Posted by Killer94 (467 posts) 8 months, 30 days ago

Poll: Constantine (2005) Vs. Dr. Strange (2016): Which movie has the better Story and Lore/Mythology? (57 votes)

Constantine 58%
Dr. Strange 42%

Constantine

No Caption Provided

Vs

No Caption Provided

Which movie has the better Story and Lore/Mythology?

#1 Posted by Drveo08 (490 posts) - - Show Bio

Story: Equal

Lore/Mythology: Constantine 10/10

So overall, Constantine.

#2 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved Dr strange. Used to be a huge fan of the toys and comics when growing up

#3 Posted by The_Badman (2725 posts) - - Show Bio

Constantine IMO. I never read Hellbllazer, so the movie's differences from source material never bothered me. Doctor Strange's story was cliched and unimpressive, it really has nothing going for it other than visuals.

Also, Keanu Reeves giving the finger to the Devil was kinda awesome.

#4 Posted by GateOfBabylon (4565 posts) - - Show Bio

@drveo08 said:

So overall, Constantine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba513314c41c
#6 Posted by deactivated-5ba513314c41c (1099 posts) - - Show Bio

constantine was great.

but I read hellblazer years after i saw the movie and the movie felt like a fan fiction in retrospect. hellblazer had some seriously messed up stuff happen, all credit to the writers and inkers who come up with this twisted stuff. wasn't my cup of tea but i was impressed at the creativity!!

#7 Posted by Richubs (5736 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr. Strange.

Even though I liked Constantine and found Dr. Strange not challenging at all it still had better and much more solidified rules. Constantine played around with thier rules and they didn't seem grounded.

#8 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

Constantine on both accounts.

I didn't read the books till years after the movie, so the controversy around Keanu's casting didn't bother me, but neither did Tilda Swindon's casting as the Ancient One. The story of the movies gets decided on that Constantine had a decent enough story of it's own, while the first time I saw Dr. Strange I just felt like 'hey we've been here before with Iron Man'.

Lore... well Constantine is one of those highly revered books writers turn to when they put on their big boy pants and are ready to write something grown up. Strange very much dwells in the world of comicbooks... Hence why Strange's villains in the movie were a black metal enthusiast and a glittering discoball with a face, while Constantine's were two angels and a demon in tailored suits.

#9 Posted by adamTRMM (9335 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like Constantine more. The story in Strange was so painfully mediocre it was bad.

#10 Posted by Michaelbn (2748 posts) - - Show Bio

Keanu

The only good things about doc was visuals and music, cliched and MCU movie. Constantine was and still is unique.

#11 Posted by Killer94 (467 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#12 Edited by RedHood_JayTodd (1720 posts) - - Show Bio

@michaelbn said:

Keanu

The only good things about doc was visuals and music, cliched and MCU movie. Constantine was and still is unique.

It deserved a sequel too imo.

#13 Posted by Subline (8705 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't even know there was a Constantine film, anyway I'm pretty sure / certain that it won't be as good as Dr Strange.

#14 Edited by LEGACY6364 (7441 posts) - - Show Bio

Constantine has the better Story and Lore/Mythology by far.

But coming from a Hellblazer Constantine fan, 2005's Constantine sucked. The NBC series did a far superior job.

#15 Edited by Killer94 (467 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#16 Posted by Nucleon (3600 posts) - - Show Bio

Tilda Swindon was in both.

I really, really liked "Constantine", and it made of that little-known characters one of mt all-time faves, as I took a real interest in it afterwards.

In comparison, Doc Strange was merely pleasant and formulaic.

#17 Posted by StormShadow_X (16790 posts) - - Show Bio

After finally watching it a few weeks ago I'm really mad it didn't get a sequel. I honestly prefer it over doctor Strange and that surprised me. Not saying Doctor Strange was amazing and perfect but it just looked a d sounded better. Keanu killed it though

#18 Posted by Lan_Fan (15941 posts) - - Show Bio

Constantine has the better Story and Lore/Mythology by far.

But coming from a Hellblazer Constantine fan, 2005's Constantine sucked. The NBC series did a far superior job.

#19 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

Constantine.

#20 Posted by mrmonster (15921 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr. Strange

#21 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12882 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Constantine better

#22 Posted by Morpheus_ (34637 posts) - - Show Bio

Calling the Keanu Reeves version "Constantine" is a mercy.

#23 Posted by wildvine (14882 posts) - - Show Bio

Story: Strange. Constantine had a few plotholes that were never explained

Lore: Constantine technically. Strange didn't have much and Constantine was just Judeo-Christian fan fiction.

#24 Posted by rogueshadow (29423 posts) - - Show Bio

Calling the Keanu Reeves version "Constantine" is a mercy.

#25 Posted by Zepta_Pon (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

Constantine.

This is a good example of the difference between a genuinely creative cbm like Constantine and a corporate junk food cbm like Doctor Strange.

And anyone who actually watched Constantine till the end knows about the awesome post credit scene.

#26 Posted by BullPR (6035 posts) - - Show Bio

I preferred Constantine.

#27 Edited by Blackdog2009 (3761 posts) - - Show Bio

CONSTANTINE is such a great movie, so well done, so different and underrated. No way does Dr. Strange compare. No way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c522ab96172e
#28 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Derrickson wasted so many opportunities in Doctor Strange that is downright sad how the final product is almost a generic CBM(Not that I completely blame him of course, it's hard to do something unique with all the family-friendly restrictions on the MCU's movies). I still liked, but the fact they even went with the worst designs for the characters when compared to pretty much all the other official artworks already speak for itself. He had the chance to use fricking Nightmare and thus bring some horror-elements from his other movies, explore concepts like the Bar With No Doors where all mystical practitioners reunite, places like The Quadriverse and even organizations such as The Magic Council from Britain/The Sons of Satannish/The Creators and so on. Plus the humor and amount of jokes seem too off-hand for something related to Strange compared to Constantine's more serious and fitting tone. Derrickson also butchered Ancient One's character, hyped Kaecilius way too much for nothing, deleted some cool and important scenes for the story and so on.

For all those reasons and more, I take Constantine as the winner lore and quality-wise.

#29 Posted by Magian (152049 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure the Constantine movie might be quite different from its source material, which didn't really bother me since I haven't read it and whilevI did like the Doctor Strange movie, I am going to give this to Constantine.

Story wise neither is anything groundbreaking but I liked the atmosphere and lore in Constantine a bit more.

#30 Posted by Drveo08 (490 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#31 Posted by Lan_Fan (15941 posts) - - Show Bio

Constantine has better lore and mythology for sure.

#32 Posted by Bastetz (184 posts) - - Show Bio

@drveo08 said:

Special effects: Dr Strange ( doesn't matter but! )

So overall, Constantine.

#33 Posted by Killer94 (467 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#34 Edited by Mad_Jim (2622 posts) - - Show Bio

Constantine is a far deeper movie. Far more philosophical...

#35 Posted by Darkthunder (3147 posts) - - Show Bio

Constantine even though I am a marvel fan

#36 Posted by ValorKnight (12421 posts) - - Show Bio

Constantine, no contest.

#37 Posted by Killer94 (467 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#38 Posted by Blackdog2009 (3761 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, the cast of Constantine is very impressive.