Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Comics VS Manga (129 votes)

Comics 54%
Manga 46%

So which would you say is bettern eastern nerd culture or western. Comics or Manga,Anime or Cartoons,Studio Gibly or Pixar,Goku or Superman Etc. In this rivalry between mainly american originated nerd and geek culture or mainly japanese origin nerd and geek culture which does everyone prefer.

• 
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#51 the_stegman  Moderator

@mrx1122: Comics go past just books, movies, TV, animation, games, toys. It's a multi billion dollar business that manga can't catch up to. And I'd say Superman and Batman alone are more popular worldwide that the most popular manga character (Pikachu? Goku?)

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Warlockmage

@mrx1122 said:
@warlockmage said:
@mrx1122 said:
@warlockmage said:

comics are far superior in terms of quality

the only thing they are superior in is art

and better storylines

and better character development

and better dialogue

and more iconic characters

and more versatility

but if you dont count any of that then yeah its only art

these are purely opinions not facts(for me most comic story i read sucks compare to manga ones i've read) and there are hundreds of thousands of manga you can't based it just on the ones you know there are all types of manga.

comic is more iconic because they are much older than manga besides comics are loosing popularity now anyway and there are manga characters like pikachu more iconic than many iconic comic characters and the rest of the famous manga characters are also gonna catch up.versatility !?!? are you kidding ,that just depends on what type of manga you're talking about so no i would argue they are both equally versatile.

Superman's "S" was just named the 3rd most recognizable symbol, behind McDonalds and Coca-Cola, in the world, sure they are losing popularity and let me know when any anime/manga symbol breaks top 100 most recognizeable symbols (never gonna happen lol)

a piss poor movie that included Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman made nearly a billion dollars because it included those 3 characters and no other reason. but sure Comics are losing popularity.

I think you're delusional about popularity especially the movies have come out and started making millions and billions

This entire question is a matter of opinion so you just decided to chime in saying your opinion was better than mine? sure good for you mate. you're wrong but good for you.

Avatar image for parker_industries
Parker_Industries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So nobody is gonna ask why OP made this thread in a website named "ComicVine"? No? Okay.

mrx1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By mrx1122

@the_stegman: why are you mentioning the movies,no one cares about the comics nowadays and they will be forgotten,if the manga had movies too they would surpass the dc movies etc someday.manga are way more popular than comic world wide,they also get more sales.just look it up.for your infornation manga also goes past just book,tv,game etc .manga is already more popular than the comics and they will surpass comic in its heartland too (america)

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 the_stegman  Moderator

@mrx1122: I'm mentioning movies because they're apart of it, manga have movies too, and just like everything else, they are inferior to the comics'.

Comics are more popular in every medium.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 the_stegman  Moderator
mrx1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By mrx1122
@warlockmage said:
@mrx1122 said:
@warlockmage said:
@mrx1122 said:
@warlockmage said:

and better storylines

and better dialogue

and more versatility

these are purely opinions not facts(for me most comic story i read sucks compare to manga ones i've read) and there are hundreds of thousands of manga you can't based it just on the ones you know there are all types of manga.

comic is more iconic because they are much older than manga besides comics are loosing popularity now anyway and there are manga characters like pikachu more iconic than many iconic comic characters and the rest of the famous manga characters are also gonna catch up.versatility !?!? are you kidding ,that just depends on what type of manga you're talking about so no i would argue they are both equally versatile.

Superman's "S" was just named the 3rd most recognizable symbol, behind McDonalds and Coca-Cola, in the world, sure they are losing popularity and let me know when any anime/manga symbol breaks top 100 most recognizeable symbols (never gonna happen lol)

a piss poor movie that included Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman made nearly a billion dollars because it included those 3 characters and no other reason. but sure Comics are losing popularity.

I think you're delusional about popularity especially the movies have come out and started making millions and billions

This entire question is a matter of opinion so you just decided to chime in saying your opinion was better than mine? sure good for you mate. you're wrong but good for you.

You are mentioning the movies not comics and oh please pokemon has also made billions of dollars.saying manga is more popular than comic is a fact no one else cares about comics nowadays compare to manga.manga gets more sale oh and thankyou for admitting comic is loosing popularity.and are you sure about manga characters not surpassing comic soon in terms of iconic oh please only 1 episode of a chinese cartoon gained 1 billion views before,frieken 1 billion can you believe that, yes comics are loosing popularity in america alone , statistics speaks for itself.the fact it years ago a lot of people were reading comics vut nowaydays a lot are reading manga in america alone , while outside america,theres hardly anyone who cares about comics compare to manga.the statistics speaks for itself

.most recognisable symble means nothing in terms of popularity lmao , many people might know the symbol but won't even know if its super man.besides pikachi isnt that far from superman in terms of popularity soon pikachu will be more popular.super is like to top 3 most popular in fiction while pikachu is top ten,which isnt that far behind

mrx1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mrx1122

@midnightdragon18: yep and even on this a biased site we still get many people say manga which just shows which is really superior lmao.and comics is loosing popularity in america while manga is getting more popular compare to years ago there was almost no manga in america.

mrx1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By mrx1122

@the_stegman: no they arent dont make me laugh,idk even know why you are mentioning the movies when its not even comics and mangas hardly have any movies.manga are the ones who surpasses comics in every medium.even in america look at how many people read comics or manga , the difference isnt even that huge.soon manga will surpass comics in america too and the comics will be forgotten , the only thing people will know are their movies

also funny you mention the movies because you realise comics cant compete with manga so you have to bring up movie s just to compete,so in a way you just admitted manga>>>>>>>>>>>> comics

The only thing you have been giving here are your opinions not based on fact

Parker_Industries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrx1122: Um,I don't want to be a dick,but you should re-phrase the whole "soon manga will surpass comics in america too and the comics will be forgotten , the only thing people will know are their movies".

Comics ain't loosing popularity.Hell,if they do then Marvel and DC would stop making comics.I mean,Marvel currently makes this shit events and they're still up and going.

Anyways,imo comics is better.I'm not saying manga is not good and all,but comics have better storylines.The only thing where manga surpass comics are the fact that manga has only one writer in it's entire run,allowing the writer to do whatever he wants with the story.Well,Invincible also has a single writer in it's run,but you get my point. But hey,that's just me.(Please don't hate me( ・ั﹏・ั))

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Manga way way way down on the list. Its just above romance novels.

mrx1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mrx1122

@parker_industries: look,the only thing am trying to get across is the fact that comic was more popular in america decades ago while their was almost no manga,almost no one knew of manga.now this is true right? but comics lost popularity compare to decades ago and manga gained popularity when no one even knew if manga even existed decades ago,so this proves how fast manga is gaining popularity , while comics have declined in popularity, manga kept on increasing,this is nothing but fact you can even look up the statistic and see am not lying

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Yassassin

@the_stegman said:

@mrx1122: Comics go past just books, movies, TV, animation, games, toys. It's a multi billion dollar business that manga can't catch up to. And I'd say Superman and Batman alone are more popular worldwide that the most popular manga character (Pikachu? Goku?)

And you think Manga isn't? By book sales alone One Piece is has casually sold over about 1 billion dollars worth of books(IN JAPAN ALONE), and again this is just OP, and just OP's manga, not counting it dozen or so of games, movies, and DVD sales or merchandise. You're VASTLY underrating manga's impact.

Parker_Industries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrx1122: Well,I wouldn't say comics in-general is declinig popularity.Like I said,it's still up and going.But yeah,you're right.Comics quite lost poluarity post WW2.But I believe it gained momentum in the late 80's up to now.

Anyways,I agree that manga is gaining popularity fast.But that is not to say comics can't keep up.

mrx1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By mrx1122

@parker_industries said:

@mrx1122: Well,I wouldn't say comics in-general is declinig popularity.Like I said,it's still up and going.But yeah,you're right.Comics quite lost poluarity post WW2.But I believe it gained momentum in the late 80's up to now.

Anyways,I agree that manga is gaining popularity fast.But that is not to say comics can't keep up.

the point am trying to make is,for example in the 1980s how many of america population was reading comic??40%?30%?while now in the 2000s it's probably declined to how much 20%?while in america manga in the 1980s was 0% while now in America in the 2000s it's at least 1-10% so this just shows how fast manga popularities increased while the comics have been on declined.comics are still going to be popular in the coming decades but it's sure as hell gonna decline based on statistics and manga is just gonna become more popular.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are good so whatever.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Yassassin

@parker_industries said:

They not only can't keep up, they will never catch up again. The top 10 weekly sales of manga matches, and sometimes exceed that of the top 10 monthly comic sales.

Seriously the number 1 comic for April shipped out 162,718,units, that the whole month, that wouldn't have made it the number 8th sold manga for the first week of April.

mrx1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvc-15 said:
@parker_industries said:

They not only can't keep up, they will never catch up again. The top 10 weekly sales of manga matches, and sometimes exceed that of the top 10 monthly comic sales.

Seriously the number 1 comic for April shipped out 162,718,units, that the whole month, that wouldn't have made it the number 8th sold manga for the first week of April.

worldwide manga is more popular than comics but in America comics are more popular than manga but based on statistics this is gonna change later

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Yassassin

@mrx1122 said:
@warlockmage said:

and better storylines

and better dialogue

and more versatility

No Caption Provided

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Gotoucanario

Really bad question, there are massively different stories in both mediums. There are mangas that I really like just like there are comics that I really like, the opposite can also be said. You can't possibly generalize it so easily when both have literally thousands of different authors.

Parker_Industries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvc-15 said:
@parker_industries said:

I feel like I have to say something,but I fail to find an argument so...touche,touche.Welp,there goes my debating skills..

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Manga has consistency(unless the editor steps in and the author has no backbone), while comics have...longevity. But then, you asked this question in a comic book forum, so what kind of answer would you expect?

Straja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga is like heroin,you just want more and more...About which is better i guess it depends on taste....

Mad_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Mad_Jim

Comics . TOAA-The Writer ..

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This really just boils down to preference,since there are so many comics and manga out there the qualities of each just overlap.

Manga has way better artwork and pacing while comics have more iconic speeches/characters and on average,more relatable characters.

I personally prefer manga over comics these days,since they're easier to catch up to and have a linear plot growth

BlindingLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're the same thing, except Manga isn't dominated by constantly rebooted characters.

JokerBat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Manga at one point but they just go so over the top with powers and all that crap. Got tired of it real quick. Comics to me are better. I love the art and story lines and the manga characters don't compare to comic characters imo. I grew with comics so I'm sticking with them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9a7b52ce5df
deactivated-5b9a7b52ce5df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrx1122 said:
@warlockmage said:

and better storylines

and better dialogue

and more versatility

everything you said are purely subjective not a fact

and about iconic characters, it depends on where you live actually comic book characters are iconic and more well known in the west but you can't say the same thing about east.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrx1122: why are you bringing up pokemon is beyond me. it's a game 1st manga/anime later so it is irrelevant.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrx1122: why are you bringing up pokemon is beyond me. it's a game 1st manga/anime later so it is irrelevant.

The Pokemon manga has sold 150 million volumes. The anime has been going on for 20 years. It's a very relevent series to anime and manga.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Yassassin

Seriously guys, if you play the numbers game the only thing comics have over manga is live action movies, that's it.

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga by far. Unlike comics, you don''t have to worry about decades worth of material, continuity and retcons to the characters. Manga is written by the same person, so there is more consistency and the style stays the same throughout the story. You can pick up any manga you're interested in and just start from chapter 1 without having sort through decades and decades of continuity.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvc-15: no it started as a game and the games are more popular than the mangas or anime ever will be unless you live in a south east Asian country like Bangladesh in which Nintendo doesn't directly do anything.

one piece, naruto etc have also sold over hundreds of millions of game copies so if anyone brings up what kind of rpgs are more popular wrpg or jrpg hardly anyone would ever bring up naruto or one piece.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Yassassin

@fat_hobo389:

no it started as a game and the games are more popular than the mangas or anime ever will be unless you live in a south east Asian country like Bangladesh in which Nintendo doesn't directly do anything.

So what if it started as a game, that doesn't refute that both the manga are viable parts of the entire franchise's popularity especially when it's literally one of top 10 best selling manga of all time. Also both the manga and the anime were released less then a year after the games were initially released so it these were always planned to be large parts of the franchise from the get go. Hell, the creator actually said "This is the comic that most resembles the world I was trying to convey."

one piece, naruto etc have also sold over hundreds of millions of game copies so if anyone brings up what kind of rpgs are more popular wrpg or jrpg hardly anyone would ever bring up naruto or one piece.

Seems dumb not to, they're a large part of the market to try and disregard them would be pointless, does being used IPs not make them games anymore? If someone were talking about movie would I not be able bring up Lord of The Ring because it's not an original movie but based on books?

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't pick on either media. I like mangas continuity, relative powers/conflict to each main character. They are free to grow up, make life changing decisions and of course permanently die.

Of course a writer should and could write a comic character like this it just holds a lot of weight unless they say it's a non canon standalone

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By micah007123

Manga. I'm scarcely reading comics these days.

sl-wopr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga, i like stories to have a start and end points.

Also in manga there could be alot of great stories within the same book. In comics the majority of good stories come from non canon material.

In manga the writer(s) is usually the same guy and usually he won't **ck up his own material. In comics there're plenty of writers and judging by the books sometimes they either don't care what others wrote or didn't even read that material to begin with.

In manga no matter how much arks there're its possible to touch every character. In comics you can't even pick 1 comic book to read, sometimes you'll drop out of the story completely. Because you know, it was prolonged in a comic about different character altogether. Example, you've read some comic chapter 13, there was some story going on. You pick up chapter 14 and what the heck? Now you read absolutely different story without any idea of what happened. Oh but don't worry ofcourse you can read previous story too because at the end of comic 13 it tells you what comic to pick up. It sucks imo.

Art. Manga most of the time has its pretty generic but consistent. Comics quality varies greatly from shit to masterpiece. Always changing art can bring some confusion and disappointment if it goes from good to bad or even more likable to something you feel is cheaper.

I would love to have a good single story about comic book characters, it could be big but it could be worth it.

And forget about those stupid soft reboots. Reboot once and for all, no bringing back characters or switching them with non canon ones making the canon ones. Nothing, just start from scratch once the big story ends.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvc-15: I suppose you are right?

mrx1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By mrx1122

doesn't matter when people think of pokemon they also think the anime and soon pikachu will be more popular than superman will ever be if he hasn't already ,look compare to years ago how many knew of him and now look how many knows of pikachu, almost everyone knows.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics. Anyone who says otherwise is an enemy of the state.

mrx1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvc-15 said:

Seriously guys, if you play the numbers game the only thing comics have over manga is live action movies, that's it.

and thats also because manga hardly have any live action movies

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrx1122: The numbers game wouldnt work for you

Omnipotent94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Comics easily.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga easily

greenroost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Bump

Avatar image for deactivated-5d59ee082aecf
deactivated-5d59ee082aecf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I like them both some animes or manga like beelzebub black clover my hero that time I was reincarnated as a slime etc are all good but comics have there lovely story tellings like infinity gauntlet or secret wars or annihilation