• 74 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Holy moly! The new year is here, and it's Friday, so it's time for another Community Star award! This week, we honor a person who is on the forums quite a bit. In addition, he recently became a moderator of the site for all his hard work. The first Community Star for 2012 is none other than Static Shock!

Yes... you won... look excited.
Yes... you won... look excited.

Static Shock is one of those old timey Comic Vine users who can tell you about the days before we had trivia, quests, and more importantly, a Community Award. He's amassed over 40,000 forum posts (one for every year he's been here), and a lot of his posts come from the magical land of the battle forums.

Static has also done a bit of work in the wiki department as well. If you check out the Captain Atom page, you'll notice it's really in depth and put together incredibly well. Why? Well because Static worked his butt off on the page. He has almost 5,000 points worth of work on the page, actually, which is half of his total wiki points. Yowzas!

Also, he's put in 285 points worth of work in Major Force, a character I didn't know had 285 points worth of info. Lastly, he also has 456 points on the Quantum Field, which ties into Captain Atom. Now, I know what the Quantum Field is! Anyway, we've reached the part of the Community Star where I find out all the dirty details about our viner in my award-winning, hard-hitting interview.

Inferiorego: Hi Static Shock! How does it feel to be the first Community Star of the new year?

Static Shock: Being community star feels good. I wasn't exactly expecting such an award, but it's good to be recognized for something. I mean, I did do something worth recognizing, right?

IE: I'd assume so. Sometimes, I just go to the forums and just randomly pick someone's name that recently posted. How do you think Red L.A.M.P. won? Speaking of forums, you've hit 40,000 posts on the forums. Where do you think you've spent the most time (General Discussion, Off-Topic, etc) in the forums and what are you usually doing?

SS: Most of my posts are in the battle forums. I'm normally participating in debates. Nowadays, I don't debate as much. I tend to let the other Viners have fun with it while being the 'referee.'

Captain Atom #8 (Cropped)
Captain Atom #8 (Cropped)

IE: I only hope you wear the striped shirt while doing so. You have almost 5,000 wiki points on the Captain Atom page. What do you like most about the character?

SS: What I liked most about Captain Atom is the fact that was different from most other DC powerhouses. He's often compared to Superman, both in comics and in animated films and cartoons, but he wasn't as 'perfect' as Superman was. He had flaws, and the same time, he wasn't as charismatic. His power over the Quantum Field was both a gift and curse. In exchange for nearly unlimited power potential, he was catapulted almost twenty years forward in time, losing his wife and being unable to experience the childhood years of his children, who are now as old as he is. In his first ongoing with Cary Bates as the writer, a lot of emphasis was put on his personality, his inner demons, as well as personal life. James Robinson did somewhat of the same for Captain Atom's second feature in Action Comics during the New Krypton arc. Another thing that I like about Captain Atom is his versatility. He's like a Swiss army knife because the Quantum Field gives him the ability to do a lot of different things. On top of all of this, I like the fact that his underrated.

IE: Completely agree... which is a first. How do you feel about his current book in the New 52?

SS: The current book.... Man. Well, no disrespect to J.T. Krul, but I think he's overdoing it as far as his character goes. Captain Atom looks and operates more like Dr. Manhattan. The only difference is Atom still retains his personality. I found this change to Captain Atom a bit ironic, since it was Manhattan's character that was based off of Captain Atom (the Charlton version, according to Alan Moore, but still). I would have preferred the character to remain the same as he was before the New 52, but with a few tweaks here and there. But, as far as the book, I don't completely hate it. It's decent, and I like that Captain Atom is using his powers in a lot of creative ways. In the last issue, Captain Atom defeated a large number of fighter pilots by turning their jets into feathers. Had it been the original Captain Atom, he would have blown them to bits with energy blasts (like he did against Russian fighter pilots decades ago). A lot of other things regarding his powers don't make sense. If you read RazzaTazz's blogs on the science of Captain Atom, it should shed some light on what's bad science, what's good science, and what's comic science.

IE: You sure know a lot about Catpain Atom. Speaking of characters you may or may not love, you have 5 points on the Spider-Man page. Do you remember what you did on that page?

SS: To be honest, I don't really remember messing with that page. I think I might have changed something there because someone was using invalid info on Spider-Man in a debate. LOL.

IE: You've been on this site for a few years now. How did you find this site in the first place?

SS: I've been here for four years, and it was the battle forums to attracted me to the site. I didn't know about it until I googled some things on Black Panther. Then, Comicvine came up in the search. Never looked back since then.

IE: What was the first thing you remember doing?

SS: I think the first thread I posted in was a three-way battle between Black Panther, Captain America, and Wolverine. Emphasis on 'I think.' Four years is a long time. LOL.

No Caption Provided

IE: On a scale of 1-10, rate the new STATIC SHOCK series and tell us why you love or hate it.

SS: On a scale of one to ten, the new Static Shock is worthy of an eight. He's still the same, powerful Static from before the New 52 with the same origin and everything, but within a new city and with new villains. He still has a lot of the same capabilities, as well as some new tricks with his powers. I guess I just like the fact that they kept him the way he was. His new costume owns, and the fact that Hardware is funding his new hideout is a plus. The only issue is the story. It's strange. I'm trying to figure out how and when his sister, Sharon, was cloned. But, I'm hoping it's explained as the story progresses.

IE: Now onto the hard hitting questions. Who is better at predicting the future, the Mayans or Hollywood films?

SS: Hollywood films, definitely. Movies have a tendency to touch base on things that people don't normally think about. I'm not just talking about things referring to the end of the world, but things in reference to conspiracies and such. The Illuminati is a perfect example. People think it's not real, but I don't think directors and screenwriters are throwing that concept into their movies for nothing. They know something we don't. But, that's just me. There's even a deeper, more spiritual meaning behind movies such as Transformers that many people wouldn't even catch on to. But, that's a discussion for another day.

IE: That being said, will you see Jaws 19 in 3D when it comes out in 2015, or will you be way too busy riding around on your hoverboard?

SS: I didn't even watch the first Jaws. No disrespect to Steven Spielberg, though. But, I do hope, for Robert Zemeckis' sake, that hoverboards will be around by then.

IE: How disappointed were you when you realized hoverboards weren't real? It was the ONLY thing on my Christmas list the year the film came out.

SS: I was two years old when the movie came out, and I probably didn't watch it until I was about four or five. At the time, I didn't really think about how cool those things were. I was more focused Marty McFly's Nikes. Those shoes were hot. Over twenty years after the films release, I don't even have enough money to afford the shoes. Oh, well.

IE: Those Nike's were fantastic. Finally a shoe for me... one that laces itself up. Man, I'm lazy. What are your New Year's Resolutions and how soon before you give up on them?

SS: My New Years resolution is to make the President's list at school. I don't think I've be giving up on this one, though. I was close last term, so we'll see happens this time around.

IE: What movie has you most excited this summer and why?

SS: I'm hyped for the Dark Knight Rises. I feel that Bane is the perfect pick for the villain, and I can't think of anyone more pivotal than him in the final film of the series. I just want to see the battle between him and the Bat. That's all I'm waiting for.

No Caption Provided

IE: Will Dark Knight Rises or The Avengers make more money at the box office this summer?

SS: The Dark Knight Rises will make more. That much is certain. After the success of the last film ($1,001,921,825 at the box office), the Dark Knight Rises should be the most anticipated film of the year.

IE: How much will it make?

SS: I know this is a bold statement, but I'm crazy enough to say that the movie will make double the amount that the Dark Knight made, at the most.

IE: Your plane is going down over the Atlantic and you have 5 minutes left to live. What do you do?

SS: In five minutes, I would go to the Mile High Club with the most attractive-looking woman on the plane (probably a stewardess), and then repent for my sins just after that. Never been a minute man, but I would try.

IE: I'd eat all the cracker packets, then try to whistle. I heard it's impossible. How many gigawatts does it take to create the power of love?

SS: A lot, coming from both a man and a woman. Let me just say that it takes a lot of time and effort to generate that much power.

IE: I think Huey Lewis can do it with ease. Any last words for the other viners?

SS: I'm better than all of you. You mad? Just accept it.

IE: Ok... Any POSITIVE last words for the other viners?

SS: Don't take my last comment seriously. LOL. I'm only kidding.

HUGE thanks to Static Shock for taking the time to be interviewed, and a HUGE congrats to him for winning the Community Star award! We'll see you guys next week! Keep your eye out for the voting thread on Tuesday!

Avatar image for insheepsclothes
insheepsclothes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By insheepsclothes

congrats!!!!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Outside_85

Gratz

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Congrats.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Billy Batson

Congrats. Nominated you.
BB

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By ReVamp

Congrats! *Insert R. Kelly joke here*

nyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By nyo

Oh, man, congrats! :D

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By doordoor123

I remember he was really mean to me way back. Well congratS to him anyways!

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Congrats :)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Lvenger

Congrats Static, way to go!

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
Hail to the king.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mercy_

Awesomesaucee! Congrats, man!

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By KidSupreme

Congrats Static Shock! Can I harvest yoour DNA, and make clones of you! LoL

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

Congrats Dude!!!

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By cyberninja

Congrats. 

BatClaw89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BatClaw89

What the hell is this? o_0

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Right on! ::golf clap::

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Static Shock

Thanks, everyone.

@BatClaw89 said:

What the hell is this? o_0

Is there a problem?

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By Samimista

Congrats Static! :)

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lance Uppercut

Another example of I.E's superior taste in winners. Congrats.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By ragdollpurps

@Lance Uppercut said:

Is that why all the good people are winning? Because he's been choosing them?

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lance Uppercut

@ragdollpurps said:

@Lance Uppercut said:

I hope so.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#22  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Congratz Static woo whoo *goes back to hunting for his Spider-Man: The Other TPB* grrr where the hell is it.

darth bul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By darth bul

congrats

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By karrob

@insheepsclothes said:

congrats!!!!

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Static Shock

@ragdollpurps said:

@Lance Uppercut said:

Not exactly. People are actually voting for those that they think are worthy of the award.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ragdollpurps

@Static Shock said:

@ragdollpurps said:

@Lance Uppercut said:

Not exactly. People are actually voting for those that they think are worthy of the award.

I think they just ran out of flavors of the week, so now all the people who have been deserving of it for a while are getting their due recognition.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@ReVamp said:

Congrats! *Insert R. Kelly joke here*

Nobody likes getting peed on :(

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lance Uppercut

@ragdollpurps said:

@Static Shock said:

@ragdollpurps said:

@Lance Uppercut said:

I think they just ran out of flavors of the week, so now all the people who have been deserving of it for a while are getting their due recognition.

Yes

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Decoy Elite

Congrats Static! :D

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Another well deserved winner , Congrats Static

kheranlord12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kheranlord12

well done

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Video_Martian

Congrats Static Shock

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#33  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

It won't let me quote or reply because I'm on my fancy iPad.... Anyways. There is the voting thread, but when I started doing this, about a year ago, the one thing I didn't want the award to turn into was a popularity contest, so although people do vote every week, I ultimately choose the winner, but I really do take the votes into consideration. There are still a few users that I want to have win. People that really work hard here, but I usually go with who I think is the most deserving out of the people in the voting thread. Some of the people in the thread are those I'm not familiar with, so that's why I ask you guys to post links, so I know why you think they're worthy of winning the award. This is by far my favorite thing I write here on the vine, and I want each week to count. The staff, programmers, and everyone at Whiskey Media get the credit they deserve, but it's the users that truly make these sites great and the deserve recognition. Um... Vote for me in 2020.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#34  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

congrats :)

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Congrats Static.I would have voted for you but I thought you already won.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Congratulations!

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Congrats!

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Izaiah

Congrats :D

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mikethekiller

Congrats static.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheGoldenOne
Congrats :)
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By InnerVenom123

Congrats!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By Decept-O

Congrats, Static Shock.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#43  Edited By The Impersonator

Congrats!

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By moywar700

Well done

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Congrats!

kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kiss_lamia

Congratulations :D

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Static Shock
@ragdollpurps said:

That could be the case.
KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By KRYPTON

Good job duder

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points