Digital comics vs paper

• 104 results
MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@socmalig: If you're using comixology, they're usually the same price. However if you read collections on the PC, you've to wait for all previous issues to load and depending on internet speed/monthly allowance, this can be bad. Although I think on smartphones, if I remember you can still read issue separately from a collection, so it might make it easier to organize.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Nothing beats having a physical copy

Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Eric8a92

Paper is the current option for me. I have done the whole digital thing and it's great. Picture's look clean, you can zoom in, all that good stuff. But I have too much of a love for paper to go digital. In the near future, I may have to go digital though. My room's pretty small, and I can't really fit in anymore long or short boxes. When my current short box gets full, I may have to go digital until I get my own place where I can have more room for paper printed books.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Paper all the way. I only use digital so I can skim through the free previews and when there's a certain book thats on sale that I've been hesitant to buy.

I like Marvels idea of giving you a redemption code inside your comic books. It's a win for everybody that way!

Avatar image for khan_noonien_singh
Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a pretty nice house and to be completely honest, comics just are an eyesore. The storage space needed alone is enough to drive me away from them but having to look at a room with long boxes in it just makes me cringe.

I am fine with trades on my bookshelf though and nothing beats the convenience of comics on a tablet. I don't understand this obsession with paper. When I was a kid, there was no options but I can guarantee that if there was, kids of my time wouldn't have wasted two seconds on paper.

I'm not thinking of anyone here when I say this but the obsession with paper seems a lot like those retro-chic obsessed hipsters, who order their cappuccino with no foam and that wear scarves when it's hot out.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both.

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Paper

korghano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with "both". These days I pick up the comics and TPB's I really like physically, for everything else, there's digital. My only gripe is that Tablet sizes aren't quite right yet. 7inches is too small, and 10 inches is just a bit too large to carry around comfortably.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use both but I can see in the near future relying more on digital. Convenient and practical.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Paper spite stomp, I only read digital stuff for free......

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Alak

I do both. I like paper because I feel like I can get into it more easily. I'm able to read more fluidly without having to zoom in or scroll. However, digital is awesome because I can take it anywhere with me and the detail is much sharper than paper. Definitely saves space if your collection gets big. Both have their pros and cons.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borh, paper for current runs, digital for old back issues, example I started reading last summer, so digitally i read Y the last man, preacher and other older series.

I read via comixology.com i like doing full screen and i like how it shows only one panel at a time and zooms in on some stuff, is this how the iPad comic apps work? I use my macbook air, is there an app i can download for it?

socmalig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: you mean to say that if I get comics through comixology, I should buy monthy issues rather that waiting for collected editions? :)

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer paperback TPB's above all as it's whole stories and it's easier to import to the Netherlands but I don't have enough money to support my needs of comics so I illegally download comics for free.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#65 BumpyBoo  Moderator

I prefer paper, but have a lot more digital. We just don't have the room in our house :/

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digital for me, no more room for paper every month. I still buy physical graphic novels though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the feel of paper.

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korghano said:

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with "both". These days I pick up the comics and TPB's I really like physically, for everything else, there's digital. My only gripe is that Tablet sizes aren't quite right yet. 7inches is too small, and 10 inches is just a bit too large to carry around comfortably.

Bit of a size-queen, aint ya? :p

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Digital hands down....

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

Paper

desmond006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By desmond006

I use both now but I'm going to switch completely to digital.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@powerherc: they are cheaper than paper after a month

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My old comics are all paper. New 52 and Marvel NOW have all been digital and frankly I prefer it that way. Who wants to scope out a freaking comic book store these days?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digital, I just don't have the space for the physical thing.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digital for me. I have some print for things I really like or a whole run but I go digital for just about everything else. I can find collections for cheap. Just bought days of future past for $4 and some DC classics for $5 a piece. I don't think that modern comics will go up in value since so many people are reading their books and instantly bagging/boarding them keeping the supply of near mint books high. I also don't want the bulk of the books in my house. I travel for work so I have several thousand stories at my finger tips at all times. My HTC One is a great size for the panel view and the screen is so crisp that I can read a full page with ease. I acknowledge the fact that I am merely purchasing the right to view the books but I think water/fire/mold damages are as big a risky as Comixology going out of business. Digital is just the right choice for me.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

I much prefer paper.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MakkyD

@socmalig: Well tbh, I only buy collections if they're in a sale as I find them inconvenient.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#78  Edited By LyraFay

I would go digital like I have gone with my music but when it come to books or comics I feel like I want to see the actual book and have it in my hands.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some paper I have purely for the novelty tbh. Most stories I actually am into and read are digital.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely paper, just having the real thing, seeing the colours and art on real paper beats digital for me in comics.

korghano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korghano said:

Bit of a size-queen, aint ya? :p

In the middle of typing that sentence, I realized how it sounded but I figured "you know what, who cares if everyone knows I'm insecure about my tablet size".

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#83  Edited By PowerHerc
nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm one of the few people left in the world who has yet to purchase a tablet or smart phone. Digital comics are really the only thing I'd want one for, my laptop/standard phone does everything else I need, but I've yet to take the plunge.

So paper for me, although I'd really appreciate the ability to save some space around here. blegh.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By JulieDC

I like digital for the accessibility, availability, convenience, and portability. I also like that when reading digital I get a bit more privacy in what I read as it's less obvious unless you are right on top of me.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love paper comics but the digital ones are so much more convenient. Yes, even if the price is the same (at first, it drops after one month, except for marvel and dc but they are not included in this discussion ;) ).

The amount of comics I read? I would be never able to store all of them. I have a low paying job and a small house. I can check out the art and dialogue of every issue (which I can't do with paper, since I don't live whithin reach of a comic book shop) and wherever I go I have my whole collection with me.

It's so much better for every non-USA citizen, since well stocked comic book shops are pretty rare out here :) . I say that jokingly, but none of the local comic book shops hold even a tenth of that variety of titles.

The fact of always having hundreds of books ready on a 100 $ tablet (I don't know why people say you have to buy an ipad) is very handy. I know a lot of people always argue that you don't "own" the comic book and if the site goes down you lose them. But that's very unlikely and still hasn't happened. If I lose my tablet, if my house floods, if somebody robs me, if a kid goes into my library and does some damage... I always have a pristine view of every book.

Instead there are thounsands of stories of people losing this or that issue, getting robbed or losing the entire collection because of flooding or ageing.

Of course I'm not saying that digital comics are better, I'm just saying that they have a lot of peculiar advantages (which are the things you pay for when you pay a price only slightly less than a hard copy).

I actually buy a nice hard copy of stuff I really like (TPBs of really good runs, graphic novels that stuck with me) but my comic book life has gotten considerably better since I switched the bulk of my every-week collection to digital.

The point it, I think, you don't have to choose one or the other.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@powerherc: they are cheaper than paper after a month

Thanks for the tip. :)

Only exceptions are, of course, the big two. DC gets cheaper after two months and Marvel after... a lot. I don't know, something between 6 months and one year. That's also one of the other reasons why I stopped reading them.

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paper for ever, I can only read books and comics if they're paper.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By BappyRonChantin

Printed comics always felt more alive than digital comics to me, so paper all the way.

Edit: Besides, comics are a printed medium first. They are being adapted to fit in printed form since their inception. Comics could have looked better in digital form, but they have to adapt and utilize the potential of digital media. Something like what Marvel is doing with their infinite comics, but it will need time to fully mature and complement onscreen view.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I don't mind digital, but i'm all about holding the book for real.

tilemaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started collecting comics about a year ago. I recently realized that: It's 2014 (2015 now) I can read comics digitally. But, I also want to contribute to the small businesses that sell comics. So I've decided that I will continue to pick up new, single issues from the store but as for graphic novels that finished printing in single issue long ago, I will buy those digitally. I'm seriously considering a subscription to marvel ultimate so I can read thousands of "old" issues at my will. And since I've already got a few physical copies of different graphic novels and they're on my shelf, I will use card board backs that I use for protecting my single issues as placeholders on my shelf so I have some physical representation showing that I own that graphic novel. I know no one will care to read this all the way through but I suffer from major OCD when It comes to stupid things like this and getting it out there for someone to read/hear really helps me. Thanks. :)

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ariesxmasters

Digital is 100% for me.

At this point physical Comics feel archaic and it seems like digital comics are the future.

socmalig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By socmalig

In our country, printed comics is 10% more expensive. Do you think it's still a good idea that I would still buy print comics, or should I buy them in digital format? I am attracted to price reduction of digital after sometime. Like batman vol 1 tpb. I think it's only $12.99 in comixology. And do you think digital comics is here to stay? I'm holding back because comixology might shut down or something better will rise. Please help me.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

110% Physical. I buy everything physically

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I like both. But 90% of the comics I own are Paper.

RishardJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trying to get this post going again! I'm new to comics and I'm curious as to what everyone does nowadays. I personally love to have the physical copy in my hand.

casper4690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paper for life.

JuzaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers