Do feats have to follow real world science in movies?

Avatar image for deactivated-61a1b6940ec47
deactivated-61a1b6940ec47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do feats have to follow real world science in movies? (27 votes)

Yes 7%
No 93%

Electricity/Lightning

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Black holes

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Nukes in space

No Caption Provided

Star beams

No Caption Provided

Should we ignore high end feats because the character has lower ones?

i personally feel if a character could fight a lightning timer, it's cause they were on an equal level of speed, not that the lightning was fake

or if they could hurt a guy who survived a nuke, it's not because that nuke was weak, its cause they were strong. Even if their punches don't visually compare to nukes.

What do you think?

• 
Beyonder97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie don't follow real world science at all

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Unless the writers are willing to go full-on hard sci-fi, being more scientifically accurate won't make the movie any better or worse, and won't make the feat cooler. I say this as someone who loves both science and hard sci-fi.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Unless the writers are willing to go full-on hard sci-fi, being more scientifically accurate won't make the movie any better or worse, and won't make the feat cooler. I say this as someone who loves both science and hard sci-fi.

Pretty much spot on.

Emanresu_20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feats would be impossible to compare at that point. When a feat is given context in the script it’s best to go with what the writers intended to portray.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, otherwise dumb viners here can’t take the time to fan calc everything.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's called "fiction" for a reason.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mimisalome

If the fiction has its own definition and representation of what a lightning, or a black hole, or a nuke is then no.

Otherwise you cannot claim that something is a lightning, or black hole, or a nuke when it doesn't behave like one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course.....we wouldn't have anything to discuss otherwise. Every discussion would end with 'because comucs'

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I don't think people realize how far things are from making sense in a CBM. Logically when someone flies and lifts a large object they should automatically fly through it. Or if they are on the ground their entire body should automatically be pushed straight down into the ground. Or if they punch someone and send them flying they should go flying themselves.

To many things don't make perfect sense. We'd have to ignore the majority of feats.

But while I don't think we should discredit every feat due to science I also think some feats are too far. Some just go beyond my suspension of disbelief. Sometimes it's so crazy that I think the filmmakers simply didn't have any clue what they where talking about or they didn't mean what they seemed to mean. Especially if it's say a random detail and not something that has significant emphasis put on it.

For instance it's very difficult for me to buy into the 300 DB feat for DCEU Superman. I honestly think the filmmakers must not have known what they where talking about when they said that.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
plotweapon16255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should have some minimum level of real world science otherwise the feat would contradict itself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Obviously not.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, that's why its called fiction

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nuke that Superman took was weak and because it was in space it doesn't count tho. Thor >>>>>> Superman.