Opinion

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Disney did help, but Marvel was on the path to ruin before Disney.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think Disney did wonders for Marvel's financial success

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb
deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah Disney did helped in terms of popularity but at same time it also dampened quality of many comics which are related to MCU .

Avatar image for perchtakedownog
PerchTakedownOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PerchTakedownOG

@supermanthor: lol this thread.

"Disney did help, but Marvel was on the path to ruin before Disney."

Marvel becomes number one entertainment franchise in the world but somehow they've had one foot in the grave the whole time?...yeah, no.

TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perchtakedownog: Don't worry, I'm not talking about MCU. Contrary to popular belief, Marvel is a bit more than just MCU.

DaSwiftness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theinsufferable: but doesn't Marvel dominate even in those other areas. I don't see any objective opinion proving Marvel is losing anywhere.

TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheInsufferable

@daswiftness: Just read some of their comics and evaluate it yourself, it shouldn't be that hard. I never said they're losing the market, I'm talking about the decline in quality (which is a thing for DC too).

But even if we're talking about sales, DC has overtook Marvel in sales for a number of months in the last 2,3 years, which is something that didn't happen between 2011-2016.

Plus, the difference between Marvel and DC's market share has been decreasing in 2015-2018, which you can check here. http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No!

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perchtakedownog: Don't worry, I'm not talking about MCU. Contrary to popular belief, Marvel is a bit more than just MCU.

From what I understood however, is that while the general consensus is that Marvel comics suck at the moment, its profitability has little bearing on Disney since its a sunset industry. The only huge potential value that Marvel comics has is the intellectual property which the Marvel movies get their characters and stories from.

So therefore Marvel comics can continue to suck and the Disney conglomerate will barely bat an eyelid. Its eyes will be on the movies and perhaps the merchandise they can sell given the movies.

DaSwiftness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theinsufferable: subjective loss or bust.

Last I checked Marvel is on track to beat DC by 100% dollar share 2018 in comic sales.

Excluding the three years Marvel went bankrupt it's been over 60 years since DC won a year. There's no point in having this discussion.

I think because of Marvels success the hate for their comics have become extremely exgerrated. But that's just my opinion.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theinsufferable: subjective loss or bust.

Last I checked Marvel is on track to beat DC by 100% dollar share 2018 in comic sales.

Excluding the three years Marvel went bankrupt it's been over 60 years since DC won a year. There's no point in having this discussion.

I think because of Marvels success the hate for their comics have become extremely exgerrated. But that's just my opinion.

Does it matter whether Marvel beat DC in comics? Both are in a dying industry called comic books. This is like asking which corpse has less of a bad smell.

The sales of the movies and merchandise that resulted from the movies are the more important numbers to the companies utilizing the DC/Marvel intellectual properties.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of Marvel's best writing came after Disney bought it

supermanthor2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheInsufferable

@daswiftness said:

No offense, but did you actually read their comics before forming this opinion or are you just going by statistics? Because I'm talking as a disappointed Marvel fan, not as a salty Marvel hater.

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No offense, but did you actually read their comics before forming this opinion or are you just going by statistics? Because I'm talking as a disappointed Marvel fan, not as a salty Marvel hater.

true.

Marvel wasn't bad, Disney made money for them but with MCU the focus from comics had been picked up. Still there are a few comics that you can read and enjoy.

Lord_Titan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not necessarily

Emanresu_20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Emanresu_20

At the moment Disney is the best thing going for Marvel

goku9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

true.

Marvel wasn't bad, Disney made money for them but with MCU the focus from comics had been picked up. Still there are a few comics that you can read and enjoy.

This is the true summary of whole discussion.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

DaSwiftness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DaSwiftness

@theinsufferable: over the last two years I've probably read over $2000 in comics. I'm not concerned with validating my opinion. And I won't BS you with the same. Doesn't matter.

That's why I'm keeping it objective. Objectively Marvel is the clear market leader and it's not close. Not concerned with fake fanboy consensus neither. I'm only discussing facts.

mega6382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how so?

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They destroyed the comic department.I won't talk about the movies cause i really dislike CBM's unless it's a non-superhero related. The comics generally(generally is a important word here don't give me few exceptions.) turned a lot more childish and politically correct. Especially the mainstream series, some of them literally makes my eyes bleed. I haven't seen an era as bad as this one in Marvel Comics.

TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daswiftness: Well, here's the thing. If you look at #1, the thread asks for opinion. Meaning, a subjective qualitative assessment. So why exactly should I discuss sales, which is an objective quantitative assessment?

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel as a whole?? I don't know. But there are things Disney helped with as well.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MAZAHS117  Online

Ruined? MARVEL may not be my cup of tea anymore, but ruined? Nah

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

At the moment Disney is the best thing going for Marvel

DaSwiftness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DaSwiftness

@theinsufferable: so. Still not concerned with validating my opinion. It's not a person on CV I respect that much. Lol If you don't like it...oh well.

So I just stick with facts.

Also I think arguing opinion is one of the most garbage time wasters of all time. Especially on CV where 90% of opinions are fanboy biased.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ChaosKnight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ChaosKnight75

Didnt do much for the comics, though those were already going downhill because of the kind of people Marvel hires to do them.

Made them a complete juggernaut in the film industry, especially with the Avengers movies. Even got others like 20th Century Fox to step up their game with their own superhero movies like Deadpool and Logan.

Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if any movie nowadays makes tops just for being a Marvel film

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Please given the discrepancy between the quality of marvel products disney is highly involved and invested in such as the mcu and the comics they give completely free reign because they basically make peanuts anyways for them, I'll say we're better off, if Disney gets way more involved. I mean it's hard to believe they ruined it, of the only thing they did over at marvel comcis the last years was probably to tell them to cut the crap with Nick Spencers nazi captain america and wrap it up, put of fear that the controversy and rise of neonazi group using captain america in their propaganda could hurt the captain america movie brand.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics wise yes

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Financial wise, no.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: honestly, agreed

Hickman’s Marvel Saga being one of the biggest examples (and one of the best sagas since Claremont’s Dark Phoenix Saga imo)

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jay_z94
Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hickman’s Marvel Saga being one of the biggest examples (and one of the best sagas since Claremont’s Dark Phoenix Saga imo)

Yep Hickman came to mind when saying that as well as stuff like God of Thunder and Ultimates(by Ewing)

Doctor__Hanlon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Disney did wonders for Marvel's financial success

Very true!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb
deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah but after SW , All New All Different Marvel ruined that too .

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theinsufferable: Just read some of their comics and evaluate it yourself, it shouldn't be that hard. I never said they're losing the market, I'm talking about the decline in quality (which is a thing for DC too).

I must admit I left the market a few years back, but from what I seen, the art is fine. On the other hand, DC's art took some kind of a dive, as their art standards were always above Marvel in the past (if more conservative).

Marvel can't be in worse shape than in the 90's Iron Age. These things ebb and flow.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Disney helped propel Marvel to megastardom with a movie universe that reliably makes billions

Comic Side Marvel screwed themselves by trying to force too much change too quickly and awkwardly.