Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

Ok I want to get serious now. This topic is about the controversy in comics like... Homosexuality, Religon, Race, Rape and other topics people find dissterbing. Like in Uncanny X-Men #423 and Uncanny X-Men #424 where they pick on Christianity or in the DC comics where different people get raped. Here is a small list of the victims...

Female victims

Male victims

• Apollo
  • Batman was drugged and raped to conceive a child with Talia al Ghul which she raised in secrecy. This is a retcon of an earlier story in which their sexual encounter was entirely consensual, and took place during a marriage.
    • Birgit Eisenmann once attempted to rape Batman in the hope of creating a perfect child, although she failed because she couldn't get him to develop an erection.
  • Brainiac 2 was raped by his L.E.G.I.O.N. teammate Stealth as part of her species' mating habits. This led to the birth of their son.
  • Cosmic Boy
  • Green Arrow was raped by Shado while he was delirious with fever, believing her to be his girlfriend Black Canary.
  • Invisible Man
  • Kyle Rayner was date-raped by Bueno Excellante, who slipped something into his drink. This is only mentioned in passing and he does not remember the incident.
  • Nightwing has been raped on multiple occasions. Mirage poses as his girlfriend Starfire to deceive him into having sex with her. Tarantula pulls his pants down and rapes him on top of a building while he's going into shock after the emotional strain of participating in Blockbuster's murder.
  • Starman
  • Swamp Thing was raped by an alien entity known as TechnisNow am I the only one that finds this dissterbing ?
kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kidchipotle

As horrible as this may sound, rape is realistic, so why shouldn't it be in comics?

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

Well I find it dissterbing. Thats my opion. Sorry for the losy spelling.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hectorsquall

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

As horrible as this may sound, rape is realistic, so why shouldn't it be in comics?

This.

But what really disturbs me is this:

No Caption Provided

He let Tarantula kill Blockbuster in order to protect his loved ones and when this sexy chick wants to have sex with him he doesn't move and let her do all the work, without even thanking her after all she did for him? What a jerk!

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrinceIMC

How were they 'picking on Christianity' in X-Men #423 and #424? It was just a religious anti-mutant group, wasn't it?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By TheCrowbar

You know as bad as it seems Tarantula's rape of Nightwing seem oddly appropriate to the situation. I think it's because the rape is so overly romanticized in that situation. His hands are free he's looking up at her. From her dialogue even, that just doesn't seem like the rape we associate with the word. She's too consoling.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7  Edited By RedOwl_1

Happens on real life so how comics could be saves of it?

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Darkchild

@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

dissterbing.

DISTURBING!!!!

if you know how the word is spelled or at least know its spelled wrong CORRECT IT

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By jrock85

There are certain things that I don't want to see in my comics--like rape.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

A lot of brutal stuff happens in comics...like y'know certain girlfriends getting stuffed in to certain refrigeration appliances

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hectorsquall

@The Stegman:

No Caption Provided
Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Nerx

@Kid_Omega_Prime: Thank you for expanding my knowledge on rape accounts in comics dude/dudette, I love that stuff

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I am all for realism in my comics, books, and shows - even if it is "disturbing."

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

I didn't think she was raped. I read the issue, and from the looks, she was about to be raped when the red ring recruited her.
Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By Saren

The Green Arrow-Shado thing was revealed to have been consensual in Blackest Night, GA just didn't want to admit that he cheated on Dinah. Then again, it could have just been the Black Lantern GA taunting Canary.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By JonesDeini

@JediXMan:

Yeah and Sally Jupiter wasn't definitively raped in Watchmen. Moore left it ambiguous which I think works perfectly. Personally I've never read it that way because of the timing with which Hooded Justice enters the room and attacks Comedian. The way the panels are set up from the moment she says "Ghhhhk" isn't enough time to, well, start a rape. Also it looks like The comedian is JUST dropping his pants as HJ enters. Anyways, I'm not a major fan of rape in comics (Ironic as I'm a huge Moore fan) mainly due to how it's been handled by most writers. Identity Crisis is the one prime example of how to badly use it. I also hate how its used as a plot device to further a male character's story. Now there are examples of it being used effectively in a story. Peter Milligan used rape in a Hellblazer story earlier in his run. We see the affect that it has on Gemma as a character and how it changes her and how it changes her and John's relationship. She wasn't raped sat aside, and the John was motivated by her tragedy to do something in the story.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- It sadly happens in real life so to expect it to be absent in a fictional world that includes super powered villains makes little sense

- The part I find disturbing is how often it is used (primarily against female characters) nowadays like its the go-to method to add drama. Instead of carrying weight it is almost a cliche now, which something as horrific as rape should never be looked at as.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheWitchingHour

I don't think Batman was technically raped. I think his DNA was used as a template for Damian test tube style.

Also I think we on the Vine need to distinguish between true rape victims and characters like Kyle Raner, Batman, and Nightwing who have zero canonical evidence of a victimized mentality. Without any follow up to a rape scene I assume it's used to fill up some sort of quota of real life tragedies that writers need to match. I guess what I'm saying is that in comics there are rape victims and there are guys who got roofied, found out about it the next day, and high fived the nearest bro (or in Batman's case...Alfred).

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Saren

@TheWitchingHour said:

I don't think Batman was technically raped. I think his DNA was used as a template for Damian test tube style.

Also I think we on the Vine need to distinguish between true rape victims and characters like Kyle Raner, Batman, and Nightwing who have zero canonical evidence of a victimized mentality. Without any follow up to a rape scene I assume it's used to fill up some sort of quota of real life tragedies that writers need to match. I guess what I'm saying is that in comics there are rape victims and there are guys who got roofied, found out about it the next day, and high fived the nearest bro (or in Batman's case...Alfred).

In Batman's own words, he was "drugged and forced to participate in a depraved eugenics experiment". Sounds like rape to me.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Saren

Oh, and Silk Spectre was not raped by the Comedian, he tried until one of the other Watchmen whose name eludes me caught him in the act and beat the crap out of him.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@CitizenBane said:

@TheWitchingHour said:

In Batman's own words, he was "drugged and forced to participate in a depraved eugenics experiment". Sounds like rape to me.

That was retconned by Morrison in FC. He realised he f*cked up. 

@hectorsquall said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

This.

But what really disturbs me is this:

No Caption Provided

He let Tarantula kill Blockbuster in order to protect his loved ones and when this sexy chick wants to have sex with him he doesn't move and let her do all the work, without even thanking her after all she did for him? What a jerk!

You know, ignorant comments like these are why it's so hard for male rape victims to be taken seriously. I understand that you're joking, but rape isn't funny. 
Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nerx

@CitizenBane: Hooded justice cockblocked him, wotta douche

TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@CitizenBane said:

@TheWitchingHour said:

Really? the term eugenics experiment implies a sexual nature? I was thinking of the exact same quote when I commented and that doesn't sound like sex was ever involved. The terms eugenics and experiment suggest that Talia only wanted Batman's genes to be passed onto Ra's al Ghul's heir. Morrison described Batman as a genetically perfect human being in Son of the Demon, she wanted Damian to be the same. And Damian has was even healed by the League of Assassins scientists in a giant test tube after he broke his spine in Batman and Robin right? That shows precedent and antecedent for a very non sexual birthing process (i.e. test tube cloning style). To assume that rape was involved because of one sentence that doesn't even have a single word relating to sex or rape in it is a big assumption and one I'm not inclined to bank on.

Whisper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Whisper_

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nerx

@Kid_Omega_Prime: You forgot youngins and senior citizens dude

TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@FadeToBlackBolt:

You're missing the point. I admit rape isn't funny and being cavalier and immature about the subject was inappropriate and I apologize. But you're still missing the point.

When rape does occur in comics it should be given the respect, dimensionality, and complication that such a tragedy deserves. Characters such as Black Cat, Sue Dibny, Stephanie Brown etc... have been shown to be victimized as a result of rape or molestation. They have cannon incidents of tragedy and consequence and it continually affects their stories today for better or for worse. It has become a part of their character and they must deal with it.

To suggest that Batman was raped is ridiculous and insulting to actual rape victims and fictional ones as well. He was drugged and was subjected to fatherhood via a needle and that event had virtually no negative consequence on his life today. Damian even went on to become Robin so good came out of it.

Nightwing was raped. No denying that. But I have never seen one mention of it besides the scan posted earlier. It's not part of his character. It's not a tragedy in his life. It's something that was swept under the rug. And such a travesty cannot be swept under the rug. From a canonical perspective he isn't a rape victim because it's almost as if it never happened.

I think that rape needs to be more than a crime of opportunity to writers who have run out of ideas to add tortured pathos to a character. I think it needs to be well thought out and respected (the gravity of the act, not the act itself). And I think that it needs to involve more than being roofied one night and casually moving on with your morning. That's pandering to the lowest common denominator and it's insulting and offensive.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#27  Edited By Hawkeye446

@lykopis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt:

Thank you - glad someone pointed that out....

@_Whisper_ said:

Yep.

^ ALL QFT.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hectorsquall

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

You know, ignorant comments like these are why it's so hard for male rape victims to be taken seriously. I understand that you're joking, but rape isn't funny.

I NEVER SAID that men can't be raped, I NEVER SAID that rape was funny and I NEVER SAID that rape wasn't serious.

What you just said is really REALLY insulting, you don't know me, you know nothing about my life or my opinions, and instead of starting a conversation with me to know what was my point you just assume that I was trolling and joking about rape!

I introduce you to the word SARCASM. (S.A.R.C.A.S.M!). I think rape is a serious problem, that men can be raped and that like when women are raped, this is really serious. I was just trying to say that this scene failed to show what rape really is.

This scene was like saying "Hey! Look! If you try to save your family and that the woman who helped you kill the criminal has sex with you, it's wrong."WTF! There are rape scenes who are way more believable than this one.

If you don't agree with me, fine, I don't care. But next time, instead of quoting "ignorant comments like these", try to respect others' opinions and stop assuming everyone is a troll.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nerx

What do you mean rape cannot be funny?

Duude...

For me it aint funny but something else entirely

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nickthedevil

Just another tragedy that happens everyday in the real world. sorry, but it's a real thing.

but IMO In comic books surviving a tragedy makespeeeeoplle beeeetttttter.

i've always liked my characters tragic.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By Strider1992

Wasn't Ms Marvel raped as well? I remember hearing this somewhere.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By InnerVenom123

@hectorsquall said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I NEVER SAID that men can't be raped, I NEVER SAID that rape was funny and I NEVER SAID that rape wasn't serious.

What you just said is really REALLY insulting, you don't know me, you know nothing about my life or my opinions, and instead of starting a conversation with me to know what was my point you just assume that I was trolling and joking about rape!

I introduce you to the word SARCASM. (S.A.R.C.A.S.M!). I think rape is a serious problem, that men can be raped and that like when women are raped, this is really serious. I was just trying to say that this scene failed to show what rape really is.

This scene was like saying "Hey! Look! If you try to save your family and that the woman who helped you kill the criminal has sex with you, it's wrong."WTF! There are rape scenes who are way more believable than this one.

If you don't agree with me, fine, I don't care. But next time, instead of quoting "ignorant comments like these", try to respect others' opinions and stop assuming everyone is a troll.

"OMG YOU DON'T KNOW ME"

This is a hysterical overreaction to a simple misunderstanding.

Chill the f**k out.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nerx

@Strider92: She was , got impregnated and fans forgot that. Peeg too

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By Strider1992

@Nerx said:

@Strider92: She was , got impregnated and fans forgot that. Peeg too

Oh wait I think I remember it now. Was that the whole deal with Marcus?

I'm surprised that has been swept under the rug to be honest what with Ms Marvel becoming a popular character and all.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hectorsquall

@InnerVenom123: I wasn't talking to you, I just reacted to his comment and shared my opinions. You call that a "misunderstanding" but he didn't even responded to my comment so how can you know that?

Now if you want to react like that, it's your call, but please don't tell me to"Chill the f**k out"or"This is a hysterical overreaction".Don't speak to me like that. I didn't insult anyone but what you said is clearly offensive and disrespectful.

"OMG I Flagged You"

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nerx

@Strider92: Rape needs more love as a theme here, so many cases have been kept under the rug (except for miniseries)

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By InnerVenom123

@hectorsquall said:

@InnerVenom123: I wasn't talking to you, I just reacted to his comment and shared my opinions. You call that a "misunderstanding" but he didn't even responded to my comment so how can you know that?

Now if you want to react like that, it's your call, but please don't tell me to"Chill the f**k out"or"This is a hysterical overreaction".Don't speak to me like that. I didn't insult anyone but what you said is clearly offensive and disrespectful.

"OMG I Flagged You"

You're still doing it. That overreacting thing.

You should stop that.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hectorsquall

@InnerVenom123:

What to flag. Pay attention.

• Posts made with the intention of baiting others into a response in order to start a flame war
  • Posts in response to others that bear a condescending tone (if what that person is saying is directed toward another Viner).

Looks like you really want to get flagged!

I'm notoverreacting, just trying to express my opinions on the subject without being disrespectful to anyone, but it looks like YOU are"overreacting"and want to start a flame war. So please, stop this nonsense. If you really want to continue we should talk with one of the Moderators.

PS: "OMG I Flagged You"

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By ReVamp

It wasn't an offensive statement, far from it. It didn't have the intention to bait or a condescending tone either.

Also, I wouldn't classify the Nightwing thing as rape. Obviously she was taking advantage of him, but I don't think the writer was meant to be interpreted as a rape, people just turned it into that.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@ReVamp said:

It wasn't an offensive statement, far from it. It didn't have the intention to bait or a condescending tone either.

Also, I wouldn't classify the Nightwing thing as rape. Obviously she was taking advantage of him, but I don't think the writer was meant to be interpreted as a rape, people just turned it into that.

GTFO with your logic :P
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By InnerVenom123

@hectorsquall: I love how you plug your motives into my posts.

All I did was tell you to calm down over a simple misunderstading-- which I'm pretty sure is the OPPOSITE of starting a flame war, by the way-- and here you go, rambling and ranting on and on.

PS: TAKE A PILL OR SOMETHING. YOU'RE GONNA DIE OF A HEART ATTACK AT THE RATE YOU'RE GETTING OFFENDED EASILY.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By InnerVenom123

@TheGoldenOne said:

@ReVamp said:

You know you're screwed when logic doesn't work.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By ReVamp

@InnerVenom123 said:

@TheGoldenOne said:

@ReVamp said:

You know you're screwed when logic doesn't work.

It does, which is why he told me to GTFO.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think writers just want people to relate to the characters, showing even they're vulnerable to everyday things or simply to give a little perspective on the subject. It's unnecessary, but it happens either way.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hectorsquall

@ReVamp: His post and the previous ones were offensive towards me. If you don't think so, fine but when someone tells you to "Chill the f**k out" or that you have"a hysterical overreaction" I don't know how you could think that it isn't offensive.

@InnerVenom123: Again, please stop this nonsense, I don't understand why you're still doing this. All I was doing was responding to FadeToBlackBolt's post and then, I still don't understand why, you started telling me to "Chill the f**k out" or that I should take pills because I'm gonna die of a hearth attack because I'm "getting offended easily." It's not even funny and it's more like harassment. I flagged you again and if you still continue to bother me I will contact one of the Moderators.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By InnerVenom123

@hectorsquall: I told you to chill out because you were being hilariously over the top in your response.

FadeToBlackBolt thought you were joking about a rape and you said you weren't (This was the misunderstanding I pointed out in my first reply to you), then proceeded to give your life story in big, bold text, and call him an idiot with a youtube link.

I told you to chill out.

You told me I was being offensive (... somehow...) and that you would flag me.

I mocked your overreaction, you freaked out again.

I'm not harassing you. I was joking.

So, again: chill out.

Look at that, I even left out the censored f**k this time.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hectorsquall

@InnerVenom123 said:

I told you to chill out because you were being hilariously over the top in your response.

So for you expressing his opinions and disagreeing with someone is ""hilariously over the top"?

FadeToBlackBolt thought you were joking about a rape and you said you weren't (This was the misunderstanding I pointed out in my first reply to you), then proceeded to give your life story in big, bold text, and call him an idiot with a youtube link.

First I didn't give him my life story and I didn't called him an idiot, I just pointed out that the following sentence was stupid IMO: "You know, ignorant comments like these are why it's so hard for male rape victims to be taken seriously." Because he said that my comment was ignorant (it wasn't) and I don't see how male rape victims won't be taken seriously because of one sarcastic comment who was meant to start a constructive discussion.

You told me I was being offensive (... somehow...) and that you would flag me.
I mocked your overreaction, you freaked out again.
I'm not harassing you. I was joking.
So, again: chill out.
Look at that, I even left out the censored f**k this time.

When someone tells you to "Chill the f**k out" or that you have"a hysterical overreaction" it's offensive.

And you said yourself that you mocked my "overreaction" because you thought that I freaked out. Again you just proved that your post was meant to be offensive towards me.

I won't chill out because you tell me to. I tried to have a constructive conversation but you just continue to harass me and no, it's not joking when you persist with your mockeries, it's just a disrespectful and stupid reaction.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By InnerVenom123

@hectorsquall said:

And you said yourself that you mocked my "overreaction" because you thought that I freaked out. Again you just proved that your post was meant to be offensive towards me.

I won't chill out because you tell me to. I tried to have a constructive conversation but you just continue to harass me and no, it's not joking when you persist with your mockeries, it's just a disrespectful and stupid reaction.

I.

Was.

Joking.

I'm not actively trying to be "offensive" and make you cry or scream or whatever it is you're doing.

Now stop replying, please.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hectorsquall

@InnerVenom123:

You started this but you won't have the last word. Now if YOU want to continue this discussion, PM me so that we discuss it further.
You started this but you won't have the last word. Now if YOU want to continue this discussion, PM me so that we discuss it further.

Now stop replying in this thread, please.