Do Female Characters tend to get Underrated/Overhated

• 64 results
#1 Posted by Kevd4wg (14288 posts) - - Show Bio

I've noticed that on the vine, sometimes it seems like female characters get underrated or just have very bad arguments thrown against them that people don't use against male characters. Often times a lot of hypocrisy seems to take place in these debates as well as to what's a good feat and what's consistent, etc. I'm talking both LA and comics here, but I wanted to know what you guys think, have any of you noticed this kind of thing with like MCU Carol for example

#2 Posted by KoLKent (1548 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea: Wonder Woman and MCU/Comics Captain Marvel as well.

Storm also gets lowballs a lot on this site. Like yea there's people who lowball her but she's quite clealry on par with guys like The Thing with her has. People say she would lose to Daredevil and Spider-Man.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#3 Posted by blackspidey2099 (7127 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say most people underrate them, but then there's the people like ANTHP who wank so much that the entire site's average shoots back up.

Avatar image for captain_narlowe
#4 Posted by Captain_Narlowe (284 posts) - - Show Bio

I have seen that quite a few times, but i don't know if i were maybe just in the wrong threads.

#5 Posted by RBT (30463 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely. Especially if the movie/show is too 'SJW-y'.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
#6 Posted by ITouchedTheBoat (3771 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm also gets lowballs a lot on this site. Like yea there's people who lowball her but she's quite clealry on par with guys like The Thing with her has. People say she would lose to Daredevil and Spider-Man.

I agree 100%

I also kind of feel like if Tony Stark was a woman in the MCU she'd be so hated it's ridiculous

#7 Posted by mtuske (3590 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. Characters get underrated/overrated all the time has nothing to do with gender for the most part. Now hated is different. The only one I see can any hatred is Capt Marvel amd that was mainly due to her shoehorned into a story she didn't need to be in. Tokenized characters get hated and should mainly due to the cheese factor.

#8 Posted by DC1008 (407 posts) - - Show Bio

You should spent your time with Ted

#9 Posted by DC1008 (407 posts) - - Show Bio

Like male characters females also have there fair share of wankers and lowballers

#10 Posted by kgb725 (20001 posts) - - Show Bio

@mtuske said:

Not really. Characters get underrated/overrated all the time has nothing to do with gender for the most part. Now hated is different. The only one I see can any hatred is Capt Marvel amd that was mainly due to her shoehorned into a story she didn't need to be in. Tokenized characters get hated and should mainly due to the cheese factor.

Then why was she being hated before her first movie even came out ?

@dc1008 said:

Like male characters females also have there fair share of wankers and lowballers

This is not true at all. Women have more. Look at Mad max fury road a lot of men were pissed about how much emphasis the women had and people are complaining about the new Terminator and the movie hasnt released.

#11 Posted by Batvibe12 (6108 posts) - - Show Bio

Both.

#12 Posted by King-Ragnar (5175 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#13 Posted by mtuske (3590 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: I think that was because many people saw the shoehorn and how they went out of their way to say she the most powerful, strongest and bestest hero ever in the MCU. Everybody loves Scarlett Witch and Black Widow so it's not just a female thing.

#14 Posted by TobyMaguire (1376 posts) - - Show Bio

@mtuske said:

@kgb725: I think that was because many people saw the shoehorn and how they went out of their way to say she the most powerful, strongest and bestest hero ever in the MCU. Everybody loves Scarlett Witch and Black Widow so it's not just a female thing.

Oh yeah bro! Scarlet witch is powerful than males, I totally accept it. When did you become such a Cuck?

#15 Posted by mtuske (3590 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobymaguire: Um what lol. How is thinking Scarlett Witch is more powerful than males equilivant to being a cuck? She's a glass cannon but her output is the best.

#16 Posted by TobyMaguire (1376 posts) - - Show Bio

@mtuske said:

@tobymaguire: Um what lol. How is thinking Scarlett Witch is more powerful than males equilivant to being a cuck? She's a glass cannon but her output is the best.

Oh my God! What did they do to you!

Avatar image for detectivesomerset__
#17 Posted by DetectiveSomerset__ (1753 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say most people underrate them, Storm and WW are underrated.

Captain marvel is overrated and worse than scarlet witch.

#18 Posted by HERMES1220 (1411 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I’d say

#19 Posted by EliseRean (24 posts) - - Show Bio

@detectivesomerset__: I have to disagree. Scarlet Witch is really overrated. But I see people dislike/hate her because of other issues, not because of she's powerful or female.

#20 Posted by DetectiveSomerset__ (1753 posts) - - Show Bio

@detectivesomerset__: I have to disagree. Scarlet Witch is really overrated. But I see people dislike/hate her because of other issues, not because of she's powerful or female.

SW Is a glass cannon but she did well aganist thanos and people are putting excuses like "she speedblitzed and also was mad , lol" Shes disliked because she wasnt needed in MCU.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#22 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (5223 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I do think certain characters like Carol and Rey can ruin movies, and Marvel has butchered its comics by diversifying and ignoring writing...

But overall I'd say it's a bit of both, as it is with everything else.

#23 Posted by ourmanuel (13843 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say most people underrate them, but then there's the people like ANTHP who wank so much that the entire site's average shoots back up.

No Caption Provided

#24 Posted by EliseRean (24 posts) - - Show Bio

@detectivesomerset__: SW's thing is she did really bad things before, in both the movies and comics. She did well in fighting with Thanos also because of he killed her lover and Thanos had no idea about her power. But she still failed, anyway. I'm female and I prefer Carol. At least she's more stable and helped a lot of people aroud the universe.

#25 Posted by death4bunnies (3359 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup

#26 Posted by Giojoestar (224 posts) - - Show Bio

unfortunately they tend to be most of the time

#27 Posted by baph (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

Men are superior to Women.

#28 Posted by TobyMaguire (1376 posts) - - Show Bio

@baph said:

No.

Men are superior to Women.

Yes! Destroy them with Logic and Facts

#29 Posted by Bayman007 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a bit silly if that's the case. I personally think not.

#30 Edited by DetectiveSomerset__ (1753 posts) - - Show Bio

@eliserean: kinda but she did overpower thanos , if she had durability she would have soloed him but she lost cause PLOT

Same reason why Star Lord hit thanos and why strange didn’t do anything in endgame final battle

14 millions future is a plot hole

Thanos anyways would get fodderizzed if it was a serious scene.

#31 Posted by CocaColaMan (1762 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. You just have to know which females to look at.

#32 Posted by EliseRean (24 posts) - - Show Bio

@detectivesomerset__: I totally agree she's very powerful. But she needs an Undisturbed Environment and enough time to kill Thanos, which I believe there're other heros can do the same. It's not just plot, it's her limitation. She needs to focus mind continuously to use power, but her mind is not so strong as well, she's easily to be interfered.

Oh please, if Strange really didn't do anything the whole battlefield would be disrupted by the flood then the outcome would be changed. He just didn't fight with Thanos. Yes, this is plot. Strange is nearly omniscient perspective in EG, this kind of characters are not easy to handle tbh. So I personally think his plot is not unreasonable.

It's nothing to do with 14000605. Whatever the number is, Marvel studios is only gonna give us one ending.

Well, anyway plot is important to characters. Quill got so much hate after IW. While I have no hate on him and Wanda, I just prefer Carol.

#33 Posted by DetectiveSomerset__ (1753 posts) - - Show Bio

@detectivesomerset__: I totally agree she's very powerful. But she needs an Undisturbed Environment and enough time to kill Thanos, which I believe there're other heros can do the same. It's not just plot, it's her limitation. She needs to focus mind continuously to use power, but her mind is not so strong as well, she's easily to be interfered.

Oh please, if Strange really didn't do anything the whole battlefield would be disrupted by the flood then the outcome would be changed. He just didn't fight with Thanos. Yes, this is plot. Strange is nearly omniscient perspective in EG, this kind of characters are not easy to handle tbh. So I personally think his plot is not unreasonable.

It's nothing to do with 14000605. Whatever the number is, Marvel studios is only gonna give us one ending.

Well, anyway plot is important to characters. Quill got so much hate after IW. While I have no hate on him and Wanda, I just prefer Carol.

Yet but people arguing on "that was the only way in 14 millions when we know it isnt true. Captain marvel , wanda , strange all could solo EG Thanos but they needed that ENDING . you understand?

People claim those ridicolous statements as "thanos didnt come cause odin , so odin is powerful yet still featless? hope you understand what i meant.

#34 Posted by AndrewGarfield (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes and it's sad. We should treat female heros with respect!

#35 Posted by Michaelbn (3094 posts) - - Show Bio

They're usually underrated because a large number of readers of American superhero comicbooks are men though there are exceptional characters like WW and Scarlett Witch either for being super sexy or else. However when they make smug cocky bitches like MCU Karl Manvers that's where everyone lose their shit.

#36 Posted by Soratoumiga (5524 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Storm for example

#37 Posted by FaradaySloth (12207 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmao

#38 Posted by Mooty_Pass (10704 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say this is really 50/50 here.

There are some Male Heroes that do get treated the same and are underrated. But if we are just speaking for Female Heroes it's:

• Wonder Woman
  • Storm
  • Captain Marvel

Only, because people don't seem to want to give them credit for what they can actually do. Put aside the Wanking people still won't acknowledge them as powerful as someone else. Really they are THE most underrated females in CV. Zatanna and She-Hulk are next behind them.

And the worst part is you dare not go into any debate using these girls it will never end. And any information that gets passed around about them is from other users posting Low-showings.

It's sucks, but it is what it..........

Agreed.

#39 Posted by kalkent (3763 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmao at cap marvel being under-rated, she is super over-rated.

#40 Edited by Mooty_Pass (10704 posts) - - Show Bio

@kalkent said:

How So?

Avatar image for jjonahjamesonjr
#41 Posted by JJonahJamesonJr (23 posts) - - Show Bio

@kalkent said:

How So?

Look at his name. He is a Superbrick fanboy

#42 Posted by JJonahJamesonJr (23 posts) - - Show Bio

They're usually underrated because a large number of readers of American superhero comicbooks are men though there are exceptional characters like WW and Scarlett Witch either for being super sexy or else. However when they make smug cocky bitches like MCU Karl Manvers that's where everyone lose their shit.

This is peak inceldom

#43 Posted by Michaelbn (3094 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by kalkent (3763 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Edited by JJonahJamesonJr (23 posts) - - Show Bio

@michaelbn said:

@the_red_viper

#46 Posted by mimisalome (5877 posts) - - Show Bio

For many cases yes, but that's because they exist in a shared universe that is already crowded with well establish popular characters.

They have to compete with popular male characters that have tons of histories of feats under their belt.

#47 Posted by Scarlet_Wiccan (356 posts) - - Show Bio

Invisible Woman is living proof that certain female characters can be underrated while others are overrated like Captain Carol

#48 Posted by MetalJimmor (6838 posts) - - Show Bio

Some do. But so do male characters. For the most part the female characters that are underrated are underrated because of reasons beyond just being female. At least for most users.

Wonder Woman, as an example, tends to be underrated because she's from the DCEU and therefore in "competition" with various MCU fan favorites. Same holds true for Aquaman. It isn't a gender thing, it is a fandom rivalry thing.

#49 Posted by ByondEon (2961 posts) - - Show Bio

@mtuske: And she was not tokenized, so your point is moot.

OT: Yes, a lot actually. They tend to get more hate and get's underrated a lot.

There are only a few I can think of that get's overrated and that is Gamora and Cheetah..

Some do. But so do male characters. For the most part the female characters that are underrated are underrated because of reasons beyond just being female. At least for most users.

Wonder Woman, as an example, tends to be underrated because she's from the DCEU and therefore in "competition" with various MCU fan favorites. Same holds true for Aquaman. It isn't a gender thing, it is a fandom rivalry thing.

This is absolutely false.

When there is a debate about a male character vs a male character, usually, either noone get's underrated/overrated. Or one get's but the other doesn't.

Then both of those characters get's put against another female hero, suddenly, the feats that was outliers or straight up didn't count in teh male vs male fight suddenly apply.

Case in point, Toby McGuire or whatever his name is is a perfect example of this (there are MANY other users who does it too).

#50 Edited by vengefulshot (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt said:

Definitely. Especially if the movie/show is too 'SJW-y'.

This for the most part. Also people can't seem to dis-connect reality from comics/anime.

Sure in real life men are stronger than women and therefor superior in a fight (usually, always a few exceptions). But in the forms of entertainment mentioned, you have characters that can reality warp on universal levels, shoot fire with their hands, fly etc. The "men are stronger than women" argument falls flat, but I think some people subconsciously still apply that logic to the battle forums, and therefor underrate the women.