Do Larger Cross-Over Stories Help or Hurt the Industry?

• 92 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Events and cross-over stories are the bread and butter of the comic book industry for a plethora of reasons. You can't have comics without having massive, cross-over events. It makes sense, and frankly, they tend to be quite a bit of fun. However, when does it become too many events? When do the events start to get so big that they start affecting a publisher's brand negatively? At what point do readers start suffering from event fatigue?

Back in 1992, Marvel released four annual books that all crossed over into one story. It was called "Citizen Kang," and it was my first experience with a cross-over story or an event. It may not be the size and complexity fans have come to know in contemporary storytelling, but it was an event of sorts. The Vision had disappeared somewhere in Wisconsin, and it involved multiple super-hero teams to help out.

No Caption Provided

Well, my memory of the story is pretty weak because I didn't buy it for the stories. I bought it because each issue of the 4-part series had bios of Marvel characters in the back. I was a sucker in the 90s. Here's the thing, I don't remember events being as jam packed as they are now. Obviously, they existed. Cross-over events like Fatal Attractions, Phalanx Covenant, X-Cutioner's Song, and Age of Apocalypse still sit strongly in my mind, but there was still breathing room in between each one. Yes, the only events I can recall are X-related events. Guess what I read as a teenager. Now, it feels like events just follow one another non-stop to the point where some readers get "event fatigue."

The idea of event fatigue is pretty simple. When you have events back-to-back-to-back, the reader becomes disenchanted with the larger stories. They start getting sick of it and want their books to grow on their own. Fans start to become skeptical with what the companies are doing and some see the events less and less as "telling a story" and more and more as "cashing in on readers." The thing is that events have both positive and negative effects on their books, characters, and companies. Although the title of this piece questions "Do Larger Cross-Over Stories Help or Hurt the Industry," there is no yes or no answer, only pros and cons.

Events and cross-overs do a lot for publishers. Aside from the cynical answer of "they make the companies money," these larger stories can easily introduce readers to new characters and creators. Many folks can say they saw their favorite character first in a larger event. It piques the interest of the reader and that curiosity usually leads them to pick up that character's on-going series or the team they're involved in. The same goes for creators involved with the event.

It's also great, story wise. Aside from whatever story the writer and artist are conveying on the page, these events normally have characters interacting with each other than normally don't. Did you ever think Jean Grey would be working with the Guardians of the Galaxy? Or how about Lex Luthor working with Batman? Normally, those things wouldn't be plausible, but in the cross-over format, these things can happen.

No Caption Provided

By far, one of the best things about events is the lead up and aftermath. One of the coolest lead-ups to an event is easily the stories that took place in NEW AVENGERS before SECRET INVASION took place. It had a very conspiracy nature to it. Who's the Skrull? Half the fun was trying to figure it out before it was revealed. As for the aftermath, FLASHPOINT surely shook things up in the DC Universe, didn't it? While a good event, on its own, tells a good story, a great event lives on in those universes, years later.

Above everything else, a good event can be a lot of fun, like a summer blockbuster. Not everything has to be Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil, or F for Fake. Sometimes, folks just wanna see something blow up. Half the fun of reading comics is being open to having a good time. It's ok to like something silly or action-packed or kinda dumb. Comics are entertainment and if you're not willing to try and be entertained, then why bother?

Not everything about events is sunshine and gumdrops on a cloud made of my childhood dreams (before they were all destroyed). Events and cross-overs both tend to muck things up for readers. First and foremost, events are incredibly repetitious. Many events can be described as "a larger than life force trying to destroy the world and it's up to heroes to stop it." If you're Marvel, many events tend to be "let's give everyone the same power and have them battle it out:" House of M (Mutants), Secret Invasion (Skrulls), Spider-Island (Spider-Man powers), Hulked-Out Heroes (Hulk powers), Fear Itself (Thor Hammers), and Avengers Vs X-Men (Phoenix Force). Sure, a few of those stories are great, but the repetition is pretty rough.

The most criminal thing about events and cross-overs is that it can interrupt other series and completely mess with characters, which results in these books not being allowed to grow on their own. There's a few pretty huge examples of this: NIGHTWING, CONSTANTINE, and PANDORA. Since early on, NIGHTWING was tied into a BATMAN story line for a large portion of its run. The books actually grew on its own incredibly well while Dick lived in Chicago, before the events of FOREVER EVIL. CONSTANTINE and PANDORA are both newer titles that were both tied into Trinity of Sin, followed by Forever Evil: Blight. Neither book really had a chance to grow on its own, as a solo series though. How could people want to read it if they don't know how it does on its own or if they know nothing about the character since there hasn't been any time to establish and development?

As stated before, there's no right or wrong answer to this question. Sure, you could say that events shouldn't cross-over into other books, but then readers would want to know how these events affect their favorite characters. Those stories could be told as mini-series tie-ins, but rarely to those books live up to their potential. There's no winning in this situation. People will be upset, regardless. The best thing to do is sit back and try to enjoy it and wait for your favorite books to return to normal. Because if there's one thing fans can rely on from Marvel and DC, it's that everything eventually returns to normal.

Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring is a loud-mouth on Twitter, a writer and podcast chap for Comic Vine, and a lover of comic books and events, believe it or not.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Sometimes crossovers are a bit too much. I liked it when it was once a while not some major event like every year.

momo111191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By momo111191

In most cases they hurt the industry. I feel like most large crossovers do an excellent job of catching peoples eyes and bringing in new readers but its what happens next that hurts the industry. the companies say "oh hey look at all the new sales we are getting lets drag this out a little longer" next thing you know we got forever evil for 5 years and every superhero is tied up in a prolonged story line. and add to that when they are happening yearly and for long periods of time they stop being special, and lose their shine. oh and the article was great read nice job mat!!!!

jrjoanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crossover events are cool but lately there has been an abundance of them. The kind of stories I like best are the character driven arcs that follow the title character intimately and brings you closer into the characters mind. Having so many events kind of diminishes the impact they should have. To me events should feel like an epic full of beautiful drama and beautiful art, much like Crisis on Infinite Earths. Some may not like Zero Year right now because of its length by I like that it takes its time building up what makes batman truly great. I wish comics would take more time just focusing on what makes the characters tick instead of going for shocking reveals and crossover events.

sithfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 57

I agree with you both your pros and cons.

Back in the 90s, I looked forward to the events because they tended to be more annual and less piled on top of each other. AoA will always be one of my favorite story lines and crossovers, mainly because it was so unique for its time and there was obviously a lot of time and energy spent into making a well crafted story as well as planning for what happened next. I would love to see these events be more limited and NOT having to continually tie into each other. Last year's Age of Ultron was barely a blip on the radar before Infinity came out.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Events wouldn't be that bad if they actually had some variation. 9 times out of 10 it'll be "oh something big happened so lets all fight each other until we figure out who's really behind it then fight them. The End." I would love to see some smaller slower events like a horror themed one that tries to scare the readers instead of 100 pages of punching or maybe a detective mystery event that drops clues the whole time so the reader can try and work it out for themselves. I know people will say Original Sin will be a mystery event but it's really not, it'll just be heroes falling out with each other over secrets and then finally fighting the bad guy.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I think they can help the industry if they're carefully planned out and put out sparingly. I think that it's important for these big publishers to give readers time to breathe between crossovers and writers time to grow their characters.

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me is simple: if it's bad, it hurts.

I stopped reading Marvel comics because of that. To many events, crossovers and reboots that are not reboots tired me.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I think they should cut down on them.

SuperSlayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SuperSlayin

I think Marvel/DC should limit the amount of major events they have. Like 1 or 2 a year. Any more than that and it gets convoluted.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men vs Avengers was the worst; it went on for what seemed like months and took over titles like Wolverine and the X-Men, barely out of the cradle, for seven or eight issues or so

Red-X17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed. Anymore we get a new one within in 6 months of a previous ones end. There should be at least a two year time limit.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You hate superheroes?! What the heck Mat!

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By leokearon

Events can be good if they are well written but often they are not, Most of Marvel's Events throw out logic and reasoning for a big stupid fight. Then there are the tie-ins which interrupt other comics and generally have little or nothing that will either impact on the main event series or the comic itself. The also tend to be dragged out (did AVsX really need to be 12 parts?)

One of the biggest flaws is that most events aren't original at all, just something we have seen before blown out of proportions and with more guest stars.

They should take say a year long break from events, just to give the writers a chance to write their own comics

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Looking at numbers only, big events are only a boon to the companies, because people will buy them, no matter how tired of events they may say they are.

Looking at it creatively, big events can be good when they are well planned out and executed, because it 'shakes the pot' of the universe they are in and opens the chances for new things to appear. They can however also be harmful, since a character or two tends to die during them, they can be disruptive if not properly prepared for, and if they come back to back, you get tired of them even before the first issue hits the stands.

My measure these days of good events is stuff like Flashpoint, lasted 5 months, all the various tie-in's lasted 3, everyone else used the time to close the shop, the effect was felt everywhere and it didn't overstay it's welcome. (I like it's structure... story was a bag of 'meh' showcasing how horrible DC's characters could have been). A bad event however is stuff like Forever Evil that had been looming ever since Flashpoint ended, it followed right on the heels of another event, every other book was either derailed by it (like Constantine) or totally ignores it (Action Comics, Wonder Woman, Animal Man and so on), it remains to be seen if anyone but Nightwing will have any lasting effects from it... and they needed an additional 2 months (almost) to the original timetable to finish it.

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crossovers are too much for Green Lantern titles, LET THEM REST!

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a bigger problem with Marvel Events then DC's. The Marvel events tend to be there to shake things up every year, but some books barely have time to find their footing again before their pulled into another event or crossover. And some books carry on as though nothing happened. I mean i've enjoyed a good amount of events over the years but if i see one more cross-over labeled as "The Biggest Event/crossover ever(since the last one) thats guaranteed to shock/forever change the Marvel Universe" i may not be able to handle it.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@cantdance93: Actually the GL books have calmed down quite a bit. Although I think another one may be coming up.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

"If you're Marvel, many events tend to be "let's give everyone the same power and have them battle it out:" House of M (Mutants), Secret Invasion (Skrulls), Spider-Island(Spider-Man powers), Hulked-Out Heroes (Hulk powers), Fear Itself (Thor Hammers), and Avengers Vs X-Men(Phoenix Force). Sure, a few of those stories are great, but the repetition is pretty rough."

Mind = blown.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer single stories.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they can be good, as they are a chance to show a universe as a cohesive whole and allow character match ups that do not ordinarily happen.

Most of them that I have read have been terrible though. 3rd army, flashpoint (terrible as it didn't make sense, especially to reboot a universe), AvX...all terrible.

I'd like to see a modern Marvel and DC crossover though.

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 58

It's like Hollywood blockbusters. Its not fair to say they are all mindless action movies that just want to show off special effects, but a lot of them end up that way. They get more interested in writing something marketable then writing something that could possibly sell itself.

Taylors005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

crossovers and events also seem to be the only time you end up seeing some characters like the last remaining "Iron Spider". His last 3 or 4 appearances have just been a flash in the background with maybe a word or 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read a Marvel or DC event for more than one issue since 2011 (not counting tie-ins).

But I do plan on reading Valiant's Armor Hunters.

NoahMcnasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they damage the industry and they always have. they spike sells and then a huge lull commences which then forces the companies to launch another event. gone are interesting stories of characters books now everything just leads into another event. Don't even get me started on variant covers.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mo characters mo problems

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally love events, my "event stamina" must be incredibly high because I do not suffer from "event fatigue" lol

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@redx17 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Agreed. Anymore we get a new one within in 6 months of a previous ones end. There should be at least a two year time limit.

Exactly!

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm personally not a fan, especially with crossovers and tie-ins. Having said that, it makes zero difference what anybody says or types here. As long as sales indicate them profitable and not detrimental, they are going to continue on, and so far, it seems all event books are monthly top ten in sales, and tie-ins show increased sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know enough about the comic industry to determine whether they hurt it. However, I will say i'm personally tired of all of these events. There are too many of them and they aren't even any fun to read. I just stopped buying them.

JaelBaez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is always how I have categorized/ranked the relationship between books from least to greatest involvement:

1) Guest-Starring (a character from one book making an appearance in another)

2) Crossover (Multiple books crossing. Ex: "The Culling", "Throne of Atlantis", "The Trial of Jean Grey")

3) Crossover Event (A large scale crossover that ONLY involves a branch of a company's universe NOT the whole company. These usually center around only one character or team. Ex: "Spider-Island," "Night of the Owls", "Battle of the Atom", "Trinity War")

4) Company Crossover Event (A large scale crossover that involves a significant amount of the entire company. These are the big "blockbuster" events. Ex: "Infinity", "Fear Itself", "Flashpoint", "Forever Evil", "Blackest Night", "Civil War".

I'm personally tired of the Company Crossover Events by Marvel. They are indeed too repetitive for me. I even skipped "Age of Ultron" altogether. I prefer DC's recent approach of only doing a Company Crossover Event (#4) every two years (Blackest Night, Flashpoint, and Forever Evil were all two years apart). It makes it more special (for me). While some of Marvel's are exceptionally good (I loved Infinity), it feels like they're just churning them out each summer. That being said, the tables turn when it comes to the regular Crossovers (#2). DC does too many of these which does NOT let the solo books run on their own. I'm tired of having Batgirl and Nightwing constantly interrupted as well as all the Green Lantern books. This is specially crucial for struggling solos that need time to themselves to improve (Supergirl, Superboy, Teen Titans). I'm not saying NEVER crossover, but DC does too many of these at that crossover level. Marvel does a great job at this, and their solos have stronger cohesion within themselves because of it.

Samuel_Simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Events wouldn't be so bad of there weren't any cross overs into over titles

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I couldn't tell you the last crossover I read. Thankfully, the Batman books only really crossover with themselves and we've been spared them in Thor, leaving me to ignore and not care what's going on in the crossovers because the main books aren't really affected. Half of my pull list is Image and they don't do crossovers. As a matter of fact, I've told my lcs owner to skip any and all issues of my current books that tie into any "events". I might read them at the bookstore when they come out in trade, but whilst they are ongoing I couldn't care less.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dislike Marvel's moreso than DC's. Mainly because they tie in to so many books for so bloody long. Looking at Mighty Avengers... its just started and was birthed into Infinity and now Original Sin and it's really friggin annoying. While the main issues are usually good (except you Age of Ultron), the tie-in books seem pointless.

As for DC, sure Forever Evil has dragged on and Trinity War just lead into it but it did tie lots of plot points that started 3 years ago and it hasn't dragged many titles down. Making limited series is a better idea. It keeps regular titles going but still gives readers a taste of what's going on on the sidelines. Plus, something spectacular like Rogues Rebellion can come out of it.

Lastly, they need to cut out the "the universe will never be the same again" line. Nobody's buying it anymore.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

The only thing a crossover event hurts is my wallet...

I have yet to read a crossover I am not entertained by. They might not go down in industry history but as long as they are entertaining to me, I don't care. A lot of people complained about AvX and Age of Ultron but I thought they were fun.

Plus for all everyone complained about Age of Ultron, as far as crossover events go that series was ridiculously self contained and had few long lasting effects. No harm no foul.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

The frequency of crossovers make them feel forced. If they grow naturally or stories are groomed so the event coming out of it feels organic then I don't mind. Otherwise it feels random and forced like Age of Ultron. Also I think events should have a shortened timeframe to prevent stagnation in other titles. Forever Evil feels like it took forever and interrupted many books it felt like. Instead of one a month for the event book they should have done two and sped it up a bit to prevent the interruption of other titles.

Just my 2 pennies.

Croi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO I think it's a little ridiculous to have them constantly. I mean, if you don't like them, what do you do for next 12 months. I don't bother with events nowadays, they just don't have the same impact as they use to.

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When the crossovers come once and a while and have actual impact yes. Sadly though at least for Marvel every time a crossover ends it seems like another two are announced and more or less undo what was done. I enjoy a great story and sometimes crossover after crossover burns me out. That being said they can be gateways into characters you may not have thought of reading.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By 2cool4fun

I think Marvel/DC should limit the amount of major events they have. Like 1 or 2 a year. Any more than that and it gets convoluted.

1 or 2 major crossovers is already too much. I don't want 2 forever evil/original sin crossovers a year.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

For the most part I think they hurt. It's aggravating having to become freakin Sherlock Holmes to track down the issues that matter to main plot and the ones that don't. They have these crossovers and put the title banner on literally everything.

• Knock it down to one major company wide crossover a year.
  • Plan it out thoroughly.
  • Let the readers know in the backs of the books what to read next, none of that check list BS.
  • Release that s**t in order (looking at you First Contact).
  • Be honest with us about what stuff matters and what doesn't.

Do those things and I'd probably look forward to these huge crossovers every year. I prefer the littler ones. The Superman books are doing a good job with them. They're very clear and I know what to look for next.

thesleuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thesleuth

I am not a fan of these big crossovers. I don't mind when 2-3 titles cross-over. But when it is this big universe-wide crossover, it feels like a money grab to me.

Harbinger wars from valiant was an example of a good crossover (mission improbable also). All of the stories told the story from the main title characters you could buy the the other crossover titles but it wasn't a nescessity. I hope the next big crossover keeps these aspects alive.

thesleuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not a fan of these big crossovers. I don't mind when 2-3 titles cross-over. But when it is this big universe-wide crossover, it feels like a money grab to me.

Harbinger wars from valiant was an example of a good crossover (mission improbable also). All of the stories told the story from the main title characters you could buy the the other crossover titles but it wasn't a nescessity. I hope the next big crossover keeps these aspects alive.

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is one of the problems that i see with marvel (more so now than dc since their relaunch involving major events) who pumps out event after event after event like their trying to make their yearly quota and that hurts the company a lot for me a event should be a EVENT case and point the Olympics are a event held every 4 years why'll the Superbowl is just the last game of the season for the NFL now both are good to watch but can you imagine if the Olympics where yearly it would lose what makes the Olympics the Olympics and it would just be another sporting event the same can be said for comics when a company like marvel pushes out like 3 major events and just as many if not more smaller events a year they lose what makes them special and just become over priced mini series's

i think events manly the bigger events should only happen at the very least 2 years because that would give the company time to think the event out months if not years in advance and deliver a good story the same goes for smaller events have them be yearly but don't over do them (like dc did with the lantern cross overs) have only one group or category of heroes have the event and then rotate the following year this way it also help out the heroes so we don't get hero fatigue

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Depends, the huge crossover stories do, at least I don't give my money. I liked Death of the Family because it was a crossover but you actually only had to get Batman to get the whole story. I bought the first Age of Ultron book but none after that. I got most of Infinity because I liked it but I haven't any other crossovers. No Battle of the Atom, Forever Evil, whatever else they have or will have going on soon. I don't buy into it. I don't want to waste my money buying comics I don't care about to get a part of a story. It's a huge money making scheme and Marvel is ripping us off at every turn. They price everything at the high end and that are putting out a lot of poor quality stories recently. They're rehashing the same characters and scenarios. That's why I like Image, they don't do that crap.

In May, Image is having a Chew/Revival crossover... Guess how many issues... 1! That's enough to get the point across and not rip us off.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main problem with events and crossovers is that there is a saturation effect. One Event every 18 months and 2-3 crossovers a year would present no problems for me. Gives the books a chance to go back to what they were doing prior to the event and develop more. So that when the next Event rolls around there are so many more undertones and variables to deal with. Would also make it more meaningful.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Events are something that I've always felt should be special and happen only every few years or so. Events were cool because it reminded you that while most of these characters we all love have their own little corner to play around in, they still share one universe. I think it's fun having a company wide event that brings in a lot of different characters from different corners together.

But lately, especially with Marvel, events are becoming more and more overused and ultimately anti-climatic for the most part. We get an event every year now, sometimes we get more than one, and it really takes away from what made events special, because we get them all the time now.

Another issue is that events also affect many of the solo-books that end up being tie-ins to those events. When you have an event, you do expect there to be some tie-ins, and with so many characters being in most events tie-ins can be a way to give a certain character some spotlight when they wouldn't otherwise. But the problem is that with so many events coming out, many back-to-back nowadays, this can harm a series as it's unable to do it's own stories or worse is forced to cut a storyline short so it can fit in with the event, which can ultimately harm the storyline.

I think events are fun, but they're something that's becoming more and more overused and more of a burden on readers, instead of something to be excited about. Events are meant to be special, bringing together characters from all over and uniting them together to face a threat none of them can defeat on their own. But because we're getting so many events now, they've slowly lost their charm and don't feel as special or unique anymore.

MasterBelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm someone who loves the shared universe concept and is always happy to see my favorite characters interact and fight alongside each other, but I get what this article's saying: it can be too much sometimes. However, not all companies with a shared universe deal with this; case in point, my two favorite comic companies besides Marvel: Valiant and Top Cow. Valiant events don't require you to read multiple books to get a proper story and Top Cow contains their events into a single series and it hardly involves other books or has much of an affect on them, so it's not necessary to read the events.

Ladyonora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all, this article was extremely well written, awesome

As a new reader, I agree with the masses here. It's too much. I already feel like I have decades of stories to catch up on to REALLY understand the characters I'm following. Yeah, there are jump on points where it does make it easier for people like me to start reading but I still feel like I'm coming into the party half way through. The huge crossovers make trying to learn and love comics way way too hard. I was really just getting into the New 52 reboot (yay! I can start from the beginning!) when all of a sudden, Trinity War and Forever Evil. I felt like I had to buy all these books to figure out what's going on, and I just can't keep up. It is extremely overwhelming.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hurt.

An event in the MU is like when you're a kid and you empty the toy chest of all your action figures on the floor of your bedroom. You want it to be fun but it ultimately is just a mess. The stories are spread so thin structurally between all of the characters that it really doesn't result in much character development either. It usually devolves into massive fights in splash pages and then some "shocking" climax. Every crossover has to be so extreme that they're always killing people in them but you should never kill characters to give a story brevity or credibility, you really don't have to. Crossovers killed Nightcrawler, Cable, Wasp, Professor Xavier (twice) and they all came back because for the brief moment they upped the stakes in the crossover, they didn't necessarily compute in the individual titles.

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm mixed on events. First thing first i would like them to be GOOD. Most events haven't been good for either company in recent memory. But ignoring that i like the concept of major things happen to the universe that alot of people need to get involved in. Things alot of them get so complicated i can't even tell you what AvsX or Age of Ultron comic were about. But still i like the concept of a major event many heroes need to get a part of. I also LOVE the concept of each heroes story and problem going on at the same time it explains why they can't always help eachother and it's just cool to think about when reading a comic. Like lets say Iron Man and Spider-Man come out on the same week. It's cool if you read Spider-Man then when you read Iron Man to think what part of the comic is happening during this part of Iron Mans comic. I think it's cool anyway. It's why i'm kind of pissed at the phase 2 timeline. It's set up so perfectly to have all of phase 2 except for Avengers 2 take place at the same time. It also explain why the heroes can't help eachother. But Iron Man 3 taken place during Christmas (which added nothing to the movie other then some Christmas one liners) ruins the whole take place at the same time theory. Anyway back to event thing. So i like thinking about how comics take place at the same time solving most contnuity problems as to why they can't help eachother. Although that's why i have a problem with team books using someone with a solo series. How does it work? Is it before or after said solo series. Like Avengers as an example. I think comics should handle it with some exceptions if you have a solo book don't put them on the team while their solo series is out. There are exceptions like Batman who you shouldn't have never be on the team but you should also always have a solo series with someone as popular as him. When that's the case have one clearly be before or after said team up.So having them end up connecting in an event is pretty freaking cool. But at the same time except for X-titles and GOTG i prefer solo/partnet comics. I don't read Avengers comics any of the Avenger comics (but that's more due to from what i have read most Avenger comics being crowded mess) i don't read Justice Leauge. I don't read Thunderbolts (although that's cause of quality if that book was good i would freaking be all over that, that is the best rogues on a team i have ever seen seriously so much potential in that team) or Suicide Squad. Because i prefer solo book except for X-titles and GOTG. So that's basically why i'm mixed on them.

If all events were good i'd probbably be more on board with them because alot have potential and like i said the whole major event it affects alot/all heroes is cool.