#1 Posted by SaintWildcard (21840 posts) - - Show Bio

To add insult to injury, WB is creating an other app and it'll most likely go to the WB app (just what we need! An other streaming service). Speculation is that because CW is co owned with CBS, it can't go on the DC APP. I thought that they we we're waiting for the Netflix contract to be up, but if this is true then what the hell is the point to a DC app is your 5 freaking shows that kept DC afloat while their DC movie franchise stumbled and flopped (this was before Aquaman) won't be on there? As it stands, the DC app is lacking on material. The shows so far are fine, and the fans are loving it, but any logical person would have been the farm on the shows being on there. Most people probably don't care since the CW shows have waned in popularity, but I still think it's messed up.

What are your thoughts on the NEW streaming service and the DC shows not being on the DC app?

#2 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh well.

#3 Posted by mrmonster (15537 posts) - - Show Bio

I think DC Universe may have been a mistake to begin with. I think that from day 1 they should've just made a Warner Bros streaming service. Warner Bros has a ton of valuable content, they should never have limited it to just DC.

#4 Posted by mrmonster (15537 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as the CW-DC shows themselves, personally I don't really care. I usually just watch them on TV, and when I miss them, I can usually get them on CW Seed. Is CW Seed objectively a terrible way to watch anything? Yes. But it's free, so by default it's good enough.

#5 Posted by SaintWildcard (21840 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as the CW-DC shows themselves, personally I don't really care. I usually just watch them on TV, and when I miss them, I can usually get them on CW Seed. Is CW Seed objectively a terrible way to watch anything? Yes. But it's free, so by default it's good enough.

this isn't taking into the binge mentality. Ads are one thing, but they only have 5 episodes at a time of a show. (I could be wrong on that though)

#6 Edited by mrmonster (15537 posts) - - Show Bio

@saintwildcard: I can't tell you, I only watch the shows on CW Seed when I miss them on TV. It's not even the ads that make CW Seed suck so much, it's just that it there's so much buffering. But anyway, if you're the kind of person who does binge I can see why you definitely wouldn't like CW Seed.

#7 Posted by Mutant1230 (6615 posts) - - Show Bio

I think DC Universe may have been a mistake to begin with. I think that from day 1 they should've just made a Warner Bros streaming service. Warner Bros has a ton of valuable content, they should never have limited it to just DC.

Couldn't agree more. Now Warner is in a tough position that they either A) Have to keep both streaming services going simultaneously and not be able to use popular IPs like the Teen Titans, Swamp-Thing and Harley Quinn to promote their WarnerMedia streaming service or B) Have to soon close down DC Universe and add all of its content to WarnerMedia, having wasted time, money and resources on a streaming service that only lasts for two-three years.

It's a mess.

#8 Edited by Veshark (10499 posts) - - Show Bio

That's definitely a big L for the DC app. As much as the quality varies for the CW shows, their fanbase is a big reason for the ongoing mainstream popularity of certain characters, and that would've been a sizeable market to tap into. The CW shows have always done well, and as much as I enjoy Titans and love Young Justice, I'm not convinced (yet) that the DC app can last without them.

Right now though, DC just needs to get their next biggest thing onto the streaming service: the DCEU movies. This needs to be a no-brainer; do the Netflix thing where it comes on streaming after the theatrical and home video releases. All the DCEU films need to be on there. And the TDK trilogy while we're at it. TDK was on the app during launch and now it's on Netflix, so I don't know what's going on there. They also need to complete the animated movie library. Most of the movies are on there, but I think they were missing some like Superman/Batman Apocalypse earlier during launch.

#9 Posted by mrmonster (15537 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster said:

Couldn't agree more. Now Warner is in a tough position that they either A) Have to keep both streaming services going simultaneously and not be able to use popular IPs like the Teen Titans, Swamp-Thing and Harley Quinn to promote their WarnerMedia streaming service or B) Have to soon close down DC Universe and add all of its content to WarnerMedia, having wasted time, money and resources on a streaming service that only lasts for two-three years.

It's a mess.

I think option B) is the smarter decision. In the short run, it would definitely be costly, but in the long run, it's the only thing that makes sense. Like you said, this is a mess, and it will be no matter what they ultimately decide to do.

#10 Posted by TDK_1997 (18734 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, WB really are creating a mess with these live-action versions of the DC Universe. As much as I may not be the biggest fan of the CW verse, I do agree with you on their essential nature. THey may not be perfect and there might be tons of problems with them, but they did kickstart the whole love for certain DC characters and for the rise in their popularity. People might bash on the shows right now because of their quality, but a few years ago they were excited and were enjoying a large part of them. They need to be on the app because they are the originals, the one that set the ground for the current TV universe DC are trying to create.

On another note, as it was already mentioned, the DCEU movies should definitely go there as well. Bad quality or not, they are part of the same universe and the fans who get into certain characters would like to refresh their memory or watch the movie for the first time. It is essential for DC to have them on the app.