DC comics sales continues to Spiral as Rebirth money gimmick comes to an end: Marvel Dominates November 2016

• 154 results
CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

The result of November's action was a return for Marvel to the top of the unit and dollar market shares charts, after several months during which DC's Rebirth titles gave it the lead. The returnable phase of releases is coming to an end for most of those books, yet DC remained a second at 26%. After the returnable phase of Rebirth Marvel pulled ahead in October by 5%. That has now rapidly increased to 12% by November.

Dollar shareUnit share
Marvel38.08%39.46%
DC26.17%31.30%
Image8.99%9.06%
IDW5.23%4.59%
Dark Horse3.65%2.85%
Boom1.98%1.66%
Titan1.61%1.30%
Viz1.52%0.56%
Dynamite1.40%1.23%
Archie1.01%1.06%
Other10.38%6.92%

Marvel's win is actually greater than appears. Diamond counts what retailers ordered not what they sold. So it's no way to tell how much of the initial orders got returned later.

Finally, the Top 10s. Two regular Batman issues led the comics charts:

No Caption Provided
Comic BookPricePublisher
1Batman #10$2.99DC
2Batman #11$2.99DC
3Civil War II #7$4.99Marvel
4All Star Batman #4$4.99DC
5Invincible Iron Man #1$3.99Marvel
6Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #1$4.99Marvel
7Batman Annual #1$4.99DC
8Venom #1$3.99Marvel
9Walking Dead #160$2.99Image
10IVX #0$4.99Marvel

And on the graphic novel charts, we see that while Image didn't offer many new titles, it took the top slot with Paper Dolls Vol. 2:

Graphic NovelPricePublisher
1Paper Girls Vol. 2$12.99Image
2Marvel: The Hip-Hop Covers Vol. 1 HC$34.99Marvel
3DC Super Hero Girls Vol. 2: Hits And Myths$9.99DC
4Star Wars: Darth Vader Vol. 4: End of Games$19.99Marvel
5Unbelievable Gwenpool Vol. 1: Believe It$16.99Marvel
6Sandman Overture$19.99DC
7DC Universe: Rebirth Deluxe Edition HC$17.99DC
8Vision Vol. 2: Little Better Than Beast$17.99Marvel
9Moon Knight Volume 1: Lunatic$15.99Marvel
10Deadpool V. Gambit: V Is For Vs$16.99Marvel

As of now(November 2016) for the year of 2016 Marvel is at 410% dollar share. DC is at 320%. Which means even if DC hits there highest monthly percent of Rebirth over Marvel which is 9% for the last month of 2016 there still gonna lose for the year by about 100% dollar share. Marvel wins for 16 years in a row. And DC just lost November. Basically it's impossible for DC to win 2016 at this point. And the true win is actually worse than that because the returnable Rebirth titles makes DC's numbers look over inflated.

Marvel will win 2016 by about 100% dollar share.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

I find it funny how a marvel fan can insult a raise in sells based on a "gimmick"

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EmperorxHadesx420

So, how much money did Marvel give you for writing this thread?? I'm extremely curious as what do you get out of writing this??

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ill still read DC's books TBH. They don't have horrible crossovers every year and hire people like Bendis, Alonso, Quesada and Dan Slott.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlueHope

1 and 2 most sold comics belong to Batman

4 of the top ten comics were from batman

Batman always wins.

No Caption Provided

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BlueHope

@nerevarine_11 said:

Ill still read DC's books TBH. They don't have horrible crossovers every year and hire people like Bendis, Alonso, Quesada and Dan Slott.

Yeah sales don't reflect quality, Suicide Squad did better than Guardians of the Galaxy by sales but we all know what movie is better.

Same for Marvel and DC comics right now.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluehope: GotG beat SS. just sayin..

GotG: 773mil

SS: 745mil

I think Marvel is better. They tell better stories than DC. The sales reflect that.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Marvel is better. They tell better stories than DC. The sales reflect that.

GotG: Bugdet 232 / Box office: 773 = 541 mil

SS: budget 175 / box office: 745 = 570 mil

SS was more successful.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Asgaard  Online

Don't see what marvel has to celebrate...

NOVEMBER 2016 VS. NOVEMBER 2015
Comics-12.71%

I will assume this data is saying that since Marvel didn't relaunch every title like last year, that was the main consequence in this percentage drop (Dc is certainly selling more when compared with one year ago), and as we see in this month top 10 sales, marvel best selling titles are new #1's no title has staying power, where is Champions #2? Didn't issue #1 sold like 328,165 units? And how come Avengers issue #1 is not in this month Top 10? Not sure if anyone can still spin this results as positive, its the Avengers!?!

Following this drop pattern (even if Marvel can relaunch more occasionally new titles like Iron Fist) Dc can actually win a lot of months in 2017, probably like they never did before in the current era...

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Asgaard  Online

@bluehope said:
@captainsalt said:

GotG: Bugdet 232 / Box office: 773 = 541 mil

SS: budget 175 / box office: 745 = 570 mil

SS was more successful.

Please read this Deadline article and don't post stuff like that again...

No. 5 ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ – 2014 Most Valuable Blockbuster Movie Tournament

Next Year we will have one for Suicide Squad, and some articles already claimed the contrary of your production (combined with the marketing) cost numbers.....

"The movie's got to do $750 million, $800 million to break even".

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluehope: bruh, GotG's budget was 170mil. Where are you getting your facts?

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluehope: bruh, GotG's budget was 170mil. Where are you getting your facts?

Wikipedia that used Forbes as a source.What source you got your info?

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By poeticwarrior

Great news, I love All New All Different Marvel so far, hopefully, it will continue to do well.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fan boyism is a cancer and I know that I am guilty of that too, King's Batman doesn't deserve that many sales since it's one of the most meh books of Rebirth.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what OP thinks about Civil War 2.

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Quality in relation to entertainment for the sole purpose of enjoyment is purely subjective. The only thing that matters is sales. I think they best book out right now is Superman with some other rebirth titles and a handful of marvel ones atm, but that doesn't matter. Sales = Everything. Your name is fitting OP.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solid_snake97: Dude the people who make these are post 2015 readers they probably think Original Sin was marvels 2nd best crossover

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: lol in IGN someone said CW2 was great and that they're team carol. After i asked them how long they've been reading comics they said less than a year....

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solid_snake97: oh yeah don't read clone conspiracy 3. Like wow I'm glad I pirate marvels worst books just to laugh at them

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: that reveal....ugh man I don't know what to believe anymore, worse is that Slott's personal d*ck suckers still defend that reveal.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solid_snake97: I shit you not watch next issue Uncle Ben comes back. They've already brought Gwen, Ben Reilly, that corny villain Jackal. Who's next?

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solid_snake97: I never thought that at 23 I'd have dropped Marvel 3x in the last decade. These guys suck. Like, I think it'll be well until 2018 until they even consider a retcon to ANAD

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CaptainSalt

@nerevarine_11: @solid_snake97:

I haven't got around to Clone Conspiracy yet but CW2 has been OK.

My favorite reads right now:

Unworthy Thor

Scarlet Witch

Moon Knight

Black Panther

Jessica Jones new series

Nova #1 Richard Rider

Black Widow

Daredevil

Karnak is my SH*T!!

Captain America: Steve Rogers

Captain Marvel

To name a few. Every now and than I'll pirate a DC comic or two but they don't do it for me. They will never get ahead of Marvel till they do a complete universe over haul. even before Marvel's new fame they've always beat DC.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainsalt: Are you DemFeet and DevilFruit? There's a reason why your other accounts were banned but I can immediately tell.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets see what is on the top 10.........

• Four Batman books
  • Four Number Ones books (not including the zero issue)
  • Two Event books

You know all the stuff people hate about Marvel and DC, but out sells everything else. That is why DC puts Batman in everything, and Marvel renumbers books so often, and has back to back events.....

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I've dropped DC because of Rebirth, so part of me wants to smirk at this..... but I'm gonna try and not be so petty

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's gotta be something better to do with your life tho.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No surprises there.

Marvel treat all their characters equally. DC don't. That's the main difference. Pretty much since the 80's, DC/WB have proven again and again the only one of their characters they care about is Batman. That basically makes them a one-tick pony. The funny (and tragic) thing is, DC/WB are probably aware that they're presenting themselves as a one-trick pony ... but they don't seem to care. How sad.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidgrantlloyd:

Marvel treat all their characters equally.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Pretty much since the 80's, DC/WB have proven again and again the only one of their characters they care about is Batman.

This is so ignorant and misinformed I think it takes the cake as one of the most horrendous things I've seen on the internet this month.

That basically makes them a one-tick pony. The funny (and tragic) thing is, DC/WB are probably aware that they're presenting themselves as a one-trick pony ... but they don't seem to care. How sad.

Its clear you are not affiliated or just being outright contemptuous in regards to how successful DC as a comic line has evolved and succeeded. You're letting fanboyism turn you into a despicable peon, and at this point its past the point of hilarity.

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No surprises there.

Marvel treat all their characters equally. DC don't. That's the main difference. Pretty much since the 80's, DC/WB have proven again and again the only one of their characters they care about is Batman. That basically makes them a one-tick pony. The funny (and tragic) thing is, DC/WB are probably aware that they're presenting themselves as a one-trick pony ... but they don't seem to care. How sad.

Mate, are you broken?

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: there's actually some truth to his comment. DC is a one trick pony. With the trick being Batman.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By Aros001

I've dropped DC because of Rebirth, so part of me wants to smirk at this..... but I'm gonna try and not be so petty

Really? What about it didn't you like? Or was a series that you did like cancelled because of Rebirth? Because that I can certainly understand.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@aros001 said:
@saintwildcard said:

Really? What about it didn't you like? Or was a series that you did like cancelled because of Rebirth? Because that I can certainly understand.

Well. I was planning on making the jump from monthly to trade waiting when Rebirth hit. What made me just loose interest is that they killed of New 52 Superman and have been ham fisting the old man Supes and his family in my face. Also the stuff going on witth Wonder WOman, retconning everything from Azz's run which I really liked. So as of now, there isn't really any Rebirth trades that I'm planning on getting.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

There just needs to be healthy competition, DC will recover from this month till Feb. They've got JL vs SS, Master Race, Super Sons, Batwoman, Wildstorm, JLA and the JLA one shots. As long as the market is not completely dominated by one it's good. DC right now is in a position to actually fight back, they lost momentum altogether after the first 4 months of the New-52.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Yeah JL vs Suicide Squad next month and JLA after that should put DC back into competition next month. The market is unfortunately led by events and new number 1 issues nowadays.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah that's why Twilight and Bayformers did so well. They just "tell better stories" than other films do.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This guy is more obsessed with DC than Marvel lol

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least I know people are enjoying Marvel's comics and hating DC's as much as I am.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluehope said:

1 and 2 most sold comics belong to Batman

4 of the top ten comics were from batman

Batman always wins.

No Caption Provided

Batman has appeared in 7 of the 11 top comics in this year so far and four of those were solo Batbooks lol

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RustyRoy

@captainsalt said:

SS did it without China though.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@helloman: definitely. If not for the gimmick, returnable part of Rebirth it wouldn't have hardly made a dent sales wise.

So overrated.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

Don't see what marvel has to celebrate...

NOVEMBER 2016 VS. NOVEMBER 2015
Comics-12.71%

I will assume this data is saying that since Marvel didn't relaunch every title like last year, that was the main consequence in this percentage drop (Dc is certainly selling more when compared with one year ago), and as we see in this month top 10 sales, marvel best selling titles are new #1's no title has staying power, where is Champions #2? Didn't issue #1 sold like 328,165 units? And how come Avengers issue #1 is not in this month Top 10? Not sure if anyone can still spin this results as positive, its the Avengers!?!

Following this drop pattern (even if Marvel can relaunch more occasionally new titles like Iron Fist) Dc can actually win a lot of months in 2017, probably like they never did before in the current era...