TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Respect Captain Cold!!

No Caption Provided

Leonard Snart is Captain Cold, one of the most feared villains to come out of Central City. A man with a unique outlook on crime, Cold runs a criminal group known as the Rogues, and with them combats the speedster heroes within the Flash Family. To combat their speed he utilizes a weapon known as the Cold Gun; not just your simple freeze ray, the Cold Gun can slow down molecules to a dead stop by harnessing the power of Absolute Zero.

So, lets get to the respect!

Note: This will feature feats from throughout Captain Cold's entire canon; meaning there will be Silver Age, Post COIE, and N52/Rebirth feats showcased. I do not have feats of Captain Cold's meta abilities, because, to be honest, he was less impressive than when he used his gear.

Table of Contents

1. Weaponry (Cold Gun / Cold Belt / Cold Grenade)
  2. Intelligence / Skills
  3. Physical Attributes (Strength / Speed / Durability)

1.0 Weaponry

Captain Cold's most useful asset is his various cold technologies. He's had several different unique weapons during his history but the mainstay is that of the Cold Gun. All of his weapons and their functions will be covered here.

1.1 The Cold Gun

The Cold is Snart's primary means of attack and is the most useful of his weapons. It was designed by Snart using blueprints from existing technologies. It's worth noting that Captain Cold is one of the only individuals (perhaps the only) in the DC Universe who has a weapon that can harness Absolute Zero.

Cold Gun Functions (Mirages)

A function seen only during the Silver Age -- the explanation was that since intense heat could cause hallucinations/mirages so could intense cold. It was the Silver Age, that's the only explanation we need.

• Showcase #8 - Generates a mirage of a polar bear that lasts for several minutes.
  • Showcase #8 - Generates several mirages to confuse Flash.
  • The Flash V1 #114 - Generates a mirage of a giant insect to attack/confuse Flash.
  • The Flash V1 #129 - Generates a mirage of Trickster that fools Jay Garrick.
  • The Flash V1 #134 - Generates a mirage of a large mutant butterfly.
  • The Flash V1 #150 - Generates a fully functioning mirage of the Maharanee of Jodapur that fools Barry Allen and another that disguises him AS Barry Allen.
  • The Flash V1 #150 - Mentions that he can animate his mirages and have them follow a routine.
  • The Flash V1 #150 - Generates a large frost-giant that has a light-based attack that Flash only dodges because he went FTL.

Cold Gun Functions (Ice Generation/Cold Blasts)

A primary means of attack for the Cold Gun. It doesn't project ice, but simply freezes the water molecules in the air to generate ice. It works incredibly quickly and can generate large masses of ice that Captain Cold can use in a variety of creative ways; both offensively and defensively. People or things that become encased in Cold's ice become very brittle and can break with very little force.

• Showcase #8 - Freezes an entire skyscraper and everything inside. Makes a steel vault door so brittle Captain Cold can break it with a tiny hammer.
  • The Flash V1 #114 - Generates a large glacier that encases Flash in ice.
  • The Flash V1 #129 - Freezes several bank tellers and makes metal bars as brittle as glass.
  • The Flash V1 #129 - Generates a large pillar of ice to stop Trickster; also freezes Barry Allen Flash.
  • The Flash V1 #129 - Generates a forest of large icicles.
  • The Flash V1 #134 - Freezes several people with a single blast.
  • The Flash V1 #140 - Shoots some low lying clouds to freeze the people below them.
  • The Flash V1 #140 - Cancels out Heatwave's Flamethrower.
  • The Flash V1 #150 - Generates blocks of ice in mid-air for Captain Cold to use as steps.
  • The Flash V1 #342 - Uses a Frigo-Blast to trap Flash in a giant snowball momentarily. Would take five-tenths of a second to lower ever cell in his body to minus 1000 degrees.
  • The Flash V2 #27 - Freezes someone's gun and then makes an ice-slide for himself and Golden Glider.
  • The Flash V2 #28 - Generates a massive snowball around himself keeping him safe from Wally West's attacks and allowing him to surprise Wally.
  • The Flash V2 #28 - Generates a massive amount of 'ice cannonballs' to shoot at Wally West.
  • The Flash V2 #28 - Freezes three people instantly.
  • The Flash V2 #164 - Freezes an AU Mick Rory and knocks his head off killing him. Also breaks through some metal bars to free Flash from prison.
  • The Flash V2 #165 - An explanation to how the Cold Gun works from Captain Cold himself. It negates thermal motion stopping protons and electrons in their tracks.
  • The Flash V2 #165 - Easily punches off a man's jaw after freezing it, then instantly freezes several guards.
  • The Flash V2 #166 - Blast from the Cold Gun hurts/stops Superboy.
  • The Flash V2 #167 - Creates a slick icy path that causes a mirror world version of Captain Cold to slip.
  • The Flash V2 #174 - Freezes part of Tar Pit's arm.
  • The Flash V2 #177 - Instantly freezes someone.
  • The Flash V2 #182 - Can choose to only freeze Chillblaine's skin making it so they can't move but will still feel pain.
  • The Flash V2 #182 - Generates several large ice spikes faster than it took Chillblaine to fall from the top of the building Captain Cold threw him off. Important to note that Cold fired his gun AFTER tossing him.
  • The Flash V2 #204 - Generates a large ice wall/barrier.
  • The Flash V2 #206 - Freezes Wally West & puts a large ice spike through someone trying to frame him.
  • The Flash V2 #221 - Stalemates Heatwave's Flamethrower once more. Note: His Flamethrower is hot enough to melt Flash's friction-proof boots.
  • The Flash V2 #222 - Freezes the Top solid and shatters him into several pieces.
  • The Flash V2 #223 - Generates a massive ice wall.
  • Blue Devil #19 - Freezes Kid Devil and forms a giant fist out of ice.
  • Teen Titans: Cold Case - Counters Kid Devil's fire breath & overpowers him.
  • Countdown #46 - Freezes Mirror Master & Pied Piper in a non-lethal manner.
  • Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge #1 - Freezes one of Trickster's goons instantly.
  • Forever Evil #6 - Has a voice activation mode (Jingle Bells, Batman Smells) and is used to freeze (and shatter) Johnny Quick's leg.
  • Justice League #39 - Is able to freeze (and keep frozen) Patient Zero/Amazo (with help from Superman's Freeze Breath) who was previously fighting Superman & Wonder Woman at the same time.

Cold Gun Functions (Cold Field)

A defensive attack that is frequently utilized by Cold. By projecting a wide beam he can produce a field of Absolute Zero around himself that moves with him, freezing anything it comes in contact with and stopping those who try to breach it in their tracks. The field is also difficult to detect; it can't be seen except for a light shimmering effect. Cold himself states that nothing short of a speeding Flash can get through it.

• The Flash V2 #166 - Projects the Cold Field to block a bunch of bullets. Explains to Wally West that nothing short of a Flash's momentum will break through and even then it'll slow Flash down.
  • The Flash V2 #182 - Cold Field used once again to stop a bunch of bullets.
  • The Flash V2 #185 - Cold Field moves with Captain Cold.
  • The Flash V2 #204 - Cold Field stops a bottle in mid air and holds it there during the duration of Captain Cold's conversation with Wally West.
  • Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge #2 - Cold Field freezes the arm of a Captain Cold wannabe. Makes his arm so brittle that Captain Cold knocks it off with a simple hit.
  • Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint ft. The Flash - Cold Field stops a blast of lightning from Weather Wizard. It is worth noting this IS from an alternate universe (Flashpoint) but all the Rogues kept their technology so I don't see why this isn't valid.

1.2 The Cold Belt

The Cold Belt was an item that saw limited use despite the fact that Cold still wears the belt to this day. It has similar functions to the Cold Gun, just in belt form.

• The Flash V1 #114 - Projects an impulse of absolute cold across the city; freezing everyone except for Iris West and Cold himself due to the fact that he treated them with negative radiation.

1.3 The Cold Grenade

An item that only has one appearance, during Blackest Night. The Cold Grenade was a grenade that projected a field of absolute zero upon detonation.

2.0 Intelligence/Skills

Captain Cold may seem like an unintelligent individual, in fact, Lex Luthor once mentioned he barely made it through high school, but despite this Cold is actually incredibly intelligent, his cold technologies surpassing that of Mr. Freeze. He's also a talented leader (having kept the Rogues together as long as he has) and a decent strategist, after all, you've gotta be able to make some sort of decent plan if you're a normal human trying to stand up against the fastest man alive, right?

• The Flash V1 #114 - Built a smaller version of his cold gun using scraps he found in prison.
  • The Flash V1 #140 - Built his cold gun using spare parts from a refrigeration unit in a prison workshop.
  • The Flash V1 #250 - Created a friction proof ice compound that Flash couldn't melt.
  • The Flash V1 #251 - Knows how to place his body in a sub-zero metabolic trance to appear dead and also give him ice powers for a limited time.
  • The Flash V2 #186 - Understands how Mirror Master's powers work and how to counter them.
  • Forever Evil #4 - Builds a Cold Gun out of parts found in a regular appliance store while on the run from the Crime Syndicate. Surprises Lex Luthor with his intelligence on the subject.
  • The Flash Rebirth #17 - Builds a modified cold gun w/S.T.A.R. Labs tech that allows it to absorb the Speed Force.

3.0 Physical Attributes

Captain Cold is purely human when it comes to his physical stats but he has some decent feats.

Strength

Is able to lift a grown man above his head (Flash V2 #182) and punches Mirror Master through a solid wall (Flash V2 #213)

Speed

Here is a gallery filled with several quickdraw feats against foes such as Catwoman, Barry Allen, Jay Garrick, and Wally West.

Conclusion

Captain Cold is one of the best "cold" users in comics and his master of Absolute Zero just makes him that much more of a threat. His intelligence and strategies to combat Flash are fun and unique and I love how his moral code operates (never kill women or children, sends flowers to heroes when their loved ones get killed, etc.) it really makes the Rogues unique.

I'll probably do another member of the Rogues soon (as they are my favorite villain group) but hope you enjoy this Captain Cold one in the meantime!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The second best cold user in Dc

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The second best cold user in CV

Who do you rate as number one? Ice Man?

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Good stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

love Captain Cold :) people don't realize that before Batman: The Animated Series, Mr. Freeze was little more than a second-rate version of him

No Caption Provided
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazing_webhead: He's pretty great, and the way he's written makes him always interesting to see in a story. Freeze has even admitted his technologies can't reach Absolute Zero like Cold's can, so even with TAS Cold trumps Freeze, heh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@amazing_webhead: He's pretty great, and the way he's written makes him always interesting to see in a story. Freeze has even admitted his technologies can't reach Absolute Zero like Cold's can, so even with TAS Cold trumps Freeze, heh.

that too :)

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nice respect thread you got there, dude.

Snart's always been one of my favorite villains in DC Comics. Dude's a complex character (Flash Volume 2 Issue 182 is still one of my favorite character study issues) and a beast in battle at the same time.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Always preferred Mister Freeze over him, great job nonetheless.

UltraPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will you make a respect thread on King Cold, now that he has these new powers?

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will you make a respect thread on King Cold, now that he has these new powers?

I haven't been keeping up with recent comics so I'm not knowledgeable on the current state of Cold & his powers/abilities but I'd be willing to catch up and update the thread sometime, sure.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love Captain Cold, glad to see him get respect. A great example of a character being a “bad guy”, but not necessarily a bad guy.

Plus he’s arguably the most powerful ice villain in DC

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wolfrazer

Huh interesting. Surprised that he even is better than Freeze, thought for sure it’d be the other way considering Victor’s background, makes more sense anyway.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomkatie said:

Love Captain Cold, glad to see him get respect. A great example of a character being a “bad guy”, but not necessarily a bad guy.

Plus he’s arguably the most powerful ice villain in DC

Yeah, his mastery of Absolute Zero puts him a grade above the rest in the ice department, also a great example of a grey area villain.

Huh interesting. Surprised that he even is better than Freeze, thought for sure it’d be the other way considering Victor’s background, makes more sense anyway.

It is certainly odd that Snart has the superior cold technology, but he's had the crown for quite some time. Guess you need to if your a normal dude trying to fight The Flash!

Whathappened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: How fast in your opinion is this guy? His speed is often hard to quantify because Flash always holds back

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: How fast in your opinion is this guy? His speed is often hard to quantify because Flash always holds back

I'd put him somewhere in peak human for his speed if I'm being honest. He doesn't have many quantifiable showings that showcase his speed specifically and his weapon, the Cold Gun, often causes targets around him to move slower due to how they're affected by the temperature.

Whathappened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: Wow, that's lame. I've seen him quick-shot Flash even when Barry was looking right at him, before activating the cold field. I guess those are outliers, huh? Here's another question, and I'm reading (2016+) Flash comics online right now, do the cold field move with Captain Cold, like a force field, or is it a stationary object (like a sitting duck basically)? Just trying to learn the character, going to use him for an upcoming debate. Starting to appreciate Flash comics a whole lot more now, although I can't help but compare Flash to Superman in a lot of things. I'm at the arc where Flash is fighting the Turtle in the future, who became King and took over the city.

Sazzmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: Wow, that's lame. I've seen him quick-shot Flash even when Barry was looking right at him, before activating the cold field. I guess those are outliers, huh? Here's another question, and I'm reading (2016+) Flash comics online right now, do the cold field move with Captain Cold, like a force field, or is it a stationary object (like a sitting duck basically)? Just trying to learn the character, going to use him for an upcoming debate. Starting to appreciate Flash comics a whole lot more now, although I can't help but compare Flash to Superman in a lot of things. I'm at the arc where Flash is fighting the Turtle in the future, who became King and took over the city.

In regards to his speed it's difficult to quantify how fast the Flashes are moving due to his cold field, hence why I stated he's peak human in his standard speed, he's reacted to bullets and tagged some other speedsters but his whole gimmick is slowing people down, the scan below is a good example of Cold talking about his own speed:

No Caption Provided

The Cold Field does move with him, you can see an example of this in Flash V2 #185 (there is a link in the above RT to the scan I'm talking about) so it isn't stationary. It's also not obvious that the field is surrounding him when he activates it.

Whathappened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Whathappened
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: Have you read the recent issues with King Cold? Snart was amped so much, I really want to talk about it, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Also, what are your thoughts on this feat?: https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-2c3d14f7fb6c387e1985c5fbdfb26ecc

I read some of the King Cold stuff but still have some to catch up on, the amp seems interesting though.

In regards to the linked feat; it seems silly that Superman's heat vision would, for whatever reason, cause Snart's weapon to explode.

Whathappened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Whathappened

@thetruebarryallen: You need to finish it, all of it. Snart is a freaking beast now, not simply a BAMF anymore. And the writing is very good as well, imo.

Superman needed to win, since he clearly can't survive Absolute Zero (interesting how the gun is absolute zero instead of just the cold field). The main feat is a supposed matching Superman's heat vision, which can melt a planet, and almost hitting him (a speed feat?)

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: You need to finish it, all of it. Snart is a freaking beast now, not simply a BAMF anymore. And the writing is very good as well, imo.

Superman needed to win, since he clearly can't survive Absolute Zero (interesting how the gun is absolute zero instead of just the cold field). The main feat is a supposed matching Superman's heat vision, which can melt a planet, and almost hitting him (a speed feat?)

I understand Superman needed to win, just seems like whoever was writing that picked a stupid way for Snart to lose.

ColdZero1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ColdZero1996

I disagree about New 52 Cold.. was stated to be more powerful with his powers as he was able to keep up with the Flash now and yeah I understand the feats themselves aren't really impressive but his fights with flash showed me he surely was more powerful. but great job man on the thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-62bb20d3566c2
deactivated-62bb20d3566c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Pretty good thread.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree about New 52 Cold.. was stated to be more powerful with his powers as he was able to keep up with the Flash now and yeah I understand the feats themselves aren't really impressive but his fights with flash showed me he surely was more powerful. but great job man on the thread.

He's "kept up with Flash" both with and without his powers. I simply didn't bother covering his 'meta' showings because he had very few interactions with Flash that displayed anything noteworthy before having those abilities stripped of him during Forever Evil: Rogues Revenge.

He wasn't bad -- but it wasn't worth my time to collect any 'feats' from that period.

Thanks though.

ColdZero1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: True they did waste him tbh. you should do an update showing King Cold's feats as well that would be cool.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: True they did waste him tbh. you should do an update showing King Cold's feats as well that would be cool.

Yeah I've been meaning to read the recent Flash stuff, will probably add it once I do!