• 63 results
Avatar image for kryptonianking88
KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Did Thanos crack Uru in this scene? (40 votes)

Yes, their struggle was breaking the blade 20%
No, Wanda's magic was breaking it independent of Thanos 63%
lol the blade didn't even crack to begin with 13%
other 5%

Around 30, Wanda blocks a sword strike with TK and the two briefly struggle to overpower each other, and the blade begins to crack. Was it breaking from just the sheer strength of the two (Wanda's TK strength vs Thanos's physicals) or was it Wanda's hax?

• 
FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like it was all Wanda.

Avatar image for deactivated-6155f5fcc6972
deactivated-6155f5fcc6972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps it shattered from force applied to the blade at the same time by two of them during their tug of war. So, it wouls be a joint feat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then again, the cracks did seem to glow red, so IDK.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was the sword made from Uru? So Thanos had been at the Dwarf at that time in Endgame?

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starsprime3: it would only be a joint feat I think if they were both applying force from the same direction. They’re stalemated here in opposite direction and, if Wanda’s not haxing the sword, both applying enough force to crack it

SquadDoubleYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon said:

Was the sword made from Uru? So Thanos had been at the Dwarf at that time in Endgame?

yep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonianking88: The force they apply have to go somewhere, and the sword is in the middle. They're both pushing against the sword.

I'm no physicist though, so maybe I'm wrong.

DammeFavour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We don't know what the sword was made of.....IIRC eitri only made one weapon for thanos and that was the gauntlet and since this thanos hasn't met eitri, not uru. It could probably be vibranium since we don't know where in space it came from

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starsprime3: say you were to press a glass rod against a wall until it broke. The wall would provide resistance enough so that the glass has to take the force of your hand causing it to break. I think this is a similar situation. Wanda’s strong enough to resist and the blade is forced to take Thanos’s strength

@DammeFavour: the Russos implied Eitri created it

Skrskr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DammeFavour: it’s possible that endgame thanos had already been to see eitri, he had the glove before age of Ultron.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonianking88: I see what you mean but I think when the blade begin to crack, Wanda was starting to apply force, she seems to start pushing instead of defending.

DammeFavour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DammeFavour

@skrskr: honestly i think the timeline was just wack, he still didn't do it himself

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starsprime3: it starts cracking after Thanos uses his other arm to push the blade down. It actually disappears when she gains the upper hand which is what makes it confusing

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 killbilly  Moderator

@kryptonianking88: The force they apply have to go somewhere, and the sword is in the middle. They're both pushing against the sword.

I'm no physicist though, so maybe I'm wrong.

To be fair, the Force Thanos is applying should only really be effecting the side he's pushing on and we didn't see cracks forming from his side. Only glowing red ones forming on the side Wanda was pushing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killbilly: Isn't that the pressure point though? The part cracking is the point at which two forces clash.

It wouldn't make sense if the blade started cracking on Thanos's side, nobody is applying pressure on that side.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By killbilly  Moderator

@starsprime3 said:

@killbilly: Isn't that the pressure point though? The part cracking is the point at which two forces clash.

It wouldn't make sense if the blade started cracking on Thanos's side, nobody is applying pressure on that side.

I don't believe so. I believe the majority of the pressure from Thanos would be being applied at the point that he's pushing down on once it meets some sort of resistance ( Wanda's TK ) and that majority of the pressure from Wanda's TK would be applied to the side that she's preventing from coming down on her ( though the energy from her TK might be more spread out as opposed to having an initial point of contact ).

Granted, I'm no physicist either so don't take my word for it. The idea that the greatest amount of force would be applied to the contact point just seems like the most reasonable conclusion from what I can tell.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killbilly: I mean I think the greatest amount of force is applied to the contact point too. That's where it looks like the blade was cracking to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killbilly: Also, if Wanda was somehow the only one cracking the blade,I think Thanos still scales to Wanda right when she starts cracking it since she was struggling to get up right at the same time. Her power was evidently used mostly to defend herself from Thanos considering she was on her knees. Yet, her remaining unused and lesser power was enough to crack Uru.

(I deleted some of my posts in this thread, so I'm re-posting this point).

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By killbilly  Moderator

@starsprime3 said:

@killbilly: Yeah but aren't those two points the same? Thanos is applying pressure towards the end of the sword facing Scarlet Witch and Scarlet Witch is pushing directly against the sword, so she's applying pressure towards the end of the sword Thanos is applying the force against.

Well he's applying pressure ( his strength ) from one side while Wanda is applying pressure ( her TK ) from the other.

Only the pressure Wanda's applying seems to actually be physically affecting the blade:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
@starsprime3 said:

@killbilly: Either way, if Wanda is indeed the one cracking Uru, Thanos still scales to Wanda right at the point she starts cracking it, I think.

Probably. The fact that he's pushing it down against her TK seems to indicate that anyways.

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We don't know what the sword was made of.....IIRC eitri only made one weapon for thanos and that was the gauntlet and since this thanos hasn't met eitri, not uru. It could probably be vibranium since we don't know where in space it came from

it was shown to be>vibranium and what nonsense is this? thanos met eitri

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DammeFavour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: endgame thanos is from 2014

so? he obviously knew where to find eitri and he got the gauntlet in aou post credit. thano not knowing eitri is jut bull

DammeFavour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: do we actually know when he attacked the dwarves or that this is the same gauntlet? It's a possibility, its not 100 percent

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: do we actually know when he attacked the dwarves or that this is the same gauntlet? It's a possibility, its not 100 percent

it was implied by russos. They aid he could've gotten it from eitri and it is>vibranium and the only metal>vibranium=uru

DammeFavour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: so could have, isn't that the point? The only metal that we know of, it might be one stronger than uru or comparable

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: so could have, isn't that the point? The only metal that we know of, it might be one stronger than uru or comparable

there is no known metal>vibranium so its fair to assume its uru

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Joe Russo said this a year ago:

"Clearly Thanos is a thousand-year-old character who has fought everyone in the universe and is the greatest: He's the Genghis Khan of the universe, so he would have the greatest weapon," Russo said. "He knows of Eitri, he's been to Eitri to have his glove created. Did he have them create his blade as well? Potentially. But it's interesting that it could destroy the shield."

Johndeyvido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Johndeyvido

Thanos didn't do anything, it was Wanda

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef9c7d93643a
deactivated-5ef9c7d93643a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was Wanda and the sword is not made of Uru.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killbilly: They're pushing from opposite sides. During this two things contact each other, Wanda's red energy and Thanos's blade. Thanos's blade stars cracking as it's caught inbetween (There is nothing to crack on Wanda's side). There is no other fashion in which that blade can start cracking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef9c7d93643a
deactivated-5ef9c7d93643a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TonyStark6999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, the cracks were glowing red. Part of the sword still glowed red after it was separated from Thanos.

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was Wanda.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By killbilly  Moderator

@starsprime3 said:

@killbilly: They're pushing from opposite sides. During this two things contact each other, Wanda's red energy and Thanos's blade. Thanos's blade stars cracking as it's caught inbetween (There is nothing to crack on Wanda's side). There is no other fashion in which that blade can start cracking.

So you're saying the red energy is separate from the TK Wanda was using to hold up the blade? Or were you trying to say that the only point force was meeting the blade was Wanda's TK?

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By Mrnoital

@darkthunder said:
@DammeFavour said:

it was shown to be>vibranium and what nonsense is this? thanos met eitri

It was shown to damage a vibranium shield, and the only thing that damaged the shield before was when Black Panther scratched it with his vibranium claws so we know vibranium can damage vibranium, and it doesn't have to be a stronger material

Sort if like how diamonds can cut diamonds

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheGrat1

Wanda 100%. I think people need to understand 1 very important thing: It is impossible to push down with more than your own body weight in a sustained fashion without leverage (flight/feet braced against something else). Thanos is just leaning on his sword there. That sword would be weak as hell if it could not take his body weight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killbilly: Wanda's red TK energy was contacting with Thanos's Uru, I mean.

Thanos was applying pressure to the part of the blade that was cracking as that was the bottom of the blade and Wanda was pushing towards that point. That point was facing towards Scarlet Witch. It wouldn't make sense for the side of the blade facing Thanos to crack first.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGrat1: I don't think that's a problem here. If it was 100% physics, then I don't think Thanos with his limited mass would be all that strong. In fiction, characters can lift millions of tons, yet their feet don't sink into the ground etc.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGrat1: I don't think that's a problem here. If it was 100% physics, then I don't think Thanos with his limited mass would be all that strong. In fiction, characters can lift millions of tons, yet their feet don't sink into the ground etc.

Thanos' mass is not really related to his strength. He could be the size of a toddler and be written to have near-infinite strength. This is about how effectively he can use that strength.

Not sinking into the ground or resting the weight of a building on the surface area of a man's palms without punching through it falls into the realm of suspension of disbelief for me. Super strength is no good if a character can not effectively use it. Pushing down does not fall in that realm for me.

This particular example, in my opinion, is characteristic of how the MCU portrays it's superpowered characters and why people tend to find them underwhelming. Leaning on someone with your body weight, especially with your weight behind a weapon, would be a very effective tactic between two human combatants. A static hold of over 100 pounds will tire out even the strongest human very quickly. For superpowered beings that can easily lift hundreds of tons it makes no sense. Thor should have been able to just bench press Thanos off of him when he was pressing Stormbreaker into him. The MCU makes their superhumans fight too much like regular humans.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGrat1:

"Thanos' mass is not really related to his strength. He could be the size of a toddler and be written to have near-infinite strength. This is about how effectively he can use that strength."

I used Thanos's mass and his strength example to explain that the scene probably didn't mean to imply that it was merely Thanos's own mass. That's why I brought that point. This might also be a suspension of disbelief case.

Also, I think he did have leverage from the ground in this scene. It wasn't just his mass.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By killbilly  Moderator

@starsprime3 said:

@killbilly: Wanda's red TK energy was contacting with Thanos's Uru, I mean.

Thanos was applying pressure to the part of the blade that was cracking as that was the bottom of the blade and Wanda was pushing towards that point. That point was facing towards Scarlet Witch. It wouldn't make sense for the side of the blade facing Thanos to crack first.

The point was moreso that it seemed like SW's TK energy was applying enough pressure to the part of the blade it was pushing against that it cracked while the part of the blade that Thanos was applying the most pressure to with his strength didn't. But again, I'm no physicist and it may be that SW's TK works differently anyways.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killbilly: If Thanos was cracking the blade, where do you think it would start cracking from?

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By killbilly  Moderator

@killbilly: If Thanos was cracking the blade, where do you think it would start cracking from?

The side he's pushing down on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killbilly: I don't think so. The most pressure from Thanos experienced by the blade would be the edge that was cracking.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By killbilly  Moderator

@starsprime3 said:

@killbilly: I don't think so. The most pressure from Thanos experienced by the blade would be the edge that was cracking.

I honestly have no idea. I'd assume the logical point that would be experiencing the most pressure is the side he's pushing down on ( specifically the point on the guard he's touching ) but again, I'm no physicist.