Comic Book Reviews For The Week of 5/11/11

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Can you hear that? Flashpoint has arrived and we're all still here. Everything may be changing in the DC Universe but it can't prevent Comic Vine doing our weekly reviews. This week we had a very nice mix of comics. We have some new series along with the end of others. There's even a couple video game type comics. There was almost something for everyone...except Mat, he was going to review the Britney Spears comic but his store didn't have any copies.

No Caption Provided

Let us know what you think about these comics that we reviewed. Did you dig them or hate them? What other comics did you read that are worth mentioned. And keep in mind, we can't review every single comic that comes out today.

== TEASER ==

Flashpoint #1

No Caption Provided
Flashpoint is finally here. Everything does indeed change. Forget about the DC Universe you know and enjoy the story by Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert. We've seen the numerous teasers and now we can get ready for this crazy ride. Kubert's art is stunning as usual and you will want to take the time to look at and appreciate the detail he puts into each character and panel. Johns has the ability to create new versions of characters we know and he takes some in very interesting directions. Being the first issue of a new event, there is some build up that takes place. But knowing where we are going jacks up the excitement. Despite being thrusted into this new comic universe, it didn't seem to bother me as it did with Age of X at Marvel. Be sure to read the entire issue and do not flip to the final page. I am officially more excited now than I have been in a while for a comic event.

To read Tony's full review, click here.

Incredible Hulks #628

No Caption Provided
Incredible Hulk is one of the most under-rated Marvel books on the shelf. It's self-contained, always well written (when Pak is on it), and it's an entertaining read. We have some new and old villains in this issue, and while you may be a bit lost on what is going on, there's enough good stuff in this issue to keep you glued to the pages. This is a definite recommendation, and worth every penny. It's not the best issue in the series, but it's an awesome issue regardless.

To read Mat's full review, click here.

Birds of Prey #12

No Caption Provided
I'm a fan of this issue because it shifts in direction to something that the Birds should have under control easily, but presents them with complications that will challenge them. The reveal of Junior also did its job of presenting a threat that we know the team might legitimately have trouble with, and that makes for good stories. Good issue overall, but I'm curious as to where it goes.

To read Matt's full review, click here.

FF #3

No Caption Provided
I still miss having a proper Fantastic Four comic but Hickman and Epting have been convincing me more and more each month that this is a great direction. Readers of Hickman's Fantastic Four run are in for a treat as we begin to see how everything is fitting together and why Reed's daughter, Valeria, felt she had to make a deal with Doctor Doom. Epting's art shines as always and it's great to see his interpretations of the different characters brought into this issue. The issue lacks a firm ending and not quite a cliffhanger one either. The best thing is FF has continuously met my expectations three months in a row now.

Superman #711

No Caption Provided
So far, it's without a doubt the best issue in this storyline because it's actually an interesting read. It's great to see Livewire and Superman go at it again, and I'm always a fan of seeing a little bit of Jimmy Olsen thrown in there. There's some unanswered questions in this issue, which could lead to some very cool things. However, you have to get through a whole page of Superman talking once again about America and the world. I really enjoyed this issue, and I recommend it, but skip the last page.

New Avengers #12

No Caption Provided
I was really excited at first bouncing back and forth between flashbacks of Fury’s 1959 Avengers and the current New Avengers, especially when Mockingbird got shot. Lots of action coupled with a plot that was clearly laying the groundwork for something big for these characters. Four issues into this though and things have come to a grinding, mind-numbing halt and whatever originality we were hoping for seems to be getting thrown out the window.

To read Ray's full review, click here.

The Flash #12

No Caption Provided
The Flash had a good run (no pun intended). It's sad to see the series that Geoff Johns and Francis Manapul end just after twelve issues. This issue leads directly into Flashpoint and yes, everything is going to change. Johns resolves some of the plots and character issues brought up throughout the series and there is a great sense of excitement knowing that this sets up Flashpoint. As a final issue to the series, it doesn't quite have a feel as it is a springboard to Flashpoint. It's unfortunate that Manapul did not do more than just a few pages but I enjoy Scott Kolins art more and more with each issue I see. Read this first then jump into Flashpoint #1 to see how the DC Universe will be changing.

New Mutants #25

No Caption Provided
This issue was a solid one, and I'm looking forward to this new storyline with ; as a child of the 90's, X-Man was one of those characters I was curious about, but never had a chance to absorb fully. He's been kind of elusive since his return, so it'll be interesting to see what does with him. Hopefully the solid team (both inside the book and out) will keep up the quality we've become accustomed to.

Batman: Arkham City #1

No Caption Provided
It feels like the release of Batman: Arkham City is never going to get here. In the meantime, we have this series that will set things up nicely for the sequel to Arkham Asylum. Thankfully written by Paul Dini, we get the story on how things escalate to the point that Gotham City officials are willing to block off a huge chunk of the city and set it up as a giant prison for inmates. The issue sort of jumps back and forth in being a regular comic book or a video game tie-in. It's a good first issue and I'm curious to see where the story goes next but I haven't decided if I will be buying all five issues.

Daredevil: Reborn #4

No Caption Provided
Daredevil fans will enjoy this without a doubt. For everyone else, it's going to be hit or miss. Sure, you could probably pick this up, without reading any other issues, and be able to understand everything going on, but it feels like something is missing. It feels like nothing truly has changed for the character. If anything, this is a good set-up for the new series, which I am excited for. This may be the last time Diggle is writing DD, at least for a while, but he did well. The art I wasn't too keen on though. Overall, it's good, but it's a borderline borrow. I do recommend it though.

Moriarty #1

No Caption Provided
A new series that anyone can easily jump into. I've never been the biggest Sherlock Holmes fan and might not know the complete history of the characters but just knowing who they were is enough. We get a story of Holmes' greatest villain trying to figure out what to do with himself twenty years after Holmes' death. From the very first pages, we get an incredible amount of insight into the villain's mind. This is clearly a case where things aren't necessarily black or white. Throw in some mystery, suspense and adventure and you'll find yourself wanting to see what Moriarty will do next in his new predicament. Daniel Corey brilliantly weaves an intriguing story and Anthony Diecidue's art fits perfectly to create the characters' look and the atmosphere that pushes the story to the top. I didn't realize I could like a comic based on Sherlock Holmes characters as much as I liked this one.

Fear Itself: Youth In Revolt #1

No Caption Provided
From the cover, we're given a look at what looks to be a core team of former Initiative members, but in the issue they're still working for different groups. This issue, like most of my complaints about introductions, is that they don't have a lot of time to get rolling before the writer runs out of pages. The plot has been set up, but none of the characters or major players have been assembled yet; we've been introduced, but it took so many pages that the book just lacks something. Hopefully it'll get up to speed in the next issue.

Red Robin #23

No Caption Provided
If you haven’t been reading Red Robin, you might get confused, even with this being the first issue of a new story arc. It features a lot of characters that had been introduced in previous issues of the series as major players in this arc and so you might want to check out some back issues first if you want to use this issue as a jumping off point. Aside from that, Red Robin looks to be jumping on into a complicated yet thrilling new direction that should rock Tim’s world with this issue and has me really looking forward to next month to see just how Tim resolves all these messes in his crime-fighting life.

Mega Man #1

No Caption Provided
There's something about Mega Man that is just cool. I've played several of the games and have a decent knowledge of his backstory. This issue is new-reader friendly and give a flashback telling his origin. The comic does have a younger reader feel to it but fans of the franchise should enjoy it as well. Since I haven't read past comic adaptations, I'm not sure how much new territory this will go into but it's looking like it will be a fun series and my daughter should get a kick out of it. That's what made this get the rating I gave it. Major hardcore fans of the franchise might be a little disappointed but the action should fully begin in the next issue.

Astonishing X-Men #37

No Caption Provided
There was some solid action going on in this issue along with some much needed character development for Armor, which I really enjoyed. I have a problem though with Mentallo getting this much attention and Wolverine acting out of character a bit. In the end, if you weren’t picking up Astonishing X-Men before or can’t remember what happened in the last issue because of such a long delay between releases, then you are probably better for it. Unless you’re a diehard fan of this series, you can give it a pass this go around until it starts being released regularly again.

Total Recall #1

No Caption Provided
Often movies end and you start thinking about what would happen after the credits. Total Recall takes us to the moment right after the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie ended. Movie adaptations don't usually offer much but because this goes beyond the movie, there is room for the comic to expand on the characters involved. Unless you've recently viewed the 1990 film, there might be a little confusion as to what has happened since the comic jumps right in. There is some explanation but having watched the movie helps. The art captures the look of the characters as I remembered them. I'm not really sure where the story elements will take the series. There are questions set up here to make you think about come back for the next issue. It can be hard for a comic to capture that motion picture action element and hopefully the story will keep me hooked.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Got Superman #711 today, and after reading the review I think my faith in the Grounded storyline's renewed...at least somewhat!

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

great reviews guys

Crimson Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Crimson Eagle

Whoa, what's with the change in font?

Great review guys. :)
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By longbowhunter

Journey Into Mystery #623 and PunisherMAX #13 were both great this month!! Flashpoint is off to a really good start as well. Great week for books!
Hero1921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Hero1921

Why wasn't Batman inc reviewed? I didn't see it. I believe it came out this week.

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Any reviews coming up for Journey Into Mystery or Batman Inc?

I picked up Journey last month to see if I'll like it and to me I think it's the best thor book out there. It reminds me alot when gillen took over after jms last thor issue but it reminds me alot more of the Thor hell arc that he and Braithwaithe did in terms of story telling.
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By longbowhunter
@CombatSpoon86: 
Journey Into Mystery is a killer read. Waiting 30 days to read each issue should be a crime!
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By sora_thekey

I'm glad Flashpoint is off to a good start!
CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CombatSpoon86
@longbowhunter:

You are right. It sucks we have to wait another month for this book but worth the wait. Mighty Thor looks good but its a $4 book which was a turn off to me plus I have so many $4 books im pulling. As long as Gillen and Braithwaithe are on this book, than count me in.
Avatar image for mechanisticmoth
MechanisticMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#10  Edited By MechanisticMoth

I've been really worried about Flashpoint.  So, it's nice to see that it's getting some decent reviews.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gmanfromheck
@Hero1921: 
@CombatSpoon86: 
No one claimed Batman, Inc. I did read it before leaving the office. I'm not totally sure how I felt about it. I did like it but something was off. 

I also intended on reviewing Journey but got sucked into FF instead.
Avatar image for omertalvendetta
Omertalvendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Omertalvendetta
@G-Man: I thought Batman Inc. was better than previous issues... at least this one actually followed a plot that made sense.  :)
CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Batman Inc was alot better than the last few issues, so it was an improvement. Detective Comics still holds the title of best bat book on the stands right now.

@G-Man
I could see how you could get sucked into FF. Understandable, I would still love to hear some more insight and reviews of Journey bc i absolutely love this book right now
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nasar7

Daken was good too. 

Avatar image for jacory44williams
Jacory44Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Jacory44Williams

yes, finally a hulk review
Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Joe Venom

"Super Fighting Robot......MEGA MAN!"

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gmanfromheck
@CombatSpoon86: I was majorly surprised by the first issue (and reviewed that one). Haven't read this one yet (left it at the office) but I'm looking forward to it. I'm really surprised I only reviewed one Marvel book this week.
CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CombatSpoon86
@G-Man:

I came to realize if Gillen does a Thor book, I have to read it. Plus another reason why I like Journey because it's a Loki story and how it reminds of how Lex Luthor was the main focus in Action like Loki is the main focus in Journey. When we have busy schedule, it's hard to review everything we bought lol
besighyawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By besighyawn

for some reason I thought flashpoint was a month or two away...