Since he first joined Comic Vine in June of 2008, Liberty has worked very hard on our wiki database and as a result, he has accumulated 131,821 total points- and that is just one reason why he deserves to be this week's Community Star. Liberty is top editor on some of Comic Vine's most popular character pages. He is second only to Methos as a top editor on Guy Gardner's page with 4,647 points and is the number one contributor for the Joker's right hand girl, Harley Quinn's page with 1,890 points! I should also mention that both those pages are incredibly well organized and well written!
While he's definitely made some awesome wiki contributions, that's not all he's done for Comic Vine. Back in September, Liberty decided to garner the votes of all of Comic Vine to build Comic Vine's (hypothetical)
Ultimate Greatest Superhero Team! It took him a full month to come up with a list and to tally the votes of members of the community- one vote per person. After a full month of waiting and counting, and 325 community votes later, Liberty built Comic Vine's dream team. The list (from top to bottom) was organized by greatest number of votes to least number of votes, beginning with Batman (Bruce Wayne) with seventeen votes, and ending with Zatana, who was not expected to make the list but did with ten total votes. It is this kind of interaction with the community that is really cool- tallying up everyone''s dream team. You can view the full list for yourself here!== TEASER ==
Liberty has also completed 184 user reviews for Comic Vine. One of my personal favorites of his reviews also happens to be his most recent; a throw back issue; Crisis on Infinite Earths #8. In it, he highlights exactly why he feels Barry Allen should have stayed dead, based on his death.
Liberty also highlights the importance of character deaths and explains that if they are to remain impactful, that character deaths need to be taken more seriously.
The death of a superhero or a long standing villain need to be done right. In other words a death in a comic should be used for something other than. " I want to make this bad guy look tough/merciless...Who can I kill?" It is by far my biggest pet peeve. They have only done it correctly a few times. There should be a set of rules. Like...
- Is this a good story? (Ice, Yolanda, Anima, Baby Wildebeest, Bushido, Dolphin, Trickster, Big Barda, Mister Miracle, Tasmanian Devil.)
- Is this good for the over all plot of the story? (Johnny Quick, Maxima, Rocket Red, Steel, Spoiler)
- How will this effect the universe in the long term? (Elongated Man, Hawk(s), Dove(s), Guy Gardner, Firestorm, Hawkgirl/Hawkman(s), Triplicat Girl)
- Will this character stay dead?, For How long? and Is it worth it? (Captain America, Batman, Superman, Hal Jordan, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Superboy)
- Does the character have a protege to take up the mantle? (Blue Beetle)
- Is the character/powers of the the character being used properly or are they just being put out a sacrificial lambs? (Crimson Fox, Amazing Man, Kilowog)
I don't think I could have said it better myself. You can find his review for issue #8 of Crisis on Infinite Earthshere. Liberty has also reviewed some of my personal favorite books, Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. You can check out all of Liberty's reviews here. Feel free to browse though Liberty's profile and check out all the awesome contributions that he's made to Comic Vine! Write on his wall! Show him some love! The dude deserves it.