Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Will You Miss Superior Spider-Man?

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Will You Miss Superior Spider-Man? (378 votes)

Yes! I've grown to love Otto as Spidey! 54%
No, because Peter Parker is back! 38%
Who? What? Sorry, CV, but I'm not following the current run. 7%

Man, it's tough to believe SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN is coming to an end. Despite taking place way back in December of 2012, the internet exploding over the events of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #700 really doesn't feel like it was too long ago. Now the 31st issue -- the big finale! -- of SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN drops this week and Peter Parker is seemingly back in control; however, he has quite a lot to fix after Otto set his life in a whole new and rather abrasive direction. This week, we want to how the Comic Vine crowd feels about this development. Are you sad to see Otto go or is Peter's return simply too exciting for you? Or, are you not reading the volume and have no idea what we're talking about?

Voting will remain open until Thursday morning (ET). After you vote, be sure to leap into the comments and elaborate. Why bother with the effort, you ask? Because, in Thursday's article, we'll highlight some of the best posts that were made by you, the Viners. Make it awesome enough -- be it serious or comedic -- and there's a chance we'll feature it in the article. The only rules are it can't include images and must follow the site's overall rules. Well, what are you waiting for? Go vote!

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #31 goes on sale 4/16/14. Be sure to check the homepage on Thursday for an updated results article!

• 
Azjenco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Azjenco

"Yes" should have been broken into two choices. As in:

"Yes, he was and will always be the Superior Spider-man" and the second being "Yes, I will miss him, but I'm just as glad to see Peter back."

Right now it feels more of a choice between the former option, or "Screw him, Peter is the best". Those aren't really great choices, since I fall into the second option I gave, and I'm certain a few other voters felt the same.

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes. Yes I will. I was hoping this Superior run was gonna last a few more years. I'm gonna miss his supporting cast most of all.

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Glad it's over. It was terrible more often than not, and was just a twice monthly attempt at the shock factor. Almost as though Slott was trying to trash Peter's legacy in greater ways each issue. Plus it was pointless, there was no need for a "spider-man" without responsibility, we already had one--Kaine (this killed his book just as much as Peter's reputation). Otto is, was, and (when he comes back) always will be a boring cliched villain whose only character development in fifty years was during SSM 30 when he finally admits he's not superior. Good bye Otto, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joyous for peter's return. Heavy heart for ock.

Its a bittersweet symphony.

No Caption Provided
Loading Video...

PS!!!

I know ock will return. Thats so obvious. Just hope they dont ruin all the 30 issues worth of character development then. :D

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By micah007123

@superior_prime_maybe: That's my biggest fear, especially with Spider-Verse coming. I hope they don't pull some time-travel bull s***** and try to sweep this under the rug.

substance104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By substance104

Superior Spidey was my favorite new series, and while being a fan of Peter Parker, Otto just really impressed me more. So its a mixed feeling, sad to see Superior go, glad to see Peter back, almost with Marvel would keep the Superior line going (I duno maybe Otto transferred his superior memories to a spidey clone...)

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I didn't "love" it .

But!!!!!

i did find it entertaining and fascinating!. His new technology aspect and new gadgets to help fight crime always made me go "Why didn't Parker think of this!?" .and the interaction between him and other marvel characters is always a surprise and treat.

Heatmiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Heatmiser

Peter Parker has bored me to tears for nearly 20 years. Miles Morales is the Superior Spider-Man now.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#59  Edited By Project_Worm

Hell naw!!

The entire time I read the series I just kept thinking how much better of an anti-hero Scarlet Spider makes.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Otto had a good run, for sure. But Peter's return was inevitable. I just hope that Otto has learned from the experience.

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By Autopsad

Of course i'll miss him... for some time ! But Peter's back and that's so good !

but I don't think Peter won't learn anything from it, I mean, look at the preview for the final issue, he looks (and shoul be) impressed of Otto for succeeding in synthetizing a cure for the goblin formula ! Peter WILL be supperior !

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ill miss Spock, this is exactly what Spiderman needed. Too bad he will probably be cast aside again.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#63 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n No option for both?

Boo. Boo this poll.

Real Spider-Man fans (and comic book fans in general) would say both.

deal with it animated GIF

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By frogdog

Not even a little bit. I only wish Slott was going with him.

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

hey if people liked this Inferior Octopus nonsense that is fine, but now the REAL Spider-man is back and I couldn't be happier (except the new Amazing Spider-man will still have Humberto Lopez's god awful art...*sigh*)

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By Captain13

I haven't read a 616 Spider-man story since Otto took over. It will be good to read Peter Parker Spider-Man stories again, though Miles has been awesome.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

@wells: But what has Peter done that shows he was more determined, focused, and inventive than Ock?

Actually beat A list villains and not leave new york in a state of chaos, while crying he isn't worthy.

summerslam1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was angry Slott replaced Peter with Otto at first. But it was a different way to see Spider-Man and I enjoyed it while it lasted. And Slott knew exactly where to end it. I feel this was the best place he could have stopped. And now we have some good plot points for Peter trying to repair the damage Otto did to his life and his reputation as Spider-Man, as well as running Parker Industries.

ectoborge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Superior-Spider-Man run is the perfect example of how risky ideas can pay off. I wasn't really interested in Dan Slott's Spider-Man run until he introduced this new concept. Since then I've really enjoyed reading previous issues and seeing how he was planting the seeds of what was going to happen.

This felt like the Dark-suit saga for my generation and I'm glad I got to see this great arch as it came out.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog: Beat them only for them to escape and do the exact same thing again. Rinse and Repeat while b******* , and complaining about High School for the past 50+ years.

At least Otto attempted to put down villians for good, and yes his efforts fell apart towards the end, it doesn't matter, he showed more initiative than Peter ever did. I hope this Amazing Spider- Dork falls apart since Slott is still writing him, and now he has to writing the same old same old Parker stories we've heard 10000 times.

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Good riddance, Ock. creep.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

MasterBelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course I'm gonna miss it. It's been awesome (only read the first three volumes so far, though). I really had my doubts when the series first began because I hated the idea, but after reading the first volume, I was sold. I hadn't had a big Spider-Man interest in a while, and this series brought the interest back. At least it's not over for me yet since I've still got the rest of the volumes to read, and I'm gonna be sad when I'm finished. Bravo, Mr. Slott.

wells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

@frogdog: Beat them only for them to escape and do the exact same thing again. Rinse and Repeat while b******* , and complaining about High School for the past 50+ years.

At least Otto attempted to put down villians for good, and yes his efforts fell apart towards the end, it doesn't matter, he showed more initiative than Peter ever did. I hope this Amazing Spider- Dork falls apart since Slott is still writing him, and now he has to writing the same old same old Parker stories we've heard 10000 times.

yeah because he's not trying to be judge, jury and executioner, he's leaving that up to the courts and the system (like a cop does) who let them get away with avoiding the death penalty for their crimes by reason of insanity and bull crap excuses like that and just lock them up in an insane asylum for them to escape, I mean if cops just immediately shot someone who was suspected of or caught committing crimes from stuff like pick pocketing to murder would people be okay with that? and if super heroes just kept killing any bad guys that showed up then would comics books be able to continue for so long?

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of...

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By micah007123

@wells: I know that, what i'm saying is Spock actually tried to do something about crime. He had security cameras set up to instantly notify him of crime so he could stop it as soon as possible. He wasted no time toying around with his enemies and put them into the dirt. Seeing this new approach combined with his personality, supporting cast and the new status quo gave us something new from a character who hasn't changed in decades. And what happens, all the fanboys hated it, because god forbid we have something new for a little while.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n No option for both?

Boo. Boo this poll.

Real Spider-Man fans (and comic book fans in general) would say both.

Uh, not true? Bold claim is incorrect.

mark15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superior is the only Marvel series I liked, now that that peter is back i'm dropping it, i might have continued if issue 30 was less rushed, i just dont believe that Otto would spend all that time as Spidey then deletes his memories cause it would "distract" peter

CrashBang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By CrashBang

I'm somewhere in the middle. This run has been so refreshing and I wish that, either it had gone on for longer or that it had been a monthly, rather than bi-monthly, so it could have been drawn out a bit more (and been easier on my wallet). Still, happy to see Pete return!

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

How could I not?

Ock-Spider is Best-Spider.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Read the first trade, didn't like it, so now I've been waiting for it to end so I can start reading Spider-Man. The time is near. so, no, I won't miss SpOck.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really gonna miss the superior Spiderman :(

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By frogdog

@micah said:

Talk about being outdated in your spider-man comics, peter hasn't complained about high school since gwen died.

Your point about villians escaping is down to the courts, and ignoring that's a contuning story set to for countless years to come.

Yeah good at killing villians that no one gives a f*ck about, and his so called initiative only works by lazy writing by making everyone else too oblivious to the changes.

I seriously hopes SpOck only gets mentioned as laughable point in spider-mans history.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I don't miss all the characters being idiots so a villain can make a point that he is Superior and then when a real villain comes he screws everything because he was lazy too to do patrolling.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By micah007123
@frogdog said:

@micah said:

Talk about being outdated in your spider-man comics, peter hasn't complained about high school since gwen died.

Your point about villians escaping is down to the courts, and ignoring that's a contuning story set to for countless years to come.

Yeah good at killing villians that no one gives a f*ck about, and his so called initiative only works by lazy writing by making everyone else too oblivious to the changes.

I seriously hopes SpOck only gets mentioned as laughable point in spider-mans history.

Somehow you miss my point. But I guess I will humor you and explain it. The point is, SpiderOck gave us something new, something fresh and original. I honestly didn't know Peter had a series before Superior, because I didn't care. The only time I read something with Spider-Man in it was in the last couple of Events and Avengers, and I know i'm not the only one. Compare Peter next to SpiderOck and try to say SpiderOck isn't a more sophisticated, intriguing, and overall a more engrossing character.

Obviously I know villains escaping is a central part of comics, but what i'm saying is that he actually tried to clean up New York and was effective for his story. Meanwhile Peter does what he always does no matter what reality he's in. Make bad jokes, Keep to himself, stay depressed and every once in a while say "Why Me!!!!!!!!", and make deals with the devil. This goes back to what I said about finally getting something new, in the form of SpiderOck.

Like any other event or critical story, it probably will get mentioned as a laughable point in his history. I mean yeah, getting your mind taken over by a out of shape guy, with metal octopus arms sounds pretty funny to me.

Now for a Grammar Lesson

• Please capitalize "Gwen", it is after-all a proper noun
  • Please change your spelling of "Villains" it's incorrect
  • and lastly please change your spelling of "Continuing" it's incorrect
thedarkness37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have to say I'm going to miss SpOck. I stopped reading Spider-Man after the Brand New Day ark. Didn't touch any Spider-Man title until Superior. Now that Peter is back, I'll read it to see where it goes. I can always drop it again until they do another new and innovative with him again.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Eh, I voted no because I am actually happy to see Peter back because of one simple reason: Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Certainly others may replace, for example Miles replacing Peter as Ultimate Spider-Man, but Peter is Spidey. There is no other Spidey.

Now I am torn, and nearly voted yes, for a few reasons. First, I'll admit that leading up to Superior I enjoyed Slott's work on Peter. Heresy, I know, but he's evolved Peter more since Big Time than he really has in the last decade. Second, the premise had promise. We all knew it wasn't permanent. It's like when Jean Paul Valley or Dick Grayson replaced Bruce Wayne. Marvel isn't going to kill of a flagship character, especially when he's slated for another few movies in the coming years. Superior, however, felt rushed. To make it work in the allotted time frame, Slott dumbed down many of the supporting cast, so they "knew something was different" but no one really realized anything was wrong. The Avengers were made fools, Aunt May didn't see anything was different about the boy she raised, etc. Now, I have confidence Slott could have pulled it off better if he had time, but he didn't. He wanted to tell a certain story, and didn't have much time to do it. I wouldn't mind seeing Superior go on a bit longer, or have been slated a longer time frame. I think we could have achieved the same ends with better buildup without character degradation.

But, in the end, I am glad to see Peter come back. I hope we will see some major developments come from this, such as Parker Industries and Miguel being in the present, hopefully we'll see something come of Peter knowing Curt Connors' mind is in the body of the Lizard. If it does nothing but serve as a "soft reset" for Spidey, and bring him back to the "starving genius bachelor" he's always been, then it will have been a waste. I suppose only time will tell.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#90  Edited By PapiNacho

if I had to choose, between Peter and SPOck I would choose Peter 10/10, but I still picked yes because that doesn't mean I won't miss him. SPOck was a cool cat.

jackbensley777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

spOck will always be the superior spiderman lmao

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:
@frogdog said:

@micah said:

Somehow you miss my point. But I guess I will humor you and explain it. The point is, SpiderOck gave us something new, something fresh and original. I honestly didn't know Peter had a series before Superior

because I didn't care. The only time I read something with Spider-Man in it was in the last couple of Events and Avengers, and I know i'm not the only one. Compare Peter next to SpiderOck and try to say SpiderOck isn't a more sophisticated, intriguing, and overall a more engrossing character.

Obviously I know villains escaping is a central part of comics, but what i'm saying is that he actually tried to clean up New York and was effective for his story. Meanwhile Peter does what he always does no matter what reality he's in. Make bad jokes, Keep to himself, stay depressed and every once in a while say "Why Me!!!!!!!!", and make deals with the devil. This goes back to what I said about finally getting something new, in the form of SpiderOck.

Like any other event or critical story, it probably will get mentioned as a laughable point in his history. I mean yeah, getting your mind taken over by a out of shape guy, with metal octopus arms sounds pretty funny to me.

Now for a Grammar Lesson

A spider-man villain mascarding as spider-man that is totally an original idea that has never been done, the chameleon, kraven the hunter, venom, mysterio and a bunch of clones never did such an original idea from a freaky friday. Also you would have be pretty stupid or blind or just clueless to even think that peter didn't have series. SpOck more generic than 90's anti-hero, he can't even interact with cast in a meanfull way and heavily relys on everyone to be stupid.

Not his dialoge with other villains are just bolied down to villains being surprised that he's kills, while SpOck goes on about being superior. When the sh*t hits the fan, peter faces his problem and finds a way to fix it, Otto cried like a b*tch asking for peter to fix his problems.I could careless about a tiny minorty that don't read spider-man.

Cleaning up new york with more blood and collateral damage, sure it's different but it's isn't effective. He only made one deal with the devil, nor does he stay depressed. Honsetly I have never seen such a poor understanding of spider-man's character in my life.

The funniest part is the people who thought it was a good story :D

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By micah007123
@frogdog said:

@micah said:
@frogdog said:

@micah said:

Somehow you miss my point. But I guess I will humor you and explain it. The point is, SpiderOck gave us something new, something fresh and original. I honestly didn't know Peter had a series before Superior

because I didn't care. The only time I read something with Spider-Man in it was in the last couple of Events and Avengers, and I know i'm not the only one. Compare Peter next to SpiderOck and try to say SpiderOck isn't a more sophisticated, intriguing, and overall a more engrossing character.

Now for a Grammar Lesson

A spider-man villain mascarding as spider-man that is totally an original idea that has never been done, the chameleon, kraven the hunter, venom, mysterio and a bunch of clones never did such an original idea from a freaky friday. Also you would have be pretty stupid or blind or just clueless to even think that peter didn't have series. SpOck more generic than 90's anti-hero, he can't even interact with cast in a meanfull way and heavily relys on everyone to be stupid.

Not his dialoge with other villains are just bolied down to villains being surprised that he's kills, while SpOck goes on about being superior. When the sh*t hits the fan, peter faces his problem and finds a way to fix it, Otto cried like a b*tch asking for peter to fix his problems.I could careless about a tiny minorty that don't read spider-man.

Cleaning up new york with more blood and collateral damage, sure it's different but it's isn't effective. He only made one deal with the devil, nor does he stay depressed. Honsetly I have never seen such a poor understanding of spider-man's character in my life.

The funniest part is the people who thought it was a good story :D

Once again, that's not the point. Of course their have been others who have mascaraed as Spider-Man, but you have to admit this time was different. Most of the other impostors lasted an issue or two, not an entire series. And no, Peter hasn't brought anything new to the table since this. So its not a crime to get bored with the same, playing it safe story lines every issue.

He goes around saying he's Superior because he is. He brought a wealth of scientific knowledge to the fray. Including starting his own company, giving Aunt May, and Flash the ability to walk again without pain, and took control of his life, unlike Puny Parker. He never asked Peter to help him, all he did was use Peters knowledge against certain foes to win. Again something anyone with tactical knowledge would take advantage of.

You can pull the "poor misunderstanding" card all you want. All he's done most of his career is complain, stay in the shadows, and b**ch about everyone else's life compared to his.

It was a good story while it lasted. Its sad you can't see that.

summerslam1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: You should get the Goblin Nation trade. It has been the best Superior Spider-Man story so far. Plus, it'll give you some insight to how Peter returned and the kind of shit he's returned to.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By lifeofvibe

yes very much so the other became a bore if you ask me

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm honestly quite surprised by the result...

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#97  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

I will I started to like him he was pretty cool.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#98  Edited By roboadmiral

It's weird for me to answer because I haven't read Superior or regular Spider-Man. My list of things to read eventually is very long. Spider-Man is not on it. I don't find him terribly interesting. Superior, however, was at minimum an interesting and novel enough idea to make it on the list. My mental response to the announcement of Peter Parker's return was "Well, now I know where to stop buying Spider-Man trades."

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i cant really say tbh.

i started picking up/getting into comics, and already Peter was dead in both Comic Universes, and tbh i havent read anything but the Superior Spider-man....
so im gonna miss that because it was my first introduction into the Spidey storyline/continuity.

but i am also stoked to follow Peter Parker's adventures. I am an avide supporter of Dan Slott, and the direction he is taking this story.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My, my, How tHe tables Have turned. Damn Fangirls, cryin' & $#!% over notHin.

-ABstract4$$#073-