Cyborg's cancellation and subsequently becoming the leader of Justice League

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I understand that Justice League is lacking in diversity, so they want to include a Black character for token representation, but Cyborg doesn't seem to work out . Cyborg has been given 2 years and over 20 issues, but his sales keeps dropping, and now it's around 9000, worse than a lot of indie comics. His lukewarm reception in the Justice League movie, his history got changed to Justice League, the big boy, instead of other teams like Titans and Teen Titans. I don't know what they can do at this point, his series doesn't sell. Is it because of his lack of iconic villains? Is it because of writers? At 2 years and over 20 issues, there has to be problems with so much pushes for him and nothing stick. I don't think Cyborg will ever be a big breakout star. The whole thing just doesn't seem organic. Harley Quinn becomes big wasn't because she was pushed constantly. She got pushed after she found her footing. I don't think Cyborg fits with the Justice League, I prefer him better with Teen Titans or Titans. I just hope they move away from Cyborg as part of the Justice League, and if they want a token minority character, they should try it with another character because the current Cyborg apparently doesn't work.

Kingnemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes more sense than Batman actually being in the justice league

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring back Martain Manhunter, I swear who voted his spot to be taken by Cyborg.

DC just doesn't want a guy who can beat Superman on the main roster

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

Cyborg is one of the lamest DC heros. I'm sorry but I can't contain it. If they were trying to push a Black character then why NOT Static or John Stewart who people actually like??? Both Black and non-Black?

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingnemo said:

Someone's gotta pay the bills, and it ain't gonna be farmer boy or Amazon woman.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyborg should be bigger than the titans. He didn't grow with them he stagnated into the character he is today.

The reason he doesn't sell is because he has no good villains besides the grid , has no super powered family beaodrs the JL and is stuck with the same "Man or machine" story every single time he gets a character arc

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By poeticwarrior

Cyborg is one of the lamest DC heros. I'm sorry but I can't contain it. If they were trying to push a Black character then why NOT Static or John Stewart who people actually like??? Both Black and non-Black?

How popular is Static Shock? Could he hold a solo? I actually don't know anything about Static Shock, but he gets mentions sometimes on here by a few hardcore fans. DC doesn't seem to use him very often, either in cartoon or video games like Cyborg in Injustice and Teen Titan, movies like Justice League. I don't know why they're trying so hard to make Cyborg a thing, they have a lot of other Black characters, if Cyborg doesn't work out, they could try others like Jon Stewart. It doesn't even have to be a guy, they could push someone like Vixen. At this point, I think the only thing that hold Cyborg is the new movie. Cyborg will have another series soon before his movie. I can guarantee it that much. As the appeal of comic book movies is that they're comic book, so it could be a big cross promotion for them.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

Cyborg should be bigger than the titans. He didn't grow with them he stagnated into the character he is today.

The reason he doesn't sell is because he has no good villains besides the grid , has no super powered family beaodrs the JL and is stuck with the same "Man or machine" story every single time he gets a character arc

Are villains the only thing? Harley Quinn doesn't have any iconic villain, she hangs out with Poison Ivy sometimes, but she doesn't have any iconic rogue gallery, but it doesn't stop her comics from selling like hot cakes. Cyborg is suffering from identity crisis. In some incarnations, he's the happy go lucky guy, but some others like his book, he's gloomy and edgy. His story focuses too much on him being a machine, and I don't think people can identify with it. If his movie is all about him questioning his identity, I think it will be a flop.

When Cyborg is mentioned, do people think of Justice League first or Titans (as well as Teen Titans) first? Why should he be bigger than the Titans? What makes his characters essential for a Justice League book and a solo book? He hasn't really differentiated his niche with other Superheroes. Reading various forum, people find him boring, which is a very common reply. Why is he "boring"? DC really needs to examine the character and may need to reinvent him if they want him to be an A list star like Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poeticwarrior: Harley is the female Deadpool pretty much not to mention her connection to Batman and the Joker plus she is a villain herself so she doesn't really need to fight them

Cyborg is connected to the motherbox he could go on fun adventures with the new gods or at least have am arc or 2 with them in it

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@poeticwarrior said:
@king_stranglehold_da_first said:

How popular is Static Shock? Could he hold a solo? I actually don't know anything about Static Shock, but he gets mentions sometimes on here by a few hardcore fans. DC doesn't seem to use him very often, either in cartoon or video games like Cyborg in Injustice and Teen Titan, movies like Justice League. I don't know why they're trying so hard to make Cyborg a thing, they have a lot of other Black characters, if Cyborg doesn't work out, they could try others like Jon Stewart. It doesn't even have to be a guy, they could push someone like Vixen. At this point, I think the only thing that hold Cyborg is the new movie. Cyborg will have another series soon before his movie. I can guarantee it that much. As the appeal of comic book movies is that they're comic book, so it could be a big cross promotion for them.

Static is quite popular, especially among Black comicbook readers.

DC neglects Static and their milestone characters for some strange reason. But anyways Static UNLIKE Cyborg has a very SOLID Black and non-Black fanbase that can organically push the character to new heights. More importantly Static had a very good and success TV animated series(if you don't know much about him I SUGGEST you watch the show very good), that gathered him more fans. Static was essentially the Spider-Man of DC and in the show many other DC characters respected him from Batman, John Stewart, Superman and the JL. DC can easily replicate that success for his comics but I don't care for him in terms of comics. He can easily be their Miles Morales(better than freaking Miles).

Most Black comicbook readers never cared for Cyborg. Just look at Black Panther and where he is now in terms of movies and comics. Its due to him having a solid black fanbase that pushed for his character and so the character grew organically and gathered more fans than just his Black ones. The same can not be said for Cyborg who's push was artificial to have diversity in the JL. If Cyborg's movie flops then I don't know what DC will do with him. I'd prefer Vixen over Cyborg.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By poeticwarrior

@kgb725 said:

@poeticwarrior: Harley is the female Deadpool pretty much not to mention her connection to Batman and the Joker plus she is a villain herself so she doesn't really need to fight them

Cyborg is connected to the motherbox he could go on fun adventures with the new gods or at least have am arc or 2 with them in it

Harley Quinn is no longer a villain though, she started out as a villain, but there are a lot of characters started out as a villains. At worst, she's an anti-hero but the people she fights are villains themselves. Even in her series, she formed a crime fighting group, she broke up with Joker permanently and lectured another stalker for obsessing with him, even in Injustice, she learns how to become a hero from Batman. You're right about one thing, she doesn't have to fight them because her book isn't about crimefighting as much as slice of life and how she deals with her everyday life. Her book is about her personal life which her personality allows it to shine through. No one read Deadpool for his iconic villain but for his personality and seeing him stabbing people. This is what Cyborg lacks. What is Cyborg's book supposed to be? His personal life? His crimefighting? From what you describe, you want the book to be more like personal life and personal adventure? ATM, Cyborg's personal story seems to be about him questioning himself which is also about his personal life. The book lacks identity. I don't know how they could have dragged it out for over 2 years like that.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I feel like Cyborg belongs in the League

Diversity aside, he's a perfect representation of technology and how prominent it is in the modern age. With all the advancements in tech and just how digital our lives have become, Cyborg is more important and more powerful now than ever. I wish they kept his history with the Titans, but he belongs in the Justice League

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OldBoy93

Cyborg is the lamest character ever, the black version of Robocop LMAO (besides, nobody likes Robocop these days)

There are many DC heroes who could replace him in the JL

- Green Lantern (John Stewart)

- Vixen

- Hawkgirl (the hispanic one)

- Dr Light (Kimiyo Hoshi)

- Black Lightning

- Blue Beetle

- Static

- Icon

Cyborg will never be an iconic character, period.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

So tired of these threads. Even worse are the examples to replace him like Black lightning.

Is DC wasting him by telling the same story over and over? Sure buts he has a great powerset and potential and brings more to the league than any person that is "better"

DC has wasted a good chance with him.

in Five years they haven't given him a true rouges Gallery, A larger Supporting cast that almost acts like his own bat or Super Family, and they just do the same stories. Even the last two issue arc is doing the same stupid story and you can tell either DC or the writer just don't care when they repeatedly establish in his stories or JL that he does not care anymore. Cyborg is a great character who most people hate because nostalgic purposes of Martian manhunter who is a walking plot device of powers that are ignored or nerfed to not make him stronger than Superman as the JL's big gun or to easily beat most villains.

At this point I won't be suprised if he loses his Spot and I kind of Blame Geoff, I'm sure he was a big supporter of the character being on the league and has never pushed or payed attention to him or he wouldn;t let these writers use him in such boring ways and the same repetitive story line.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@kgb725 said:

Are villains the only thing? Harley Quinn doesn't have any iconic villain, she hangs out with Poison Ivy sometimes, but she doesn't have any iconic rogue gallery, but it doesn't stop her comics from selling like hot cakes. Cyborg is suffering from identity crisis. In some incarnations, he's the happy go lucky guy, but some others like his book, he's gloomy and edgy. His story focuses too much on him being a machine, and I don't think people can identify with it. If his movie is all about him questioning his identity, I think it will be a flop.

When Cyborg is mentioned, do people think of Justice League first or Titans (as well as Teen Titans) first? Why should he be bigger than the Titans? What makes his characters essential for a Justice League book and a solo book? He hasn't really differentiated his niche with other Superheroes. Reading various forum, people find him boring, which is a very common reply. Why is he "boring"? DC really needs to examine the character and may need to reinvent him if they want him to be an A list star like Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman.

Most of the same people who find him boring are the same people crying that he took MMH's spot, not all but most, the bias against his character amongs DC fans is so blatantly obvious. I won't pretend DC has done right by him as they NEED to put a good writer who understands victor doesn't care anymore about being half machine. Honestly at this point I wouldn't mind bendis, I'd trust him to make a character big because Geoff and the rest of DC aren't doing anything for him in his solo.

He's getting respect as a big part of Dark knights metal but I wouldn't be suprised if afterwards he leaves the team. The problem are the writers. Cyborg in his Last arc and DCyou arc he wasn't a depressed guy over his machine situation and even told jokes. If He got a movie and the first was about accepting his Machine body I think if it was actually good quality it would do decent, maybe around ant man money but if they do what the comics have done and just reused the same plot line the movies will be called out. I'm one of Cyborgs biggest supporters to be on the league but its very Clear that DC doesn't care about him so I'm not sure why they act like they do, He wasn't even with the other JL members on the DC Rebirth cover but in the back behind Batgirl.

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OldBoy93

@poeticwarrior said:
@kgb725 said:

Most of the same people who find him boring are the same people crying that he took MMH's spot, not all but most, the bias against his character amongs DC fans is so blatantly obvious. I won't pretend DC has done right by him as they NEED to put a good writer who understands victor doesn't care anymore about being half machine. Honestly at this point I wouldn't mind bendis, I'd trust him to make a character big because Geoff and the rest of DC aren't doing anything for him in his solo.

He's getting respect as a big part of Dark knights metal but I wouldn't be suprised if afterwards he leaves the team. The problem are the writers. Cyborg in his Last arc and DCyou arc he wasn't a depressed guy over his machine situation and even told jokes. If He got a movie and the first was about accepting his Machine body I think if it was actually good quality it would do decent, maybe around ant man money but if they do what the comics have done and just reused the same plot line the movies will be called out. I'm one of Cyborgs biggest supporters to be on the league but its very Clear that DC doesn't care about him so I'm not sure why they act like they do, He wasn't even with the other JL members on the DC Rebirth cover but in the back behind Batgirl.

1) Not true, most of the same people who find him boring are the same people who think that John Stewart should be the token guy in the JL. If you want to have a black character in the big team, at least choose someone with an established fanbase

2) Geoff Johns never cared for Cyborg. Let's just tell the truh: I don't think a lot of DC writers who fervently support Cyborg do so because they like the character, but rather so he can fulfill the role of 'Black guy' and they can have Saint Hal Jordan in the main team. And Johns is a well-known Jordan fanboy.

Marishtar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Marishtar

@poeticwarrior said:
@kingnemo said:

Someone's gotta pay the bills, and it ain't gonna be farmer boy or Amazon woman.

Amazon woman and Aquatic boy are actually filthy rich in many versions, just sayin.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If you're going to add a Black character, i would recommend John Stewart.

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

Then geoff shouldn't have so much power to make decisions. There are characters that he doen't care about, and doesn't care about making an accurate representation of them. More people should have a say, there should be more balanced. That is a big factor that usually lacks in some team up books. Where you feel a majority is treated like background most of the time. So what is the point of them being there?.

I totally agree with you. Plus, why seven founding members? IMO DC should make a Justice League Unlimited kind of team.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're going to add a Black character, i would recommend John Stewart.

While I like John Stewart, I always feel like he has a "legacy" feel to it by using a mantle created by a White character instead of a character created to be a non-White character in the first place. This is also a complaint people bring up for minorities taking up previously White mantle like Thor and Hulk. At this point, I'm not sure if Cyborg is right for Justice League, someone brought up a good point about the internet era which make Cyborg relevant, but they really need to make drastic change if they really want Cyborg be a thing. He's Captain Marvel's version of DC, a character that gets pushed constantly but the fanbase just doesn't seem to respond well to and both are about to have their own movie as well.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poeticwarrior said:
@kgb725 said:

If you think they don't care, why do they push him constantly in movie, TV shows, video games, etc? He appears more in main roles than some other Justice League members. They consistently keep his book despite the constant low sales and use him in many crossovers.. I feel like they desperately try to make him a thing, whether it's because they want a successful Black superhero or because they just find him interesting, I do feel like they try to make him a thing. He's like Captain Marvel. She's in the same spot as he is, both are getting heavy push, but the fans don't take well to either of them.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingnemo: Haha no, in universe Batman has the money,smarts and experience to be in the league. Outside of it he's an icon in an iconic team.

Cyborg has no excuse no matter how you look at it. Writers dont create teams based on power set, they look at the story and personality members bring to the table. The "tech" excuse is a weak excuse. Tech is a tool not story or personality. They've pretty much pigeonholed Tim Drake in to the "tech" cage as well so now he's the tech Robin because they cant be bothered to come up with interesting story or give him a personality. Cyborg is the same, tech aint an angle. Even other tech characters like Ultron, Brainiac and Cyborg Superman have actual story lines and personality beneath all that wiring. Kirby created full fledged characters in Darkseid, Orion etc when he came up with the New Gods. He didn't write stories about a Mother Box floating around doing what it does.

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poeticwarrior: Static had his own solo series in the 90s,it was really great and rebirth of cool is was good. But dc can't use him because milestone media is using the franchise to reboot their universe

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Cyborg needs a woman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting, not only is Cyborg cancelled but so were Superwoman and Blue beetle.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lord_Spectrum

@all-father said:

Interesting, not only is Cyborg cancelled but so were Superwoman and Blue beetle.

I can understand why Cyborg and SW were cancelled, but BB was rather good IMO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@all-father said:

Probably low sales. Superwoman only managed 13k sales throughout October, both Blue Beetle and Cyborg were less than 10k.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably low sales. Superwoman only managed 13k sales throughout October, both Blue Beetle and Cyborg were less than 10k.

Damn, that's really low. Well not surprised that much honestly, DC doesn't know how to do proper marketing concerning their least famous characters.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dextersinister1

@lord_spectrum said:

@all-father said:

DC has cancelled numerous titles that where critically adored with lesser known characters.

It's no one's fault really. A company doesn't make things people don't want and people aren't obligated to buy them.

One thing I can say is that people have lost the right to complain about lesser characters not getting used, DC did, the comics where really good and no one bought them. They are either a vocal minority or don't put their money where their mouth is.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dextersinister1:

DC has cancelled numerous titles that where critically adored with lesser known characters.

That is true.

It's no one's fault really. A company doesn't make things people don't want and people aren't obligated to buy them.

You are right in a way, but company has to do proper marketing and do a bit of hype and try to advertise the character properly, which DC didn't do with BB, thus we can have instances when there is the comic, but the person doesn't know that DC published it and etc..

Look at Mr. Miracle for example, he is also a lesser know character, but he got proper marketing and advertising and gets mentioned everywhere thus the comics' sales are good.

One thing I can say is that people have lost the right to complain about lesser characters not getting used, DC did,

Not really.

If DC did proper marketing and advertising and people still don't buy them, then you are right.

the comics where really good and no one bought them. They are either a vocal minority or don't put their money where their mouth is.

Read above.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JL Cyborg is so lame he's way better when he's with the titans

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_spectrum:

Look at Mr. Miracle for example

Mr Miracle is an outlier and an example of a comic being exceptional, not just good. Just checked and the first issue of sales where not very good, after words sites and forums create great word of mouth. It's not a simple case of your standard review saying this is good.

If DC did proper marketing and advertising

People have mentioned this before but you overestimate how much this could help, when most people see an advertisement for characters they don't recognize they will just skip over. A Batman fan is reading over his Batman and ignores the Omac and Swamp Thing advertisement, he has no reason to care.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr Miracle's wom among fans hails it as a must read comic if you're a fan of the medium. In addition to its own wom it also has the wom of Vision, Omega Men etc. On top of that its written by the Batman writer.

You cant really compare.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Cyborg has basically stagnated after he moved away from the Titans to the Justice League, although this happened before the New 52 as Cyborg was temporarily a member during Robinson's run. But Johns making Cyborg a founding member was and remains to this day a poor decision. It pi$$ed off fans who preferred Martian Manhunter as a founding member, Cyborg doesn't really fit amongst the League compared with the Titans, his role on the team is pigeon holed to tech support and all the history and relationships he'd built with the Titans is lost too. So this change affected both teams. Johns saying Cyborg represented the new digital age as the reason why he was on the team was pure fluff too. I find Cyborg an interesting character, at least the NTT era one, but that worked because of the dynamics of the team. A Cyborg solo doesn't have nearly that same level of interest and making Vic leader of the Justice League won't endear fans to him either.

Rustlingjimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just curious, what makes Justice League Cyborg different from Titans? Is it because of the team dynamic and relationship between the team or Cyborg himself?

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not move Vixen over from JSA? The JL is already a sausage fest without Diana or Jessica and neither of them are used as much.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you don't know Static? bruuuhhhh he's probably the most iconic minority Superhero of this generation! he had his own show which i definitely recommend, however i think his comic sales weren't that great but that was because DC didn't know if they wanted him in the main DC universe or not. I think he'd be a terrific replacement for Cyborg.

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelanddcfan24 said:

Just curious, what makes Justice League Cyborg different from Titans? Is it because of the team dynamic and relationship between the team or Cyborg himself?

Both imo. What has Cyborg really contributed to the JL team besides being a human computer and a boom tube? Bruce and Diana are some of the best tacticians on the team so no need for "game plans".

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@trust_this_786 said:

Bring back Martain Manhunter, I swear who voted his spot to be taken by Cyborg.

DC just doesn't want a guy who can beat Superman on the main roster

Um, Wonder Woman? Aquaman? Green Lantern? They have been written to beat Superman before.

And Martian Manhunter has the same problem as Cyborg with having a bland personality and non-existent world outside of the Justice League, plus not really complementing the team's skills and abilities. Ignoring fan nostalgia, getting him off the League's roster was the best thing DC could have done for MM...if they actually bothered to expand on his character afterwards.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Cyborg is a cool character, and I feel like he adds a lot to the Justice League controlling technology, none of them are able to do that and it's becoming increasingly relevant in our society. Martian Manhunter as much as I like him is really similar to Superman in a lot of ways, but Cyborg is completely distinct from the rest of the group. In addition he has a cool backstory being a man struggling with his humanity as an organic piece of technology, that's ripe for great storytelling. Almost like a tragic version of Iron Man if you will.

The problem is DC doesn't do anything with him. They just assume because all the ingredients are there for a good character, that's enough. He doesn't have any cool story arcs associated with him, no iconic villains, practically no supporting characters, a lot of his lore feels really phoned in, etc. If Cyborg got writers who gave him an archenemy, a cast of friends and colleagues, an entire history of interesting mythology centered his technology or powers, I have little doubt he could be as popular as The Flash or Green Lantern. Definitely way more relevant and not just be known by everyone as the Justice League's token minority. Which I think is a waste of a cool idea.

Avatar image for thecomiccrafter
TheComicCrafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By TheComicCrafter

Easy solution? They just need to base him on the version from Teen Titans, who struck a great balance between lighthearted comedy and deep internal struggle. There's a reason so many people like that version of the character.

Avatar image for thecomiccrafter
TheComicCrafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@dextersinister1: This could be considered slightly underhanded, but what if in order to get fans to try new series, they put the first part of a backup story in a major title like Superman or Justice League, then put the second part in a lesser-known title like Blue Beetle or Shazam so you would have to read an issue of that title to get the complete story?