• 50 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Right now, the hot property, aside from connected universe franchises, is quickly becoming television shows based on comic books. Currently, fans can check out shows like The Walking Dead, Flash, Arrow, The Strain, Agents of SH.I.E.L.D., Constantine, and others I'm probably missing like Gotham. On the horizon, even more are coming out as well. Comic book fans are in a pretty special age of television right this second.

Spoiler Alert: Dale is bald and uses that hat to hide it! Also, he's dead.
Spoiler Alert: Dale is bald and uses that hat to hide it! Also, he's dead.

With so many television shows based on comic properties currently airing and set to come out, many people are wondering when the comic book bubble will burst. I say we're not even close. We're so far from that happening. I really think we're about head into a golden age of comic book television. Am I way too hopeful? Probably. Am I way out of line for thinking like this? Not at all. Let's take a trip back to the magical world of 1998.

Back in 97, comic book films were seen as risky endeavors by fans after Batman Forever and Batman & Robin got all neon and filled with "hilarious" puns about temperature (sadly, "Ice to see you" wasn't one of them. That was McBain). Batman had two incredibly brilliant movies but couldn't keep the formula going, which is the formula of putting big name actors in a movie as villains and slopping together a plot that consists of "bad guys be bad, good guys be beating them." That saddens me. Let's listen to some Seal.

During that time, Marvel already had a film in the works based off one of their C-List heroes, Blade. Technically, it was New Line Cinemas, not Marvel. They took a risk by taking a step away from the source material and just grabbing the essence of a character. They turned this rated R film into something a bit more realistic (aside from the vampires and super-powers) and made it gritty. And because it was a much less expensive film, compared to those Batman movies, it made some money, enough to get a couple of sequels. This was really the beginning of the contemporary comic book film.

Breeze it. Buzz it. Easy does it. Just play it cool, boy. Real cool.
Breeze it. Buzz it. Easy does it. Just play it cool, boy. Real cool.

From there, we go the two Spider-Man films directed by Sam Raimi, and the one Sam Raimi film/musical which had Spider-Man in it. We even got a couple sweet X-Men films, and one that was basically insanity. We also got films based on graphic novels like Road to Perdition, 300, Sin City, and the list continues. I call that section "the boom of comic book film." Now, we're at a place where films are interconnected, with Marvel and DC, and in a sense, they're beginning to tell a larger story. I'm really just guessing with DC, since the only film to come out of their connected universe is Man of Steel. Comic book films, for the most part, are actually good films. Seriously, watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier again. It's brilliant.

Let's jump over to television now. Back in 2001, a show aired on the WB Network (Now called the CW, which I'm pretty sure stands for something like "Candle Waxer") called Smallville, which followed a young Clark Kent in his hometown of Smallville. We got to grow up with Kent and see him use his powers. Sure, there were super-hero shows before (The Flash, Adventures of Lois & Clark), but Smallville was much like Blade: the start of the contemporary comic book television show by giving taking the property and giving its own different spin on it.

Right now, however, we live in the boom. Sure, we have a ton of shows, and some are good and some the exact opposite, but we're on the cusp of getting some really rad stuff thrown our way. Television and film aren't on the same timeline with each other. Film is a bit ahead. We're basically at a point where we could have the Avengers of television thrown at us in the next year. Could that be the Netflix bombs Marvel is about to drop on us? Could it be I, Zombie or Supergirl? Who knows?

Here's the thing. People in the television business see that shows like Walking Dead, Arrow, The Flash, and Gotham are working insanely well and they want to get on that bandwagon, much like movie execs saw when both X-Men and Spider-Man did well because they had already forgotten the Blade Trilogy was a thing. Take a look at what's going on right this second with 12 Monkeys. Ok, I know it's not a comic, but it's science-fiction and it's an adaptation of a sweet Terry Gillam movie, which was heavily inspired by the short film La Jetée. Syfy has been a joke. Monster + Monster = Bad movie which 100 people on Twitter talk about for a week. That seemed to be their gameplan. However, 12 Monkeys really reopens the door for Syfy, which feels like it closed when Battlestar Galactica ended. The show is actually really good. Even the pilot was good and pilots tend to be, as the commenters in forums put it, "meh." And for a Syfy show, ratings wise, it did pretty good, and they're not stopping there. They're currently developing a slew of new comic book related television shows and if they can all stay on par, quality-wise, with 12 Monkeys, I will faint from fanboy excitement.

No jokes. I'm pumped for Powers.
No jokes. I'm pumped for Powers.

We have a lot of other potential shows coming down the pipeline too from various networks. Powers will be hitting the PSN network in the next couple of months. Back in September, we gave you a rundown on a lot of the television shows that were in the works, and it's a ton of stuff from Image/Skybound, Oni Press, and Vertigo. While some of these projects will never see the light of day, we're on the verge of seeing a ton of comic book television hit the market. That combine with the upcoming Marvel Netflix Bomb is going to put us in a new era of television. I'm excited. How about you?

Understandably, just because comic book films exploded the way they did doesn't mean television will as well, but let's face it, television has run out of new ideas for police procedural shows. This is the obvious next step. And then, in 10 years, when the comic book bubble has burst, people can then look forward to whatever trend is popular then, and I'm pretty sure that will be television based off of board games. You thought Ouija the movie was thrilling? Wait until you see the tv show, based off the movie, based off the game, based on lying to your friends.

We live in a great time for comic books, movies, and now television. The things many of us dreamed of as kids are now a reality. How many people, aside from me, played with their Toy Biz X-Men figures, everyday (and into their 30s) and wanted the silly little stories of Wolverine beating everyone, including Magneto, to one day be on the big screen? We live in the era of childhood fanboy dreams, It's awesome, and I truly believe it's only going to get better from here.

Make sure to check in with me next year, when I write "What Happened? Why I was wrong about comic book television." Where do you hope comic book television goes in the future? What are some of your favorite things currently happening with comic book tv?

Kwijiboh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wish I liked Agents of Shield or Gotham, can't explain what it is I don't like about them. I guess they just feel like a typical television show, if that makes sense. I guess I feel they aren't made for the comic book fan, but made for the general public and I feel that degrades it a bit.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I came here thinking a new show was announced...

Good write up though

Kwijiboh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeperson: "is only going to get better" made me think the same thing.

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kwijiboh: I felt the same way man with agents, but while I watched it I read comics or did something else and finally after like 7 episodes the shows actually gets good and exciting enough to watch the best one. Jut give it one moe try man if you love marvel shot your gonna wanna watch this it's gonna intersect with so much stuff

Kwijiboh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outbreak666: Yeah that's what I've heard. I want to like it, so I'll give it some time.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're basically at a point where we could have the Avengers of television thrown at us in the next year

Yeah it's called the Justice League. With the CW having enough heroes to make a team all we need now is to wait for the next full crossover when they all meet up.

dkmark96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash is pure comicbooky fun and I love it :D

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Think Tank would do well as a show, especially on SyFy. It's something completely different, but the channel needs to take more chances, and I think it would work well.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kwijiboh: After the Captain America crossover, it gets good so stick around

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried watching agents of shield but ultimately gave up after s02e5

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

Still waiting on that Lucifer pilot episode, that's something I can really get behind on.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Can't wait for Supergirl!

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only quality comic show on TV right now is Walking Dead. Everything else is full of bad acting, bad effects, formulaic plots, cheesy dialogue etc. I expect that will change when Daredevil finally hits.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It really depends. the market could become over saturated with comic book shows bursting the bubble. Or to tap into the comic book market they will take properties and change everything about them to appeal to a different demographic yet still get the buzz of a comic book program. Similar towhat Izombie and the upcoming Supergirl look to have done.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

SHIELD has really hit a stride since the Winter Soldier tie in last season and hasn't lost steam. Flash is great, and I prefer it to Arrow. Gotham is still something I'm unsure about, but I really enjoy their Penguin portrayal.

Where do shows go from here? Personally I see television as a chance for DC and Marvel or any other company to get their B/C/D listers out there. Certainly they can take a feature film risk like Marvel did with GotG, but TV is really a perfect medium to sate appetites for superhero media between motion pictures. Marvel's Netflix series will be perfect for this.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Moon Knight show or something similar on television. We already know DC has big TV plans.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: You think the effects on Flash are bad? Wow. Your standards must be through the roof.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Arinya

None of these shows...except for maybe Walking Dead are actually really good. Arrow is a soap opera that has gotten a bit better now that all the drama with Oliver's mom and which sister he is sleeping with is out of the way. Flash has it's moments but it's loaded with some cheesy stuff. Then again it's kinda appealing that way. Agents of Shield wants to be great but it's just such a dum dum, pow, pow kinda show that it gets boring really fast. So I guess being optimistic, if this is the beginning, we are off to an okay-ish start. =)

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started watching The Strain about a week ago, and I love it.

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By John-PH

This needs to become a show one day

No Caption Provided

capelibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

It really depends. the market could become over saturated with comic book shows bursting the bubble. Or to tap into the comic book market they will take properties and change everything about them to appeal to a different demographic yet still get the buzz of a comic book program. Similar towhat Izombie and the upcoming Supergirl look to have done.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that may be an issue with television. I think people will watch good, well-written/acted shows no matter what the source material is (I've been collection comics for over 30 years and had no idea "Walking Dead" was based on a comic until mid-way thru the second season). Now, I DOthink viewers get 'genre fatigue'. In other words, if a slew of superhero shows turn up on network line-ups next year that may not be such a great thing for any superhero shows in development (and probably not for those on the air as well). However, since the comic ecosystem spans so many genres (imagine "Men of Wrath" as an HBO show) I believe there will always be a comic-based/inspired show on TV.

richRYDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By richRYDR

well its so bad right now, it can only get better from here lol

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i hope the indie titles that are turning to tv shows should be on networks like HBO/Showtime and/or Netflix just so they can get away with more realism and not have to worry about adhering to the general public.

Stories like Scalped, Transmetropolitan, Men of Wrath, Southern Bastards, Y: The Last Man, Preacher and more more or whatever title/story is worth telling on the TV medium. These stories would flourish if they had the right network

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It can only get better because only The Walking Dead is of some quality.

Arrow is terrible, SHIELD is meh, Gotham's only okay. Haven't seen Flash but I don't much care to because of the Arrow/CW soap crap relation.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I LOVE EM ALLLL!!!!

MiB

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I wish they'd give some more momentum on the animation side of things. Ax Teen Titans Go, Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH, and then start fresh with some better material from both DC and Marvel. The fact that Marvel outguns DC in the animated series department is so downright insulting, I'd throw an anti-trust suit on Marvel alone to level the playing field.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it extremely funny how this age of great live action shows started just as the era of great animation died down. GL TAS and Young Justice cancellation marked the end of great animation for what's it been, 3 years now, ouch. Hopefully Vixen can help remedy that.

As for the current shows, The Walking dead remains mixed for me, Arrow is good when it isn't focusing on soup opera crap (which sadly it still does, a lot), AoS has picked up a lot TWS tie in, and with episode 10's development, it may well be the best of them all, The Flash has a few kinks to work out but it's just a ton of fun, Sadly Arrow season 3, Gotham, and Constantine just aren't doing it for me.

Really looking forward to Titans and i hope they get Supergirl right

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they'd give some more momentum on the animation side of things. Ax Teen Titans Go, Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH, and then start fresh with some better material from both DC and Marvel. The fact that Marvel outguns DC in the animated series department is so downright insulting, I'd throw an anti-trust suit on Marvel alone to level the playing field.

I like Teen Titans Go and Ultimate Spider-Man. Hulk and the Agents of SMASH isn't bad either.

With that said, I never got the appeal of Walking Dead. But then again, I hate just about everything Zombie themed so it's not my type of show anyway.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The only two comic shows I really love are The Walking Dead and Constantine.

Agents of SHIELD did get MUCH better, but it's not particularly /good/.

Flash/Arrow and Gotham are awful.

Don't have any intention of watching a show based on Caps girlfriend.

Really hoping that the Netflix shows are great

Dredd_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnapocalypse: Yes, i would like to see a good Transmetropolitan adaptation.

Correction on the article: The Strain isn't based on a comic. The comic and show are based on the Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan novel trilogy, which del Toro originally pitched as a TV series.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Moon Knight gets a show, I'll be the happiest man alive.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see how Marvel outgunning DC is insulting, it's just not what we're used to and that's perfectly fine. Cartoon Network doesn't care about action cartoons as they have constantly postponed their airdates and slowly axed them. Teen Titans Go is stupidity, not just as a show but in terms of marketing DC's current material. Disney couldn't care less about their Marvel cartoons, whatever sells their products. The fact that Phineas and Ferb did better with the characters is degrading. Ultimate Spider-Man guest staring the cast of Jessie (as themselves being themselves) shows where they'll go to appeal to their audience. Why does Star Wars get a good cartoon but not Marvel?

I miss good cartoons based off of Marvel and DC comics.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have watched a number of comic book shows and there some shows I love, some I like, some I'm kind of borderline about and one's that I don't really care for. As far as live-action shows are concerned I love Smallville, Arrow, The Flash and animated shows, Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Young Justice, Batman, and Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I liked the Spider-Man animated series and a few other shows. I'm on the fence about Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D., Ultimate Spider-Man, and Costantine. and I stop caring for Gotham weeks ago. Couldn't keep me hooked. Overall I'm glad to see comic book shows showing up.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#36  Edited By StMichalofWilson

I find it extremely funny how this age of great live action shows started just as the era of great animation died down. GL TAS and Young Justice cancellation marked the end of great animation for what's it been, 3 years now, ouch. Hopefully Vixen can help remedy that.

Hopefully...

KomicKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KomicKev

I think a younger audience (teens - mid-20's) might be jaded with the quality of TV shows and movies. They have grown up in an era where they can get whatever they want (entertainment-wise) at a touch of a button (or touchscreen). They have been exposed to year after year of the newest tech, the newest entertainment trend, the newest 3D games and movies.

However, we of the older generation can remember the low-quality Hulk or Spider-Man TV shows of yore. We remember Pong and Pac-Man. We remember the occasional offerings of Christopher Reeve's Superman (yes, a great movie for its time - - but then parts III and IV came along - - *shudder!*) and Batman of the 1960s. So when we get all these (in my opinion) quality movies and all these (in my opinion) quality TV shows currently being thrown at us by the handful, we are really appreciative and made hungry for even more.

Avatar image for admiral_ironbeast
Admiral_IronBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

agent carter and flash ftw

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By vinomonster

Yes! I'm excited to see Daredevil and the Preacher! I hope they bring Young Justice back for the love of heaven!

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I came here thinking a new show was announced...

Good write up though

jack16ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Surprised how many comments are about only The Walking Dead being decent, when its the only I don't watch and like. I really like The Flash, Arrow and Constantine, while Agents of SHIELD and Gotham I admit I almost stopped watching but they got better as they went along and now I like them too.

I'm optimistic for the future but hope they don't overdue it and ruin some of them.

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Y: The Last Man has amazing potential for a tv series.

SwampPing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 26

DC should just stick to Movies. They're over saturating themselves with crappy TV shows.

Pretty excited for Marvels Netflix stuff though, unlike DC there added to their CU rather than just trying to create a different one.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Netflix stuff is the most exciting.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arrow and Flash are awesome!! Haters.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the bubble will burst, and we'll have comic book shows for a long time. The problem is that I think people are assuming that means superheroes, and forgetting that comics have a wide variety of genres as well as themes. The Walking Dead, Gotham, Arrow, Constantine, they're all comic book shows but they're all very different. It's just like adapting a book to a movie.

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sbyrstall

I blame Cartoon network for all this trash. Instead of putting money in some good stories they come up with drivel like "Uncle Grampa", "Regular Show", "Steven Universe", "Adventure Time" and "Clarence" to name a few. I have no interest in the programs that are on Adult Swim, except for Toonami.

It would be nice if they did more "Batman Beyond" and other shows like this. The comic world has a lot of good stuff, but it's barely touched, or satirized.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#48  Edited By The Impersonator

Flash and Arrow are not awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are so many shows I need to watch. It's stressful.

Make sure to check in with me next year, when I write "What Happened? Why I was wrong about comic book television."

Ha!

Wardog2alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Wardog2alpha

@transformers1024 said:

WTF?