No Caption Provided

I'll be splitting this thread into the following categories:

• Training
  • Physical Prowess
  • Pain Tolerance
  • Lightsaber and Martial Art Skill
  • Force Powers
  • Stealth and Espionage

This thread is only going to feature feats that are before and during The Phantom Menace. I have done another for him:

Darth Maul Respect Thread - The Clone Wars

Now.. without further ado.

Training

Darth Maul was taken as a child by Darth Sidious himself, to be moulded into the perfect assassin. His training would of killed most other beings, and his discipline and dedication to the dark side and his master is unwavering.

There is no pain where strength lies.

To Darth Maul, it seemed that his master had always been there, a part of his life — implacable, indomitable, inexorable. Since before Maul learned to walk, discipline had been his guiding beacon. Darth Sidious had moulded him from a weak, puling child into the ultimate warrior, sculpting his body and his mind as a seamless weapon. Maul was willing to die for him, without question and without hesitation. Lord Sidious’s goals were the goals of the Sith, and they would be achieved, no matter what the cost.

Maul’s entire existence had consisted of training, of exercise and instruction. Early in his life, before his voice had deepened, Maul had learned the intricate movements and forms of the teräs käsi fighting style, the patterns of movements based on the hunting characteristics of various beasts throughout the galaxy: Charging Wampa, Rancor Rising, Dancing Dragon-snake, and many more. He had practiced gymnastics in environments ranging from zero-g to gravity fields twice that of Coruscant’s. He had mastered the intricate and dangerous use of the double-bladed lightsaber. And all for one purpose: to be the best possible tool of his master’s will.

But he had not learned just how to fight. His master’s teaching had encompassed far more than that. He had also learned stealth, subterfuge, intrigue. What is done in secret has great power."

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

An excerpt from Maul's journal.

I do not mind waiting. I use my time wisely. Waiting time is training time. Every minute of my life is devoted to learning glorious Sith tradition as well as hard physical training. I keep myself in a constant state of readiness. When I meet the Jedi I will be at the peak of my power. I will be the strongest fighter in the galaxy.

Every training exercise has value, even the most basic ones. For example: One of the earliest training exercises taught by my master consisted of running up a wall. I stared from one end of the training room and ran toward the wall. I took several steps up to the wall with my momentum and then flipped over to land on my feet. I did it over and over, even as my leg muscles burned with fatigue. If I missed, I could have broken my neck. Still, I continued. There is no fear in a Sith. Training drives out fear. The greatest thing I have learned about the Sith tradition is to be prepared to lose my life at any time.

Episode I Journal: Darth Maul

He went through unimaginable physical challenges to get to where he wanted to be.

Leaning forward, he placed his right hand between his knees and lifted himself up off the bench with one arm, holding there for a count of fifty before lowering himself and switching to the other arm. He repeated this exercise ten times for each arm, back and forth. Then using both arms he lifted himself straight up into the air, extending his legs, body held erect until every muscle trembled with the strain.

Maul: Lockdown

Even when Maul was three years old his exercise regime consisted of sit ups, and then alternations between one and two handed push ups.

The chime sounded again. Maul stopped running, fell back against the floor, and began doing a series of sit-ups and leg lifts. After several minutes, the chime sounded, and Maul rolled over to do his push up exercises, alternating between one- and two handed push-ups. Several more minutes passed before the chime sounded again, signalling the exercise session's end. Maul collapsed against the floor.

Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul

When Maul was between the ages of 7-10, he was one day knocked out by his training droid, Deenine. When Maul awoke, he was in the middle of nowhere on the inhospitable lava planet - Mustafar. He had been left with no provisions, no weapons.. nothing. His first instinct was to follow a group of Mustafarians, kill them, and take their food and supplies in order to survive. Maul, using these tactics, endured the harshness of Mustafar for 17 days. He only went to sleep twice. And he wasn't even 10 years old at the time.

His survival instincts are completely supernatural even at such a young age. It's also worth mentioning that he had two broken ribs and a snapped left arm prior to and during this time period.

He pushed himself up. He was on a broad slab of rock on Mustafar's surface. The loud roaring sound came from a nearby rocky vent that was spewing lava. He didn't know how long he'd been outside or even how far he was from Sidous's facility. But he knew he had not arrived at this place on his own.

He looked around. He saw no sign of TD-D9 or Sidious, or of any other kind of shelter. Although they had not taken away the clothes and bandages he was wearing, they had not left him with any provisions. But he did have something to his advantage. He had his training.

Maul was not scared. He felt free. He could live or perish on this hostile world without anyone to tell him what to do. And then he realized he was not in any way eager to die. He became resolved to survive. He would do anything and everything necessary to stay alive.

He saw a dark shape move past the lava vent. Crouching low to the ground, ignoring the pain from his ribs and left arm, he watched with wonder as a tall masked Mustafarian rode by on a massive six-legged lava flea. Two more flea-mounted Mustafarians followed.

Maul had no idea where the Mustafarians were headed, whether they were going to a mining camp or back to their remote village. He would track them, find their food, and steal it. If it became necessary to kill them to ensure his own survival, he would gather rocks to strike them dead or strangle them with his own bandages and broken bones. And then he would find his way back to Sidous and prove that he was indeed a strong boy. He would prove that he feared nothing.

He would earn the respect of his Master.

The Three Mustafarians moved off. Maul followed them.

"Ah, you have returned," Sidious said to Maul, who stood before him in the tapestry-decorated chamber in the Mustafar facility. Sidious was holding a small container of food pellets, which he had been gently pushing into the hovering watery orb to feed the fish. Maul's head was covered with soot and dirt, and his torso was adorned with ill-fitting, bloodstained Mustafarian armor. Looking at the armor, Sidious smiled. "I see you kept busy during your little outing."

The spider-legged droid TD-D9 stood a short distance behind Maul. The droid's right front leg was missing, and one of it's left legs was mangled. "I found him outside, Master Sidious," TD-D9 said, "not far from the landing pad. He'd set a trap. I walked right into it." Raising one of its pincer arms, the droid held out the shattered remains of its front right leg. "Maul could have destroyed me."

Sidious set aside the fish food and looked at Maul skeptically. "Is this true? You could have destroyed the droid?"

"Yes, Master Sidious," Maul replied.

"Then why didn't you?"

Maul tilted his chin toward the droid, "Because I wanted to bring this thing back to you in pieces."

Sidious smiled again. "Maul, do you know how long you were running around on Mustafar's surface?"

Maul grimaced. "I'm not certain, Master Sidious. I fell asleep twice while I was outside."

"Well, I'll tell you, then. You survived outside for seventeen standard days. I doubt very much that many boys your age - and that includes young Mustafarians - could accomplish such a thing without a wealth of provisions and emergency equipment. I commend you."

The Wrath of Darth Maul

Maul, near the end of his time training at the Orsis Academy, took part in the "Gora", an infamous challenge in which a cadet is left in inhospitable conditions with nothing more a vibroblade. He is to survive for seven days, while killing a variety of large predators constantly. Not only did Maul survive - he had the time of his life, going as far as to kill these predators for sport.

For Maul, the current exercise was merely a warm-up for a bigger challenge on Orsis, an Academy rite of passage called the Gora. Named after the challenge's location, an immense volcanic crater filled with dense forsts, vast swamps, and bloodthirsty beasts. The Gora required a cadet to traverse the crater for seven days, surviving without food or equipment except for a single vibroblade.

The first day of the Gora was beyond intense.

The second day was even more brutal.

The third, fourth, fifth, and sixth days were increasingly bloody. And Maul was having the time of his life.

Countless wild predators kept him constantly occupied as well as sleepless. Except for his heightened senses and physical strength, he did not use the Force in any obvious way. With his vibroblade more often in his hand than in the sheath strapped to his upper leg, he moved like a jungle animal through the forests and grassy swamps that filled the enormous crater, killing some beasts in self-defence, some for food, and others for sheer sport.

Note* He didn't finish the 7th day because his attempt at the Gora was interrupted by a third party.

He performs a lightsaber exercise consisting of 10,000 slashes, hundreds of times, per day.

When I complete my basic exercises, I power up my double-bladed lightsaber and practice maneuvers. My body is as strong as durasteel and as fluid as water. I shift from one position of attack to another. I fall on one knee and slash my lightsaber as I imagine cleaving my victim cleanly. I roll away and grip my lightsaber with both hands for a vertical sweep. I leap and twist and come down, leading with my left shoulder. I deliver a death blow and leap away, somersaulting in the air. I perform ten thousand slashes, lunges, attacks.

My lightsaber is no longer a separate weapon, but part of my arm. I move in the time it would take my opponent to blink. I move in the time he would take to raise his weapon. He would only see the space where I had been. He would feel the sudden shock of the blow that would knock him to the floor. I do these maneuvers a hundred times a day. I do them even though my body knows them intimately, even though I have not made a mistake or a misstep in years. I do them until the memory of the movement is part of the muscle itself. The goal of the Sith is to fight without thought.

Even during his combat training, he faced opponents willing and programmed to kill him.

The dueling droids were programmed to kill. There were four of them, top-of-the-line Duelist Elites from Trang Robotics, all armed in different ways: one with a steel rapier, one with a heavy cudgel, the third with a short length of chain, and the last with a pair of double-edged hachete fighting blades as long and wide as a human’s forearm. They had been programmed with the skills of a dozen martial arts masters, and their reflexes were calibrated just a hair faster than human optimum. Their durasteel chassis were blaster-resistant. They had come factory-equipped with behavioral inhibitors that prevented them from delivering a death blow once their opponent had been beaten, but these inhibitors had been nullified by their new owner. A mistake against one would be fatal. Darth Maul did not make mistakes.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Yet they prove little challenge to Maul..

Darth Maul exhaled , relaxed his stance, and nodded. His heart rate had accelerated perhaps five beats above normal at most. There was the faintest sheen of perspiration on his forehead; otherwise his skin was dry. Perhaps sixty seconds had elapsed from start to finish. Maul frowned slightly. Not his personal best, by any means. It was one thing to face and defeat droids. Jedi were a different matter.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

A similar exercise in comic form:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8

After Maul's training at the Orsis Academy, he returned to Mustafar with Sidious. He spent the next fourteen days enduring the hardest tests Sidious had ever set out for him. He didn't just pass them - he "destroyed" them.

Sidious and Maul returned to Mustafar. For fourteen days, Sidious put Maul through a series of grueling physical tests. Maul defended himself against lightsaber wielding droids in the training room. Blindfolded, he threw daggers at robotic targets, which threw the daggers back at him. He was blindfolded again before he climbed into a starship flight simulator wired with disciplinary electrodes. He wore a sensory-deprivation suit when he ran through a maze that was lined with razor-edged walls, and also when he was deposited into a previously unexplored Mustafarian cave. In locked chambers, he was exposed to extreme temperatures and deprived of food. For each test, he drew strength from the dark side of the Force.

However.. despite Maul's success, these tests were just preliminaries to a much harder test.. the actual test for Maul to become a Sith Lord.

When the fourteen days were over, Maul was exhausted. His entire body ached as he stood before Sidious in the meeting room. Not only had he passed every test, he had destroyed every test. However, his Master always expected more from him, so he was not entirely surprised when Sidious said, "Because you have survived the preliminaries, you may proceed to the actual test to become a Sith Lord."

Maul willed his body to remain standing.

"I am sending you to a planet in the Outer Rim," Sidious continued. "It is made up of three kinds of terrain. Desert, swamp and mountains. You will have at least three matches on each terrain. I have sent a fleet of assassin droids to attack you. Each is programmed with different strategies. Some will work together. Some will work alone. They are all are programmed to kill."

Maul turned to face his master. Although Maul remained silent, the fire in his eyes betrayed his surprise. And his excitement.

Sidious noticed Maul's reaction. "That is correct. I am prepared to lose what I most value. So must you be to become a Sith. You must be prepared to lose your own life in order to win.

Maul nodded. "I understand, my Master."

"You will have to survive for a month," Sidious added. "You will only have a survival pack."

Despite his exhaustion, Maul felt exhilarated. He was determined to prove he was the best apprentice in the history of the Sith.

The Wrath of Darth Maul

Needless to say, the trial was extremely difficult.

The assassin droids were relentless. Programmed to fight to the death, they had blasters built into their chests and hands. No matter how hard Maul tried to conceal himself or his desperately improvised camps, the droids found him. They never slept, never allowed Maul to sleep for very long, never hesitated before they pounced. When Maul did manage to rest and recover, he fell asleep knowing he would be awakened by an attack.

The droids drove him into the frozen mountains and across the burning deserts. Maul's survival pack was torn from his back and lost in one battle. And after twenty days, Maul realized he was at risk of losing something else. His mind.

Because the attacks never stopped.

Maul was beyond paranoid. He had reason to believe that every sound, every shape, and every shadow on Hypori was a potential threat.

He grew thin and his strength began to ebb. He foraged for food when he could. Life was scarce on Hypori, but he found a few small animals, killed them, and ate them raw, because he dared not risk building a fire that would attract more droids.

It was when he was trying to eat a tough-skinned lizard at the base of a cliff that two droids attacked. Maul defeated both droids but sustained a blaster wound to his thigh. Limping into a ravine, he found a large cave and hauled his body into it. Maul knew he had to recover before he could fight again. But without his survival pack, he had no healing bacta or bandages.

The Wrath of Darth Maul

His trial was concluded by Sidious after this point.

Physical Prowess

Strength

Shatters the lower spine of a Rodian (without force augmentation) with an elbow, before guards could blink.

The fight hadn’t lasted long, and only when the blade-bearer had accidentally bumped into him had Maul glanced up long enough to drive an elbow upward and shatter the Rodian’s lower spine. The guards onboard hadn’t even blinked as the Rodian pitched over sideways, wailing and paralyzed, to the deck, where he lay whimpering for the duration of the trip, gazing up through moist and pleading eyes. It was the only time during the entire trip that Maul had moved.

At fifteen, Maul brutalizes a group of mercenaries, breaking bones.

Leaving the swordplay to the masked Dathomiri, Maul tore into the Vollick’s rear guard with fists and feet, bruising bodies and breaking bones as he fought his way to the warlord himself.

Restraint

During a prison fight on Cog Hive Seven, Maul gets matched up with a Yuuzhan Vong warrior, beings who exist outside of the Force and thus can't be felt by Force users, and can't be predicted with precognition like any other being. Maul successfully brutalized it with his bare hands during his first ever experience fighting such a being.

"The creature in front of him was a walking trophy case of previous kills. Two and a half meters high, its massive shoulders and upper torso encased in jagged plates of primitive armor that clearly had once served as the jawbone and carapace of a much larger predator, it seemed to occupy an entire corner of the prison cell."

"..he fell into a reflexive series of moves. Both hands shot out and grabbed the creature by its throat, hoisting it up over his head and squeezing until he felt the deep tendons of its neck beginning to give and weaken in his grip. There was a wet, muffled click from somewhere inside the thing’s chest and a sudden glut of warm, thick, sticky fluid began spurting up from its throat. Blood. Jet black."

"He tightened his grip, and the screaming sound got louder, becoming a broken, birdlike squawk. More blood leapt up, inky black and viscous, and started pouring from its mouth and eye sockets. Enough. Executing a perfectly balanced spin, Maul swung the creature around and slammed it to the floor with a sharp clang, connecting hard enough that he felt the steel plates reverberate under his feet. The thing’s head drooped on its broken neck.."

Exceprts from Maul fighting a wampa.

"Maul slid down through the pool of his own blood, rolled free, and sprang up behind the thing faster that it could turn. Cocking back one arm, he tensed his shoulder and snapped his elbow into the base of the creature’s skull, putting every ounce of upper body strength into a blow that should have shattered its neck. Nothing. It was like launching an elbow strike against solid stone covered with a layer of thick fur."

"..he fell into a low crouch, letting the wampa come at him again. Its next move would be its last. Maul sprang straight upward into it, driving his horned head into the thing’s lower jaw, pulverizing its mandible and slamming needle-sharp bone fragments into its cranial vault. Maul could actually feel the joints and fissures shattering inside the wampa’s skull and knew intuitively that he’d dealt it a killing blow. But when he looked up again, the thing was on its feet and advancing toward him, howling and keening, a blind colossus. The head-butt had left its face a caved-in mass of blood and exposed bone. Somewhere within the cauldron of his anger, Maul felt a wave of disbelief. How was it still fighting?"

"Summoning whatever remained of his strength, Maul fired himself at the beast. Hooking his hands into claws, he plunged them through its fur, ripping into the soft tissue of its torso... ...Shoving his hands deeper, he sank both arms in up to the elbow, beneath its rib cage and into its thoracic cavity, groping until he found what he was looking for— the slick, pulsating mass of its heart. Maul grabbed it, laced his fingers together, and squeezed. The wampa’s heart burst between his fingers like a dense and fibrous flower."

Maul's strength increased after fighting the wampa.

Maul muses over how he'd like rip Sadiki Blirr's head off.

Cracks the vertebrae of a guard.

Rips the armored skull of a varactyl off of it's neck in one jerk, without Force augmentation, and before his strength had fully recovered from prior fights.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

Here, during Mauls training exercise with droids who have durasteel armor, Maul is striking and breaking through their armor with ease, and seemingly no pain whatsoever.

Chain charged, its weapon whirling over its head like the propeller of a gyrocraft. The heavy links lashed toward him. Maul spun on his right foot and shot his left leg out in a powerful side kick, slamming his boot into the droid’s armored chest, stopping it cold.

Maul dropped, hooked his left foot around the back of the droid’s ankle, and pulled as he kicked hard at the droid’s thigh with the other foot. The droid fell backwards, unable to maintain its balance, and hit the floor. Maul sprang up, did a front flip, and came down with both boot heels driving into the droid’s head. The metal skull crunched and collapsed inward. Lights flashed and the hard-shell photoreceptors shattered.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Kicking into a persons chest.

Snarling, he whirled, moving faster then human eyes could follow, breaking Magneta's neck with the edge of his hand, then spinning again to send his stiffened right foot into the chest of the bodyguard as he rushed into the room.

End Game

Shatters durasteel binders with a jerk, and feels no pain in doing so.

Behind his back, Maul flexed his wrists. The durasteel binders dug into his flesh, but the Sith Lord felt no pain. With a jerk, Maul pulled his arms apart. The binders shattered, scattering bits of durasteel all over the cell's filthy floor.

Episode I Adventures: The Fury of Darth Maul

Shatters the surface of a table with a strike.

Maul’s clenched right hand slammed down on the table, shattering its surface, and the vibroblade took flight, nearly impaling itself in his head.

Restraint

Credit to Silver for those last two.

Speed

Moves faster than the eye can see, without Force augmentation.

“You— you don’t understand ,” he said. “You can’t be here. He thinks you’re dead.” Zero started to stand up, and Maul’s hand moved faster than the eye could see, grabbing Zero’s fork and slamming it down so that it impaled the Twi’lek’s sleeve, pinning his arm to the table.

At fifteen, without Force augmentation, Maul sprints through a hail of blaster bolts without getting hit.

He was preparing to make a break for the nearest hatchway when Mother Talzin called to him.“Don’t leave us, Maul!”He turned to see that she was on her feet, supported by one of the Nightsisters while the other was covering them.“Maul!” Talzin repeated.Confliction paralyzed him. Would his Master expect him to show sympathy? Even if the test had gone awry, Talzin might still be one of Sidious’ agents, and thus deserving of his help. Did the dark side of the Force ever permit self-sacrifice?Cursing through his gritted teeth, he put his right arm through the bow and hooked it over his shoulder, then ran through a hail of blaster bolts to reach Talzin. Heaving her over his shoulder, he raced for the safety of the adjacent bay, the two Nightsisters steps behind.

Restraint

Continues evading blaster bolts in the same situation.

Short sword in hand and evading bolts from Weequay and Siniteen blasters, Maul sprinted for the control room bulkhead.

Restraint

Activates his lightsaber just in time to deflect seven blaster bolts from a bounty hunter at close range, his hands moving in a blur.

He thumbed on both blades as the next blaster bolt and half a dozen more came his way in rapid succession. The Sith apprentice’s hands were a blur as he let the dark side take him over completely, giving in to its power and allowing it to control and manipulate him. Blaster bolts struck the lightsaber’s spinning blades and were deflected into the walls, the ceiling, the floor. No time to aim, though a bolt or two did hit the bounty hunter without apparent effect.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Dodges a wrist-launcher rocket after it was fired at extremely close range, disappearing in a blur before the bounty hunter's eyes.

Desperate, she reached for her wrist launcher. Her only chance was to hit the horned one squarely and hope that the explosion would be contained enough by the other’s body to allow Lihnn to survive. But as she triggered the launcher the tattooed man seemed to disappear in a blur. All of a sudden there was a hole in the wall where an instant ago it had been solid.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

He sidesteps blaster bolts.

Maul opened the door and stepped into the office. Trezza was seated behind his massive desk. Kilindi stood before him. And Meltch Krakko stood on the far side of the room, near an open fireplace.

Kilindi gasped at the sight o Maul's blood-soaked body. Maul fixed his gaze on Krakko and walked straight toward him. Even though Maul was not carrying any weapons, Krakko drew his blaster and fired at him. Maul jerked his body to the left, dodged the blaster bolt, and kept walking toward Krakko. Krakko fired two more shots. Maul dodged those too before he grabbed Krakko's gun arm with one hand, and his neck with the other.

The Wrath of Darth Maul

Maul running five times faster than a human can travel.

But there was an even quicker way to overtake them. He called upon the Force, moving easily five times faster than a human could travel at a dead run. There was no way they could escape him now.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Maul spins a web of light out of his lightsaber blades during a fight.

He pressed the attack viciously, blocking and thrusting, the twin radiant blades spinning a web of light about him.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Maul forms a whirling vortex of energy during his fight with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

The space around Maul became a whirling vortex of energy as he spun his dual-bladed lightsabre - traditionally used as a device - and launched a fierce attack on the two Jedi.

Star Wars Fact File 001

Dodges a freight train coming at him at over 100km/h (or, over 60mph).

He landed lightly. The entire tunnel was shaking as with the roar of some titanic beast. Maul looked up to see a driverless freight transport bearing down on him at better than one hundred kilometers an hour. Anyone else, even a trained athlete raised in a heavier gravity field, would have been crushed to paste. But Maul seized the Force, let it whip him up and to the side as if he were attached to a giant elastic band. The metal behemoth missed him by millimeters.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Spins his blade during combat, so fast, it forms a shield.

But they did not prevent her from deflecting his strikes as he again moved within range, his twin blades spinning so fast they seemed to merge into a crimson shield.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Maul fights so fast, that his blows seem to be coming from everywhere, being delivered all at once.

In his mind, the duel was all but over— his opponent was now dragging out the inevitable moment of defeat in a series of small humiliations. By turning to such diversionary tactics, Vosa had all but admitted that she was no match for the erratic staccato blows that he was delivering, seemingly from everywhere, all at once.

Moves so fast that recording equipment needs to be slowed down to see him.

When he was satisfied that he had committed the results of his reconnaissance to memory, he shrugged out of his cloak and leapt straight up over the fence, landing precisely where some of the rocks he had tossed rested. Then he sprang to a series of other sites that ultimately carried him to the wall of the principal building, moving with such speed the entire time that whatever holorecordings were being made wouldn't show him unless they were played in slow motion.

Moves faster than a droid can see.

Maul delivered a sharp kick to the droid's spherical underside. The droid soared toward the ceiling but regained control before impact and flew back toward the Sith. Maul leaped aside, moving faster than the droid's photoreceptor could follow. The droid raced past him and smashed hard against the cell wall.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

During a training exercise, Maul is facing a droid that can throw blows imperceptibly fast. Despite this, he still perceives his surroundings as if time had slowed down.

Rapier lunged at full extension, its metal knee joint bent almost to the floor. The needle point flickered toward Maul's heart, almost too fast to see.

The dark side blossomed in Darth Maul, the power of it resonating in him like black lightning, augmenting his years of training, guiding his reactions. Time seemed to slow, to stretch.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

States he can kill four or five beings in the flicker of an eyelash.

The Raiders shake their gaderffii and begin to surround me. There are just too many of them. I can take out four or five in the flicker of an eyelash, but that will just infuriate the rest. Frustration boils inside me. These interruptions deflect me from my mission.

Slashes a droid twice, so fast an onlooker couldn't even see either blow delivered.

Anger rises in me, which is good. The darkness crests and roars. I twist in the air, my lightsaber twirling, revolving. Its balance is perfect in my hand. I strike one hard blow to the left flank of the droid. I feel the power of the move reverberate all the way to my shoulder. It gratifies me. The other blow to the right follows a fraction of an instant later, so close that an observer would not be able to tell which blow came first.

Maul speedblitzes multiple squads of battle droids. A squad is made up of 8 droids. He would of been deflecting dozens of blaster bolts from numerous angles while doing this.

Calling his long lightsaber to his hand, he made short work of the squad, decapitating them with his blade or exploding them by deflecting blaster bolts back at them. The brief altercation drew several more patrols, the members of which he similarly dismembered.

End Game

Maul clearing through a 20 meter line's worth of Gungan soldiers, decapitating and slicing in half all of them, while dodging their spears and bombs.

Some of the Gungan riders saw him coming and took aim. Maul twisted his body, either evading flights of energy lances and spheres or fending them off with the lightsaber. Letting go of the STAP when he was still twenty meters from Ganne and the general, he called on the Force to send himself tearing through a score of mounted Gungans. It was clear that they had never seen anything like him. But then, who had? What Sith in the past thousand years had been allowed to wield a lightsaber in open battle? Was that in itself not enough to qualify him as atrue Sith?

The rubbery Gungans all but disintegrated at the touch of the twin blades Maul had hoped to reserve for the Jedi. Their billed heads flew in all directions. His slashes halved them down the middle or through the midsection, and they squawked as they died. Their nostrils flared and their eyes bulged from their heads, and the white sand beach grew puddled with their blood. Maul maneuvered closer to Ganne, cutting the legs out from under the Gungans’ mounts or impaling them on his lightsaber. He launched himself into the air when he was still five meters from the Boss and the general. The latter lost his head to one of the blades, and Ganne was knocked from his mount by Maul’s extended left hand.

End Game

Catches four arrows and returns them to sender.

The Bartokks scurried across the corridor and jammed twin-bolt crossbows down through the floor's open slots. They aimed their weapons at Maul and fired. Four poison-tipped, armor-piercing arrows sped toward the Sith Lord. Maul's hands moved like lightning as he plucked each arrow from the air and flung them back at the assassins. The arrows shot up through the grated floor and struck the two snipers. Their arms reflexively reached to remove the arrows, but the poison worked rapidly. Now there were four Bartokks lying on the corridor floor above Darth Maul.

Maul had wired an engine on a ship to explode. Whilst he was fleeing, he bumped into an opponent. He slashed this opponent a thousand times. We don't know how long it took him to carry out these slashes, but considering the bomb was going to go off soon, it would have to be very quick, as well as for him to get out of the blast radius, get into his ship and leave. This is also an impressive durability/pain tolerance feat, as Maul's leg was slashed by a vibro-axe and subsequently brought about extreme pain, but Maul ignored it, refused to limp, and sprinted to his ship.

My rage is a torrent, a burning river. I leap, twist, keeping my weight on my good leg. My lightsaber is part of my body now, merciless, hard, cruel. I dance around him, slicing his arms, chest, shoulders. I want a thousand cuts to kill him. He falls facedown without a cry.

I leap over his body and up the ramp. My leg wound screams in protest but I do not limp. I steel myself against the pain, disciplining my mind against it. I won't attend to it until I am safely away from this ship and have landed on Tatooine.

Then I hear the warm-up of the preliminary ignition of the freighter. I start my engines and activate departure procedures. A warning light tells me that the hatch will not close.

Massive credit to @silver2467 for uploading some of these quotes on a thread from a while ago.

Durability/Endurance

Maul gets the better of and essentially dominates Komari Vosa, a former apprentice of Count Dooku. However, before this fight he had suffered a blaster wound to the shoulder at point blank. He then goes on to kill the infamous Syrox or "worm", a massive man-eating worm with a healing factor, despite his wound

“Your right arm is slowing you down. Even your weapon is betraying you.” Maul kept coming, relying more and more on his left arm, saving the right for when he’d need it most. But Vosa seemed to anticipate everything he was doing, dropping low and then springing up and outward into an open space along a row of diagnostic machinery in the corner of the medbay. Maul’s lower lip drew back to reveal his teeth. If defeating Vosa was what he needed to do in order to get the weapon in the hands of the Gora, so be it. Gripping the lightsaber’s hilt, he squared his shoulders and swung again, thrusting his blade at her in a series of perfectly angled slashes. Vosa came back at him on the offense, both blades spinning.

“Jar’Kai,” Maul snarled, deflecting her assault on reflex. “Predictable.” He swung the lightsaber down, but at that moment the corridor shook again, jerking sideways, throwing them both off. Vosa recovered first, darting back, again too quick, and the speed with which she evaded his attack only inflamed the rage inside Maul’s mind, stoking his wrath until it crystallized into a kind of malignant grace. Now he gripped the lightsaber in both arms, forcing his damaged right arm into service and gripping the hilt of his saber with his full strength. It was time for Juyo, the Way of the Vornskr— the last of the Seven Forms. He seized upon it eagerly, allowing himself to be swept up in the chaotic frontal assault of thrusts, slashes, and jabs.

“Maul—” A tremor of new fear pulsed across Vosa’s face, disrupting her composure, as if she’d finally recognized the true ferocity of his purpose. Darting backward into a desperate evasive measure, Vosa whirled one of her blades behind her, hacking loose a massive shelf of surgical instruments from its place on the wall, and with a swing of the hand she used a Force push to fire them at him in a glinting storm of steel. Maul ducked the flying instruments and bobbed back up with a silent snarl. In his mind, the duel was all but over— his opponent was now dragging out the inevitable moment of defeat in a series of small humiliations. By turning to such diversionary tactics, Vosa had all but admitted that she was no match for the erratic staccato blows that he was delivering, seemingly from everywhere, all at once.

He charged at it, the makeshift lightsaber swinging sideways in both hands as he thrust it directly into the thing’s gaping maw, then planted his feet and spun the blade in a 360-degree arc. His right arm felt like it was on fire. His right shoulder was screaming at him. He ignored it, sweeping the saber around again, carving the very teeth from its mouth, slashing at the mandibles from the inside, then spinning it the other way until he’d chopped the mouthparts themselves to ribbons.

Here are some of the injuries Maul took during his bare handed, forceless, fight with the Wampa. Before he crushed it's heart in his hands.

Maul leapt upward , dodging the initial attack— but the creature’s massive arm swung around as it passed, its claws raking his back, ripping through flesh to gouge deep into the muscle along his spine. Maul felt his breath sucked from his lungs. A cruel, hot spike— even now he refused to think of it as pain—took hold of that entire side of his body, settling deep inside his nerve endings.

The wampa’s claw shot forward, slashing diagonally across Maul’s face. The moment of clarity vanished in the hot rush of his own anger. Maul lowered his head, tightening up his core, hearing a new growl rising up— his own growl this time, emanating from the most deep and primal pit of his being. He opened himself to it, the deep venom of wrath taking control, fast and sleek and powerful.

The thing lunged again, sinking its teeth into Maul’s shoulder, hitting crucial nerve bundles. All the strength disappeared from his hand and wrist, his body turning traitor at the worst possible moment. His arms fell slack and he stumbled backward, staring up at his adversary.

As you can see.. he has his muscle cut into by the Wampas claws, and is even bitten through crucial nerve bundles, and still manages to win the fight. And in the second paragraph you'll note that he is only further angered and motivated by physical pain.

Maul tanks a strike from the creature I mentioned in the strength section earlier, and also fights through having venom shot into his eyes.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

Each of Maul's limbs were being pulled apart by retracting wire cables. Despite the horrendous pain, he ignores it, dislocates his right arm, frees his left arm, and then lands on his right arm to pop it back into place.

Maul fights an Aqualish underwater, whilst tied to a bench. Prior to this bout, Maul received a deep gash from a varactyl.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6

Here, Maul gets run over by Skycar repulsors. They were set to a force output meant to leave Maul unconscious long enough for his targets to drive away in escape. Maul is up off his feet before they barely get in the skycar, amazing everyone, even a droid.

The skycar passed right over the robed figure at a height carefully calculated to deliver a force from the repulsors sufficient to stun but not kill. It worked; as the vehicle lurched and moved on, Darsha looked behind them and saw the mysterious assailant lying in the street, the fuliginous robes a darker blot against the general darkness. Then Master Bondara brought the skycar to a stop near the two fugitives. Darsha noted with surprise that one of them was a droid.

“Get in,” Master Bondara said to the human. “He’s unconscious, but I don’t know how long he’ll be—” “Not long,” the droid said, and pointed back toward the pursuer. Darsha glanced back and saw to her astonishment that the dark one was already rising to his feet. She could scarcely believe he had recovered from the repulsors’ hammering so fast.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Maul tanks a large fall that would have broken the back of any ordinary being.

Qui-Gon struck and surprised Maul with a backhanded blow to the head that sent Maul over the catwalk's edge.

Maul did not cry out. He knew the shaft's central catwalk lay below him. He kept his lightsaber activated and held it's pommel close to his chest as he landed hard on his back on the catwalk. The impact would have broken an ordinary man's back, but Maul was not by any means ordinary.

The Wrath of Darth Maul

This seems like the best category for this. Maul is largely immune to the effects of pheromones produced from his Falleen instructor Trezza.

The Falleen had been silent during the return trip from the high valley, releasing pheromones meant to pacify Maul, even though he was largely immune to their effects.

Restraint

I'm putting this feat at the end given it's part-agility and part-durability and is a nice entry into the Agility category.

Maul survives a 30 meter (98 feet) fall through the lower depths of Coruscant. He uses Teras Kasi - which grants him full control over his body - to dodge obstacles on the way down that could kill him, and also uses the force to manipulate gravity and cushion the fall. Even though he had been propelled by a massive, vaporizing explosion, and was half-stunned, he was able to aim his descent without being killed.

DISCIPLINE. Discipline is all. It conquers pain. It conquers fear. Most important of all, it conquers failure. Discipline is what allowed Darth Maul to survive a thirty -meter fall into a pile of rubble and debris: the discipline of his teräs käsi fighting skills, which gave him complete control over his body, allowing him to utilize midair acrobatics to direct his fall and so avoid striking ornamental projections, ledges, and other potentially lethal obstructions; the discipline of the dark side, which let him manipulate gravity itself, slowing his descent enough to hit the ground without becoming a lifeless bag of broken bones and ruptured organs. Even half stunned by the unexpected explosion of his speeder bike, Maul was able to aim his falling body in such a way as to survive.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Agility

Dodges large amounts of blaster bolts at close range, and also runs up a wall, outrunning blaster bolts. Finishes with a force-aided backflip over the droids. Also shows off a nice acrobatic kick, no doubt a Teras Kasi technique.

Uses the force to jump 10 meters (32 feet) in the air to grab onto a skycar.

But not swiftly enough. The vehicle shuddered from a blow delivered to the stern undercarriage, and then lurched to one side. As Master Bondara fought the controls, Darsha saw a black-gloved hand catch the cockpit’s rear gunwale. He must have used the Force to help him jump, she thought, as the skycar was already a good ten meters off the ground.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Maul and Jedi Master Anoon Bondara exchange blows while on top of an auto-piloted skycar at high speeds. They then both leap from the Skycar onto a small platform to continue their fight

(I'd estimate this was a leap between 12-20 meters, given the height of the platform compared to how high Maul had leaped to reach the skycar earlier).

THE TWI’LEK JEDI’S leap, guided by the Force, landed him squarely behind Maul on the rear engine housing of the T-shaped bike. The action took Maul by surprise; he had not expected such a courageous, if foolhardy, deed.

Unexpected as the move was, however, Maul was still able to block the slash of the other’s lightsaber with his own energy blade. He quickly activated the speeder’s autopilot, then twisted around in the saddle, thrusting his weapon at the Jedi’s chest. The Jedi blocked the blow and countered with another.

Maul knew the battle could not continue this way. The speeder bike’s autopilot was not sophisticated enough to chart a safe course at high speed through the torturous windings of the surface streets. He grabbed the handlebar and jerked the speeder toward a docking platform on a nearby building, about thirty meters above the street. They shot by the skycar, which had slowed after the Jedi left it, and rose toward the shelf. As the ledge came within range of the autopilot’s sensors, the speeder slowed, then settled down to a landing on the extruded slab of ferrocrete. The Sith and the Jedi leapt from the speeder bike onto the platform to continue their battle.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Maul leaps over an opponent and lands behind him in the time it takes him to swing an axe.

The dark side alerts me that the captain is taking aim at my back. He will try to crush me with a swipe from each hand, hoping to cut me in two.

I leap, again using the dark side to add velocity and distance. I sail high above his head and grab onto one of the cages with one hand. I use the momentum to swing past the captain. I let go, make a midair reversal, and land behind him. I have done this so fast that his two vibro-axes are now meeting where my body once stood.

Star Wars Episode I Journal: Darth Maul

Performs a triple backflip.

Maul was exercising in his training room on Coruscant and had just completed a triple backward flip when he heard the signal on his comlink.

Maul jumps out of a ship at 55 meters (180+ feet) above sea level, and dives into the ocean.

The hatch exploded open. Maul kept his head pressed against his knees as he sailed out of the cruiser, fifty-five meters above sea level. He tumbled through the air, the cruiser's engines whining away from him as it veered across the sky. Automatically recalculating his descent, he twisted at the waist before he straightened and extended his legs skyward. His fists braced before him, he knifed into the water.

Pain Tolerance

Pain tolerance is definitely one of Mauls defining traits. It would normally come under durability, but given the amount of punishment Maul can put up with and keep fighting, I felt like this should have it's own little section.

Let's kick things off by discussing the time Maul nearly got cooked alive.

He closed his eyes, summoning the power of the dark side, searching the hatch, probing it for structural weakness. It didn’t budge. Blinking back sweat, he rededicated himself to the task at hand. It was growing feverishly hot inside the lift, where Warden Blirr had no doubt intended to roast him alive, or until she broke down whatever rebellious aspect she saw in him, and turned him into … what? Her mascot, her house pet, or something even more servile?

The notion revolted him, and he jammed the metal strip in deeper between the locked hatch and its housing, wiggling it back and forth. Boiling with impatience, he released a concentrated energy field against the hatch, battering it, but it still wouldn’t budge.

Maul cursed, the anger rising up inside him from wherever it lived and toiled endlessly. Tightening his grip on the makeshift tool, he started working again on the hatch, forcing himself to take his time, fighting to ignore the suffocating heat, the baked air that filled his lungs, as if he were drawing breath directly from a blast furnace.

He fixed his gaze straight up. The hatch itself, an unremarkable twelve-by-eighteen-centimeter rectangle, had become his entire world. Twelve by eighteen, and in the end it represented the difference between completing his mission and perishing in shame and obscurity.

Slipher— Radique— the khipus—

He clenched his teeth , the heat very close to him now, pressing in from all sides, clinging to him like a second skin. By now the walls had become scalding steel plates, burning the palm of his hand and the fingers holding him in place. The inside of his mouth felt cool by comparison. A drop of sweat hit the floor and he realized that he could actually hear it sizzle. If the temperature kept going up like this, he guessed that he might have another minute or two before he blacked out from heat prostration, and then—

He kept working. There was an odd, meaty smell rising up around him, and when his blistered palm shifted slightly on the wall, he realized that it was his own flesh beginning to roast. Master. I will not fail.

He breathed in, breathed out. An odd, narcotic dizziness had started to take hold of him , and he reached down deep into whatever remained of his consciousness, forcing himself to focus. He needed to find Eogan Truax. If he could just— All at once, the hatch popped open.

He was easily in 200+++ degree heats here. His flesh was roasting. He was balancing on the same steel plating that was scalding his palms to a crisp. He could of passed out from heat exhaustion much earlier but he endured all of it and bust open the steel hatch. Absolutely insane pain tolerance.

Maul muses that in a sparring match with Sidious, the lightsaber burns he was going to receive would make the training blaster bolt burns he had received seem like affectionate taps in comparison.

From the folds of his robe he produced two lightsabers, tossing one of them to Maul before igniting the blade of his own. Maul guessed that the burns he was about to sustain would make the ones he had received from Meltch’s blaster seem like taps of affection.

Restraint

Instead of reposting them, I'm going to re-list some of the durability feats from earlier that also feature a lot of pain tolerance.

- Dominating a lightsaber duel and killing a massive worm just after being shot point blank in the shoulder by a blaster.

- After having his spine-muscle raked into and his vital nerve bundles bitten, he still manages to kill a Wampa with his bare hands.

Lightsaber and Martial Art Skill

Maul is a master of Lightsaber form VII, Juyo, the most aggressive lightsaber form. It is one of the most physically demanding of the lightsaber forms, and is completely fueled by the fury of the user. It is extremely effective against lone opponents, being able to completely off-balance and overwhelm even the best fighters. Juyo practitioners require a high-end mastery of multiple other lightsaber forms in order to master the discipline of Form VII.

Only high-level masters of multiple forms can achieve and control the ultimate discipline known as Form VII.

- Insider #62: Fightsaber

Credit to ShootingNova

Form VII, also called Juyo, is the most difficult and demanding of all forms. Only high-level masters of multiple forms can achieve and control this discipline, which can lead to fantastic power and skill.

- Jedi vs Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

As a result of Juyo's prerequisites, Maul is also a master of Jar'Kai, a style of sword fighting for those utilizing dual blades. Jar'Kai has gradually become a part of lightsaber forms such as Niman and Ataru. Maul has also trained in and logically mastered Niman (because of Juyo's prerequisites), the 6th lightsaber form which promoted balance and used a little bit of everything. The jack of all trades fighting style, not too many strengths, but not too many weaknesses either. Extremely useful knowledge to have in a fight when you need to adjust to an unpredictable opponent.

Plagueis watched as droid after droid was impaled on the opposing crimson blades. “It strikes me as unnecessary, but I won’t deny his mastery of the Jar’Kai technique.” Again, he turned to Sidious. “Niman and teräs käsi will never substitute for dun möch, but I appreciate that you have trained him to be a fighting machine rather than a true apprentice.

Darth Plagueis

What is astonishing is that Niman requires at least ten years of time to fully master, if you only dedicate yourself to it's practice - but Maul was only between the ages of twenty and twenty two by the time he had mastered Juyo, and he hadn't began lightsaber training until he was into his mid-teen years. So he must have mastered Niman at an alarming rate, as well as it's variant Jar'kai, in order to use it as a prerequisite for Juyo.

Cin Drallig in - Jedi vs Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
Cin Drallig in - Jedi vs Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Maul requires mastery of multiple Forms in order to control Juyo. It's likely that Maul's prerequisite fighting styles were Niman, the unarmed martial art Teras Kasi as well as Form IV, Ataru. Ataru incorporates extensive acrobatics and elegant, elaborate lightsaber sequences. It is the most physically demanding lightsaber Form due to it's emphasis on Force Augmentation. Ataru, like Niman, has ties to Jar'kai in that people will use Ataru (or Niman) as a gateway discipline into Jar'kai due to the shared techniques and fighting philosophy.

This makes complete sense for Maul. Sidious himself has described Maul as an elegant fighter (Episode I Journal: Darth Maul), Maul makes frequent use of acrobatics in his combat sequences, is a masterful practitioner of Jar'kai, and has the physical capacity to handle the duress Ataru would cause to the body. Moving on..

As noted above, Maul had also been taught in the Teras Kasi fighting arts - which I go into more detail about below.

Darth Maul is one of the most skilled, deadly and dangerous Sith in the history of the order, as well as one of the most highly trained.

One of the most skilled and deadly warriors in Sith history, Darth Sidious' apprentice took part in the first encounter between Jedi Knight and Sith warrior for more than 1,000 years in the Battle for Naboo.

As a Sith devotee, Darth Maul drew his power from the dark side of the Force. He was one of the most highly trained Sith in the history of the order.

The Official Star Wars Fact File #1

Darth Maul is Darth Sidious's apprentice and one of the most dangerous and highly trained Sith in the history of the Order.

Star Wars: Character Encyclopedia

By roughly the age of thirteen, Maul had already mastered numerous martial arts.

Maul nodded. Six years had passed since his arrival on Orsis. Taller and stronger, he still did not know his own age, but based on his observations of similar humanoids, he assumed he was about thirteen years old. Although he was already considered a master of numerous martial arts, he still had difficulty working as part of a team.

Sidious explains that he taught Maul, again, numerous martial arts that were described as exotic and forbidden.

(Credit to @silver2467)

I took inspiration from the Jedi tradition of indoctrinating Force-sensitive infants when I selected one apprentice, whom I named Darth Maul. I took him from his home world, Iridonia, and raised him as I would construct the perfect weapon. I trained him in numerous exotic and forbidden martial arts, disciplined him constantly, and personally applied the Sith tattoos that were evidence of his complete dedication to the dark side.

Jedi vs Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Maul uses a Saberstaff, or, a Double-Bladed lightsaber. Here is a statement explaining the level of mastery and precision required to use one.

Any Jedi Knight could wield a single-bladed lightsaber; only a master fighter could use the weapon first designed by the legendary Dark Lord Exar Kun millennia ago. Unless one was in perfect attunement with it, the weapon could be as deadly to the user as to the opponent.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Maul, unconventionally to the Sith, was trained in Teras Kasi. Teras Kasi was a martial art originally developed for non-force users to combat Jedi. Sith are usually trained in Dun Moch, but Maul being an assassin and a physically-focused fighter, took this fighting style under his belt.

Maul shows martial skill, targeting weak areas.

No Caption Provided

Here are excerpts from his fight with Jedi Master Anoon Bondara, who was stated to be one of the Jedi's best fighters at that time.

The Jedi was obviously a master of the teräs käsi fighting arts, as well, judging by the smooth way he parried and counterattacked . Still, within the first few moments of the engagement, Darth Maul knew that he himself was the superior fighter. He could tell that the Jedi knew it, too, but Maul also knew that it didn’t matter. The Jedi was committed to stopping the Sith, or at the very least slowing him down enough to let the others get away, even if it meant giving his own life to do so.

Maul bared his teeth. He would not lose his quarry again! He doubled his efforts, pressing the attack hard, hammering away at the Twi’lek’s defenses. The Jedi gave ground, but Maul was still unable to slash through his guard.

Darth Maul had seen the grim realization in the eyes of his foe: the knowledge that the Twi’lek could not defeat his adversary. Once defeat was conceded in the mind, its reality was inevitable. It was only a matter of time.

He pressed his attack to an even higher intensity, driving the Jedi back toward his speeder bike, intending to pin him between the dual-bladed lightsaber and the bike. With his movements thus constricted, it would be mere moments before the Twi’lek’s tentacled head was separated from his neck.

But then he saw the desperation in the other’s face suddenly give way to realization, and then to triumph. Quickly, before Maul could intuit what was intended, the Jedi whirled toward the speeder bike, raised his lightsaber— and plunged it to the hilt into the bike’s repulsor drive housing.

Maul realized his suicidal intention, but too late . The superheated energy blade melted with lightning swiftness through the housing and sank into the bike’s power cell core. Maul turned and leapt from the platform, reaching for the dark side, enfolding himself in it even as the power cell exploded, the heat and pressure wave vaporizing the Jedi in a microsecond and then expanding, reaching hungrily for him, as well.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Bondara, despite being an experienced Jedi Master and also a Master of the Teras Kasi fighting arts, was no match for Maul. They both realized that within moments of the fight. So he committed solely to defence, and eventually ended up trying to suicide bomb Maul as his last dying act.

Maul defeated Bondara's padawan, Darsha Assant, while she was amped. (First paragraph also notes that Anoon Bondara was one of the Jedi's best fighters.)

For a few incredibly long heartbeats Darsha was paralyzed by shock, defeated by her emotions. Fear, despair, and hopelessness clawed at her, sapping her will. She faced the ultimate enemy; the Sith was far more powerful than she in the Force. He had slain Master Bondara, one of the Jedi’s best fighters.

For a Padawan, she was a worthy opponent. No Jedi Master lived within the Force more fully than she did at this moment.

But he was going to kill her. He knew it, and so did she.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Long story short, she ends up, like her master, trying to suicide bomb Maul, and fails. The amp she was under at the time boosted her force abilities to levels well above even her own master, but because Maul was more refined in the force and combat, he still dominated her.

Maul defeating a Dathomirian Night Sister (they are witches from Dathomir who are raised to be strong in the dark side). Note that he resists her force lightning and still kills her.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

Defeats a collective of Black Sun soldiers along with a Force User.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6

Maul single handedly kills about 40 blaster armed Black Sun enforcers coming at him from all directions. He then goes on to "slaughter seven of the deadliest beings in the galaxy in less time than it takes to say it."

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8Gallery image 9Gallery image 10

This is a very nice feat of combat knowledge from Maul at the age of three. He can pinpoint the vulnerabilities of nearly every native species on Mustafar.

He could identify hundreds of star systems, assemble complicated three-dimensional puzzles, and pinpoint the the vulnerabilities of nearly every native creature on Mustafar.

Last but certainly not least, Maul's feats from the Naboo Crisis. In his first fight with Qui-Gon Jinn, he tires him and drives him into a retreat despite having an injured leg, and not being at his best.

The Jedi meets my first blow, blocking it. He has expected my flying maneuver.

If an opponent can read you, the fight is over. I don't like that the Jedi was perfectly prepared for my first blow. Within seconds, I throw away my usual combinations and strategies. This Jedi seems to know how I will move before I do.

But he cannot match my strength. I sense this. And I feel his surprise at this. Yet he does not let his puzzlement slow him down. I tell myself that this man has never met an enemy like me before, and it frightens him.

Your fear is justified. Prepare to die.

I accelerate my pace, calling on my anger to increase my power. My footwork has never been so brilliant. I use the shifting sand as resistance. My lightness and quickness will defeat this man, with his large body, his heavy movements.

But he is graceful, this Jedi. The sand doesn't see to hamper him. He is never off balance, no matter where or how I strike.

Our blows send shudders through my body. He meets my strength. Our lightsabers clash and sizzle. Dust and sand rise around us. I never lose my rhythm.

The Jedi calls to the boy, tells him to go back to the ship. The cowardly boy runs off. After I defeat my enemy, I will find the second Jedi.

But I must confess that this Jedi is a challenge. If I leap, he is with me. If I turn, he follows me. He meets my ferocity with his own. His lightsaber swirls and hums, and several times comes closer than I like.

It is because of my wound. It has slowed me down somewhat. It is almost imperceptible, but it is there. The Jedi has an advantage. I am not at my best.

This realization sends more rage pumping into my body. I am angry at myself, but I use the anger to fuel the dark side. I feel the Force come from the Jedi and I send it back to him, showing him that I, too, have a connection, and it is stronger than his. I launch a furious counterattack. I feel like the Jedi is beginning to tire, and triumph rises like a red mist before my eyes. I gain the advantage. I am winning. I will defeat him.

I have been surprised at his skill, but now I am confident of victory. I will savor each moment of this battle.

Even through his fatigue, his blows still have power. He is a large man with impressive strength. He will fall heavily, like a monument.

I feel a savage pleasure course through me. His weakness feeds my power. I drive him back, spin around when he parries, drive him back again. The dust chokes my throat, but I don't notice.

Qui-Gon then escapes. Not for long, however..

Darth Maul was able to cope much better against Qui-Gon, as well as his apprentice Obi-Wan, when he was unhampered by any injuries. He effortlessly deflected their simultaneous assault as he deliberately led their duel to the reactor core. He managed to separate the pair, and defeat each of them individually, like a true master combatant and tactician would.

(Note: I haven't typed up the entire fight in novel form, only the most important parts)

Maul made a jabbing motion at Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan leaped over Maul. Their lightsabers clashed as Obi-Wan flipped over Maul's head and landed behind him. Keeping his eyes on Qui-Gon, Maul angled his lightsaber to block Obi-Wan's blade from behind, then ducked fast to evade Qui-Gon's sweeping blade.

Maul advanced toward Qui-Gon and spun, deflecting blows from both Jedi as the fight shifted across the hanger deck. Rapidly spinning his lightsaber blade, he anticipated their moves with ease. Having expected a greater challenge from Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, he felt even more disgusted by them. But if the Jedi held no surprises in combat, Maul knew he had his Master to thank for that. If not for his Master, he never would have been a match for two Jedi at the same time.

He kicked Qui-Gon in the chest so hard that he knocked the Jedi off his fee. He flipped away from Obi-Wan, flinging his body through the air to land before a doorway that led to Theed City's power generator. With one hand gripping his lightsaber, he reached out with the Force and seized a large piece of debris from one of the ruined destroyer droids, then launched it at the door's opening mechanism. The mechanism exploded in sparks and the door began to slide open.

Qui-Gon was already up and he rushed toward Maul, but Obi-Wan reached him first. Maul spun his lightsaber, deflecting his opponents' strikes as he backed through the open doorway. He launched a high kick that connected with Obi-Wan's jaw. As Obi-Wan fell back and rolled across the floor, Maul backed up, luring Qui-Gon toward the power generator. Obi-Wan got up fast and sprinted to rejoin the fight.

That's it. Come to me.

Qui-Gon swung. Maul parried and swung back fast, clipping Qui-Gon's blade and then Obi-Wan's. The double-bladed lightsaber was a blur. Maul backed onto an inspection platform that was suspended high over the generator's deep shaft, and kicked off, backflipping to one of the many catwalks that spanned different levels in the shaft. Both Jedi leaped after him, and the fight proceeded along the catwalk.

Maul leered again at Qui-Gon. You think you're driving me back. You have no idea that I'm in control. You don't know where I'm taking you.

Maul sensed the laser doors opening behind him. Qui-Gon was unrelenting in his ongoing attack, but Maul parried every blow. Qui-Gon swung at Maul's legs, but the blade swept under his feet as Maul jumped backward. Maul continued moving back, leading Qui-Gon into the hallway. They passed the first four security barriers before the doors activated and shut.

Warding off Qui-Gon's attack with each backward step, Maul maneuvered around the circular mouth of the generator's core, a virtually fathomless pit. Maul sensed Qui-Gon was fighting without hatred, just as he sensed Obi-Wan's helplessness from behind the transparent laser door. He spun his lightsaber to deflect a rapid series of strikes from Qui-Gon's blade, then brought his own lightsaber up fast and slammed the side of its pommel against Qui-Gon's face, stunning the Jedi. And then, with a flick of the wrist, he drove one of his red blades straight through Qui-Gon's chest.

You're next.

When the door opened, Obi-Wan's lightsaber was blazing and so was Maul's. The young Jedi practically flew toward Maul. Their lightsabers smashed into each other. Maul spun and turned, flipping his lightsaber and forcing Obi-Wan to move that much faster with his inferior single-bladed weapon. Maul noticed that Obi-Wan was fighting more offensively than Qui-Gon, but it didn't matter. The boy would suffer the same fate as-

Obi-Wan's lightsaber came up fast and swept through the pommel of Maul's weapon. One half of Maul's lightsaber shattered, leaving his left hand clutching what amounted to a still-functioning single blade. Before he could react, Obi-Wan kicked him in the chest and he was sent sprawling onto his back near the edge of the core.

Obi-Wan leaped over Maul and tried to drive his lightsaber through Maul's prone body, but Maul blocked the strike and flung himself up from the floor. Obi-Wan landed behind Maul, but Maul turned and blocked another series of strikes before he kicked Obi-Wan in the jaw.

The Jedi moved with the kick, letting it carry him into a backflip. Landing on his feet, he struck back at Maul, driving them both away from the core. Maul flipped to the side and then used the power of the Force to shove Obi-Wan backward.

The Wrath of Darth Maul

Here's the TPM novelisation of the fight.. note, it's pretty long.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan closed with the Sith Lord in a clash of lightsabers that produced the shriek of diamond-edged saw blades cutting through metal. Wheeling across the center of the hangar, the combatants lunged and parried, attack and counterattack carried out in a fierce, no-holds-barred, no-quarter - given struggle. The Sith Lord was supple and quick, and he worked his way between the Jedi with confidence and ease, whipping his two-ended lightsaber back and forth between them, more than holding his own against their efforts to bring him down. He was skilled, Anakin saw-more skilled, perhaps, than the men he faced. And he was confident in a way that was disturbing. He would not be overcome easily.

Qui-Gon Jinn was one of the most able swordsmen in the Jedi order. The Jedi Master he had trained under had considered him one of the best the Master had taught in his more than four hundred years in the order. Qui-Gon had fought in conflicts all across the galaxy in the span of his life and against odds so great that many others would not have stood a chance. He had survived battles that had tested his skill and resolve in every conceivable way.

But on this day, he had met his match. The Sith Lord he battled with Obi-Wan was more than his equal in weapons training, and he had the advantage of being younger and stronger. Qui-Gon was nearing sixty; his youth was behind him and his strength was beginning to diminish. His edge now, to the extent that he had one, came from his long experience and intuitive grasp of how an adversary might employ a lightsaber against him.

Obi-Wan brought youth and stamina to the combat, but he had fought in only a few contests and was not battle hardened. Together, they were able to hold their own against the Sith Lord, but their efforts at attack, at assuming the offensive against this dangerous adversary, were woefully inadequate.

Darth Maul was a warrior in his prime, never to be any better, his powers at their apex. In addition, he was driven by his messianic hatred for and disdain of the Jedi Knights, the enemies of the Sith for millennia. He had worked and trained all his life for this moment, for a chance to meet a Jedi Knight in combat. It was an added bonus that he was able to engage two. He had no fear for himself, no doubt that he would win. He was focused in a way that Qui-Gon recognized at once-a Jedi's focus, mindful of the present, locked in on what was needed in the here and now. Qui-Gon saw it in his mad eyes and in the set of his red and black tattooed features. The Sith Lord was a living example of what the Jedi Master was always telling Obi-Wan about how best to hear the will of the Force.

The three combatants fought their way across the hangar floor, lightsabers flashing, bringing to bear every skill they had acquired over the years. The Jedi Knights tried continually to press the attack, and indeed, the Sith Lord was moving away from the Naboo and the starfighters and back toward the hangar's far wall. But Qui-Gon recognized that while it might seem as if the Jedi were driving him before them, it was the Sith Lord who was controlling the struggle. Wheeling and spinning, leaping and somersaulting with astonishing ease, their enemy was taking them with him, drawing them on to a place of his own choosing. His agility and dexterity allowed him to keep them both at bay, constantly attacking while at the same time effectively blunting their counterattacks, relentlessly searching for an opening in their defense.

Qui-Gon pressed hard in the beginning, sensing how dangerous this man was, wanting to put an end to the combat quickly. Long hair flying out behind him, he attacked with ferocity and determination. Obi-Wan came with him, following his lead. They had fought together before, and they knew each other's moves. Qui-Gon had trained Obi-Wan, and while the younger Jedi was not yet his equal, he believed that one day Obi - Wan would be better than he had ever been.

So they challenged the Sith Lord quickly, and just as quickly I discovered that their best efforts were not good enough to achieve an early resolution. They settled into a pattern then, working as a team against their enemy, waiting for an opening. But the Sith Lord was too smart to give them one, and so the battle had gone on.

They fought their way out of the main hangar through an entry that led into a power station. Catwalks and overhangs crisscrossed a pit in which a tandem of generators that served the starship complex was housed. The room was cavernous and filled with the noise of heavy machinery. Ambient light filtered away in clouds of steam and layers of shadows. The Jedi and the Sith Lord battled onto one of the catwalks suspended above the generators, and the metal frame rang with the thudding of their boots and the clash of their lightsabers.

Alone in the power station, hidden from the rest of Theed and its occupants, they intensified their struggle.

The Sith Lord leapt from the bridge on which they fought to the one above, strange face shining with the heat of the battle and his own peculiar joy. The Jedi followed, one coming up in front of him, one behind, so that they had him pinned between them. Down the length of the catwalk they fought, lightsabers flashing, sparks flying from the metal railing of the walk as they smashed against it.

Then Darth Maul caught Obi-Wan off balance and with a powerful kick knocked the Jedi completely over the railing. Taking advantage of the Sith Lord's assault on Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon forced Darth Maul over the railing as well. Down the Sith Lord tumbled, landing hard on a catwalk several levels below Obi-Wan. The force of the fall or perhaps the unexpectedness of it left him visibly stunned, and Qui-Gon leapt down after him, sensing a chance to put an end to things. But the Sith Lord struggled back to his feet quickly and raced away, taking the battle in a new direction.

By the time Obi-Wan had recovered, Qui-Gon was in pursuit of Darth Maul, following him down the catwalk toward a small door at the far end of the power station. The Jedi Master went swiftly, legs and arms pumping, lightsaber flashing. He was worn and battered by now, close to exhaustion, but the Sith Lord was on the defensive at last, and he did not want to give him a chance to regroup.

"Qui-Gon!" Obi-Wan called after him, trying to catch up, but the Jedi Master did not slow.

One after the other, the three antagonists passed through the small door into a corridor beyond. They were moving quickly in their frenzied chase and were into the corridor before they realized what it was. Lasers ricocheted off buffer struts, pulsing in long bursts of crisscrossing brilliance that segmented the corridor at five points. The lasers had just begun to kick in when the Sith Lord and the Jedi Knights rushed through the entry. Darth Maul, in the lead, got farthest down the corridor and found himself trapped between walls four and five. Qui-Gon, in close pursuit, was caught only one wall away. Obi-Wan, who was farthest away in the chase, did not get past even the first wall.

Shocked into immobility by the buzz and flash of the lasers, the antagonists froze where they were, casting about for an escape, finding none. Qui-Gon took a quick measure of their location. They were in the service corridor for the melting pit, the disposal unit of the power station's residue. The service corridor was armed With lasers against unauthorized intrusion. There would be a shutoff switch somewhere at both ends of the passage, but it was too late to look for it now.

The Jedi Knights stared down the laser-riddled corridor at the Sith Lord, who gave them a Wicked grin. Don't worry, they could read in his dark countenance, you won't have long to wait for me.

Qui-Gon exchanged a meaningful glance With Obi-Wan, then dropped into a guarded crouch to meditate and wait.

Obi-wan Kenobi prowled the front end of the service corridor to the melting pit like a caged animal. He was furious at himself for getting trapped so far from Qui-Gon and furious with Qui-Gon for letting this happen by rushing ahead instead of waiting for him. But he was worried, too. He could admit it to himself, privately, if only just. They should have won this battle long ago. Against any other opponent, they would have. But the Sith Lord was battle trained and seasoned well beyond anyone they had ever encountered before. He had matched them blow for blow, and they weren't any closer to winning this fight now than they had been in the beginning.

Obi-Wan stared down the length of the corridor, measuring the distance he would have to travel to reach Qui-Gon and his antagonist when the lasers paused. He had caught a glimpse of them deactivating while rushing to catch up with Qui - Gon, then of reactivating again in a matter of seconds. He would have to be quick. Very quick. He did not want the Master facing this tattooed madman alone.

Down the way, pinned between two walls of laser beams, Qui-Gon Jinn knelt in meditation, facing toward the Sith Lord and the melting pit, his head lowered over his lightsaber. He was gathering himself for a final assault, bringing himself in tune with the Force. Obi-Wan did not like the weariness he saw in the slump of the older man's shoulders, in the bow of his back. He was the best swordsman Obi-Wan had ever seen, but he was growing old.

Beyond, the Sith Lord worked at binding up his wounds, a series of burns and slashes marked by charred tears in his dark clothing. He was backed to the edge of the chamber beyond, keeping a close watch on Qui-Gon, his red and black face intense, his yellow eyes glinting in the half light. His lightsaber rested on the floor before him. He saw Obi-Wan staring and smiled in open derision.

At that instant, the laser beams warding the service corridor went off.

Obi-Wan sprinted ahead, launching himself down the narrow passageway, lightsaber raised. Qui-Gon was on his feet as well, his own weapon flashing. He catapulted through the opening that led into the melting pit and closed with the Sith Lord, forcing him back, out of the passageway completely. Obi-Wan put on a new burst of speed, howling out at the antagonists ahead, as if by the sound of his voice he could bring them back to him.

Then he heard the buzz of the capacitors kicking in once more, cycling to reactivate the lasers. He threw himself ahead, still too far from the corridor's end. He cleared all the gates but the last, and the lasers crisscrossed before him in a deadly wall, bringing him to an abrupt stop just short of where he needed to be.

Lightsaber clutched in both hands, he stood watching helplessly as Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul battled on the narrow ledge that encircled the melting pit. A stream of electrons was all that separated him from the combatants, but it might as well have been a wall of permacrete three meters thick. Desperately he cast about for a triggering device that might shut the system down, but he had no better luck here than he'd had at the other end. He could only watch and wait and pray that Qui-Gon could hold on.

It appeared that the Jedi Master would. He had found a fresh reserve of strength during his meditation, and now he was attacking with a ferocity that seemed to have the Sith Lord stymied. With quick, hard strokes of his lightsaber, he bored into his adversary, deliberately engaging in close-quarters combat, refusing to let the other bring his double-bladed weapon to bear. He drove Darth Maul backward about the rim of the overhang, keeping the Sith Lord constantly on the defensive, pressing in on him steadily. Qui-Gon Jinn might no longer be young, but he was still powerful. Darth Maul's ragged face took on a frenzied look, and the glitter of his strange eyes brightened with uncertainty.

Good, Master, Obi-Wan thought, urging him on voicelessly, anticipating Qui-Gon's sword strokes as if they were his own.

Then Darth Maul back-flipped across the melting pit, giving himself some space in which to recover, gaining just enough time to assume a new battle stance. Qui-Gon was on him in an instant, covering the distance separating them in a rush, hammering into the Sith Lord anew. But he was beginning to weary now from carrying the battle alone. His strokes were not so vigorous as before his face bathed with sweat and taut with fatigue.

Slowly, Darth Maul began to edge his way back into the fight, becoming the aggressor once more.

Hurry! Obi-Wan hissed soundlessly, willing the lasers to pause and the gates to come down.

Stroke for stroke, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul battled about the rim of the melting pit, locked in a combat that seemed endless and forever and could be won by neither.

Then the Sith Lord parried a downstroke, whirled swiftly to the right, and with his back to the Jedi Master, made a blind, reverse lunge. Too late, Qui-Gon recognized the danger. The blade of the Sith Lord's lightsaber caught him directly in the midsection, its brilliant length burning through clothing and flesh and bone.

Obi-Wan thought he heard the Jedi Master scream, then realized it was himself, calling his friend's name in despair. Qui-Gon made no sound as the blade entered him, stiffening with the impact, then taking a small step back as it was withdrawn. He stood motionless for an instant, fighting against the shock of the killing blow. Then his eyes clouded, his arms lowered, and a great weariness settled over his proud features. He dropped to his knees, and his lightsaber clattered to the stone floor.

He was slumped forward and motionless when the lasers abruptly went off again, and Obi-Wan Kenobi, seething with rage, rushed to his rescue.

Free at last of the laser wall, Obi-Wan Kenobi charged out of the service tunnel and into the chamber that housed the melting pit. Abandoning any pretense of observing even the slightest caution, he barreled into Darth Maul with such fury that he almost knocked both of them off the ledge and into the abyss. He struck at the Sith Lord with his lightsaber as if his own safety meant nothing, lost in a red haze of rage and frustration, consumed by his grief for Qui-Gon and his failure to prevent his friend's fall.

The Sith Lord was borne backward by the Jedi Knight's initial rush, caught off guard by the other's wild assault, and pressed all the way back to the far wall of the melting pit. There he struggled to keep the young Jedi at bay, trying to open enough space between them to defend himself. Lightsabers scraped and grated against each other, and the chamber echoed with their fury. Lunging and twisting, Darth Maul regained the offensive and counterattacked, using both ends of his lightsaber in an effort to cut Obi-Wan's legs out from under him. But Obi-Wan, while not so experienced as Qui-Gon, was quicker. Anticipating each blow, he was able to elude his antagonist's efforts to bring him down.

The struggle took them around the edge of the melting pit and into the nooks and alcoves beyond, into shadowed recesses and around smoky pillars and pipe housings. Twice, Obi-Wan went down, losing his footing on the smooth flooring of the melting pit's rim. Once, Darth Maul hammered at him with such determination that he scorched the young Jedi's tunic, shoulder to waist, and it was only by countering with an upthrust counterstrike to the other's midsection and by rolling quickly away and back to his feet that Obi-Wan was able to escape.

They fought their way back toward the laser-riddled service passage, past Qui-Gon's still form, and into a tangle of vent tubes and circuit housings. Steam burst from ruptured pipes, and the air was filled with the acrid smell of scorched wiring. Darth Maul began to use his command of the Force to fling heavy objects at Obi-Wan, trying to throw him off balance, to disable him, to disrupt the flow of his attack. Obi-Wan responded in kind, and the air was filled with deadly missiles. Lightsabers flicked right and left to ward off the objects, and the clash of errant metal careening off stone walls formed an eerie shriek in the gloom.

The battle wore on, and for a time it was fought evenly. But Darth Maul was the stronger of the two and was driven by a frenzy that surpassed even the frantic determination that fueled Obi-Wan. Eventually, the Sith Lord began to wear the young Jedi down. Bit by bit, he pressed him back, carrying the attack to him, looking to catch him off guard. Obi-Wan could sense his body weakening, and his fear of what it would mean if he, too, were to fall, began to grow.

Never! he swore furiously.

Qui-Gon's words came back to him. Don't center on your fears. Concentrate on the here and now. He struggled to do so, to contain the emotions warring within and bearing him down. Be mindful of the living Force, my young Padawan. Be strong.

Sensing his opportunity slipping away from him and his strength waning, Obi-Wan mounted a final assault. He rushed the Sith Lord with a series of side blows designed to bring the two-bladed lightsaber horizontal. Then he feinted an attack to his enemy's left and brought his own lightsaber over and down with such force that he severed the other's weapon.

Crying out in fury, he cut triumphantly at the Sith Lord's horned head, a killing blow. And missed completely.

Darth Maul, anticipating the maneuver, had stepped smoothly away. Discarding the lesser half of his severed weapon, he counterattacked swiftly, striking at Obi-Wan with enough force that he knocked the young Jedi sideways and off balance. Quickly he struck him again, harder still, and this time Obi-Wan lost his footing completely and tumbled over the edge of the pit, his lightsaber flying from his hand. For an instant, he was falling, tumbling away into the dark. He reached out in desperation and caught hold of a metal rung just below the lip of the pit.

There he hung, helpless, staring up at a triumphant Darth Maul.

The Phantom Menace

Maul orchestrated the his duel with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, and his skills threatened to eclipse both of theirs collectively.

Maul appeared able to orchestrate the fight in a no-holds-barred struggle to the death. Supple and quick, he fought with a confidence and ease that threatened to eclipse the skills of the two Jedi.

Star Wars Fact File 001

And here is an excerpt from Maul's personal journal which Sidious created, including the latter's personal account of Maul's skill and the fight.

The battle began in the hanger. Darth Maul activated his double-ended lightsaber, a weapon he fashioned himself under my supervision. In his hands this weapon was flawless - or so I thought.

He made the Jedi run. They had to use everything they knew and more to meet his skill. They went at him, two on one, and they could not defeat him. No doubt Maul used his formidable dark power to blunt their use of the Force.

Another skill-related excerpt from Sidious.

The battle with Qui-Gon ended with a simple move, a trick: Using the hilt of a lightsaber to knock an opponent under the chin. Maul usually disdained such blunt maneuvers. He is - was - and elegant fighter. Precise. But when he saw his opening, no doubt he remembered my lesson.

A blow to Qui-Gon's chin left him dazed.

Push your advantage always.

Darth Plagueis praises Maul's skill in Jar'kai and Teras Kasi, as well as his speed.

No Caption Provided

Force Powers

I'm not sure what to call this power, but, I digress. Akin to Mace Windu's ability to draw on an opponents fury to strengthen himself, Darth Maul appeared to do this to Obi-Wan Kenobi during their duel at Theed, whilst Kenobi was drawing heavily on the Dark Side.

Telekinesis

Utilizing telekinesis in conjunction with lightsaber combat and Teras Kasi vs Darsha Assant.

The Sith apprentice launched a simultaneous attack, using the Force to throw a rusty power-wrench and a bucket of old fasteners from a worktable at her as he launched himself forward, lightsaber dancing a variant of a teräs käsi Death Weave.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Force choke.

No Caption Provided

Uses a telekinetic lightsaber throw while leaping from a speeder.

One speeder bike was ahead of the other. Maul deactivated one of his lightsaber’s blades and hurled it toward the first of the oncoming speeders like a spear. It pierced the officer’s armored chest while the Sith, again assisted by the Force, jumped from the descending PCBU toward the other officer. By the time he had landed on the speeder his lightsaber had rejoined him..

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Shatters a door inward.

Darth Maul pulled his double lightsaber from his belt and held his thumb upon the ignition button. He took a deep breath and centered himself in the swirls and eddies of the dark side. Then, his power and concentration thus augmented, he thrust forward his free hand as though hurling an invisible ball.

The door shattered inward.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

I credit the following quotes to Silver. I overlooked them and managed to find quotations of them, from him.

Hurls bystanders out of the way, and then later uses the Force as a battering ram to further hurl them in order to pass through the crowd quickly.

Maul deactivated both blades. He reached out with his free hand, and the holocron leapt from the dead Hutt's grasp into his own. Stuffing it into a belt compartment, he turned and ran from the room. At the top of the stairs he plunged recklessly through the gambling chamber, hurling guests and workers aside with savage Force-laden gestures.

He reached the street and paused, looking first one way, then another for his prey. Pavan and the droid were not in sight. Maul gritted his teeth. They would not be permitted to slip away again! One way or another, he was determined to end this chore. It had already gone on far too long.

He sought the dark side once more, bade it illuminate the path his quarry had taken. Then he began to move, shoving his way through the hapless press of street people. Though his appearance alone was enough to cause most of the hard cases on the street to give him a wide berth, his progress was still too slow. Enough of this! Maul thought. He unleashed the dark side, using the Force like a battering ram against those who got in his way.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Moves a large boulder eight or so meters, without gesturing or looking at it.

On Railtiir, at the site of what had only recently been the Bartokks' fortress, Darth Maul used the Force to lift a heavy boulder from a pile of rubble. Maul had used the Sith Infiltrator's sensors to scan the fortress ruins for any sign of C-3PX. The sensors penetrated deep below the collapsed floors and fallen walls, searching for any trace of metal that might belong to the golden assassin droid. Now, Maul found himself sifting through the area of what had been a chamber near the fortress's dungeon. Maul did not watch the boulder as it levitated away through the air, and he ignored the loud thud, eight meters away, that sounded as he released the boulder from his power.

Force Lightning

Maul doesn't use force lightning, but he understands it and is able to resist it.

Force Scream

At the age of fifteen, after becoming highly aggravated from a sparring match, Maul only barely manages to hold in a Force Scream which would bring a barracks at the Orsis Academy down around him.

Its circuitous innards exposed, the combat vibroblade rested on a low table, alongside a small tool kit. Electrodriver in hand, Maul was working feverishly on the knife’s ultrasonic vibration generator, intent on overriding the built-in arrestor to supply the blade with greater slashing power. If he wasn’t permitted to use the Force, then he would use everything short of it to satisfy the rage inside him; to gut every living thing he encountered during the coming Gora solo. Bathe in the blood he would shed, feast on warm flesh… Merely imagining it set his fingers trembling, and abruptly the tool slipped from its tenuous hold in the socket and stabbed deeply into the palm of his opposite hand, opening a small wound and bursting the dam of his pent-up emotion. Maul’s clenched right hand slammed down on the table, shattering its surface, and the vibroblade took flight, nearly impaling itself in his head. Straightening, he bared his filed teeth and tensed his body, close to loosing a scream that would have brought the barracks down around him.

Restraint

Telepathy

A telepath goes into a coma when trying to probe Mauls mind.

Maul probes the minds of two beings for specific information about a crystal.

He stayed in the hallway and listened to what scraps of conversation he could. He heard no mention of a holocron being found. Carefully he probed and prodded first the Mrlssi’s mind, then the Sullustan’s, and detected nothing about the crystal in their thoughts.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Maul was clouding Obi-Wan Kenobi's mind during their fight on Naboo, making him harder to counter.

(Credit to ShootingNova for this one)

Obi-Wan had never been in such a lightsaber battle before. So this is a Sith Lord, he thought fleetingly as he dodged and leaped. It was taking every skill he knew just to stay alive. The Sith Lord seemed to cloud Obi-Wan's use of the Force, making it harder to sense his opponent's moves and counter them in time.

The Phantom Menace Junior Novelisation

This is especially impressive because all Force sensitive beings have inherent telepathic defence shields which will attempt to forcefully purge an invading presence from the mind.

Read right to left.

As an adept telepath, Maul is capable of anticipating the next move an opponent will make because of involuntary mental telegraphs fighters make in the midst of battle, as described by Saesee Tiin:

Read right to left.

Mind Tricks

Maul is able to use mind tricks in order to make people lose interest in him, making him essentially invisible.

As Darth Maul slipped into the rathole called the Dewback Inn, he kept his cowl up and moved to the darkest corner. When one of the weak minds surrounding him caused its owner to idly cast a glance in his direction, he used the Force to squelch or redirect that interest. As always when he wished it in such dens of mental weakness, he was effectively invisible.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Maul can use the force as a lie detector.

Maul nodded, then raised his right hand in a focusing gesture as he mentally reached for the Force. He had to make sure that this next question was answered truthfully, because the answer would determine whether or not he had to kill the Baragwin. “Did the Neimoidian speak at all to you about the nature of the information he wished to sell?” The dewlaps quickly undulated downward. “He did not. I have told you all that I know.” Maul sensed no negative vibration in the Force as the Baragwin spoke. He turned away without another word and exited the tavern.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Force Healing

Maul can heal from extensive bruising caused by low-impact blaster bolts, which he received during training.

In the training camp's headquarters astride the turbulent sea, Trezza inspected the burns that covered Maul's torso, which like his head and face was marked by esoteric black and red sigils.

"These require treatment."

Trezza summoned a medical droid forward, but Maul shoved it away with his feet.

"Not from bacta," he snarled. "I'll heal myself."

"And revel in the pain."

"There is no pain."

"So you've said."

Restraint

Within twelve hours, Maul had almost fully recovered from the injuries he had sustained from fighting a wampa, which included his muscle tissue being raked by a claw, blunt force trauma, and crucial nerve bundles being bitten into.

Maul was waiting just inside the cell when the Twi'lek came back from the mess hall, hiding in the shadows to the right of the hatchway. At the sound of approaching footsteps, he stepped into view.

For a moment Zero just stared at him. To his credit, he didn't bother trying to run. He didn't even look particularly surprised.

"Jagannath," he said. "You're looking surprisingly well, all things considered."

Maul said nothing. In the twelve hours since his last fight, he'd recovered almost completely from the wounds that the Wampa had inflicted on him. His face still bore the blood-encrusted slash marks from its claws, but he'd regained full use of his arm, and his strength actually seemed to have intensified in response to the attack, like an organism that had thrived from being pruned down close to the taproot.

Force Concealment

Maul conceals his presence in the Force from Darsha Assant.

Maul quickly faded back into the shadows of the underground thorough fare and watched them pass. Both matched the descriptions he had been given by the Baragwin bartender. Excellent. With any luck, they would lead him to his prey. He followed them at a safe distance, making use of shadows and concealment when it was available and trusting to the cloaking power of the Force when it was not.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Maul appeared to have concealed his presence in the Force from Qui-Gon Jinn prior to their duel on Tattooine, as well as to Kenobi who only became aware his presence from a verbal warning, even despite Maul being in the middle of a duel.

Cloaking

Maul cloaks himself and walks past a guard with ridiculous ease.

Maul kept his cowl up and his lightsaber clipped as he reentered the building. Fortunately there was a human officer at the checkpoint , asking those coming and going to state their business. It was ridiculously easy for Maul to cloak himself in the Force and thus slip by the dim-witted fellow.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Force Awareness and Danger Sense

Maul uses the dark side to find out that there are four beings behind a wall. He also learns, through the ripples of the force, that two of them have violent intentions, which allows him to work out that they are guards.

Finding the Neimoidian was child’s play for Maul. Walls could not stop the dark questing fingers of the Force. When he arrived at the correct domicile, he sensed that there were four beings behind the door. Monchar, of course, and the bodyguard he had seen accompanying him. The dull ripples of the other two rumbled with suppressed violence. More guards, no doubt.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

The force alerts Maul to a bounty hunter who is following him, despite the fact she is out of visible range and couldn't be heard from this distance. However, because she does not have violent intentions Maul dismisses her presence.

As he surveilled the Neimoidian and his guard, however, Maul felt a small prickling of something—not real danger, but a kind of disquiet— touch his awareness. He looked about and listened carefully, but did not see any cause for this. He expanded his consciousness, let the dark currents of the Force extend outward from him— and became aware of another presence behind him, hidden from normal sight and hearing. Probably just another of the many predators in this dreary place, looking for prey. Now that he was aware of the presence, Maul dismissed it. He felt no real concentrations of the Force emanating from the hidden watcher, and thus whoever he was and whatever his reasons for being here, he did not pose a threat.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Maul's force awareness is so advanced that he can sense things behind him so well he may aswell have eyes in the back of his head. (this type of awareness was shown earlier when Maul redirected a blaster bolt after it had been fired from behind, while fighting a Dark Jedi, with ease)

Two of the droids— Rapier and Chain, he silently named them— were within his field of vision. The other two— Cudgel and Hachete— were not, being behind him. It did not matter; through his awareness of the Force he could sense their movements as plainly as if he had eyes in the back of his head.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Maul can sense the exact location of Meltch Krakko and two students at the Orsis academy, despite their near-invisibility, and could have been dodging all of their blaster fire had he not had to hide his Force sensitivity from them. He would then go on to shoot the three camoflagued targets without missing once.

Running fast along the volcanic mountain slope on Orsis, Maul gnashed his teeth as another low-energy blaster bolt tore through the thin fabric of his utility suit and slammed into his back. He ignored the pain and kept running. His pursuers were Meltch Krakko and the two Rodian cadets, Hubnutz and Fretch, and the goal of their exercise was to capture Maul. Krakko and the Rodians were wearing mimetic suits, energy-powered cloaks that allowed for almost perfect camouflage in any environment.

Maul approached the rim of the mountain's valley, where glacial water and wind had carved a maze of tall, rocky formations. He darted into the labyrinth, never pausing to catch his breath. More blaster bolts zinged past his body. If his pursuers' blasters had been set to kill, he would have been dead already, a fact that infuriated him. But because Sidious and Trezza had forbidden him from revealing his Force powers to Orsis faculty and cadets, he was obliged to let his pursuers shoot him occasionally. If he'd dodged every blaster bolt, they would have ample reason to suspect he was a Force user.

Without glancing back, he drew his own blaster, which was also set at nonlethal power, and returned fire. He felt his rage increase as he deliberately missed his attackers. Although their mimetic suits rendered Krakko and the Roadians practically invisible, Maul had no difficulty sensing their exact positions behind him. He could have shot at each one of them with his eyes closed, but that would have been against the rules that Sidious and Trezza had established.

Maul was done with restraining his powers, and pretending to be something he wasn't. Summoning the Force, he launched himself from the overhang and sailed up and out of the chasm. He somersaulted and twisted in midair, flipping his body over the three camouflaged hunters so that he landed on his feet, facing their backs. Startled, Krakko and the Rodians turned fast. Maul had already drawn his blaster and opened fire at them at point-blank range. Krakko grunted and the Rodians cried out in pain as the blaster bolts hit them. They jumped and rolled away from the chasm's edge, firing back at Maul. For a moment, they moved as if their mimetic suits still gave them an advantage over their prey. Maul used the Force to avoid being hit while he rapidly squeezed and released his blaster's trigger, moving his arm back and forth to aim and fire at each of his cringing targets. He didn't miss once.

The Wrath of Darth Maul
Credit to Silver for typing out this quote

Stealth and Espionage

Maul was obviously extremely stealthy. He had to be. If anyone found out that the Sith had returned before he was to reveal himself during the Naboo crisis, the Grand Plan of the Sith would be in huge jeopardy! So, let's get to it.

Maul, after killing several guards, moves so quietly that nobody else on the ship can even hear him.

I pause just outside the opening to the bridge. I have moved so quietly that no one has heard my approach. When I'm in attack mode, I am nothing more than a shadow.

Sneaks into the main bridge of a ship, and cuts someone in half from the crotch up before anyone was even aware of his presence.

I am in the room and have dispatched the first target before the others are even aware of my presence. He goes down without a cry, the victim of a ceiling-to-floor sweep from my lightsaber that cut him in two.

Maul entered Sidious' lair so quietly Sidious couldn't hear him.

Darth Sidious stood on his balcony, watching a thin, pink cloud drift slowly across the sky until it vanished behind a distant tower. Concealed by his black robes, the Sith Lord's face was lost in shadow. He watched as the cloud reappeared on the other side of the obscuring tower. Its color had changed to a deep bloodred.Although Darth Sidious did not hear anyone enter his secret lair, he sensed a great malevolence flow into the room. From behind him, a deep voice spoke, "What is thy bidding, my Master?"

Maul was especially stealthy even in his early teen years. Here, he noiselessly assassinates everyone in the Orsis academy - cadets, instructors, the head of operations and even a Mandalorian Bounty Hunter, with complete ease.

He moved quickly and quietly through the courtyards and buildings. First, he killed the Academy's sentries, and then the security guards posted outside the training rooms and barracks. He used the force when it was most efficient, and his bare hands whenever it pleased him. Knowing that most of the cadets would be asleep in the barracks, he went noiselessly from one darkened room to the next, leaving a trail of death.

Not every cadet was sleeping. Maul found a group of older cadets practicing martial arts in a training room. He locked the doors, switched off the lights, and moved through the group like a furious beast of prey.

Covered in blood, he proceeded to the building where the instructors had their own quarters.

Approaching the door to Trezza's office, he heard voices inside. He recognized the voices. Kilindi and Trezza. Kilindi was demanding that Trezza explain why Maul had not returned from the Gora. She sounded worried and angry. But as far as Maul was concerned, she was talking about someone else, someone he didn't know.

Maul opened the door and stepped into the office. Trezza was seated behind his massive desk. Kilindi stood before him. And Meltch Krakko stood on the far side of the room, near an open fireplace.

Kilindi gasped at the sight of Maul's blood-soaked body. Maul fixed his gaze on Krakko and walked straight toward him. Even though Maul was not carrying any weapons, Krakko drew his blaster and fired at him. Maul jerked his body to the left, dodged the blaster bolt, and kept walking toward Krakko. Krakko fired two more shots. Maul dodged those too before he grabbed Krakko's gun arm with one hand, and his neck with the other. Krakko sputtered angrily. What Maul did next made Trezza gasp and Kilindi cover her mouth with her hands.

Maul kept his eyes on Trezza as he hurled Krakko's lifeless body into the fireplace.

Remember I showed you Maul essentially destroying the entire Black Sun single handedly? Well, here's what he does to one of their space stations after infiltrating it and killing everyone inside.

Maul uses "Dark Eye Probes" to scan the entire Black Sun fortress, showing him exactly who is inside.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

>Click here to be redirected to my list of respect threads.<

#2 Edited by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome Art (Large pictures ahead, prepare for lag)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Maul's sweet ride - The Infiltrator
Maul's sweet ride - The Infiltrator
Laser cannons, check. Cloaking system, check. Stealth tracking equipment, check. Speeder, check.
Laser cannons, check. Cloaking system, check. Stealth tracking equipment, check. Speeder, check.
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#3 Posted by hart7668 (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

Duuuuude. Epiiiic.

Obj-Wan is either a beast or jobbed Maul in the first movie cuz...damn.

#4 Posted by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking fine.

@hart7668 said:

Duuuuude. Epiiiic.

Obi-Wan cheap-shotted him. Kenobi had to draw on the dark side and still lost to Maul.

#5 Posted by hart7668 (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

@shootingnova: Draw on the dark side? Just cuz he cut him in half? Still lost? When?

#6 Posted by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668: He drew on the dark side briefly after Qui-Gon died, and he still lost to Maul. Kenobi only "won" by cheap-shotting Maul at the end.

#7 Edited by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668: @shootingnova Thanks guys.

@shootingnova said:

@hart7668: He drew on the dark side briefly after Qui-Gon died, and he still lost to Maul. Kenobi only "won" by cheap-shotting Maul at the end.

Kenobi won because Lucas literally has no idea what to do with Maul. He's gradually killing him as a character.

#8 Edited by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@shootingnova:

> Can fashion himself up mechanical spider legs from junk metal, after being cut in half and plummeting hundreds of feet

> Can't cut his horns once in a while

#12 Edited by JakeN7 (15180 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: Spider-Maul's better than no Maul. Would you rather him be half a corpse at the end of a giant...well (I have no clue what that thing was)?

#13 Posted by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

@i_like_swords: Spider-Maul's better than no Maul. Would you rather him be half a corpse at the end of a giant...well (I have no clue what that thing was)?

A walking stick would have sufficed.

#15 Edited by JakeN7 (15180 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

A walking stick would have sufficed.

More like a dragging stick #amirite?

But yeah, a little too Yoda-like in my opinion. Although it would have been badass.

#16 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: I wish he just hadn't been "killed" in the first place. There could have been so many brilliant spin-off novels and comics during the 10 years Maul was out of commission. 10 years wasted.

#17 Posted by JakeN7 (15180 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: I wish he just hadn't been "killed" in the first place. There could have been so many brilliant spin-off novels and comics during the 10 years Maul was out of commission. 10 years wasted.

That's totally true. It was an epic battle, and the kid watching TPM cheered like an idiot when Obi-Wan sliced his sh*t, but Maul could have been so much more. Clone Wars was a bit of a saving grace, but he still deserved better. This thread's a great idea because it's still so hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that Maul was an extremely powerful Sith Lord. He just jobbed so hard...

#18 Posted by DarthAznable (16928 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668 said:

Duuuuude. Epiiiic.

Same way Broly lost. Cop out to make the hero win.

#19 Edited by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

@i_like_swords said:

That's totally true. It was an epic battle, and the kid watching TPM cheered like an idiot when Obi-Wan sliced his sh*t, but Maul could have been so much more. Clone Wars was a bit of a saving grace, but he still deserved better. This thread's a great idea because it's still so hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that Maul was an extremely powerful Sith Lord. He just jobbed so hard...

Maul should by all rights become one of the most powerful Sith in history. The amount of discipline and dedication he has for the dark side and for gaining power makes it seem like everyone else is sitting around doing nothing. He's waited 10 years for his chance to get out and take over the galaxy, 10 years completely fueled by hatred for Obi-Wan and the Jedi. If he, after everything he went through during his training, during his time in Cog Hive Seven and during the 10 years after Phantom Menace, doesn't do something memorable or become seriously powerful in the dark side, I'll be disappointed.

#20 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump. Every section now has a good amount of feats. I will be including the finer details of his fight against Qui Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan once I pick up the novel and comic adaptation of The Phantom Menace, as well as other feats as I read them. After I'm completely happy that I've included all of TPM Maul's best feats I'll be moving onto Clone Wars Maul, so stay tuned for that.

If you notice anything I'm missing and want to add something, post it here or send it to me in a PM. You will be fully credited in the OP. Cheers.

#21 Edited by DarthAnt66 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Excellent thread, but don't forget this fight. ;)

#22 Posted by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthant66: Technically, Maul lost that fight and had to use a cheap-shotting method to win.

#23 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: While Maul's physical feats are his most impressive ones, you could always add his usages of esoteric Force powers such as Mechu-deru.

#25 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@shootingnova: True. Only thing is the only one I have access to is one where he states he is capable of using the equivalent of a mind trick on droids. I might add it in later on. But this thread is largely done save for a couple things I'm gonna throw in.

#26 Posted by JasonHawke (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

But... but.... Everything related to the Prequels are bad~!

#27 Edited by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn@deranged_midget Is there any way my latest edit on the respect thread an be undone? As you can see I messed up the OP by trying to edit it on my phone. Can it go back to normal or do I have to do this manually?

Thanks in advance.

#28 Posted by God_Spawn (43087 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Penderor (5561 posts) - - Show Bio

It is maybe sad but he is not only wasted character in SW. Qui-Gon for example.

#30 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@penderor: How is he a wasted character? He's got loads of his own novels and comics, was in TCW, and is getting his own follow up mini-series in the next few months?

#31 Posted by Erkan12 (8391 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Edited by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@erkan12: Ah, thanks. I read the plot summary.. seems like a low showing more than anything to be honest.

#33 Posted by SavageDragon (2257 posts) - - Show Bio

@penderor: How is he a wasted character? He's got loads of his own novels and comics, was in TCW, and is getting his own follow up mini-series in the next few months?

I would say people believe that he was wasted is because his expanded universe stuff isn't really well known at all even for star wars fans. He appeared. Said two lines, fought and died in prolly less than an hour of screen time. Most people see him as badass but he was under utilized. Star Wars is a pop culture juggernaut and Darth Maul unfortunately is a awesome but tiny portion of the film cannon. Also I didn't know he had "loads" of novels. I read shadow hunter back in middle school and it was a good read but what are his other books? I personally believe he should have survived and replaced Dooku and continued in at least one more film. I have seen a few incarnations of what he looks like post Phantom Menace and somtimes he had robot inverted legs? Whats up with that? I really share the opinion that he was a underutilized and kinda wasted in the worst star wars film of the series. Awsome charachter visually but most fans see him as a grimacing red guy with a double bladed lightsaber who dies, because all he was made out to be is a mysterious, skilled enigma and he could have been much more to the film saga.

#34 Edited by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@savagedragon: Off the top of my head..

• Star Wars: Maul: Lockdown.
  • End Game.
  • Restraint.
  • Shadow Hunter.
  • Episode I Journals: Darth Maul
  • Darth Maul Shadow Conspiracy
  • The Wrath of Darth Maul

And that's just novels and short stories.. he's featured in quite a few comics aswell like Death Sentence, The Sith Hunters, Star Wars: Darth Maul and more. If you go on his wookiepedia page then go down to appearances you'll get a full list of his EU appearances.

He isn't really underutilized, people just don't read his stuff.

Edit: About his robot legs.. he got them from Mother Talzin during TCW cartoon after his brother, Savage Opress, found him and brought him back to Dathomir. He eventually lost those legs aswell and had them replaced by prosthetic legs, returning him to his normal size.

#35 Posted by Erkan12 (8391 posts) - - Show Bio

@erkan12: Ah, thanks. I read the plot summary.. seems like a low showing more than anything to be honest.

He slaughtered jedi master and renowned warrior Siolo'urmanka (Sidious ordering to the do so I believe the Jedi should be strong), and Maul showed his wits against him, imo it was good for Maul's features.

#36 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@erkan12 said:

@i_like_swords said:

He slaughtered jedi master and renowned warrior Siolo'urmanka (Sidious ordering to the do so I believe the Jedi should be strong), and Maul showed his wits against him, imo it was good for Maul's features.

He tried to sneak up on him and got owned by him with a staff, then came back later and backstabbed him. Not the best showing.

#37 Edited by SavageDragon (2257 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords said:

@savagedragon: Off the top of my head..

• Star Wars: Maul: Lockdown.
  • End Game.
  • Restraint.
  • Shadow Hunter.
  • Episode I Journals: Darth Maul
  • Darth Maul Shadow Conspiracy
  • The Wrath of Darth Maul

And that's just novels and short stories.. he's featured in quite a few comics aswell like Death Sentence, The Sith Hunters, Star Wars: Darth Maul and more. If you go on his wookiepedia page then go down to appearances you'll get a full list of his EU appearances.

He isn't really underutilized, people just don't read his stuff.

Edit: About his robot legs.. he got them from Mother Talzin during TCW cartoon after his brother, Savage Opress, found him and brought him back to Dathomir. He eventually lost those legs aswell and had them replaced by prosthetic legs, returning him to his normal size.

Edit: Thats cool that people have flushed him out as a character. After looking them all up I believe Shadow Hunter and Lockdown are the only two full length novels about Darth Maul but still thats really cool.

But what I think you are not understanding when people think he was underutilized is that he originated in the films.. so he was underutilized in the cannon and no one can change that with books or comics. Like any character that dies in a film can have a whole back story and in sci fi/fanatsy you can have them "not die at all" and bring them back to make more cool stories in other media but in the films which is the cannon, he still is a blip on the radar and not much more. His biggest impact is that he alerts the jedi of sith and he kills Qui- Gonn but he could have been much more. Thats what people mean when they say hes underutilized. For example Its like Mara Jade, she was never in the films but is a really important character in the expanded universe so no one can say they blew it on her story or underutilized her because her whole existence is in books and comics. The direction of Darth Maul makes the viewer want to know more about him but since his whole purpose was to remain in the shadows as a mystery and then fight and die, the viewer doesn't get to know squat about him in source material (films) and he stil remains a badass like Boba Fett. So im not trying to argue but it is a legitimate criticism to say that in the Phantom Menace Darth Maul was a poorly handled villain. In essence they failed to to utilize him fully.

#38 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@savagedragon: I totally agree, as a Maul fan, that he should of been used more in the films. Although him "dying" in TPM does nicely set up his return and plan for revenge during the clone wars.

Also, you said a few times that "the films are canon". Which is true, but, they are no longer the only canon, nor are they more important than any other canon. Disney introduced a new canon system which puts all forms of licensed Star Wars media on the same level of canon. So really, in terms of Star Wars as a whole, he is quite well utilized as he has a lot of comics and novels centered around him, has his whole backstory fleshed out, and is still having his story continued in upcoming comics where he is meant to be fighting Count Dooku.

So in terms of all canon, he isn't under-utilized. But in terms of films alone, I'd say he was. But it doesn't bother me too much because now thanks to Disney the EU is just as canon as the films, and Maul is still being featured in comics, novels, cartoons and more.

Btw, Lockdown and Shadow Hunter aren't the only full length novels he's featured in. He has a relatively new novel that was released in hardback which is basically his life story, from birth up until TCW, fully documented. And there was a novelization of his episodes during TCW cartoon. Both of which are very decent reads.

#39 Posted by SavageDragon (2257 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: I will have to check that out, sounds like an interesting book. One question tho I have heard conflicting reports of Disney and the STar Wars EU. The new trilogy has been confirmed for taking place post Return of the Jedi, so it will effectivley wipe out some EU continuity like Truce at Bakurra, Dark Star, possibly Heir to the Empire series. I feel like anything pre Episode 4 is safe but half of the the EU takes place post Jedi. Like I said there is conflicting reports with some stating that the EU is now Disneys to decide what to do with and what to say is bs. Not liek it matters to me really because I just love good stories. But for example there past views state

We have what we call Canon, which is the screenplays, novelizations, and other works that are directly tied into continuity, and then there are a lot of marginal things, like the old Marvel Comics series, that we don't really try to work into the continuity when we're planning new projects. Even the LucasArts interactive games have a premise, a backstory with player characters that we're trying to tie into the overall continuity. It is sort of a godlike undertaking. We are creating this universe as we go along, but somebody has to keep his finger on everything that came before.

Lucasfilm's then-continuity editor[1] Allan Kausch,

and more recent news:

Word began trickling out over Twitter last week that Disney will be drastically redefining the state of the Star Wars lore, eliminating the bifurcated mainline/EU arrangement and in its place constructing a single official canon. All things that are part of the canon are "real," as far as Star Wars is concerned; all things not in the canon are "not real." This eliminates the quasi-real EU tier—going forward, things will either exist officially, or not at all.

Lucasfilm employee Leland Chee, who currently maintains the internal Lucasfilm database that tracks the different elements of the canon, will be one of the folks making this decision. He tweeted that "Star Wars Canon is now determined by the Lucasfilm Story Group," which he and fellow Lucasfilm employee Pablo Hidalgo are part of. When asked specifically whether the group's goal was to eliminate the mainline/EU canon arrangement and its tiers of official-ness, Chee responded with a definitive yes. "More so than ever," he said, "the canon field will serve us internally simply for classification rather than setting hierarchy."

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/01/op-ed-disney-takes-a-chainsaw-to-the-star-wars-expanded-universe/

#40 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@savagedragon: Thanks man, I never read the actual sources but you've now filled me in. In any case, I think they're taking the EU in a good direction. However, if they butcher the post-ROTJ EU I know a lot of people who won't be happy.

#41 Edited by Erkan12 (8391 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this one ;

One Truth ;

Loading Video...

Fear. Fear attracts the fearful… the strong… the weak… the innocent… the corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally.

@i_like_swords said:

@erkan12 said:

@i_like_swords said:

He tried to sneak up on him and got owned by him with a staff, then came back later and backstabbed him. Not the best showing.

I know, but most people thinking as Maul is just a mindless beast and can't use his wits, for proving otherwise that was good showing imo.

And remember the first Qui-Gon battle,

No Caption Provided

TPM Maul was using only one edge of his lightsaber, I am thinking that when the time come he could use other side of his lightsaber as a surprise factor just like he did to Siolo'urmanka.

Though when he faced more than one enemy TPM Maul prefer to use double side, like against Black Sun and Qui-Gon + Obi-Wan team up.

#42 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@erkan12: Better examples of Maul using his wits is when he led Qui Gon and Obi Wan into an open playing field, separated them, and beat them individually using the environment. Or the time he took a rabble of ill-equipped barbarians with spears and turned them into a legitimate fighting force in under a day, capable of taking down an army of 400 fully equipped soldiers. Or when he near enough single handedly devised the plan to take down the New Mandalorians by forming a large crime-syndicate army. He has more tactical feats but those are some of his best ones in my opinion.

#43 Edited by Erkan12 (8391 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: Agree, separating them was witty either.

Also these can be add to TPM Maul's force abilities as well,

Defeating full raged / amped Obi-Wan with an force attack.

No Caption Provided

And also these, from Marked...

Durability, Force Combat and TK

TPM Maul used the force to overload the dampening field. And before that he throwed force sensitive Drovian Silus with TK.

#44 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

Just bumping this to share the knowledge that Maul was doing one armed push ups and killing venemous snakes with his bare hands when he was three years old.

Three. Years. Old.

Quotes will be coming soon.

"Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul" is absolutely essential reading if you're a Maul fan, and is the best way to learn about him if you've never tried his EU stuff. Great book.

#45 Posted by sinestro_GL (3651 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: By the way, it's Komari Vosa, not Korami Vosa.

And here's a decent telepathy/skill feat for TPM Maul:

Obi-Wan had never been in such a lightsaber battle before. So this is a Sith Lord, he thought fleetingly as he dodged and leaped. It was taking every skill he knew just to stay alive. The Sith Lord seemed to cloud Obi-Wan's use of the Force, making it harder to sense his opponent's moves and counter them in time.

Source: The Phantom Menace Junior Novelization
#48 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio

@shootingnova: I swear I'm dyslexic xD (no offence to you dyslexic's out there, who may be viewing).

Ah, I was going to just leave out that feat seeing as I couldn't bear reading another write up of Maul's actions on Naboo. Seriously.. but thanks, now I have it and I didn't even have to read anything TPM related! xD

#49 Posted by Whirlwind_33 (1618 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice thread

#50 Posted by i_like_swords (26201 posts) - - Show Bio