could have the asgardians have defeated thanos?

#1 Posted by greenroost (1381 posts) - - Show Bio

...with 1 stone in the mcu if asgard was not destroyed and hela was a non-factor?

could have asgardians have defeated thanos with 1 stone in the mcu if asgard was not destroyed and hela + was a non-factor?

#2 Posted by mrmonster (16704 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I think they could have. And I think Thanos knew that; that's why he waited for Asgard to die before making a move on the space stone.

#3 Posted by greenroost (1381 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I think they could have. And I think Thanos knew that; that's why he waited for Asgard to die before making a move on the space stone.

ok

#4 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36981 posts) - - Show Bio

If Odin was alive yes. Thanos didn’t care about Asgard dying he cares about Odin and the Ancient One...either one could have probably stopped him.

#5 Posted by TheGrat1 (661 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster:

He made a move on the space stone via Loki.

#6 Posted by pkety (334 posts) - - Show Bio

Odin has no feats tho

Avatar image for eternaldarkfury
#7 Posted by EternalDarkFury (3391 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#8 Posted by DammeFavour (8599 posts) - - Show Bio

Where do people get these headcanons from? He wasn't waiting for Odin or asgard to die or anything, dude literally used his son as a pawn and based on what the dark elves did to the asgardians with Odin present, Thanos would have taken them easy

#9 Posted by mrmonster (16704 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGrat1: But he only made the move because Asgard had already fallen.

#10 Posted by Darkthunder (3608 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGrat1: he tried to achieve his goals by minions and not by himself as he feared Odin was stronger than him

#11 Posted by mrmonster (16704 posts) - - Show Bio

@DammeFavour: Then why didn't he? If he could've simply taken it anytime he wanted to, why did he wait so long?

The only logical reason is that he was waiting for Asgard to be weak enough to invade, which it was after Ragnarok.

#12 Edited by DammeFavour (8599 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: I would say the same reason he didn't go and take the power stone immediately or to earth for the two stones that are there, he was just lazy. I mean dude only started moving after AoU and that was just talk

As proven by the dark elves attack, asgard doesn't really have much protection, it took just one mothership on their home turf to leave them helpless

#13 Posted by mrmonster (16704 posts) - - Show Bio

@DammeFavour: I disagree. I don't think it was laziness, I believe it was timing. He knew that the one force that could stop him was Asgard, so he waited for them to be at their weakest to launch his plans.

And with the Dark Elves, that was more or less just a quick, get-in get-out type of mission. If Thanos was going to get the Space Stone, he'd pretty much have to overpower all of Asgard in order to find it and take it.

#14 Posted by DammeFavour (8599 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: I think it is or just for plot reasons. There's nothing proving it was due to timing, we've seen that Thor is no match for him and their only real advanced stuff is the bifrost. Asgard only has those weird flying boat things and the rail gun things and a shield around the palace. Do you think these are things a couple dropships, leviathans and donut ships can't overcome.

Plus they can trace the energy signatures, that's how they found vision and strange

#15 Posted by phisigmatau (2093 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: @DammeFavour:

I think both of you have points. The big issue with the Dark elves is the dramatic inconsistency with them, proven by their incompetence in the final act. They went from wreckin Asgard to not being able to catch up to friggin Darcy while looking bad doing it.

There was nothing about the Dark Elves in the film that would have me to believe they could take out lets say 2 Thors(any other mcu thor showing). All the Asgardians seemed to be severely depowered in that movie. Heimdall, Thor, Odin, you name it... however only Loki and his mom seemed to have good showings.

If you stick by high end showings- if Odin is really supposed to be > Thor. If Hiemdall is more less his equal-- if the army really is a powerful as the prologues indicate in conquering the 7 realms PLUS maintaining governance over them, It's a legitimate question.
Thanos, even with the stones is vulnerable(which is actually not faithful to the comics but consistent with the MCU). W/ out Hela I think Asgard wins with major casualities.

With Hela, Fenrir plus that undead army? Asgard wins in a landslide.

#16 Edited by phisigmatau (2093 posts) - - Show Bio

come to think of it -- that would have been a better Ragnarok Movie-- Thanos arrives for the Gem and Odin has to unearth his evil past because he needs the help of Hela+Fenrir etc... They Unite the 7 realms to wage war on a full Thanos army (who has multiple Stones) including a fully powered Surtur... while they have Thanos on his heels, Surtur, Hela and the Ice Giants use it as an opportunity to turn on vulnerable Odin. They overcome him, kill him, wipe out the Asgardian army...Hela can't stop Surtur and he continues to his aim to destroy Asgard, Loki and Thor decide its best to just try to salvage the ppl and unite with Ice giants to get Asgardians safely outta there and on their way out they're intercepted by Thanos and onto IW we go same first scene with a lil more bad blood between Thor, Loki and Thanos.

(PS Thor still has to go to Skaar to convine Hulk to come and the only way to is to fight him per Grandmaster)

#17 Posted by TheGrat1 (661 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster:

The only logical reason is that Disney wanted to build up to Infinity War and earn a ton of cash in the process. You seem to forget him saying "Fine, I'll do it myself." while Asgard was very much intact.

Thanos was the one called the strongest being in the universe, not Odin. Odin lost an eye to the frost giants and his kingdom got attacked by weaksauce dark elves that he had no counter for. Thanos would have slaughtered half of their populations and moved on.

Odin is borderline featless. I doubt he could beat Hulk.