Comics And The iPad

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

What will Apple's new toy mean for the comics industry?

No Caption Provided
Whether we like it or not, print media is gradually transitioning onto a digital platform. Yes, that includes comic books. We have previously shown you guys graphic.ly, a program that allows people to read comic books digitally. Graphic.ly is not the only digital comic reader out there, either. With a host of different products and new ways to read comic books digitally, there has been a lot of speculation regarding how digital products will affect the comic book print medium in general. Today, was a pretty big day in the tech world in case you didn't know. Today was the official preview of Apple's new software, the iPad. With the announcement of the new product, came a swarm of opinions from throughout the comic book industry in support of the iPad. 

Apple CEO Steve Jobs
 Apple CEO Steve Jobs

With a seemingly incredible product like the iPad, there also comes speculation amongst fans as well as creators within the comic book industry questioning the future of print media. The breakthrough of this type of product no doubt pushes the envelope of tech development and will allow a new platform for programmers who are looking to bring comic books to a digital realm. 

"We, like all publishers, are excited about this new format, and all of the possibilities which come along with it. We have already experienced great success with our existing iTunes program, and are excited to see just how this new interface will fit into our company's overall digital strategy."
---from Neil Hankerson, Executive Vice President of Dark Horse Comics 

No Caption Provided
The general consensus from throughout the comic book industry seems to be (for the most part,) relatively positive. Whether the opinions of creators are an honest portrayal of their sentiments, or merely a reflection of an "adapt or die mentality," they should recognize that the iPad has the potential to expand the comic book reader demographic, especially when reading comics would become so accessible to iPad owners. 

"I think there's tremendous potential for the iPad to make comics available to a much wider audience than we're currently reaching. Paper comics will no doubt around for a long time to come, but I think this is an important step in making comics more accessible than they've ever been."
-- from Eric Stephenson, Publisher of Image Comics

With the introduction of the iPad  also comes the launch of iBook, like iTunes, only for books. iBook might just be a new way of reading books, not to mention comic books, considering the program provides reading books in full color. Eat your heart out, Kindle! Possibly the most interesting aspect of this is product is that it provides the user with the ability to read books in a high resolution color display, essentially making the experience feel like you are holding and reading an actual book. Can you imagine reading a digital comic that you can hold, like a book, in a high resolution color display? Did I mention that all iPhone and iTouch applications are compatible with the new iPad? That means that all those digital readers will be put to good use! I think Apple may have convinced me to make the move to digital. Check out the Video walk-through of the product! 

What do you guys think? Do you think you would give up print comics and make the jump to digital with an iPad? Do you the the release of this new product will change the way we read? 

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

want

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

I want an iPad really really really bad!

Fleonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By Fleonix

I can totally see myself in front of the chimney in a cold winter night, with a mug of hot cocoa, sitting in my comfortable ornate sofa, all while reading my X-Men comics in the iPad. How awesome, and what an active imagination. LOL jajajaja

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By danhimself

I'd like to have traditional comics and digital comics....traditional that I could read at home and digital so that I can take a few with me and not have to worry about messing up my traditional comics

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By No_Name_
@danhimself said:
" I'd like to have traditional comics and digital comics....traditional that I could read at home and digital so that I can take a few with me and not have to worry about messing up my traditional comics "
I agree with you. The thing that blows me away is the opportunity to read comics in high resolution. No more creased pages, either. This thing is amazing.
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By danhimself
@Babs said:
" @danhimself said:
" I'd like to have traditional comics and digital comics....traditional that I could read at home and digital so that I can take a few with me and not have to worry about messing up my traditional comics "
I agree with you. The thing that blows me away is the opportunity to read comics in high resolution. No more creased pages, either. This thing is amazing. "
I've read a few on my brother's 65 inch hd tv and it's amazing how much more detail you notice when you can zoom in on pages and what not
JackAs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By JackAs

This sounds intriguing. I might get this once it comes out. What's the total price of this?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danhimself

how great would it be if publishers started up digital subscriptions where you could subscribe to any comic you wanted and your iPad would download them automatically every Wednesday at midnight

JackAs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JackAs
@danhimself said:
" how great would it be if publishers started up digital subscriptions where you could subscribe to any comic you wanted and your iPad would download them automatically every Wednesday at midnight "
Indeed. It seems books are going out of style if this keeps up. Give or take a decade or two, we'd be at a whole new level.
RalfvdH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By RalfvdH

do want it...... dont need it....wont buy it.....

but still want it, though....

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By MysterioMaximus

Nothing will ever compare to having a tangable comic between your fingers.

Inertia..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Inertia..

I'll probably buy it, if i have enough money that is.

TheOmegaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#13  Edited By TheOmegaMan

Barf. There is nothing about this that appeals to me. A cold piece of equipment over a book, comic form or not? No thanks. Call me old fashioned, but I just don't like technology.
Roechi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Roechi

I would never give up traditional comics. but iPad...RAAAAWWWWHH! :D

Avatar image for secret_identity
Secret Identity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By Secret Identity

Hmmm interesting. i knew this product was due for release soon but i wasn't really expecting this. i was expecting a very thin tablet mac running on osx portable or something. This is a different direction.  

Now, i'm pretty vocal about my like and interest in the Digital comic. This is a good thing for that and i don't argue that it will increase the number of people reading digital comics. That said i'm not sure how much. I can't see this product being quite as popular as the iPod. Maybe but I think it's big appeal will be as a wok related tool. Students, for example would then be able to get hold of expensive text books at a much lower cost and not have to carry so much weight around with them. Print comics probably won't lose out too much with this product. Librarys probably will.

robbiesol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By robbiesol

Isn't this just a giant I-Phone?
deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Given the choice, I would stick with the actual, physical comic books. There might be some comics - some artwork - that would look better on an iPad. I would probably like to see either George Perez' work, or Jim Lee's or Alex Ross' or (fill in your favorite artists here). For instance, I liked the artwork for Ross' Justice, but his work tends to spread out across the fold. Babs mentioned something above about no folds and better picture resolution. I'll go with the full page without a fold, but if I'm watching a comic, to me that's usually called a cartoon - ha! - I can maybe see myself maybe reading a book this way, but not a comic book. Now, my wife wants to get one to cut down on the clutter of hardcover and paperback books around the house - I can see that. But, there is something unique to me about the experience of having a comic book in my hands and flipping the pages. It's going to take some time to adapt that experience to an iPad... 

uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By uncanny89
@Babs:
The idea of the book is a classic idea and its not been tampered with in well over 200 years, so why do we have to change it now? i very much doubt i will be buying one of these, i still prefer to have the physical book in my hand than on a tablet.
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By EdwardWindsor

i dont need it but i want it lol

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I hate these "all-in-one" products. Am I the only person on the face of the planet that still carries a notepad, a pen, and actual books... in my man-purse? (Yes, I do have a man-purse, but it's really big, so it doesn't look that awkward) 

Plus, why would I want to read a book on a backlit screen? It's exactly like trying to read a book on my old computer monitor. The idea of this is very intriguing, but it's nothing new. We've been using computerized tablets like this in the English department for two years now. They are not this sleek though... And don't have an "app" for (insert stupid app). 

I get riled up about this. You put "i" in front of any word and people go nuts and buy it, no matter what it does. The whole idea of the "iLife." It's a waste of money, even if the cheapest one started at $400. (I think that's what it said). Notepads still cost 50 cents, pens around the same, and books around $10. Lastly, books look cool on your shelf. 

timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By timrothsays

Absolutely useless

Avatar image for secret_identity
Secret Identity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By Secret Identity

@robbiesol: having just watched half the preview video. Yes, yes it is. It looks to me to be an iPod touch XL. 

I'd say this might make digital comic book readers more accessible (and so increase the number of people putting money into the industry (good thing)) but its pretty much a dead certainty that this will not be replacing the comic book. It's a good idea/concept but it has a long way to go before the codex book is replaced by something like this. 

and @uncanny89: you are correct. the codex book has always been there since they moved on from scrolls and loose leaf paper but all things come from there. The internet (in it's earliest form) was created as a resource sharing network that stopped researchers/developers from having to look through books and librarys for information. That has since evolved into what we have now. Same goes with the computer as we know it today. A place to store information that isn't a book. So yes we will always(in our life times at least) have the codex but these things need to happen to further the species. As i say it's a good thing but it will never REPLACE the book. You'll always be able to get your comics in a tangible form. This is just going to bring even more people to the world of comics that we love :)

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By johnny_spam

500 dollars? Screw that. I am nervous about digital comics if they ever fully attempt to go digital more people will most likely be stealing them online rather than buying them. How useful is that thing really? I want to know if anyone will be mugged for that thing when it comes out.
CaptHowdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 188

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By CaptHowdy

Personally I am shocked.  I thought for sure it was gonna be over a grand.  The price is actually bearable!  I have a Kindle though and love the e-ink display that is so comfortable on the eyes.  I can't see myself reading huge books on some backlit display for hours on end.  However, for short, full colour reads like comic books, this is basically what I was waiting for!

I am really interested to see what the iBook store is going to be like.  If DC gets on board and you can start buying subscriptions to their content I may need to go out and get one.  Unfortunately DC is so far behind the times with electronic comics it's ridiculous.  The only way to read DC comics is if you want to download them illegally.

Ideally what I would like is a subscription based service like how iTunes has podcasts.  You'd buy subscriptions at a fraction of a comic book subscription cost... and then when new issues come out they are automatically downloaded into your iBooks program ready to go!  Wednesdays would be awesome to wake up to!

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I dont think comics should transition out of traditional formats unless they can nolonger support the costs.
jdeluca2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jdeluca2

I'd still prefer physically holding a paper comic and owning my collection that way. For so long companies were going with the "smaller is better" approach when it comes to portable items like cell phones, Mp3 players, and Ipods, so it's kind of strange to see something like this. The complete opposite.  Don't get me wrong, I do want this, but Id miss burying myself in my comic collection like it was a pile of leaves.

CaptHowdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 188

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By CaptHowdy

I guess it all comes down to if you are a comic reader that has no interest in collecting them, like myself.  If it's a heckuva lot cheaper to read em, on this, I'll be happy.  I'd rather not have comics lying around my place... I just give em away anyway.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By No_Name_
@uncanny89 said:

" @Babs: The idea of the book is a classic idea and its not been tampered with in well over 200 years, so why do we have to change it now? i very much doubt i will be buying one of these, i still prefer to have the physical book in my hand than on a tablet. "

B/c we are running out of trees ;]
jmstump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jmstump

I'm an Apple Fanboy so I'll probably be picking this up.  I really like the idea about this for comics as I can use it in conjunction with my physical collection.  I'll continue to collect certain comics for quite some time, but I find there are more and more books in my pull list that I only want to keep current on, not collect.  For instance all of the GI Joe books I get I don't feel like I have to have physical copy of.  I just want them for the story, not for my love of putting things in plastic sleeves and organizing them.  Also I moved recently, which meant moving my collection.  It was hands down the hardest thing to move out of all my stuff and I know my collection is tiny in comparison to some peoples.

We've already seen a push for digital books with the Kindle, Nook, Sony e-Reader(s), etc.  I have a Sony PRS-505 and I love reading on it, I don't see any difference between that and a physical book.  That being said the iPad will give me eye strain, so I don't plan to read prose books on it.  The biggest reason I'm for digital books/comics is that with people buying less physical copies there should be less printing, which in theory is good for the environment.  

uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By uncanny89
@Babs:
really lol, there are ways around that i.e. use recycled paper or the companies could get their paper from sustainable forests etc.   

Also this would put a lot of comic book shops out of business if they went fully digital.  and i agree with what some people on here are saying, its mainly because they put an "I" infront of it that people are going crazy over it.  Also it would lead to even more piracy is that not wrong?   

And further to that you have to buy the thing at like $400 and then buy the comics on top of that, i cant seer this working for the comic book industry personally. 
Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nyogtha

I like having the physical thing as well. Plus, the Ipad looks like a glorified Iphone, great job their Apple design team! Way to go for originality! It isn't practical at all I think, and I really hope, I doubt it highly, but I really hope companies don't strictly go digital.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By SevanGrim

The ipad looks pretty sweet, and maybe i'll buy one in a couple of years (when my ipod and laptop are both a little older) but right now im good. 
 and while i do think comics will one day be digital, i think it'll take a few more decades to fully click over. I know i'm not quite willing to ditch tangible books, and pretty much every comics reader over 50 wont want to either. 
 bottom line is right now technology still isnt as sure as it needs to be for people to ditch these classic ways of doing things. There have been e-readers for a few years now, but not nearly enough of them have been moved to start a revolution. And we all know kids these days who('s parents) can afford an ipad wont be getting it to read books.  
 e-comics are a good way to read comics when a comic shop isnt available to you. I think that on these next few years, we may see a handful of "straight to digital" comics durring events, or if the comics in question need a push in sales, but im honestly not worried about loosing my comic shop anytime soon.

Sylar0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sylar0

Wow to have the ability to read your comics in HD that sounds so awesome and yet theres the side of me that says no stick with the traditional comics. I don't know it sounds cool but is it really worth it.

Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dro

I wonder if people shared the same sentimental thoughts for stone tablets when paper was introduced? Or movable type press? Or paper money? I'm not meaning this in a mocking way. I think it's a very interesting question. Are there always purists, averse to new technology? Have even the tools we take for granted as ancient today once faced the same criticism? I do wonder.

spiderpigbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By spiderpigbart

I'm good with my books on my PSP.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@aztek the lost: I love my ipod too, but I may never get into reading my books on a electronic device. It's not like I have my whole library of non-fiction with me at all times in case I feel like reading one chapter. I always carry two books on me, in case I feel like switching it up, but that's it.
PKMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PKMaximo

The way I see it now is our chance to revive anthology and subscriptions in comics.  Cut down on all the junk that gets printed and save printing for series that are digitally popular.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Media_Master

Cool idea! Just what well the price be?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By danhimself

I enjoy reading comics to much to care what format I'm reading them on...seriously look at the weekly comic book release thread and you'll see how much I enjoy reading comics....they could be printed on the inside of gum wrappers and as long as the story was good then I would read it

Avatar image for u_r_sofa_king_we_todd_did
U R Sofa King We Todd Did

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you should have warned me about posting the pics. I looked to fast and now I have a mess to clean up over hear. lol jk In all seriousness I cant wait to get this and the fact that it could hold comic books too is less like putting the icing on the cake and more like giving me the bakery with the cake.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By dane

holy balls of crap! it's a new iProduct which everyone from Apple seems iHyped out of their minds about! I probably need like... 5 of them!

venom32708

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By venom32708

next is an iMat so you can do everything with your feet