• 75 results
DeadCosmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeadCosmos

I personally think Manga and Comics are just as equally I don't know which one, what about you guys?

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By super_psycho

Comics by far

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By darth_brendroid

Technically they're the same medium, just a different art style. The same as how tv series are 'cartoons' or 'animated series' depending on the art style/demographic.

Story-wise, you get good stuff and you get bad stuff. With manga though, since it's from Japan, they probably only translate the 'good' stuff so it seems better overall. There's likely a lot of stuff that doesn't make it into English/other languages because it wasn't seen as too popular.

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By darth_brendroid

Also, um, which country are you from?

KingUranus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KingUranus

Manga has quality story and plot 
Comic has quantity story and plot

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123

THEY'RE BOTH GOOD. THE END.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By tensor

Manga have a wide an better variety of stories than comics, plus they have an end.Comics on the other hand keeps going an going but at the end of it all i like them both

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#8  Edited By Deadcool

They are the same thing...

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By darth_brendroid

@tensor: Didn't Starman have an end? I plan on picking that series up at some point.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty
@KingUranus said:
Manga has quality story and plot Comic has quantity story and plot

Yup yup!!   

I like both.  They have different pros & cons, but they're both good :)
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Billy Batson

european/american comics>manga
BB

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Saren

@Billy Batson said:

european/american comics>manga
BB

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By justice teen

Manga has lots of stupid and unless moments. Comics have lots of jacked up moments( superman's secret ID), because new artistes make more bad alterations than good.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever floats your boat and,get's you to the other side of the pond, but personally I'll always view manga as superior form of comic *shrugs* Just how I feel.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I prefer comics although I like manga too.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Comics times ten.

Novae_Callisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay as an individual I think Comic's are way better than Manga. The backstories of comic book characters are better and the art style is more realistic, one thing that annoys me about Manga is the fact that it's so over dramatized- for example a drawing of a character from a manga could simply be pointing at someone, but the image will take up a whole page and multiple lines will be used making the character stand out from the background- basically there are too many over-reactions. Also, a lot of people are usually able to relate to comic book characters, making the comic's easier to read because the reader will have a good understanding of what's going on...

Oh also, if you search for 'Pony comic style' you'll get a whole bunch of colorful depictions of MLP, mostly the comic book but still comic styled, although when you search for 'Pony manga style' you'll just get a bunch of furries XD

Chazz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comic manga formate annoys me a lot. Yet i do prefer a few animes to comics.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 404

I have never been able to get to rips with Manga (black & white for the most part is so ugly) I just really can't put up with it. So I rather watch the anime.

gabrielthelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justiceteen: At least the anime characters die have good story and anime are not as long as comic ex of high moments in anime death of the mother of eren, jiraia, kuririm emtre or

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

?...uhm...Im usually/sometimes annoyed by those "friendship crap" in manga and "complexity crap" in comics..?

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I like them both about equally.

Avatar image for techno-organic5
Techno-Organic5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are equally popular. The fanbases for each type of comic are equally big. I like both.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FaradaySloth

Manga was and is still way more enjoyable than Comics to be honest imho.

Omnipotent94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Omnipotent94

I prefer comics slightly more than manga.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Comics art solos

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's quality and crap in both mediums.

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gabrielthelord: you seem a little pressed. Anime lacks alot in certain places that comics do not especially in longevity.

avensis18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By avensis18
FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga art is better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8317971872
deactivated-5cc8317971872

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StormShadow_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#33  Edited By StormShadow_X  Online

Despite the stupid comments saying who has better Art when both are such open fields for the industry they are about even with Pro's and cons -

• DC/Marvel have the issue and blessing of being in a connected universe which leads to great world building and bad inconsistent writers as characters get different writers over the years. They are also harder to get into for newer people, Of Course this issue is only for DC/Marvel, other comics hardly have this issue due to not being as big or old as the big two. Invincible is a great example of this, same with spawn
  • Manga more times than not are written by one person as to help with consistency you won't find in the big two, and have an easy start, middle, and end. However most don't have color which maybe its due to the fact that I grew up with color comics, it can take me out the story some times and I know a lot of people care about colorings. ( I mean I honestly can't read a series like Jojo without color, it was practically made to be in color)

If I'm Comparing a standard Manga to a Standard Comic (not meant to be apart of a bigger universe) they are about equal

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wish in future manga to came in colors too :)

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Yassassin

Bout par, but I'll say manga since I've read more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanthor: Some colorizations of manga have been created and released like Dragon Ball Full Color and Naruto Color Edition (sadly this hasn't been released in English it has some of the nicest coloring imho)

Dragonball Full Color;

No Caption Provided

Naruto Color Edition;

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notcensored: thanks

and good lets hope everyone makes manga in that way it looks more beautiful

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jay_z94  Online

Comics because I am a part of and prefer Western culture.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love black and white art of manga lol. Sometimes color manga just takes the imagination away

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

@supermanthor said:
@warlockmage said:

Comics art solos

Kentaro Miura says hi.

No Caption Provided

Takehiko Inoue says hi.

No Caption Provided

Yusuke Murata says hi.

No Caption Provided

imagine thinking that's actually better than comic art

Alex Ross laughs in your face

No Caption Provided

Jim Lee Omegalul's

No Caption Provided

Andrea Sorrentino says "lack of colors means inferior art just accept it"

No Caption Provided

Alex Maleev says you don't even need a lot of color to make an infinitely better piece of art

No Caption Provided

and finally Arthur Adams says "Im almost 60 and i still make better art than what you have shown"

No Caption Provided

but you know what really makes comic art better... your artists' only stick to one book. My artists move onto to do several, i get to see them do many different characters for many different stories. You hold onto your fancy black and white drawings though man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warlockmage

imagine thinking that's actually better than comic art

Because it objectively is lol

Alex Ross laughs in your face

The only person on this list that has art i like tbh

Jim Lee Omegalul's

Fodder tier art its decent but nothing special overall no reason to bring it up, Kishimoto can out preform him honestly

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

Andrea Sorrentino says "lack of colors means inferior art just accept it"

Yea cause color determines quality smh that's all your argument revolves around and it holds no weight whatsoever, the only thing needed for an image to look appealing to the eye is the lights and dark's to be good something you're more than capable of showing with only black and white. Hiroya Oku one shots.

No Caption Provided

Alex Maleev says you don't even need a lot of color to make an infinitely better piece of art

lol completely untrue color isn't needed to make a piece of art look good nor does including color make the image better, I'll pick quality over substance any-day of the week, Tsutomu Nihei cock slaps.

No Caption Provided

and finally Arthur Adams says "I'm almost 60 and i still make better art than what you have shown"

lol Kentaro Miura and Takehiko Inoue are 52, Arthur's only 56 and hes infinitely inferior to either of them he has no excuse, fuck even Murata's better than him by miles and he's only started his career. This is by far the single worst example you've brought up.

Katsuhiro Otomo one shots in a mismatch

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

but you know what really makes comic art better... your artists' only stick to one book. My artists move onto to do several, i get to see them do many different characters for many different stories. You hold onto your fancy black and white drawings though man

Not only does that not have anything to do with the quality of the art its objectively untrue, Takehiko Inoue has made 3 cult classics already in his career (Real, Vagabond and Slam Dunk) Kentaro Miura despite going on multiple year long hiatuses has also worked on a multitude of works over the span of his career most recently his one-shot Gigantomakhiahas been well receivedand Murata has worked on multiple things already in his sort career (One-Punch Man, Eyeshield 21 and Gokiburi Buster) kind of shows your lack of knowledge on the industry lol

WorldofRuin6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only dabble in comics cuz its hard to follow the ever changing continuity. Manga have easy to follow story lines and generally better art IMO.

Bag_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Western comics is like reading literature with pictures, i don't understand why they called it comics in the first place and not novels with pictures. Manga actually use the image and dialogue bubble and convey a scene and made it seems like a story board for that particular view point.

ovy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga for me

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only comparable comic picture in terms of quality was Andrea Sorrentino and MAYBE Alex Ross.

To make a picture as detailed or even more detailed with just two colors compared to a multitude is undeniably better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb50bbe83fe7
deactivated-5cb50bbe83fe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I take issue with notion of comics lacking variety. I'll stop you right there. There are same genres in comics as in manga. Sci-fi to Horror to Slice of life. Superheros and action Shonen are well known given they appeal to people at younger ages and get promoted more. To write either off is silly. Art is entirely subjective,which go without saying, doesn't stop this thread to turn into a grade school pissing contest. The only point to argue is consistency and ease of access. However the fact that manga has a single writer/artist in no way saves if from bottoming out.

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GXrevs06

Manga by far. You do not have to worry about decades worth of convoluted continuity or spend tons of time beforehand browsing the internet for correct 'reading orders'. You can literally pick up any manga and just start at issue 1. Here are the issues I have with comics that manga usually does not have

Inconsistent art. Comicbooks change their artists way too often, IMO. It would be one thing if it were every 15 or so issues but it can be so jarring when every other issue or page is done by a different artist

Inconsistent writing. Because of the continuous, never ending model Marvel and DC use, it means they change writers frequently. This can result in inconsistent characterisation of a character. Your character could be written a certain way for "X" amount of years and then suddenly another writer comes along and completely murders that character

Panelling: Manga usually has an easier to follow layout. Comics just can't draw an action scene as well as Japanese artists

Retcons. It is hard stay invested or immerse yourself into a title when everything one writer establishes just gets thrown into the garbage when the next writer jumps on. Just look at what Bendis is doing to the Superman titles right. Superman from the New 52 until now has been confusing as hell to follow, especially that Reborn arc. The continuity is a mess. It is down to the readers to figure everything out when it should be the writers' job to convey these details

Too many cosmic and multiversal storylines. I hate these types of storylines. They are often over the top and can be really hard to follow at times. Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, COIE, Infinity, Secrete Wars,. They are all 'egh'

Another big issue I have with comics are crossovers. You are often forced into reading other stories or titles just so can keep up with your character's exploits. You could be reading the Flash, for example, all the way up to issue 15, and when you start 16, turns of there is huge gap in the story where important developments happened to your character in said crossover. Take the Superman Doomed Story Arc

My favourite comic runs are the ones that are mostly self contained, have good writing and consistent art. Brubaker's Captain America run(fantastic run), Johns Aquaman and Green Lantern, Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Straczynski's ASM, Morrison's Batman, Bendis Ultimate Spider man and the Ultimates Vol 1 & 2

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both since manga books can be linear and focus more on the stories progress throughout its run while comic books focus on separate arcs throughout their run and the next as well as developing powers and mindsets while trying hard to not go too far. Comic books and manga books are good and respectable, but both sides have their share of problems besides censorship restrictions or some law like comics code or copyrighting, in my opinion.

Some possible problems with manga is that:

If they become very complex in terms of giving you so much non-linear mystery and potential lore for readers to care about until its revealed only for the series to end/forces the anime to slow down or crash/get canceled/be worked on outside of the book which might be non-canon.

Plus a manga story not being able to be altered after their first run like how Batman became edgy and better than the light-hearted side after the guy who worked on the Daredevil series took a try.

Also weekly works might take time away from getting more creative and planning if they have to follow that sort of schedule.

Then there's the characters who the creator really likes, enough to make them seem really important like Magi's Sinbad or some character's body parts which might be hard to swallow of said body parts do not foreshadow the apocalyptic future or is the chosen one destined to bring balance to the world only to become a sith lord or a symbolic representation of societies hatred or desire or self-deprecated/self-loathing expectations.

Plus they don't get down to earth at times with other characters and enemies such as if its an action type series because its usually focused on facing the big bad or sticking to one team for the whole series or just that one arc and some filler and said characters don't get introduced or developed again.

As well as not being able to flesh out other characters in their own stories and arcs, like how Wolverine became his own character or Harley Quinn or Batman's sidekicks.

As well as it probably being rare to see a one-off character or low-tier character suddenly become a mastermind or incredibly deep or powerful after someone does a retcon or actually develop the character further.

Following tropes which might get dry or overused nearing anime pokemon Brock's luck with dating levels.

Having put the creators through hard work which might make the manga progression struggle like some series. Some are either slow or have ended with no resolution or are on hiatus for quite some time.

Possible scheduling for mangakas which might be like the animation portion in Japan, but I am not sure.

Some possible problems with comics is that:

It struggles with inconsistencies and complex stuff like crossovers and trying to keep other series afloat by making people read another book outside the main in order to catch up to what goes on.

Plus not all writers and artists are able to make the best of what they work with. They might ruin a character or de-establish what was made previous.

New writers or artists can mess up what has been made and established if they did not make things better.

The whole comic book real time attempts that have gone on in some comics just so characters age and not die due to made up reasons. Unless its some sort of elseworld's story or some form of character development. Plus sometimes de-aging a character makes things confusing.

Having a decent series run not get recognition due to reasons and thus get canceled without getting resolved.

Dumping a character for so long with a very slight chance of them coming back.

Some other reason.

No localizations that can be made fun/fuel some memes of due to the absurdity like 4kids attempts, american kirby, invisible gun.

Sometimes weird art and body proportions like those Rob Liefield works of male and female characters.

Probably weird pop-culture designs and characters that might be hard to look back to or bring to modern comics. Might be hard for nostalgia-driven people or new readers to go back to past comics due to this.

Maybe licensing issues that are going on.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga for me too, I feel like western comics try to tell the story with pile of dialogs and text which makes it boring while manga does it via art we see. "Show, don't tell" basically.