Do Asian/Eastern films have Horror Icons like us?

DeathGorath444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You know when you talk about American Horror Icons you think of Jason, Freddy, Michael, Pinhead, Chucky, Leatherface, Leprechaun, Wishmaster, Candyman, Ghostface & monster icons like Pumpkinhead, The Creeper, Critters, Jaws, Alien, Predator etc . . . . I was just wondering if Japan or Asia had any horror icons like we do that came from the 80's - 00's

The only ones I could think of are Godzilla(Original suppose to be a bad guy) The Ring girl & The Tree Demon from Chinese Ghost Story imo from what I know.

Maybe someone may have better knowledge on J-Horror history here?

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ms__omega
DeathGorath444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have more ghost like creatures and demons than slashers like in America.

Here is a link to a list of creatures and monsters in Japan for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures_from_Japan

These are more like folk tale creatures, like the chupacabra or something. I meant a famous horror character that has been in multiple films & the character being an icon in the east like the examples above, But as you've stated they don't have slashers but maybe there is a iconic Ghost/Demon killer over there.

Another possible Horror icon I though of is The Metal Fetishist from The Tetsuo series.

ShenKuei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathgorath444: Sadako (the ghost girl from the Japanese version of "The Ring") is the only really popular one that I know of. Aside from that it's like @ms__omega said. They use more "traditional" ghosts and monsters.

American horror icons are also well known there. I've seen at least a handful of obvious references to Jason in anime. In GTO for example, Onizuka arm-wrestles a Jason lookalike.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ms__omega

@deathgorath444: Read some of the entries on that link I posted lots of thoses creatures have been used in asian horror films example the Onyro it's a japanese vengance ghost like in the ring and in the movie Ju-On (The Grudge)