Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Who's Your Favorite Robin?

• 190 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Who's Your Favorite Robin? (544 votes)

Dick Grayson 33%
Jason Todd 11%
Time Drake 29%
Stephanie Brown 2%
Damian Wayne 22%
Carrie Kelley 2%

Six Robins enter, one Robin leaves as the winner. Unless there's a tie, then, well... two or more Robins can walk away! But hey, you get the point, right?

The Dark Knight has had several close allies over the years, but the various Robins have always held a particularly strong place in his heart. Five characters are well-known for stepping into the costume in the primary DC universe and one most definitely left an impact in Frank Miller'sThe Dark Knight Returns, but we want to know which one you -- yes, you -- like the most.

Dick? Jason? Stephanie? Carrie? Tim? Damian? YOU MUST CHOOSE!!!

Odds are many of you already have your mind made up on this one, but just to be safe, the poll will remain open until Thursday morning (ET). That way if you're not 100% certain on who's your #1 Robin, it'll grant you a little extra time to give it some proper thought. Or, if you don't like the way the poll is going, it gives you a little extra time to spread the word and cheerlead for the character you want to win. Also, don't simply cast your vote and then vanish like Batman. After selecting one of these characters, leap into the comments and tell us why the individual earned your support. If your post is awesome enough, there's a chance we'll highlight it in Thursday's article. And, if that happens, we won't judge you if you want to print the article and stick it to your fridge.

Be sure to check the homepage on Thursday to see which Robin wins and whether your post will be highlighted!

• 
Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Damian Wayne

Avatar image for sirdoctoroftardis
SirDoctorofTARDIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I voted for Dick as he was the one to set the trend for kid sidekicks in the first place. Whenever you see Robin outside of a comic book it's Dick.

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up with Dick as Robin. 60's Batman (reruns but still), the Animated Series, Batman Forever (I was 9 when it came out so shush), and he was Robin for decades.

Tim is a solid second. This kid deduced Wayne's identity and only got smarter and better from there, learning all he could from whoever would teach him.

Jason I feel never deserved to be Robin. He didn't belong. You look at how Tim and Dick took the role and Jason is the complete opposite. He had no real skills to build off of and was caught stealing the tires off the batmobile. His personality works way better with the Red Hood persona.

Steph wasn't Robin long enough for anyone to notice. Like her as Spoiler better anyways.

Damian was a prick and no one really liked him till he died and now all of a sudden everyone is a Damian Wayne fan.

Carrie Kelly was great for that story and that's it.

Not true, most of us liked him before he was dead, he's hated mostly by Drakefans and others generally don't want to see that he was gradually becoming a good kid.

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#155  Edited By Autopsad

Tim Drake, thanks to the Red Robin series.

Dick could have my vote but I prefer him being Nightwing

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Onemoreposter

Here's 5 reasons Tim Drake is the best. 1) He's a detective. Even Ra's al Ghul called him that, and coming from the demon's head the word "detective" is a mark of honor. 2) No Robin fought harder to get the mantle. 3) He wasn't driven by personal tragedy, but by a heroic devotion to the cause. 4) He's the Robin that's never clashed with Bruce's ideals. 5) Robin was never cool until Timothy Jackson Drake. And he never went through an embarrassing disco ponytail phase.

No Caption Provided

#PONYTAIL4LYF

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Damian was a prick and no one really liked him till he died and now all of a sudden everyone is a Damian Wayne fan.

Don't generalize man. I loved the little guy since Batman Reborn.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By ComicStooge

For the record, he's Bruce's favourite Robin too.

No Caption Provided

And Damian was the only person in the Bat-family (besides Alfred) who didn't turn on Bruce during DotF.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 rogueshadow  Moderator

Grayson.

He is Batman's son.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tim Drake for sure.

Avatar image for shriekinmagician
shriekinmagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tim Drake for me. I prefer Dick Grayson as Nightwing. Never really liked him as Robin.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:
No Caption Provided

If this doesn't swing a few votes to the right Robin, I don't know what will.

I'd like to point out that Dick eventually got those letters:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

skydoescomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Jason todd is my favorite character for the mask and cool style

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@comicstooge: Yeah, that's enough love man. You're definitely going to get highlighted for that great examination of Damian ' character. Damian would be proud :)

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#166  Edited By SupBatz

Stephanie is my favorite character who has been Robin. She was such a great addition to the Bat-Family. And every story I read with her had the perfect mix of seriousness and fun. She's easily my number one pick, character-wise.

But if we're talking favorite character as Robin, I go with Damian. I love the dynamics he brings to Robin, both with Bruce and Dick, of a more lethal Robin and a more restraint Batman. His Robin run really stands out to me as the best.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Interesting...Lots of votes for Grayson, yet I wager a small percentage actually are old enough to be around when he was Robin in the comics. I would have to credit the Animated Universe for such a strong showing?

I grew up when Jason had just been voted to be blown up real good, and Grayson has long given up being Robin, So when Tim came on the scene he was blazing his own path as Robin. His own series, his own Car, he was more a partner then a side kick, or the human decoy/comic relief that was Grayson in his day.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

damien wayne for me . i liked him . tim is good but he works better solo or with the titans .

Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@braveknight99: That was from Batman & Robin when Dick Grayson was Batman and chose Damian as his Robin...you know, to make sure he doesn't go on a killing spree! (Morrison run pre new-52 after Batman R.I.P)

BraveKnight99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Gabranth

@braveknight99: It's hard not to like Damian. Before his death he tells Dick Grayson that he was his best team-mate and that together they were the best (Pre 52 is canon for the Bat family), regardless of having worked with Bruce Wayne in the New 52. Batman and Robin was truly epic and the "Black Mirror" story arc truly established Dick Grayson as Batman and silenced the sceptics. I was truly prepared and comfortable with Dick Grayson staying Batman for years but they brought Bruce back pretty quickly.

No Caption Provided

The old days

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damian all the way. Love his attitude, his look, origin and his character arc. He is one of the best things that ever happened to Batman comics.

I grew up with Dick being Nightwing, so he is not my Robin. I grew up with Tim being Robin and really liked his solo series, so he would be my number two.

I like Jason, but more because of the role he plays in the Batman mythos instead of his character. Carrie Kelley and Stephanie Brown don't count as Robins in my eyes.

Avatar image for SuperStar_sketcher
SuperStar_sketcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Todd

Avatar image for thetomorrowknight2013
thetomorrowknight2013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tim Drake, the Red Robin, all day every day.

BraveKnight99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gabranth: You've really changed my mind, Damian ftw.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Dick Grayson; but I love him as Nightwing not as Robin & I won't consider those two to be "the same".

Jason Todd is pretty cool/interesting but as Red Hood; not as Robin.

Tim takes the cake for me, he's had the best run as a "Robin" compared to the others.

sonova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before New 52 I would have chosen Tim. Tim already had the skills but he had to earn his spot and I like his development. I was disappointed he didn't get the Mantel in "Battle for the Cowl" although I was pleased with the Batman and Robin dynamic of Dick and Damian. Post New 52 I have to go with Damian. When they changed Tim into an entitled prick I stopped liking him. Damians the son of a man who by all rights suppresses his entitled Prick tendencies so that makes sense to me.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Damian for the win.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Does anyone else find it odd/upsetting that of all the four major robins, only Jason Todd will have his own book or lead a team come June?

Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Gabranth

For Jason Todd's fans

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diiiiiick!

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#183  Edited By Jphu8414

I think Dick is winning because he is everyone's favorite CHARACTER out of the group, and the same goes for me. However, Tim (IMO) is the best Robin. Dick is a much better character on his own

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked Carrie Kelly cause I knew no one else would, but after seeing the results I wish I had chosen Damien.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#185  Edited By Pokeysteve

@pokeysteve said:

Don't generalize man. I loved the little guy since Batman Reborn.

Just an observation.

buffalo66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rayman3337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an obvious choice for me. Dick Grayson as Robin complimented what Batman was as a character better than every Robin that followed him. He was the world's first impression of a sidekick and a Robin. If Dick never was successful in the 40's than i guarantee Damian or Tim would have never gotten a second glance. The reactions would simply be, "Oh, another Robin, Whoopty Dooo!!!". But that is not what we see today. What made him the best robin was the fact that he did his job the way it was intended and by not getting killed.*cough*Jason, Damian*cough*. And just let me throw it in there, he was successful as Robin, Nightwing, and Batman.....BATMAN!

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damian

karasu_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By karasu_

Jason todd is a tad more realistic than the others
I think he's gained the most from his experiences next to Dick grayson.
Started from the bottom.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By JulieDC

I love both Dick Grayson and Tim Drake but Tim edges out just a bit more because it was under Tim that they saved the concept of Robin by modernizing him as a solo hero in his own right (I mean the fact that he had his only solo book for over 15 years is a testament to that). I also liked that he was more similar to Dick rather than Jason or Damian and that he also had immense respect for the legacy and his predecessors which not all Robins have. The only reason I didn't chose Dick as my favorite Robin is because there really isn't a lot of depth to his era considering he stopped being Robin right when comics really started improving on plot and character development. But I do enjoy anything related to Dick as Robin from the 70s onward (Robin is the only character I can tolerate reading pre-1980s comics).

LeonardoTMNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best of the Robin's, for me it comes down to the first and third. But before I get to that I'd first like to scope out each individual who held the 'Robin' name at some point. Ranking them from lowest to highest.

Stephanie Brown: While she had potential to have an interesting dynamic within the 'Dynamic Duo' her tender was cut relatively short before anything could blossom into something possibly special. Given her dangerously short time as Robin leaves her as the lowest on my list.

Carrie Kelly: In the case of Ms. Kelly I feel her character wasn't explored as much as some of the higher up's on my list, which lands her in the fifth spot. While we did get a sense for who she was, I found most of her explored points revolved around her relationship with Batman than it did about her. What was her foreseen goal, what drove her? Both questions I feel were left unanswered.

Jason Todd: Next we have the second Robin and guy who got caught red handed attempting to steal the tires off of the Batmobile. With Jason we got a different kind of Robin, and not only that.. but a difference in the dynamic as well. Unlike Grayson, Jason brought an attitude which was matched by his street toughness. Instead of having Robin's light to Batman's dark we were given a situation where Bruce would now have to reel up a boy into walking the right path, regardless of his past. And though Jason showed a strong inner kind of Justice, his aggression for trying to state claim on his own lead to his ultimate death.It would have been nice to see how things would have played out had he lasted longer. Like the two above his brief time as the Boy Wonder leaves him at the center section of the list.

Damian Wayne: The son of Bruce Wayne, engineered and trained from birth for what would prepare him for what life would bring. His very upbringing was nicely unique from any of the others to be called before him. He crashed onto the scene not only with an attitude, but a swag to back it up. And though many found a displeasure to his first appearances, he began to grow on several. Some would even say he was a breath of fresh air (Myself included). Within the Bat family there wasn't a guy like him. What started off as an egotistical young lad who felt entitled to the proclaimed throne slowly groomed into a hero in his own right, a process which was mainly guided by the original Robin himself, Dick Grayson. Their partnership was one to remember, a complete swap of the orginal dynamic. Robin beging the dark to Batman's light. Damain's greatest moments were through his interactions; whether it be a night out with Grayson, a sit down with Alfred, or even a brotherly type argument with Drake. But with all things considered Damian lacks something the two higher on this list have a great strength in.

Tim Drake(1A)/ Dick Grayson(1B)

I have these two bad dudes virtually tied, however I've given the slight edge to Timothy Drake, and I'm going to explain why.

He had no special physical attributes to speak of, he wasn't a lone street kid with very few options to choose from in life, he wasn't trained from a young age by assassins to be a gifted fighter, and nor did his passion to combat crime foster through personal tragedy.. this wasn't a individual who lost everything, but rather with everything to lose. Tim financial livings were stable, close friends, a good student, and topped off with two loving parents. And though they weren't always around it was clear he deeply cared for them just as they did him. So why would someone with so much to possibly lose take up on the 'mission'?

To answer that you have to look at the core of the character, a core which gives a visual of someone with their eyes set on justice. Even before learning from Btaman, we got a look in on just how keen Tim's deductive skills were, piecing together who Batman and Robin are is no easy task. As the story goes young Timothy Drake only joined Batman in the first place because he felt Batman needed a Robin. After finally being accepted he went on a voyage to improve his skills, crossing the likes of Lady Shiva and many more. Over time made friends within the hero community, eventually landing him as a respected leader of the Teen Titans. He had fulfilled his dream... but was it really his dream? Throughout his tender we watched a young man struggle with juggling his home life along with his masked. The lies to his then alive father was a big pressing point on the matter. After Jack (Tim's dad) found out his identity it finally gave him the opening he sought, a way out. But was it really what he wanted?

What I believe he was experiencing was his first life crisis, a quarrel of feelings intertwined with one another. His time away from the mask would be short lived due to an encounter at his school, an attack which tested his true stance for where he stood on the matter. It ultimately lead to his return to the mask, leaving him to say not only did it feel 'good' to be back but it felt 'right'. As the saying goes, "You don't know what you have until you lose it." This all goes back to the core of the character, his sense of justice wouldn't allow for him to stay sidelined.

After jumping back into the game he never looked back. By the end of his tender as Robin it was clear where he stood, his devotion to fight crime was of highest priority. His beginning vision of aiding Batman was only foreseen as a short time, but with progression came change. Just like in many peoples lives, what we wished to do several years ago might have altered due to time and change. This is what we witnessed with Tim Drake, now known as Red Robin.

So why is it I have Dick Grayson closely tied behind? For starters Dick Grayson was the original Boy Wonder, and set the standard for all sidekicks who would come in his wake. And just like Tim we got to watch this fun kid full of energy evolve, the very first of any secondary hero to first stand in the shadow of another and make way to stand out on their own. Dick Grayson's story is one of beauty; kid sidekick, stepping out of his mentors confines, becoming a great leader, giving birth to the hero known as Nightwing, to his eventual tenure as the bat himself. The depth in both Grayson and Drake's story is why I have them both ranked ahead of Damian(He's still awesome). His story as a whole no doubt sits above the rest. But when you say time as Robin, Drake get's my nod.

So what do you guys think, agree, disagree? Feel free to add on if you like. Just my ten cents.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@pokeysteve said:

I grew up with Dick as Robin. 60's Batman (reruns but still), the Animated Series, Batman Forever (I was 9 when it came out so shush), and he was Robin for decades.

Tim is a solid second. This kid deduced Wayne's identity and only got smarter and better from there, learning all he could from whoever would teach him.

Jason I feel never deserved to be Robin. He didn't belong. You look at how Tim and Dick took the role and Jason is the complete opposite. He had no real skills to build off of and was caught stealing the tires off the batmobile. His personality works way better with the Red Hood persona.

Steph wasn't Robin long enough for anyone to notice. Like her as Spoiler better anyways.

Carrie Kelly was great for that story and that's it.

Not true, most of us liked him before he was dead, he's hated mostly by Drakefans and others generally don't want to see that he was gradually becoming a good kid.

By Drake fans? More like anyone who didn't read comics with Damian in them after 2009. Can I love both? Because I love both...

Lol

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By JakeN7

Dick isn't a Robin...he's a damn legacy. Without Dick, there'd be no Robin. But he's better suited to the Nightwing role. I've never seen a better Robin then Tim. Damian redefined the role of Robin, but he doesn't have Tim's intellect or control. Damian's still a close second for me though.

Dick - The Legacy

Jason - The Rebel

Tim - The Sidekick

Carrie - The Sidenote

Stephanie - The Bait

Damian - The Badass