gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided
Here we go with another round of the Comic Vine mailbag. Will we be celebrating the Fourth of July here in the States but that won't stop the mailbag answers being delivered to you. Each week we will post some Q & A's from you guys because that's how much we love you all. You can ask questions to G-Man's Formspring page, Babs' Formspring page, our Twitter accounts (you can find ours on the front page), pm's or to make it even easier, just type in your questions in the comments below.

Who are your favorite DC villains?
Babs:
Ra's al Ghul and Talia al Ghul.
G-Man: I wanna say Sinestro but is he really a villain or simply misunderstood? Deathstroke should be cool but isn't always written that way. And things are always fun when the Joker shows up.

If you could have one of Superman's powers (just one) which would it be and why?
Babs:
Flying! Who wouldn't want to fly?
G-Man: Super strength can get you far. Maybe not as far as flying but it'll get you through the door...or wall. Does invulnerability come with strength? Probably not, huh?
 == TEASER ==
No Caption Provided
Do you think there should be only one Avengers team?
Babs:
I can understand the reason for having one primary Avengers team and then having the Secret Avengers because both the teams and the books are SO different. I really think the other books (Avengers) can be done away with.
G-Man: No. I loved the Avengers and West Coast Avengers. Why not spread them out? There's so many different "members," you can't have them all on one team. Perhaps a JLU or Marvel Super Hero Squad approach would work. All the members could sit around and be assembled for individual missions depending on whose talents and powers are needed.

In lieu with the current trend of Adapting Novels into Comics... is their a novel you would like to see get the Comic Treatment?
Babs: I think there are a lot of books that I love, but I don't know how many of those would translate well as comic books/graphic novels. Most people I know might find them boring. :) 
G-Man: I've always thought the Harry Potter books were itching to be turned into comics. I'm sure people would buy them. I think Clive Barker's massive Imagica would be a great comic. And as much as I'm digging the Dark Tower books, I can't wait for the adaptions to get closer to the books.

No Caption Provided
Do you prefer Larfleeze as a serious or comedic villain?
Babs:
He's pure comedy! In fact, he is so comedic that I often find it difficult to take him as a serious threat. 
G-Man: Comedic. We have plenty of serious and cool villains. Plus he reminds me a little of Phoney Bone.

What character, in your opinion has the most obnoxious costume?
Babs:
Huntress. I can't stand her costume. It's impractical and I'm not at all a fan of the purple.
G-Man: So many to choose from. Donald Duck because he doesn't wear pants. Wolverine's yellow and blue is just too yellow for my tastes. Namor's green speedos were always pretty bad. No pockets. Where's he gonna keep his keys? Actually, don't answer that.

Are you a Ghost Rider fan, and if so, what is your favorite Ghost Rider moment?
Johnny was a little before my time. His stunt suit always look bad to me. Dan Ketch was pretty cool in the beginning. The most memorable was the Dan's very first issue, becoming GR for the first time. Then he started appearing in every single Marvel book along with the Punisher and Wolverine.

No Caption Provided
Why do you think Aquaman is a joke? He is King of the sea?
I think a lot has to do with his portrayal on The Superfriends. That and maybe his costume. If he was King of the sea, there's no reason he should have to travel around on a giant seahorse. The way he's portrayed on Batman: The Brave and the Bold is actually pretty good. He's a big arrogant fighting machine who craves adventure.

Marvel or DC and why?
I don't understand why it has to be one or the other. I'll admit when I started reading, I bought more Marvel books. But probably the two characters I really got into were Spider-Man and Batman. They both have slightly different feels and I do enjoy both, as well as some books from other publishers. It shouldn't be one or the other. If I really had to choose, I'm sure you could figure it out.

Do you feel that cartoons based off of comics live up to the legend, or destroy it?
There's been some really good ones lately. It's a shame that Spectacular Spider-Man and Wolverine and the X-Men won't be returning. Both of those are great examples that they can take a concept and change things around for the cartoon and still do a great job. Brave and the Bold is a great cartoon that I'm sure people don't give a chance. It really captures the Silver Age feel of Batman. The recent Fantastic Four cartoon was a little hard to watch. 

No Caption Provided
Who do you feel, aside from any godly beings like Galactus, etc., who do you feel is, physically, the strongest character in the marvel universe? Maybe Hulk? Maybe Thor? Who do you feel it is, and what brought you to this conclusion?
Babs: This is a pretty long winded way to ask, "what Marvel character do you think is the strongest and why?" I would go with Thor over Hulk because Thor is powerful because of his mystical properties. Especially after he fought The Sentry during SIEGE. But hey, I could be wrong! 
G-Man: Hulk. "The madder he gets, the stronger he gets." In Secret Wars #4, he held up a mountain that weighed one hundred and fifty billion tons. Another of my favorite fights was in Incredible Hulk #316 where he fought Hercules, Iron Man, Namor and Wonder Man. Sure he was pure rage here (Banner and Hulk were separated, long story) but there shouldn't be a limit to his strength. 

Do you think we will ever see a "Collected Editions" part of the wiki?
Not completely sure I know what you mean. Are you talking about distinguishing between comic volumes and trade paperbacks? If so, that's something I've been pushing for for a while.

Favorite, Best and Worst Robin?
Damian's starting to become my favorite. Tim was the best. Worst probably goes to Stephanie Brown.

What did you think about The Killing Joke?
Babs:
Pretty awesome! :) Very sad though :(
G-Man: Simply a classic. Perhaps it'll make its way to a Trading Views video sometime.

No Caption Provided
What is your favorite JLA and Avengers incarnation?  
The original seven JLA was great and powerful. As for Avengers, I'm gonna go with West Coast Avengers (even though Cap wasn't part of the team).

Have you ever read any of the recent Star Wars Series from Dark Horse? Legacy, Knights of the Old Republic or Dark Times?  
Something about Old Republic just didn't hold my attention. I dig Legacy.

Shatterstar or Longshot? 
Longshot just because he had more personality in the beginning. His luck powers and the fact his bones were hollow made him cool. I liked his throwing blades but wasn't crazy about his hairstyle. Shatterstar could be a fierce fighter but never seemed to fully develop a great personality. And I never 'got' his double bladed swords.

You mentioned before that Alan Davis is one of your favorite artists. I'm getting into Excalibur at the moment and the Davis drawn issues are by far the best. Can you recommend any other books with Davis' art?
There is a Captain Britain trade by Davis that's good (and has Psylocke losing her eyes as well as Gatecrasher and Sat-Yr-9). ClanDestine is a great collection (I bought the beautiful hardcover version) and there's also Fantastic Four: The End. Now I want to read those again. He did some X-Men as well but I'm not sure if they've been collected or in which ones.

It seems that Havok, Polaris and Rachel Summers have fallen off the face of the Marvel Universe since War of the Kings. Are there any plans that you know of to bring them back? If not, what would you like to see done with them?
I won't lie, I never finished all the War of the Kings books. It's those pesky Marvel space books that just turn me off for some reason. The idea of them being part of the new Starjammers was cool. It's weird that they've been missing all the fun with Second Coming. They don't even know what happened to Nightcrawler. As much as I like them being in space, I'm not sure if it could hold my interest. If they came back to Earth though, they might get lost among all the other mutants. Funny that even though M-Day happened, there's still so many X-Men characters fighting for the spotlight.

No Caption Provided
How do you get money from the website, and is it a lot of money?
If you do a search here, you'll see Uncle Scrooge's Money Bin can be found. That's all the money we need. Staff have special access to it. 

I don't think it's proper etiquette to discuss how much money one makes. I am living comfortably but I don't have money coming out of my ears.

Who did the music for your unscripted reviews? 
Uhm...I sorta "borrowed" the music off Vinny's computer (from Giant Bomb). They're all original pieces but may have been inspired by familiar songs. 

Have you read Red Rocket 7 by Mike Allred?
Of course! I'll read anything by Mike Allred. I have the single issues (in the LP record size format) and the trade (in the 45" size format). I loved it.

What are some of the top, top, besty best, best trades that are worth picking up? Either Marvel or DC.
Hopefully we'll be answering this in our Trading Views videos. It really depends on what you like. The Grant Morrison Batman trades are great. Wednesday Comics is a keeper. I love my Madman Gargantua book. The Marvel black and white Essential books are great and cheap reads of the classic stuff. Jeff Smith's BONE is another great collection. Fables, Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina, I could keep going...  

No Caption Provided
Where have all the cowboys gone? 
I think they left in shame after watching the Jonah Hex movie.

That wraps up another edition. Keep sending your questions in through Formspring, pm's or even by posting questions in the comments below. Ask us more questions. Happy Fourth of July to those celebrating it and if you are, try not to blow off any parts of yourself.
leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1  Edited By leokearon

If you could write any comic, which one would you do and what would be your first story arc be?
Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

G-Man: Super strength can get you far. Maybe not as far as flying but it'll get you through the door...or wall. Does invulnerability come with strength? Probably not, huh?

In Spider-Man comics, maybe Ultimate or maybe both, it was shown that because of Peter's super strength he had strengthened skin and was more invulnerable than other people, so he could fall a few stories and not get hurt.  In the Ultimate comics his skin even broke a needle.

Personally I would want the invulnerability.  I wouldn't need to fly, or super strength, just be able to not worry about getting hurt, shot at, burned by running into a building on fire.

I too have read Red Rocket 7, but it was the small Readers Digest version.  My brother happened to find it at a game store that was selling obscure comics, and got it for me.

Also I think instead of doing away with the other Avengers books, I would just never repeat a member.  Like if Spider-Man is on the Avengers don't put him on New Avengers.  Use a different Avenger.
So Hawkeye and Spider-Man and Wolverine would be on the Avengers, and Luke Cage would be leading the New Avengfers, while other characters would fill in the spots on New Avengers and the Thunderbolts.  Like maybe I don't know, some obscure characters.

G-Man: So many to choose from. Donald Duck because he doesn't wear pants. Wolverine's yellow and blue is just too yellow for my tastes. Namor's green speedos were always pretty bad. No pockets. Where's he gonna keep his keys? Actually, don't answer that.

I heard that originally, in the old old comics, Namor had no speedo.
No Caption Provided
Is this true?  Or was it just for Marvels?
DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DH69

if you could be written into any comic just for a cameo what would you pick

swhorl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 33

#4  Edited By swhorl
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Magian

Thanks for answering my question.
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By longbowhunter

As an unapologetic  Aquaman fan I see no reason for him to take ALL the flack. For one he rules the seas, which cover 70% of the Earth! So based on percentage he rules the world. And two I love his orange suit. I've heard some people make the joke "It looks like a prison jumpsuit". In Keith Giffen's Aquaman mini from the 80's it was a prison suit. And he contiuned wearing it as a tribute to the revolution over the tyrant octopus creatures who had over thrown Atlantis. All I'm saying is I've read GREAT Aquaman stories. I feel because its such a trend in pop culture to make Aquaman jokes alot of people are going to over look some real decent underwater adventures.
mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7  Edited By mimschkin

Yay, you answered my Alan Davis question! I shall definitely be checking out those books, thank you!

buns134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By buns134

Favorite, Best and Worst Robin?
Damian's starting to become my favorite. Tim was the best. Worst probably goes to Stephanie Brown. 

Mine was answered THANK  YOU G-MAN AND BABS
Avatar image for c0l0nelp0pc0rn1
c0l0nelp0pc0rn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By c0l0nelp0pc0rn1

Push for them harder G-Man! Push with all your might! Yeah, that was kind of what I was saying.

DoubleFang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DoubleFang

If there was another Marvel vs DC which characters would you want as match ups.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By goldenkey

Are you a fan of the stop motion comics.  Do you think an ongoing show could work well on televison.  Back in the day The Maxx was pretty damn good, and Sam Keiths style can have a lot of detail in it.  What series would you like to see or is a there a particular long run you would prefer Like Bendis Ultimate Spider-man or even Bendis Daredevil.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck
@strangeling said:
" @G-Man 
Re: Alan Davis 
Don't forget "the Nail," and "Another Nail." "
Of course!! Those were superb as well!
doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By doordoor123

you didnt answer MY burning question. :(

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ch13696

I wouldn't mind seeing a Diablo comic. After reading the books, the story really caught my attention.

adoggez1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By adoggez1

whos the sicker villian joker or green goblin

CombatCraigFM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CombatCraigFM

That Star Wars question got me thinking. I always see the comics at my LCS but never pick them up. I'm a huge Star Wars (movie) fan (read some of the novels as a kid). Any of the comics worth picking up?

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Having seen Percy Jackson I don't understand why Namor and Aquaman movies can't work. I've never liked Namor's costume(s) - speedo or the black leather biker look. I get the green on Aquaman, but the orange? The blue costume just looked silly...    

jamdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jamdown

How much do comic writers and artist get paid (yearly), and how much do comic book critics (a.k.a. you guys) get paid (yearly) (If you do not want to answer this question then it is ok, I do not mean to offened any one) which one would you guys recomend as a job?
Roninidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Roninidas

@CombatCraigFM:
It really depends on what generation you are from and how big of a fan you are.  I am a decently big Star Wars Fan, I would not go as far as to say Fanatic, but I have a Slave Leia Fetish, lol... so that can kind of tell you where I am at when it come to the Saga.   

I've read quite a few of the Darkhorse Sar wars Trilogy. 

Knights of the Old Republic takes place right before the Video Game of the same name.  This is probably my favorite current Star Wars Series.   Its a fun read.  I enjoy. 

Star Wars Dark Times is pretty good. It takes place in between Revenge of the Sith and a New Hope. 

Star Wars Legacy is pretty good too.  It takes place generations after Return of the Jedi.  It follows the exploites of Luke's Great Great Grandson or something too that effect.   

These are the Top Three current titles.  If you want a really good read, The Clone Wars was sweet.   There are 9 TPB Volumes and these books are what the movies should have been. 

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#20  Edited By The Impersonator

There were hints about Apokalips being addressed in Season 9 of Smallville. In Season 10 finale, Granny Goodness appeared. Will Darkseid appear in Season 10? If so, will the actor go with the same appearance just like in the comics? 

ZaberCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 27

#21  Edited By ZaberCat

creepy Alice and Doomsday  are DC villains

X-Ray could read anything through the human body. Maybe it will help scientists prevent diseases and sickness from leading the death or life-threatenting.  X-Ray would be good to scan anyone who is human or not.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DH69

who makes the quests? and do they take suggestions?

Avatar image for batmanbeyond234
batmanbeyond234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By batmanbeyond234

Sorry if this was asked already but what character from DC would you have liked to have a spotlight episode in JLU?