Comics too much like Bad Movies?

SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By SilverZeo

Recently, I have been noticing a lot the same stuff in comics: Immoral sexy, Drug Junkies, Drunkard heroes, somebody getting graphicly shank/impaled but still mange to be okay, and Explosions; big, fiery,Michael Bell level explosions. And to be quite frank: I think they're being over used. Have you ever read an issue or story arc of the last couple years without one of the elements I mention above?

it's like a car-chase scene in a detective movie: The good guy and bad guy have fender-benders but the rest of it is just a 5 to 10 minute eater that hardly contributes to the plot.

I think that's the reason why 'Countdown to Final Crisis' failed, it was like a bad movie with bad writing that was trying to survive  on the special effects. And I can see that too much in some of the other titles. What do you guys  think?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself
SilverZeo said:
"Recently, I have been noticing a lot the same stuff in comics: Immoral sexy, Drug Junkies, Drunkard heroes, somebody getting graphicly shank/impaled but still mange to be okay, and Explosions; big, fiery,Michael Bell level explosions. And to be quite frank: I think they're being over used. Have you ever read an issue or story arc of the last couple years without one of the elements I mention above?

isn't that what comics are about?....i'm glad this whole "comics should be more realistic" thing is dieing down and the x-men aren't wearing leather anymore....i want more immorally sexy characters who are drunk druggies who shank people and survive huge explosions with only minor injuries....otherwise i'm reading a book about some guy sitting on a couch watching tv
RedGhostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RedGhostman
SilverZeo said:
I think that's the reason why 'Countdown to Final Crisis' failed, it was like a bad movie with bad writing that was trying to survive  on the special effects. And I can see that too much in some of the other titles. 
Final Crisis is the only one that I can think of that did have all that stuff in it. I agree, totally. 
Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Zoom
SilverZeo said:
"I think that's the reason why 'Countdown to Final Crisis' failed...bad writing"

Hit the nail on the head.

52 compiled some of DCs best writers and they pulled off a really tough task of writing a book a week.  Then they gave the same task to some of their worst.  Needless to say, it didn't go so well.
SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SilverZeo
danhimself said:
 want more immorally sexy characters who are drunk druggies who shank people and survive huge explosions with only minor injuries....otherwise i'm reading a book about some guy sitting on a couch watching tv"
Or finding their missing relatives and love ones, ectra and so on.

I'm not saying that some of the elements I've mention before are bad, just overused.

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Midnightist

well one problem is that those things do work thats why they are used over and over again but the thing about any story is that there should be more to it than a simple car chase going the whole movie can't be a car chase but the storyline in general is whats important not just the sexy drug addicts

SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SilverZeo

You mean like "bigs guns" in the stories in the late 80s to the mid 90s?

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Midnightist

yeah

SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SilverZeo

Wasn't Messiah Complex had mostly explosions, chase the baby, people getting killed, and being sent through time warps?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King_Saturn
I actually like the Comics that way
SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SilverZeo

And what about dialouge? Like how one character tries to kill another character, couple of pages later, they're all cool with each other? Here's an example what I'm trying to say. A video review of Superman: At World End. >here<

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By King_Saturn
SilverZeo said:
"And what about dialouge? Like how one character tries to kill another character, couple of pages later, they're all cool with each other? Here's an example what I'm trying to say. A video review of Superman: At World End. >here<

"
Thats Just The Bizarre Logic Of Comics...

lol
SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SilverZeo
King Saturn said:
"SilverZeo said:
"And what about dialouge? Like how one character tries to kill another character, couple of pages later, they're all cool with each other? Here's an example what I'm trying to say. A video review of Superman: At World End. >here<

"

lol
"
Wasn't it sad that the idea of twin clones of Hitler would run the world was the only interesting concept to the comic?
Qoheed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Qoheed

Comics to me are about being ludicrously over the top and completely unrealistic.

A comic that doesn't involve me going, "Huh? What just happened there?", or otherwise question my logic on what's possible or impossible, usually isn't something I really wind up getting into.

I watch bad movies as much as good ones. I listen to some bad music, and listen to good music. I watch some bad anime and TV series, while others are praised. And I read some ridiculous comics. The point is, I don't care --- I like them.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By King_Saturn
SilverZeo said:
"King Saturn said:
"SilverZeo said:

"

lol
"
Wasn't it sad that the idea of twin clones of Hitler would run the world was the only interesting concept to the comic?"
Yep... but sometimes when the writing and plot is real bad to a comic... you have to dwell on the artwork of the comic to bring you relief...

lol
SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SilverZeo
RedGhostman said:
"SilverZeo said:
I think that's the reason why 'Countdown to Final Crisis' failed, it was like a bad movie with bad writing that was trying to survive  on the special effects. And I can see that too much in some of the other titles. 
Final Crisis is the only one that I can think of that did have all that stuff in it. I agree, totally. "
I don't think Final Crisis counts, it is about the earth going to hell of course.

But wasn't comics like 'Lobo' is suppose to be self-parody of those kinds of comics involved with guns, cigars, BFGs, and epic fiery explosions.
John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By John Valentine

Fighting, Explosions, Death, Sex, Drugs, Rock and Roll.............. that's what make comics fun.

SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SilverZeo
John Valentine said:
"

Fighting, Explosions, Death, Sex, Drugs, Rock and Roll.............. that's what make comics fun.

"
Even with the comics that are about superheroes that should do the right thing? Like Superman or Spider-Man?