Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Favorite Spider-Man Writer

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Favorite Spider-Man Writer (246 votes)

Brian Michael Bendis 28%
Dan Slott 28%
David Michelinie 2%
Gerry Conway 2%
J.M. Dematteis 3%
J. Michael Straczynski 14%
Peter David 2%
Roger Stern 2%
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko 23%
Tom DeFalco 1%
Other (Specify below) 1%

It's a big week for Peter Parker. Not only is his latest movie, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, opening in the U.S. (check out our review here), but Spider-Man also has a brand new volume starting this week! To celebrate the popular hero's big news, we want to reflect on his history in comics. We've already discussed our favorite villain in his rogues gallery, but now we want all of you -- yes, that includes you -- to think about all of the talented minds that have made an impact on the wall-crawler's life. We've added 10 names to the poll (plus "other" because adding every single big name would be a mess) and we want to see who your favorite one is.

Need some time to think about all of the web-slinger's stories? Totally understandable and we're not going to make you rush to a conclusion. Voting will stay open until Thursday morning (ET), so hopefully that's enough time for you to give this question a proper amount of thought. After you select a writer, be sure to tell us why the person earned your praise. Make your post awesome enough and there's a chance we'll highlight it in the updated feature. Now, go re-read some Spidey stories and then vote, Viners!

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opens in U.S. theaters this Friday. Be sure to check the homepage on Thursday for an updated results article!

• 
Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#101  Edited By Anjales_II

@anjales said:

Tell me,that,even one of these things DIDN'T happen......

Shock Value = check (everyone were talking about this book,and Peter's death)

Attempt to get attention = check (Spider-Man got attention again,because like Slott himself said,Superior was selling a lot better than any Amazing book HE wrote....)

Make a quick cash grab = check (second part of my arguement above....)

Back to status quo like nothing happened = Well,half the people he talked(Peter) accepted the fact that he swiched brains without any particular problem,and didn't even,ask twise......also,he ,presumably,threw away all his costumes and left only the classic, also they're through with Mary and he's a loner again,cuz he's out of the Avengers.......isn't this kind of "status-quo-ish" ??.....

I think you misunderstood me. Yes all those three happened, but SSM was not done with the purpose of accomplishing those 3 things, it went beyond all that. SSM was not a quick cash grab. A quick cash grab is a short term financial gain, from what I saw, it actually made a lot of cash, SSM was constantly getting a lot of buys. Had SSM made a nice revenue in the beginning and then nose dived, I would have agreed with you, but from what I recall, I constantly drew a solid number of buys.

Okay, fine, you read ASM#1, and I just got done reading it, and how can you say "things went back to normal like nothing happened". If anything, that issue should have showed how much SSM has changed the future of Spider-Man. Here's the current status quo, Peter is currently the OWNER OF A COMPANY, and he has no idea what to do with it, and was asked to continue Ock's work on cybernetics, something he has no idea about, and if he fails, he'll fail the company. So that's far from "like nothing has happened". Also, there's the little thing concerning Anna Marie and the fact that he is now living with this girl who adores him yet he knows nothing about her, and also the major bombshell that Ock was planning to propose to her, and let's not forget SHE KNOWS HE'S SPIDER-MAN. And yes he's now a loner again, but you're only looking at this superficially. MJ, who was part of Spidey's main cast for most of his existence, is now dating someone else and seems to have left the main cast for now (with the exception of a small cameo appearance), and Carlie Cooper, who was part of Spidey's main cast since Brand New Day, also seems to have left and there was no trace of her in ASM#1. Also, Peter announced that he has severed all ties to Spider-Man. According to those who don't know his dual identity, Peter has always been somehow connected to Spidey, weather it was taking pictures of him or making his tech, so now, as far as the public is concerned. Peter has no ties to Spider-Man whatsoever, so the means, the plot device of having the villains who don't know his identity try to get to Spider-Man through Peter Parker, is no more. And there's also thing with Black Cat where she is now basically a bitter villain vowing to torture and destroy Spider-Man, a concept that has rarely, if ever been explored with Black Cat. And also, Electro has destroyed the prison, reached a new power level and is coming for Spider-Man for revenge for what Ock did to him. All these are direct ramifications of SSM, so to elaborate, no things did not go back to normal like nothing's happened, it's far from 5-10% impact on the hero's life, when obviously, ASM is exploring the aftermaths of SSM, and some of them are going to be used for future storylines.

"He wanted to do Spider-Verse with Ock.......the editorial said to him to do it with Peter........Spider-Verse is the gathering of all Spider-Men,and at the end it would have been shown that the best of em all is Peter........well,he wanted Ock.....

That's the "true value" he wanted so much to show......

I just think he run oout of ideas.He reached his pick with Superior."

Did he say that in an interview? Because it seemed like the plan was always to bring Peter back around the same time as his new movie, and Spider-Verse takes place at the end of 2014. long after the movie. And that's what happened.

Whatever, even if he did, it doesn't matter what he "wanted" to show, what matters is what he did show, and that's that Peter is the "Superior" Spider-Man, and that is what he will probably show at the end of Spider-Verse. And also, SSM was supposed to be a mini-series, a six issue story arc, 18 tops and was never supposed to be an ongoing series spanning over 30 issues if it wasn't for editorial. And I'm confused, one minute you say, Slott wanted to continue Ock through Spider-Verse, but only brought back Peter because of editorial, the other you say, Slott stopped SSM because he was out of ideas. In my mind, Slott was given an opportunity to write a book covering the adventures of Ock as Spider-Man, and he had 31 issues to tell this story. What Slott did is he tried to get everything he could out of that story, until he sucked completely dry, and then, when he did everything he could do with it, he brought Peter back. Nevertheless, it doesn't matter, Peter was always coming back, and the value I spoke of was always going to be showed, weither it was now, or a few months from now. It's a value that Slott has visited several times before in his run on ASM, he re-visited it in SSM, and he will revisit it again in Spider-Verse. And honestly, there's no way they'd do a massive story-line involving every single Spider-Man in existence without using the original, and I would not be surprised if SpOck actually appears in it.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

These results should not be surprising to a degree. It's hard to ask someone 20 years old to vote for someone who wrote the character 40-50 years ago. Or even 20 years ago. True, they could read all the back issues, but who has time for that? Plus, they get used to the character being a certain way. Literature reflects the times. In the 1970's Gerry Conway wrote Peter and MJ and everybody as teens from the 70's, because that's what they were. It's asking a bit much for younger readers today to read those stories and not see them as "dated". Just as today's stories will be "dated" to newer readers 20-30 years from now. While I think folks can still appreciate what the older writers did, and even have sentiment for the guys that created the character, everyone's going to have a bias towards his/her own generation. Most Viners are in their 20's (or thereabouts, I'd guess.) While I'm sure they are aware of the older writers, their "relationship" with Spider-Man probably only goes back to 2000 or so. If we did the same thing with Batman writers, I'm sure Snyder would get more votes than O'Neil or Englehart.

Well said even though a young guy like myself does appreciate Straczynski's run :)

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: I actually do see where you're coming from, even though I do not hate JSM's work like you do. I am not a fan of the whole "chosen one" thing, and the funny thing is that JSM actually killed off most of the characters her made (Shade, Shathra, Ezekiel, and Morlun before he was recovered in Black Panther). And let's not talk about the Gwen/Norman thing. But what he did do, was write some of Spidey's strongest and emotional issues. There's the Conversation issue where May discovers Peter's secret, the Return of Mary Jane and how the two of them are trying to rekindle their love, the 9/11 issue. And say what you want about Morlun as a character, but the most appealing thing about him is that he was a force of nature who Spidey has never, and could never defeat. He wrote an issue where Spidey was fighting against Morlun for hours non-stop, and while Spidey was beyond exhausted, Morlun just kept going, that was a very interesting dynamic. And his parts of The Other story-line were strongest out of all the cross-overs (since the story-line was spread over all the SM titles). He also wrote Back in Black, showing Spider-Man hitting Rock Bottom, and while not all of it were hits, there some very strong and emotional parts, and in my opinion the most memorable one was the fight with Kingpin. Now if we're comparing Slott and JSM, I have to go with Slott simply because JSM's had bigger misses and lesser hits than Slott.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#105  Edited By Darling_Luna

BMB, cause thats the first Spiderman I read

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@anjales said:

"He wanted to do Spider-Verse with Ock.......the editorial said to him to do it with Peter........Spider-Verse is the gathering of all Spider-Men,and at the end it would have been shown that the best of em all is Peter........well,he wanted Ock.....

That's the "true value" he wanted so much to show......

I just think he run oout of ideas.He reached his pick with Superior."

Did he say that in an interview? Because it seemed like the plan was always to bring Peter back around the same time as his new movie, and Spider-Verse takes place at the end of 2014. long after the movie. And that's what happened.

Whatever, even if he did, it doesn't matter what he "wanted" to show, what matters is what he did show, and that's that Peter is the "Superior" Spider-Man, and that is what he will probably show at the end of Spider-Verse. And also, SSM was supposed to be a mini-series, a six issue story arc, 18 tops and was never supposed to be an ongoing series spanning over 30 issues if it wasn't for editorial. And I'm confused, one minute you say, Slott wanted to continue Ock through Spider-Verse, but only brought back Peter because of editorial, the other you say, Slott stopped SSM because he was out of ideas. In my mind, Slott was given an opportunity to write a book covering the adventures of Ock as Spider-Man, and he had 31 issues to tell this story. What Slott did is he tried to get everything he could out of that story, until he sucked completely dry, and then, when he did everything he could do with it, he brought Peter back. Nevertheless, it doesn't matter, Peter was always coming back, and the value I spoke of was always going to be showed, weither it was now, or a few months from now. It's a value that Slott has visited several times before in his run on ASM, he re-visited it in SSM, and he will revisit it again in Spider-Verse. And honestly, there's no way they'd do a massive story-line involving every single Spider-Man in existence without using the original, and I would not be surprised if SpOck actually appears in it.

1. Google the Spider-Verse announcement interviews,you'll find it.
  2. And i dont think SpOck will appear.......because SpOck isn't a Spider-Man.....he's a Peter Parker storyline.
Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: 1- "Slott said "you only get to do this story once," and that's why he realized it had to be a Peter Parker story, not a "Superior Spider-Man" story. Slott said that "Spider-Verse" with Doctor Octopus as the lead would be like Moriarity leading a bunch of Sherlocks. "With Peter, it's a completely different feeling."" - Source comicbookressources.com

As I said, either way, it doesn't matter, one way or another Pete was coming back sooner or later, and Slott was delivering his message either way.

2- Yes I get that, but I mean in a story where Spider-Ham and Spider-Kitty are appearing, and a Peter Parked Car (Spider-Mobile's alter ego) was considered, I thought that the Superior Spider-Man would be a no brainer. Guess, we'll have to wait and see.

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Very well said. J M S revived Spider-Man after years of mediocrity.

I also love the Lee/Ditko classics, they're fun to read to compare the old style to modern years.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#109  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon said:

@silent_bomber said:

@_linea_11 said:

@frogdog said:

Slott winning the poll proves people like terrible spider-man stories.

JMS was an example of innovation.

JMS sucked, he couldn't write Spider-Man so he changed the entire comic into faux-mysticism garbage because that was something that he actually could write, and something that was fashionable during that time period.

Then we end with a bunch of utterly repellent retcon's to the character.

After it ended? all quietly swept under the carpet.

Coming Home was just a cheap knock-off of Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut/Vs Firelord

Morlun was a cheap knock-off of Morbius, except trendier.

And yet Spider-man was never altered in an out of character way.

Yah he just altered the entire world and tone of the comic book around him and then had Spider-Man interacting with it.

Retconned Spider-Man's rogue gallery into "totemic pretenders" who feel drawn into fighting Spider-Man due to mystical nonsense, Retconned Spider-Man into being "the chosen one" instead of an every day guy with a heart who was given powers through chance, Retconed Gwen Stacy into having sordid love children using cheap soap opera writing, retconned away the marriage etc etc.

His own rogues are underdeveloped as hell and have little interesting back-story or personality.

Supposedly being destined to get the powers doesn't make him a hero or take away the fact that he was an everyday guy. Also it was too ambigious to say that his powers were destined, he just fit the role Ezekiel was looking for. He is who he is because of his decisions good or bad.

Actually the totemic pretenders was great, because it was actually true, Spider-man's appearance created villians that are made for him. There is a reason these guys fight with Spider-man and not with Cap or Hulk.

Yeah the Sins Past was awful no denying that...

Morlun and Shathra weren't supposed to be explored, they are both forces of nature made to give Peter some inside mental conflict and of course some physical one. The character that was supposed to be explored is Ezekiel. Who is the most interesting supporting character since the 00s.