Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Favorite Batman Story

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Favorite Batman Story (463 votes)

A Death in the Family 1%
A Lonely Place of Dying 0%
Arkham Asylum 2%
Batman and Son 1%
Batman Reborn 2%
Batman R.I.P. 6%
Born to Kill 0%
Bruce Wayne: Murderer? 0%
Court of Owls 10%
Death of the Family 4%
Gates of Gotham 0%
Gotham by Gaslight 0%
Heart of Hush 0%
Hush 15%
Knightfall 5%
Mad Love 0%
No Man's Land 4%
The Black Glove 0%
The Black Mirror 4%
The Dark Knight Returns 9%
The Killing Joke 11%
The Long Halloween 8%
Tower of Babel 1%
Under the Red Hood 6%
Year One 8%
Other (Please Specify Below) 3%

DC's legendary character has been at the center of countless excellent stories. Over the years, dozens upon dozens of talented writers and artists have spent some time with the Dark Knight, producing superb tales which are widely loved and often considered classics.

There's always so much to recommend when it comes to Batman's "must read" stories, but this week, we want to know which one is your personal favorite and why. We have quite a few on the list, but it's unrealistic to think we could get everything. So, in the event your top read isn't on the poll, vote "Other" and be sure to specify what it is in your post.

The poll will stay open until Thursday morning (ET). Once the poll is locked, a new article will go live with the results and more. If you want to go the extra mile, go ahead and get your elaboration on. Tell us why a certain story is so special to you and maybe this will motivate one of your fellow Viners to give the book a read. Check the homepage Thursday to see the results and more!

• 
14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By 14NC3

S**T. I got mixed up and voted for death in the family when I meant to vote for death of the family :( Anyways, I wanted to vote for that because the plot was amazing, as was the art and because the Joker was frickin awesome in it. I loved all the tie-ins that I managed to read as well. Hush is a very close second and the killing joke is third.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#2  Edited By Extremis

I know its new and it's not considered a classic (yet), but Court of Owls is my favorite.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By the_tree

Definitely RIP. It's genius in every sense of the word.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Jeeez this is really hard.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

DOF.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

No Caption Provided

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I voted Year One. Long Halloween and Hush are up there as well for me.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I could just say Morrison's whole run :/

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ThomasElliot

I love the 'classics'... I tend to re-read Dark Knight Returns for the heck of it every couple of years... but R.I.P. (and its connected arcs like Black Glove) is the one story arc that not only did I read and re-read, but was scouring the internet for explanations, opinions and insight. It took my interaction with a comic book to a whole other level. Many of these comic blogs that I peruse now on a daily basis is BECAUSE of R.I.P.!

Some people hate that and that's ok. Some people say you shouldn't have to do a Google search to understand some points of a story and I get that... but I personally found it entertaining and engaging and ultimately, you don't have to do all that to understand R.I.P.

And for reference, I've been collecting Batman since I was a kid... beginning around the Year Three story arc.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm gonna read more before I vote

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps everyone would say Zero Year if you asked a few months later

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Voted for The Long Halloween

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

It's a toss up between RIP and Killing Joke. Oh what the hell, I've actually read RIP first hand so I may as well vote for that. But for me, RIP and Killing Joke are the two best Batman stories ever.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Knight Returns. Under the Red Hood was a close second.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By Zeeguy91

You know what, I was gonna vote Year One, which I really loved, but I ended up voting "Other," and I'm gonna say its a tie between Year One, Prey, Court of Owls, and Tower of Babel.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3 said:

S**T. I got mixed up and voted for death in the family when I meant to vote for death of the family :( Anyways, I wanted to vote for that because the plot was amazing, as was the art and because the Joker was frickin awesome in it. I loved all the tie-ins that I managed to read as well. Hush is a very close second and the killing joke is third.

I agree on the Joker, how awesome he was. I thought the whole story was awesome all together but I was a little disappointed in the end. I didn't think it was a dramatic enough ending for that awesome story.

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 14NC3

@g_money_christmas said:

@14nc3 said:

I agree on the Joker, how awesome he was. I thought the whole story was awesome all together but I was a little disappointed in the end. I didn't think it was a dramatic enough ending for that awesome story.

I understand why you'd say and it wasn't bang out amazing but it was satisfying enough for me.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is a really hard question.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By TDK_1997

The fact that Court of Owls has more votes than R.I.P is really sad.

NoahMcnasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NoahMcnasty

how in gods name is R.I.P higher than hush. im guessing the people voting haven't read it.

Flying_J87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked "Other." Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader. Close seconds were Long Halloween, Killing Joke, and Black Mirror. And sigh, the love Grant Morrison's run gets just baffles me. Overly convoluted, weird for the sake of being weird, disjointed as hell, and frankly just uninteresting IMO.

MrPrivateStock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrPrivateStock

i voted the killing joke because thats one of my favorite batman stories ever written, but i think my true favorite scene that has to do with batman is in Identity Crisis when batman finds zatanna mindwiping doctor light and the lesser JLAers watching her do it, only to be frozen and mindwiped by zatanna as well. this really was the first comic book title to make me cry when i was younger and was influential in how i saw superheroes growing up.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

how in gods name is R.I.P higher than hush. im guessing the people voting haven't read it.

If you'd read RIP, you'd see why people think it's higher than Hush. Hush is at best a good story. RIP is analysing, testing and stripping Batman down to his essence with plenty of intelligent themes and plots coming into play. In short, it's an intelligent work of literature that examines the Batman mythology right down to the bone so to speak.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hush :)

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Saren

Hush is fun for new readers, but that's about all it is ultimately.

microwave25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Hush is so average! And Court of Owls doesn't deserve to be called the greatest Batman story just yet in my opinion.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#28  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Currently my favorite Batman storyline is...

No Caption Provided

Second to this I'd have to go with The Court of Owls/The City of Owls storyline.

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fil123

toss up between hush and long Halloween for me (RIP trade is actually on it way to my house from amazon as i speak). decided to go with hush because batman revealing his identity to catwoman and beating up superman

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Saren

i voted the killing joke because thats one of my favorite batman stories ever written, but i think my true favorite scene that has to do with batman is in Identity Crisis when batman finds zatanna mindwiping doctor light and the lesser JLAers watching her do it, only to be frozen and mindwiped by zatanna as well. this really was the first comic book title to make me cry when i was younger and was influential in how i saw superheroes growing up.

10 years later, I don't think the spoiler block is necessary :)

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hush is so average! And Court of Owls doesn't deserve to be called the greatest Batman story just yet in my opinion.

Court of Owls doesn't deserve to be mentioned in a list of the best Batman stories, but it's an accessible, easy to read story and Snyder's the flavor of the season. It'll win.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hush is the sucksorz!
BB

anthonyhillman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, The Long Halloween is everything a great Batman story should be. A dark detective story, which really gets the reader thinking from the beginning. Batman predominantly taking on mobsters rather than superpowered criminals (though the superpowered criminals do play a crucial role, of course), and providing a fantastic story for Harvey Dent and Two-Face. Quite simply, Batman at its best... though it was a really tight between that and a selection of others which also showcase Batman at his best:

Year One
Hush
The Man Who Laughs
The Black Mirror
The Killing Joke
Dark Victory
The Dark Knight Returns
R.I.P.
Batman & Robin Must Die!
The Court Of Owls

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many great choices, too hard to decide, specially between Arkham Asylum, RIP and YO.

Mulder15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By Mulder15

How is The Killing Joke being beaten. @_@

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 k4tzm4n  Moderator

You know how Battle of the Week has a Viner Argument highlighted for the winner? I think I'll do the same for the question of the week. "Viner Post of the Week For..." could be fun.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

This was extremely difficult for me. I ended up going with the easy answer of Year One but Court of Owls, Hush, The Long Halloween, and The Black Mirror were all under consideration for me. I ultimately went with Year One because it is one of the books that I pick up and reread quite regularly. Court of Owls may become that as well because I have already reread that one just a couple months ago. In the end, no matter the answer given, there are a lot of great Batman stories by great writers. I am lucky to be able to read such wonderful writing for my favorite character.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose Under the red Hood but Hush is a close second for me.

MrPrivateStock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MrPrivateStock

@citizenbane: true but eh, i know if i was just getting into comics now, i'd appreciate having the option to not have a crucial part of any story arc spoiled

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Saren
SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@fil123: Good pick. My favorite aspects of Hush are absolutely Batman's relationship with Catwoman. It was done so well.

kingdomenic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

The Many Deaths of Batman: Batman 433-435. There's some cool stuff in these issues.

And people need to stop voting for RIP. Like now.

ReachDestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ReachDestroyer

When you understand who Batman is, and truly LOVE (yeah I went there) the character you are ready to read Grant Morrison's run. Until then, you can have your Scott Snyder and Hush.

As for the poll, I'll be voting for RIP as a representative for the whole of Grant Morrison's run.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Year One.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hush. Also I notice Nightwing is not in Batman's cape.

anthonyhillman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Year One. I read it again recently. It still holds up.

Darklexeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised there aren't more votes for No Man's Land, that's the one I picked because of how well it developed the characters in Gotham, especially the villains with how they controlled different areas. Penguin was really amazing in it.

clemj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the killing joke or the dar knight returns... respect the classics