Comic Vine 2.0 features discussion!

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Iron Apollo

What features would you add to Comic Vine?!?

Copy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Copy

To be able to search for a thread without looking through so many pages.

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Iron Apollo

Copy says:

"To be able to search for a thread without looking through so many pages."

yeah that would be a good one, especially if this thread has alredy been created, I didn't see it, but I could spend hours looking.

Copy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Copy

Yea, I hate that when you want to see what people said in a thread that you want to make but its already been made, but you have to look for it like hours trying to find it.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Ms. Invisible

I don't think a thread has been created, though LAMP did say to discuss new features. So why not create this thread? Yay!

Yes, a search feature for forums would be nice.

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Iron Apollo

Ms. Invisible says:

"I don't think a thread has been created, though LAMP did say to discuss new features. So why not create this thread? Yay!Yes, a search feature for forums would be nice."

yeah that why I created it, you know what they say about great minds?

Copy says:

"Yea, I hate that when you want to see what people said in a thread that you want to make but its already been made, but you have to look for it like hours trying to find it."

yeah and then someone finds it and is like why did you create this thread, but I digress.

I think it would be cool if in creating pages there was the option of Race. Not black or white, But Human, Kree, Skrull, Shi'ar, Kryptonian, as they are each a race, not a team.

Cryo-Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Cryo-Wolf

I don't know about specifics, but I'm all about profiles. Maybe some updates on that?

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Iron Apollo

Cryo-Wolf says:

"I don't know about specifics, but I'm all about profiles. Maybe some updates on that?"

Like a View count on peoples My Vine page? I think I saw you said that somewhere, maybe it was someone else?

Cryo-Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cryo-Wolf

Iron Apollo says:

"Cryo-Wolf says:
"I don't know about specifics, but I'm all about profiles. Maybe some updates on that?"
Like a View count on peoples My Vine page? I think I saw you said that somewhere, maybe it was someone else?"

Oh, lol, no, that was indeed my doing. Yeah, like, everytime someone views your page, it goes up.

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Iron Apollo

Cryo-Wolf says:

"Iron Apollo says:
"Cryo-Wolf says:
Like a View count on peoples My Vine page? I think I saw you said that somewhere, maybe it was someone else?"

Oh, lol, no, that was indeed my doing. Yeah, like, everytime someone views your page, it goes up."

I think that would be cool, kind of a popualrity contest, but the vine has elements of that already.

I think a View count on My Vine pages is a good idea!

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ms. Invisible

Cryo-Wolf says:

"Iron Apollo says:
"Cryo-Wolf says:

Oh, lol, no, that was indeed my doing. Yeah, like, everytime someone views your page, it goes up."

I'm kind of "Meh" about that as it's not really a MySpace page, but if it goes up then I'm fine with it.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ms. Invisible

Actually, I was thinking of maybe incorporating a toolbar just above the text box in which you type your post. It would erase confusion on how to post pictures and format text. Also, I think it would get rid of any HTML screw ups, as it's happened before.

This kind of toolbar with the blog section would be cool.

Cryo-Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cryo-Wolf

Maybe that would make it easier to change to italic or different colors and sizes? I like that, too.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vrakmul

Cyro Your back! I MISSED YOU! Gives cyro a big hug. Any ways I would like a search feature. More options in posts High lighting and all that fancy stuff other forums have

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#16  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Iron Apollo says:

"I think it would be cool if in creating pages there was the option of Race. Not black or white, But Human, Kree, Skrull, Shi'ar, Kryptonian, as they are each a race, not a team."

Those can all be concept pages. There's one for Skrull already for example.

Avatar image for akira_overdrive
Akira Overdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Akira Overdrive

Buckshot says:

"Iron Apollo says:
"I think it would be cool if in creating pages there was the option of Race. Not black or white, But Human, Kree, Skrull, Shi'ar, Kryptonian, as they are each a race, not a team."

"

So can you create a concept page on Black Superheroes?

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#18  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

If you want to.

Akira Overdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Akira Overdrive

Cool,im gonna do it!

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Iron Apollo

Buckshot says:

"Iron Apollo says:

"

Do you think the team page for the "Kree" should be changed from a team page to a concept page.

Also and maybe this is a feature that should be added, but you can't add characters to a concept page, like you can a team page. On the Kree team page you can list the characters much easier than if you than if you were to list links to each on on the Concept page for Skrull

So maybe not the ability to create Race pages, but the ability to list characters on a concept page the way you can on a team page.
Post Edited:2007-11-16 23:45:03

Akira Overdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Akira Overdrive

Gambler says:

"Gambler, Buckshot, and Sling Shot made moderators. *BOW DOWN*"

Fa Real?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Gambler, Buckshot, and Sling Shot made moderators. BOW DOWN

Jake Malcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jake Malcom

aility to search your om for certain ones

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

I'm all for tools/ideas that will make the message boards better. Search is a good one. Organizing important threads from the less important ones is also important.

Kiara_Sullivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kiara_Sullivan

Gambler says:

dies laughing Your kidding right?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Kiara Sullivan says:

"Gambler says:

dies laughing Your kidding right?"

o_O grrrrr :p

Kiara_Sullivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kiara_Sullivan

Gambler says:

"o_O grrrrr :p"

Oh go chew on a shoe, you over sized bully :-P

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Kiara Sullivan says:

"Gambler says:
"o_O grrrrr :p"

Oh go chew on a shoe, you over sized bully :-P"

Bully? You attacked me :p

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Gambler says:

I agree with Buckshot, but I've never heard of the other two. :p

Copy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Copy

Gambler says:

Yay for buckshot and sling shot. But who the hell is this gambler you speak of? :P
Post Edited:2007-11-17 11:43:57
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Let's keep this topic on subject everyone.

Fantasma Ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fantasma Ghost

Red L.A.M.P. says:

"I'm all for tools/ideas that will make the message boards better. Search is a good one. Organizing important threads from the less important ones is also important."

Agreed.

Parasite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Parasite

I am against the use of how many times your page has been veiwed conept.

I feel that this would only fuel a popularity contest where new users to the vine would be intmidated.

Maybe Moderators with duristiction over one specific topis, e.g Red L.A.M.P would look after Off topic threads, Captain Casscader would take care of RPG threads. The moderators would be able to chnage the class of thread if it was wrong, as in if it was an RPG thread in Off Topic it could be changed.

I also favour the idea of getting rid of the post count. I think it acts as a measure of the whos who on the vine which is not nesacerilly correct. I do recognise that people liked to be recognised for contributing to the vine, but i feel that this can be done in other ways. Naybe points could be awarded from Modertors to Vine users who they feel have added most to the vine. Please let me know what you think of my ideas.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I say make Buckshot a moderator.

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By acewasp23

i like the idea of being able to search for threads, it would make posting threads a lot easier and would also bring back some of the older threads that keep getting re-made.

i like the idea of having a counter on user vines to see how many times it was viewed by other viners.

i would like another way to see who is online with out having to go to the forums page or maybe even something that lets you know when the last time that user logged on.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Post Deleted.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NiteFly

Here are some ideas that I have been chewing on for the past year:

1. Have some checkbox that could be set when editing a team page to identify the current roster of active members. Some teams have a whole lot of people and the ability to glance at the list to see who is currently on the team would be handy.
  2. Also it would be cool if we could alias those members so they link to the correct profile as they would normally, but using the name they used at the time they were a member rather than whatever name is currently on the bio. For instance, on the New Warriors page the link to Robbie Baldwin's page would be called Speedball, but on the Thunderbolts page his link would be Penance.
  3. Along those same lines, it would be cool to be able to select the image displayed on the team page for a particular character to reflect their costume/appearance at the time. The same example as above could apply.
  4. In agreement with the suggestion of having some kind of race page, or a change in the rules where races are not teams. I have personally worked on several pages as concepts, and have been vocal about not liking them having team pages (because I believe for the casual comic book reader or comic newbie this could cause confusion, and because I think it clutters up character pages).
  5. The ability to search the forums.
  6. Preference options within our own pages where we can set up which forums we want to see and which we would like to hide. For instance, someone who is hear primarily for RPGs may have absolutely no interest in the Delete/Combine pages stuff or the Battle stuff, and someone who is a more active contributer may have no interest in RPGs or whatever. Some people may just want to see it all which is also cool.
  7. The ability to lock (or request a lock from the mods) on a specific area of a particular page. This is not something that would need (or be desired) to use much, but as with the nature of a wiki vandalism (not even with malicious intent, just ignorance) may occur. If someone or someones insist on adding crappy images to a particular gallery, add powers that don't belong to a character, fiddle with team memberships that don't belong, or if RobinLover4Ever wants to keep adding every conceivable power to Dick Greyson's bio it might make sense to lock the offending section of that page for a short period so that things can cool down, and we can avoid a particular section of a page from being consistently polluted.
  8. The addition of an area on edit pages where we could prominently display notes to other members. Occasionally there are obvious and common misconceptions about a particular character or team, and it would be nice if there were somewhere we could put notes for other members of the vine about why a particular change should not be made to a specific bio. This could prove especially useful for newer members. Someone who just joined this week was probably not around last December or January for a particular forum discussion where some conclusion or compromise was made, and this way when they edit a particular bio they would catch the note and know why not to make a particular change.
  9. A new Trade Paper Back page where we could attach trades and other collections to a particular volume (similar to the way issues are attached to a volume). Some volumes have had numerous trades (or not) put out collecting issues and it would be cool to look at a volume (perhaps even a separate tab with a volume) to determine the different ways in which a book has been released by its publisher.
  10. A new tab in character pages for TV/Movie appearances. The bios of some characters are already pretty long and it would be nice to have a specific page where we could move such information. Spidermanbuff37 wants to add information to his already long page about the '67 series, spiderman and his amazing friends, the 90's cartoons, the early spiderman movies, the current series of movies, etc. Since this place is devoted more to comic books than anything else, it feels to me like that information isn't really needed on character's main page.
  11. I believe my last suggestion would make things easier to navigate and use . This one's along those lines, but I don't know how people would like it. It may be a useful organizational tool to have a separate tab on a character's page devoted purely to describing their powers. Some characters practically have novels for bios. Some have powers descriptions that are a full page on their own. They already have the icons on the side of their page identifying which powers they possess, and with a separate page for their powers we could keep their front pages devoted more to their origin and story and have a special place to elaborate on the history and nature of their abilities.
  12. We already have a tab on character's pages with pages of information on their friends and families, enemies, and team affiliations, what about a new page for alternate universe versions of specific characters (structured similarly to the other pages I mentioned). The original stated purpose of the vine was to untangle the web weaved by comic books, this way we could associate particular characters together in another meaningful way. Beast's page could have an association with Dark Beast, Brute, Shadow Beast, and any other Hank McCoy that ever existed that is worth having their own page.
  13. A modification the the powers box of a page that would indicate power level in an obvious, but non-intrusive way. There could be a radio button on the edit page of a character with only a couple meaningful levels. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of: Peak Human (which means what it sounds like), Super-Powered, or God-Like. This could be indicated by something like an icon, separate color, or by words. This way we have a metric for comparison other than the popularity contest that is the power rankings (Not that I don't think they have their place, they are fun).

For instance, many of batman's "powers" are not super, but are within the limits of normal humans (many are perfected to the point of peak human abilities), and they could be labeled as such. I'm thinking three separate levels: Peak Human, Super-human, and then perhaps something to indicate that they are god-like (although I am not a fan of that particular name). In this way we could distinguish, with a quick glimpse of a character's power list, that superman and hulk's strength level is the highest tier, while colossus or juggernaut are super-human. Other examples could be that batman's intellect is peak-human level (I have never been led to believe it is superhuman), but Kid Omega's is Super-Human, or that Wolverine's senses are super-human, while the Watcher's senses were the god-like tier.

Post Edited:2007-11-17 13:43:30
Post Edited:2007-11-17 13:46:09
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Maybe we make it a rule that you have to of been here longer then two weeks and have at least 100 points before you can suggest what needs to be changed.

Cryo-Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cryo-Wolf

Holy Cannoli. 'Tis pinned.

And I agree with Gambler. Like, seriously.

Parasite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Parasite

Gambler says:

"Maybe we make it a rule that you have to of been here longer then two weeks and have at least 100 points before you can suggest what needs to be changed."

i think it is this kind of attitude that intimidates new users to this website.

I realise that you have an opinion, but i feel that some people on the vone can be very condesending towards people who have not been here for aslong as they have.

Cryo-Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cryo-Wolf

Well, ok, I hope no one thinks I'm intruding on this argument, but some new people on this site think that they're Gods. It's not "this kind of attitude", it's "this kind of truth."

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By acewasp23

Gambler says:

"Maybe we make it a rule that you have to of been here longer then two weeks and have at least 100 points before you can suggest what needs to be changed."

lets put it to a vote.

I agree who is with gambler on this. lol

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By acewasp23

Cryo-Wolf says:

"Well, ok, I hope no one thinks I'm intruding on this argument, but some new people on this site think that they're Gods. It's not "this kind of attitude", it's "this kind of truth.""

yeah plus some new people on this site are here for 2 or 3 weeks and never come back.

Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44  Edited By Spectrum

Yeah search engine for the threads would be mocho goodo

I like the whole waiting for people to saty on a while, but then what can they do, for the couple of weeks, there not allowed to do anythign, are we just talking about giving opinoin or invovlement in the vine as a whole?

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By acewasp23

Spectrum says:

"I like the whole waiting for people to saty on a while, but then what can they do, for the couple of weeks, there not allowed to do anythign, are we just talking about giving opinoin or invovlement in the vine as a whole?"

think that was more of a joke.

lote of people like the search engine

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Parasite says:

"Gambler says:

i think it is this kind of attitude that intimidates new users to this website.

I realise that you have an opinion, but i feel that some people on the vone can be very condesending towards people who have not been here for aslong as they have."

Everyone on this site was new at one point. The new users of today are treated no differently then we were back in the day. Most of the time people welcome the new comers with a warm greeting. Like I said, you've been here a week, so how can you accurately gage weather or not new comers are intimidated? If you go to any other forums, they have tags like, Elite User, or 4 stars compared to a new comers 0. Its something to strive for. it doesn't matter if you have one post or 20000, if you say something dumb, or act like an ass, people are going to let you know. I'm sorry you feel intimated, but thats really not my problem now is it.

Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By Spectrum

acewasp23 says:

"Spectrum says:
"I like the whole waiting for people to saty on a while, but then what can they do, for the couple of weeks, there not allowed to do anythign, are we just talking about giving opinoin or invovlement in the vine as a whole?"
think that was more of a joke. lote of people like the search engine "

Oh right, my bad,

(G isnt really getting on with the parasite guy is he?)

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By acewasp23

Spectrum says:

"Oh right, my bad, (G isnt really getting on with the parasite guy is he?)"

Don't know, probably. lol

acewasp23

Forum Posts