• 126 results
#1 Edited by Mister_Surreal (10272 posts) - - Show Bio

Before I begin, I would just like to say I am not trying to insult these characters or those who enjoy them but would just like to have a real discussion. I love both of them profoundly and say that they deserve all of their popularity. My main issue here is that I feel like DC is giving them too much spotlight and in turn is sidelining characters who have a lot of potential.

DC stories often revolver around these two big characters and stories that aren't even about them often turn into ones that are about them. If they paid more attention to characters like Shazam, Cyborg, Martian Manhunter and many others they could greatly expand the popularity of different characters and increase the size of fan bases rather then relying on two characters.

Again, they are the two most important DC characters so it isn't surprising that they get so much attention, but I can't help but feel that other characters get robbed of a lot of different opportunities because of them. Before this turns into a toxic Batman fanboy vs Superman fanboy thread or a thread where people throw stupidly unjustified insults, please keep in mind that these are fictional characters.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#2 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (4627 posts) - - Show Bio

Unintentional bait.

Also, if your thread ends with a question, the answer is always no, lol

#3 Posted by Mister_Surreal (10272 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (4627 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: You know how fickle the fanbases are here, they'd get triggered by a implication, let alone a comparison between these two dudes.

This thread is ultra bait, even if you don't actually know it.

Edit: Why are you tagging me for messages and then deleting them? Keep them up, if you don't mind.

#6 Edited by Mister_Surreal (10272 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: If people can grow the h*ll up then that won't be a problem. Threads are only bait if they aren't mature enough to have a real conversation without their bias dictating every comment that they make.

Edit: I erased it because my line of reasoning has changed. But I will keep them up in the future if that's what you prefer.

#7 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (4627 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: If people can grow the h*ll up then that won't be a problem. Threads are only bait if they aren't mature enough to have a real conversation without their bias dictating every comment that they make.

Well this'll make the bait worse then, lol

You can't expect fanboyz to have a mature and serious discussion. It ain't happening.

#8 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (4021 posts) - - Show Bio

How feckin dare u put BATMAN the GOD ALMIGHTY in the same sentence as Supergay who wears drawers OUTSIDE of his pants and wears glasses as a disguise? Ridiculous bs this thred needs to be locked asap idc bout discussions don't u ever and I mean ever put them in the same sentence again unless u mean business

#9 Posted by Mister_Surreal (10272 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: I wouldn't call this bait. That would imply that I went out of my way to make people angry by trolling. This is more so a thread that is dangerous make even when there are no hostile intentions.

#10 Edited by Mister_Surreal (10272 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: OK, relax. Let the moderators lock this if matters grows to that level. All you are doing is adding fuel to the potential fire.

#12 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (4627 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: I wouldn't call this bait. That would imply that I went out of my way to make people angry by trolling. This is more so a thread that is dangerous make even when there are no hostile intentions.

That's why I said unintentional bait, not just bait.

This is a dangerous thread bruv. You walking into a snake pit that men have spent years in. That takes a specific kind of gut to do so.

If you are looking for mature, civilised discussions on CV, then erm, maybe look somewhere else, lol

#13 Edited by Supermanthor (18980 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: they are DC is biggest heroes they are worlds finest they along with spider Man are the true Trinity of superhero comics ( sorry ww fanboys you know this is ture )

#14 Edited by Supermanthor (18980 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: they have some of best stories and that being said they are overrated for sure it's the fanboys

Avatar image for theinsufferable
#15 Edited by TheInsufferable (2691 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it is valid criticism. DC has always relied too much on them. Lots of their other titles feel like market fillers at this point.

#16 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (4021 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: k fine. Lol.

OT: Yes they do. Tbh I love Batman and I wouldn't care if they nonstop made good stories and games about him but like you said, other characters need at least some room in the spotlight to redeem them. Like honestly I'd love a green arrow game. Or something like that. Development of other characters is just as important as the main character's development.

#17 Posted by Supermanthor (18980 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: also Superman maybe well known but he isn't a cash cow like wolverine or iron Man .

Avatar image for deactivated-5bec432fac697
#18 Posted by deactivated-5bec432fac697 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Disrespecting Batgod

This is blasphemy

#19 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (4021 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5bec432fac697
#20 Posted by deactivated-5bec432fac697 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: True that

Superman and Batman are iconic characters and deserve to get the attention

I agree though that other characters should also be given attention

#21 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (4021 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by Mister_Surreal (10272 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanthor: I wouldn't say that they are overrated, that means that the get praise they is unearned. My opinion is that it's really a matter of them taking up a lot of space in DC's agenda of characters.

#23 Edited by Mister_Surreal (10272 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: @tutu246: This is what I wanted, people having a conversation without pulling out guns on each another.

#24 Edited by King_Krown (1209 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: BOI,I KNOW YOU JUST DIDN'T SAY THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME NAME IN THE SAME SENTENCE AS "iM ThE BatMaN,im TeH nIgHt" Superman is teh greatest bateman smells. da song even says it.

@mister_surreal Yea basically. I love them both, but yea. I think the CW stuff has done a decent job trying out lesser known/less popular characters. For the most part,I think they just fear the financial loss of using a lesser known character and people not buying into it. So they stick to what sells and what catches eyes .. but if they got consistent with their content people would buy into almost anything they do.

Marvel made Ant-man,Black Panther(A lot didn't know of him) & Guardians big. Which is thanks to their previous track record.

#25 Edited by biswaboxz (3642 posts) - - Show Bio

Well this two characters have certain amount of popularity which certainly creates larger audience . For large audience , they are given bigger spotlight .

#26 Posted by Supermanthor (18980 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: they are this why I like about marvel that they don't let spiderman take too much space

#27 Posted by Mister_Surreal (10272 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_krown: What a rational statement. One thing that the Arrowverse has been doing right is making smaller characters into stars while keeping the major ones easter eggs. The only A list DC character to take a notable amount of attention is The Flash, but to be fair he is the only huge CW character.

#28 Posted by Mister_Surreal (10272 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by tensor (8442 posts) - - Show Bio

DC tries different stuff all the time even now.

They have some new comic characters like Brimstone, Sideways. Damage.

#30 Posted by Supermanthor (18980 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by King-Ragnar (3849 posts) - - Show Bio

They're their flagship characters, that's why.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
#32 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (2114 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, as the third member of the Trinity I'd like Wonder Woman to be the deciding factor in a few DC crossover events instead of inconsequential like she is so much of the time.

#33 Posted by DeathandGrim (4828 posts) - - Show Bio

DC, as evidenced by pretty much the last few years of content, doesn't much care for fresh and new. Especially in the movies department, my god. If they even think a movie might be slightly risky they actually throw Batman in it lol that's not a joke ... They canceled Green Lantern: TAS because of the movie despite the show being very well received. They've focused so much of their animated movie efforts on Batman.

Very little attention is ever paid to ever taking a risk and sticking with it outside of the surprisingly fleshed out Arrowverse. A universe that should signal out that people like other characters from your roster maybe you can strike while the iron is... semi-warm. IIRC Arrowverse doesn't pull like higher than avg 5.2 mill viewers across all shows but still that's a least a million fans per show they should take advantage.

But fortunately I do think they've heard the fans out and are pushing for more riskier content these days. Thanks to the new app they can safely experiment without the fickleness of TV/Theaters and play by their own rules. Titans is... surprisingly good. It has an arrowverse style approach. Young Justice is returning with Virgil Hawkins joining the main cast, two things fans have been petitioning nonstop for years. Swamp Thing and Harley Quinn are getting solo attention. And this new road is open to a lot more possibilities in the future should the app produce results.

So coming back to the original question I think that, thanks to the Hindenburg-esque failure of the original vision of the DCEU, DC has realized their two favorite cash cows need a break as they aren't as reliable on name alone to break even anymore. And that the efforts to expand are worth taking.

#34 Posted by Apocofist (3028 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman getting too much attention?

I knew his stealth was overrated.

#35 Posted by jay_z94 (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

This is actually true.

When I think of Marvel, characters like Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Wolverine, Iron Man, X-Men and Fantastic 4 spring to mind. When I think of DC, literally only Superman and Batman spring to mind.

Avatar image for christianrapper
#36 Posted by christianrapper (6165 posts) - - Show Bio

it's because they are the most well known. it's really only batman really. most writers are trying to find ways to depower superman. when something really big happens he seems to always get hurt or taken out since he can just solve a lot of problems if he just used all of his powers...which he never does.

#37 Posted by Nucleon (3198 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: they are DC is biggest heroes they are worlds finest they along with spider Man are the true Trinity of superhero comics ( sorry ww fanboys you know this is ture )

That's true, Well, at least it was until more or less 10 years ago.

But even in that time, Marvel wasn't about Spider Man like DC was about Superman, for exemple. Like we say here, when Superman isn't on-panel in any DC story, charaters wonder where he is, or shill about how great he is. It's ridiculous.

Superman overshadows characters that once were quite big before being absorbed and "housebroken" by DC. Characters that directly influenced big Marvel ones, such as the Fantastic Four and the 1960s' comic revolution. Among my favorites are Captain Marvel, the Creeper, John Constantine, the whole JSA, Etrigan and Ragman.

#38 Edited by walkermoore49 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

GOOD

#39 Edited by WhyZoSerious (1722 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course they do. Because the other DC characters are barely recognized around the world. People have heard of Wonder Woman and Flash, but outside of their fanbase nobody gives a damn about them. Especially for Flash.

Marvel has X-men, Fantastic Four,Captain America, Wolverine, Hulk, Iron man, Black Panther, thor, Iron man and here comes Spidey. He is great, this little bug indeed, but it's not even close to the influence that Batman and Superman have.

And given the fact that outside of his fanbase, which is extremely annoying and cancerous, Superman is the most hated character ever, I'd say - yes, they definitely given Batman too much attention. that amount of attention leads to too many attempts, the too many attempts lead to too many failures, the too many failures lead to pile of s**t that is perfectly displayed in DCEU and the recent comic books.

So Marvel has 20 relatable characters along Spidey, while DC has 2+1(if we count WW but her influence is gone with the rise of MCU female characters).

#40 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

Popular characters are popular for a reason... but that said I agree that the duo is just sucking up all the air in the room and other characters that could be great seem to get shuffled aside.

Like if you take Batman, his editors appear to be able to do anything they want with the characters they manage, regardless of what others might be doing. Nightwing is a prime example, all through the New 52 Nightwing could not get a decent run going or forge a different path before Scott Snyder came up with a new idea and Nightwing was yanked back to Gotham to take part. Move him to Florida? Come back the Court of Owls story needs you for a cameo. Set up a circus of your own? Whoops Joker just killed half the artists and the rest shunned Dick. Go to Chicago? nope you have to come back and get lightly killed as an afterthought in a bad event. There seemed to be a pause in this during Grayson, but it's back now when Percy's tech-focused run came to an abrupt end together with his Titans team when King decided Dick would be much improved with a bullet in his skull.

#41 Edited by Marishtar (2052 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanthor said:

No Caption Provided

Dude you should better inform yourself what trinity actually refers to, you basically just called Spidey the most important and popular female superhero and their archetype XDXDXD

Wondy is just part of the trinity because she is the most important and popular female superhero period and the archetype of that kind of character, not because of overall popularity among superheroes or comic characters in general. Batman would be in quite a few years the only top 3 most popular comic hero of the trinity.

#42 Posted by Marishtar (2052 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes depends, there are years where it's true and other years where that not happens with him.

For Batman is it basically always true though, so i 100% agree about him.

#43 Edited by Supermanthor (18980 posts) - - Show Bio

@marishtar: did you even understand my comment.i said these marvel and DC as a whole when I said they are the true Trinity I mean they are the biggest names when it comes to pop culture no amount of crap can change that she was never , never came close to what spider Man in terms of property . So don't overreacted .

#44 Posted by Havenless (3003 posts) - - Show Bio

If they get less face time, DC as a whole gets less face time.

#45 Edited by Supermanthor (18980 posts) - - Show Bio

@marishtar: and hey bilnd ww fanboy don't overreact on this I never said spide man is more iconic than wonder woman or something so if you have something better than tag me and reply with your cheap crap memes like the 90 % time you ww fans do than tag other wise not I don't have time stupid things like this

#46 Edited by Marishtar (2052 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanthor said:

@marishtar: did you even understand my comment when I said they are the true Trinity I mean they are the biggest names when it comes to pop culture no amount of crap can change that she was never , never came close to what spider Man in terms of property . So don't overreacted .

Lol the only 1 overreacting here is you, there is no such thing as a true Trinity of pop cultere and neither Spidey nor any other comic book character besides Batman and Supes would be even part of that by a long shot.

You can't call out Wondy fanboys by creating your own fantasy Trinity and than act like a hardcore Spidey fanboy. And seriously, you get slowly pretty annoying with your constant tries to attack the Wondy fanbase maybe calm a bit down and order your priorities here.

#47 Edited by Supermanthor (18980 posts) - - Show Bio

@marishtar: here I am overrating sure lol . you are the one making a drama with posting some gifs if you are smart enough you can avoid my post but nope

Own fanatsy Trinity LOL those three are the biggest name . I never been a hardcore spidy fanboy your wonder woman can will never come close let alone beat her .

right now you annoying me you replied me first with your crap not me .

And Don't reply again with your crap

#48 Posted by Marishtar (2052 posts) - - Show Bio

@marishtar: and hey bilnd ww fanboy don't overreact on this I never said spide man is more iconic than wonder woman or something so if you have something better than tag me and reply with your cheap crap memes like the 90 % time you ww fans do than tag other wise not I don't have time stupid things like this

@marishtar: here I am overrating sure lol .if you are smart enough you cam avoid my post but the saltness is clear

Own fanatsy Trinity LOL those three are the biggest name . I never been a hardcore spidy fanboy your wonder woman can will never come close let alone beat her .

right now you annoying me you replied me first with your crap not me

What a desperate cry for attention, grow the f up and search for a better hobby than attacking fanbases of comic book characters in a random comic forum.

What you do here is trolling 101 and you look like some insecure little boy if you need to do such crap.

#49 Edited by Supermanthor (18980 posts) - - Show Bio

@marishtar: my advise keep your crap advise to your self and mind your own business again who truly stared this drama over this comic book character crap . The only one Desperately crying for attention is you

Keep you carp with you 108 and you act like some 80 year old you still giveing his crap advise without noticeing he is on the internet

#50 Edited by Marishtar (2052 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanthor said:

@marishtar: my advise keep your crap advise to your self and mind your own business again who truly stared that drama over this comic book character crap . The only

one Desperatelyy crying for attention is you

Keep you carp with you 108 and you act like some 80 year old you still giveing his crap advise without noticeing he is on the internet

Sigh, please just go back to the kindergarten.