Deathstroke sucks outside of comics. Why?

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

So in the comics Slade is a badass street level hero, who can take down the Batman, Teen Titans and the Justice League. But for some odd reason in other media (Teen Titans, Flashpoint and YJ excused) Slade is reduced to a cut rate assassin. In Injustice he's the first character Batman beats. Then the cutscene implies it was no problem. Then in Origins DS was hyped up to be the main baddie but he is ironically the second boss fight. He gets stomped so hard he says to Batman "What are you" you know what people say when they get that ass whooped. I think Son of Batman is the worst (I watched it leaked I'm a terrible person I know lol). No spoilers but don't expect DS to be of quality here. So my question is why certain characters get nerfed to this level where they get beat by people they should easily take down? I love Batman as all of you know but even I know DS should handle him. Has anyone else noticed this?

jayc1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jayc1324

Well for one, he's never had his own show or game. He's always a guest star in whatever he is in, so he is always going to lose. Always. That has been shown many times.

Secondly, he would be too powerful if he was like his comic version. I didn't watch son of batman yet (but I'm about to since you told me it leaked) but it looks like Damian is going to fight Slade. Slade wasn't even in the story this is based off of, and Damian is no match for Slade in comics, so you know he will get nerfed here. If he was like he is in comics he would kill Damian and Batman and we wouldn't have a movie. If he was like he is in comics he would have killed Batman in Arkham origins and we wouldn't have a game. Same with him in the arrow tv show with oliver. But the assassins weren't actually important at all in Arkham origins, it was really a batman/joker story. The ads were really misleading for that game. But anyway...

I think those are the main reasons he is nerfed.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke has become a "Batman Villain" in all media outside of Comics. As such, he will always be shown as getting manhandled by Batman, because as a Batman villain, he is second rate.

How is he second rate? Well, in the Batman world, there are really only a couple of "top tier villains" and when you really get to the heart of it, only one villain really matters. Since Deathstroke isnt Bane, Two Face, the Riddler, or Catwoman, he cant even be second-fiddle to the Joker, hes third tier at best.

It annoys me to no end, because, imo, Deathstroke > Batman, and Joker is one of my least favorite Batman villains.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke has become a "Batman Villain" in all media outside of Comics. As such, he will always be shown as getting manhandled by Batman, because as a Batman villain, he is second rate.

How is he second rate? Well, in the Batman world, there are really only a couple of "top tier villains" and when you really get to the heart of it, only one villain really matters. Since Deathstroke isnt Bane, Two Face, the Riddler, or Catwoman, he cant even be second-fiddle to the Joker, hes third tier at best.

It annoys me to no end, because, imo, Deathstroke > Batman, and Joker is one of my least favorite Batman villains.

Yet in Arrow he owns everyone and is being associated as an Arrow villain. In Teen Titans he was anything but second rate.

@ultrastarkiller But Deathstroke is one of the best characters in the game. You can't take a cutscene seriously when you know the heroes are supposed to win. The story itself is flawed anyway.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: Its because Batman and his Rogues are a notch above Arrow, and the Teen Titans. If youre DC or WB, you hock Bats as much as you can.

To simplify: Anyone who can fight Batman is too much for almost any other hero(s).

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: Fair point but you have to admit the added publicity he's getting will lead to a better future for Slade. Even if he hasn't been a huge threat. Might even get his own game/ be featured in a movie.

TehStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TehStranger

Well if you had him actually be as strong as his comic book counterpart in say: "Son of Batman" he would of killed everything in his way and that would of made for a pretty depressing ending. But if you nerf him, but still make him a threat, its satisfying to see the hero overcome the villain. However, I too saw Son of Batman (I know, I'm the worst kind of criminal, but I promise I'll buy it day one) and they overdid it way too much. Slade was such a pansy in that movie that I convinced myself this was not the real Slade Wilson, but rather some guy cosplaying as him who was also moderately good at martial arts.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or maybe you're asking for too much.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind: Ya Slade not getting beat by a little kid is asking for too much...

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need a character to make the other look great.

Deathstroke its the obvious choice.

People know him, but he isnt so huge and mainstream, has an smaller fan base.

He is a jobber to the stars.

Like Matt Hardy.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

In AOrigins they really didn't imply Slade was anything superhuman like he is in the comics. He was 'experimented' on but the enhancements were never defined. He's also harder than every boss in Arkham Origins aside from Bane, regardless of being the second boss. He's still shown to be pretty bad*ss regardless, and his loss is more chalked up to underestimating Bruce rather than sucking.

In Injustice he pretty much single handedly takes down the Watchtower. Sure he has help but he does most of the work.

Arrow isn't an ongoing comic, and Slade isn't a merc. He was out to kill Ollie, no less, so obviously Ollie is going to win somehow.

Unfortunately I think part of the problem is Deathstroke is in DC limbo. He started as a Teen Titan villain, but he's become (in my opinion) more popular than the Titans themselves and outgrew that team. The problem is, what to do with him? He's a mercenary, with no underlying heart of gold (unlike his Marvel spoof Deadpool, who works as a hero despite being a merc because of this) so you can't really promote him as the good guy. However if he's going to be that netural-to-bad guy, he needs a protagonist. He's seemed to move up from the Titans to Batman, but Deathstroke doesn't match the popularity of other Bat villains so he's still in that limbo. However they don't seem overly committed to making him a Bat-rogue, so he's never posed as a serious threat, or one that lingers on Bruce.

Honestly, I just think DC/WB don't know what to do with Slade.

Avatar image for ninjawarrior268
NinjaWarrior268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

Deathstroke got put in a Batman game because DC thinks Batman fans would like Deathstroke. DC doesn't want to upset their audience by letting Batman lose to Deathstroke, not when most casual fans see DS as a rip off of Batman. Most people see Deathstroke as someone who causes a lot of trouble despite not having any powers

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I thought he was even cooler in the Teen Titans show :/

Avatar image for thelegionproject
TheLegionProject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He doesn't suck in the comics?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

He was pretty scary/badass in the Teen Titans cartoon

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RisingBean

While he gets a bit nerfed in outside media, Deathstroke has been wanked pretty hard in comics.

Some writers think he has a chance against Flash or GL? Riiiiiight.

kendell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jayc1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jayc1324

Because if he was as good as he is in the comics Arkham batman would be dead and Green Arrow on "Arrow" would be dead too. When you're on someone else's show or in their game you are gonna lose.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Batman seriously needs to be put over.

I figured that was obvious...

Deathstroke got put in a Batman game because DC thinks Batman fans would like Deathstroke. DC doesn't want to upset their audience by letting Batman lose to Deathstroke, not when most casual fans see DS as a rip off of Batman. Most people see Deathstroke as someone who causes a lot of trouble despite not having any powers

How would anyone, even a casual fan, get the impression that Deathstroke is anything like Batman?

Deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jayc1324 said:

Well for one, he's never had his own show or game. He's always a guest star in whatever he is in, so he is always going to lose. Always. That has been shown many times.

Secondly, he would be too powerful if he was like his comic version. I didn't watch son of batman yet (but I'm about to since you told me it leaked) but it looks like Damian is going to fight Slade. Slade wasn't even in the story this is based off of, and Damian is no match for Slade in comics, so you know he will get nerfed here. If he was like he is in comics he would kill Damian and Batman and we wouldn't have a movie. If he was like he is in comics he would have killed Batman in Arkham origins and we wouldn't have a game. Same with him in the arrow tv show with oliver. But the assassins weren't actually important at all in Arkham origins, it was really a batman/joker story. The ads were really misleading for that game. But anyway...

I think those are the main reasons he is nerfed.

This

He was pretty scary/badass in the Teen Titans cartoon

This

Part of this

antimutant001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Masked_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teen Titans version of Deathstroke is the only reason I like him now.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

9 months?!?! Damn, I forgot all about this thread. Lol

area52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By area52

So in the comics Slade is a badass street level hero, who can take down the Batman, Teen Titans and the Justice League. But for some odd reason in other media (Teen Titans, Flashpoint and YJ excused) Slade is reduced to a cut rate assassin. In Injustice he's the first character Batman beats. Then the cutscene implies it was no problem. Then in Origins DS was hyped up to be the main baddie but he is ironically the second boss fight. He gets stomped so hard he says to Batman "What are you" you know what people say when they get that ass whooped. I think Son of Batman is the worst (I watched it leaked I'm a terrible person I know lol). No spoilers but don't expect DS to be of quality here. So my question is why certain characters get nerfed to this level where they get beat by people they should easily take down? I love Batman as all of you know but even I know DS should handle him. Has anyone else noticed this?

I disagree. Batman can beat hundreds of soldiers simultaneously and Deathstroke is just a 9 in 1 Soldier combo. So what if Deathstroke is 9 times stronger than a human Batman has fought Predator hand to hand. The predator he fought in the second crossover was able to tear steel. It takes 40,000 pounds of PSI to do that. Considering that Deathstroke was already a physically strong man before he got injected with truth serum he should be something like 141 pounds of grip strength times that by nine and you get 1,269 which is 32 times weaker than predator.

All Batman would have to do is get in his augmented suit and punch Deathstroke once. Nine times the strength of a normal man is pretty much meaningless. Batman could just his robot to beat Deathstroke up or make him cut out his other eye using mind control (Batman 138). Or use time travel Hypnosis like in world's finest comics 42 to send Deathstroke 200 years back in time.

Batman's robot is controlled by brainwaves/telepathic technology. This robot can control the person it is set to when certain adjustments are made.
Batman's robot is controlled by brainwaves/telepathic technology. This robot can control the person it is set to when certain adjustments are made.
Batman can pull up with the Batmobile and find what frequency Deathstrokes brainwaves emit at.
Batman can pull up with the Batmobile and find what frequency Deathstrokes brainwaves emit at.

That's how he can make Deathstroke cut out his own eye. Deathstroke is a match for Batman. He isn't overwhelmingly stronger. Some stupider and weaker versions of Batman would lose to him. Some people who love old men with one eye will write Batman as weak enough to be crushed by DS. But in the end, Batman's tech would win him the battle.

Avatar image for arranvidreturns
ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to remember that his original name was Deathstroke The Terminator

and that James Cameron's Terminator came AFTER Deathstroke

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

You said it yourself. He is a character that can take out the JL, Batman etc (whether it is because of PIS or not, that is an entirely different matter), so of course he needs to be toned down when he is used in other media.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Ugh all of this crap is why he needs to stay a Titans villain, wtf is the point of Slade Wilson otherwise?

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He just gets nerfed severely and forced to job.

Dmnb2wavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol wtf. I know this is old but deathstroke isn’t taking down the jl or even the teen titans without pis honestly