Captain America or Superman: Who Earns More Of Your Respect?

• 56 results
#1 Edited by MyronLee26 (1172 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America or Superman: Which Hero Earns More Of Your Respect?

No Caption Provided

Taking two of the most iconic superhero's ever, given there accomplishment, views, struggles, and triumphs, who would you say earns more of your respect? The Sentinel of Liberty or the Last Son of Krypton?

No Caption Provided
#2 Posted by cattlebattle (17913 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap, 

Superman can do anything...its unfair

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going with Cap

#4 Posted by Dracade102 (8452 posts) - - Show Bio

Stalemate for me. 

Even as a relic of America's War Propaganda, Cap's ideals are more open minded and respectable than most others out there... And even though Superman has so many powers and doesn't seem to be challenged easily, he handles his responsibilities pretty well and humbles himself when he can.

#5 Posted by SC (18217 posts) - - Show Bio

Denny Crane. Exclamation mark. 

#6 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman, I don't like the Cap

#7 Posted by ThexX (1615 posts) - - Show Bio

I respect Cap more then Superman. Superman is way to powerful

#8 Posted by Deadcool (6944 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know...

#9 Posted by TDK_1997 (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

Sups.

#10 Edited by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThexX said:

I respect Cap more then Superman. Superman is way to powerful

Since when is being powerful a reason not to respect someone? Though don't get me wrong, I can see why someone would choose the Captain over the Man of Steel.

It's a tie for me really.

#11 Posted by biggkeem89 (1478 posts) - - Show Bio

Respect Cap WAY more than Supes. Cap holds steadfast to his ideals, even if the world is against him. Cap is nowhere near the most powerful hero, but he faces down world shattering threats and never backs down or gives up. Cap doesn't just get respect, his presence commands it. Supes is a boring, overpowered alien boyscout, and you know that at the end of the day, he's gonna win the fight. Cap is human, and he fails from time to time, but he never gives up. He never surrenders. Cap wins 1000 percent

#12 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (8950 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap. 100000000% all the way. He's got balls of steel.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
#13 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

After Kryptonian war, Superman.

If it doesn't count, Cap.

#14 Posted by difficlus (10659 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman edges out for me.

#16 Posted by the_stegman (40399 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman without a doubt, the man is the single most inspirational hero of all time, he may not be "relatable" or reflect who we are, but he rather reflects who we WANT to be, one of the prime examples is in Grounded. A woman is about to commit suicide, instead of simply using his powers to take her down from the roof before she does it, he stays with her ALL DAY and talks to her about her problems, listens, and understands, not many heroes (at least ones i've seen) would be willing to do that. 

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
#17 Posted by ComicCrazy (1640 posts) - - Show Bio

They both give off intense patriotic characteristics...I'm Australian and even I might have to say Cap just because I think his character is more than the embodiment of truth and justice cause he also feels like a real person and has human problems grounded in reality...while I'm not one of those people that thinks writers need to make Superman relatable I just think in terms of character and earning respect I might have to say Cap cause he is just a human trying his best to do the things that Superman was just born with the ability to do......sorry if that was conviluted.

#18 Posted by Markall (182 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman ftw

#19 Posted by progenitorigin (7564 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America earns my respect more than Superman. Not that I don't believe Superman doesn't deserve respect, but Captain America is someone I can more identify with and look up to.

#20 Edited by super_psycho (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Superman without a doubt, the man is the single most inspirational hero of all time, he may not be "relatable" or reflect who we are, but he rather reflects who we WANT to be, one of the prime examples is in Grounded. A woman is about to commit suicide, instead of simply using his powers to take her down from the roof before she does it, he stays with her ALL DAY and talks to her about her problems, listens, and understands, not many heroes (at least ones i've seen) would be willing to do that.

This also..

without any second thought superman.

Loading Video...
#21 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29886 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap.

#22 Posted by Billy Batson (60941 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither.
BB

#23 Posted by Magian (152955 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman.

#24 Posted by ssejllenrad (13112 posts) - - Show Bio

Tie for me. Superman has got more dedication to his principles. Cap has more guts. I'm not saying Cap is not dedicated to his principles and Supes has got no guts. They just edge each other out in the respective fields IMO.

#25 Posted by the_stegman (40399 posts) - - Show Bio

so far  

Cap: 9 

Supes: 7 

and quite a few undecideds/ties

#26 Posted by Saren (27941 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes.

@The Stegman: Where are those scans from?

#27 Posted by Saren (27941 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: Never mind, I got it.

#28 Posted by the_stegman (40399 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane: it is one of my favorite Superman moments
#29 Posted by Billy Batson (60941 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman:

Is it Grounded?
BB

#30 Posted by gravitypress (2102 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap for me. He has to work harder.

#31 Posted by the_stegman (40399 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson: yup, i know a lot of people dislike the arc, but i personally enjoyed Grounded
#32 Posted by Hadrelius (8097 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap America. He would face the same opponents as Superman with no chance of winning without hesitation.

But so would Batman. And to think about it, Superman man wouldn't hesitate to take on Galactus. So I guess when it comes down to it, there would be no

difference in character since they both are heroes. So how could you judge this?

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
#33 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1020 posts) - - Show Bio

They're both good, but I'm going to lean towards Superman.

Also, what hoes having powers have to do with respecting someone's ideals and achievements.People are just trying to make this into a popularity thread.

#34 Edited by Dex_Starr (4797 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@The Stegman:

Is it Grounded?
BB

Yeah, it's from Superman 701

#35 Posted by Kallarkz (3388 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm confused...why is superman being considered more of a boy scout than Captain America????

#36 Posted by Kallarkz (3388 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm confused...why is superman being considered more of a boy scout than Captain America????

#37 Posted by Billy Batson (60941 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dex_Starr:

Got the answer an hour earlier :p
BB

#38 Edited by HBKTimHBK (5731 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have to say Captain America is more of a symbol to aspire to and look up to more then Superman, so I believe he earns more respect.

#39 Posted by Soulstealer (828 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap for me. The above was one of the greatest things I can remember reading in a comic. But let me say that I've always thought of Superman as the ideal everyone wants to work toward; while Cap is the ideal America wants to work toward. That's not to say that either isn't a study in being selfless, strong and just; everything you want in a hero, it's just with Cap I feel touches of my own culture.

Supes with the suicidal woman gets mad respect from me though.

#40 Posted by the_stegman (40399 posts) - - Show Bio
@Soulstealer: very, very well said, i love how you explain why you respect Cap more rather than just saying "oh he has no super powers so he works harder for it" 
#41 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1715 posts) - - Show Bio

May I say Batman? Kidding...Well, I guess Supes. It's not what he can do. It's what he chooses to do.

#42 Posted by Video_Martian (5650 posts) - - Show Bio

I respect Superman more.

#43 Posted by Soulstealer (828 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@Soulstealer: very, very well said, i love how you explain why you respect Cap more rather than just saying "oh he has no super powers so he works harder for it"

Thank you.

However to be honest I don't think people understand that Superman has it pretty hard because of the powers. Think about his average day... the man can kill hundreds with a look (heat vision) let alone all the things he can do. There is nothing that he physically can not rip to shreds with his bare hands, including people (gotta love shaking hands, let alone being intimate with anyone). And his every single day is him holding back to a near impossible degree.

Oh and then there is the whole humanity thing. Superman has to let humanity do what it wants, he has to not take away people's choices and at the same time try to help them in a way that not only makes the world better, but doesn't strip people of their independence. Think of it this way; if Superman doesn't approve of a war he could stop it. Literally he could stop every war, but if he did, who's to say that his point of view is the right one? Very easily he could be king of the world and yet everyday with everything that happens, he decides not to. And that is a decision he has to make everyday.

#44 Posted by the_stegman (40399 posts) - - Show Bio

a few more reasons why i love Superman 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
#45 Posted by the_stegman (40399 posts) - - Show Bio
@Soulstealer:  

@The Stegman said:

Thank you.

However to be honest I don't think people understand that Superman has it pretty hard because of the powers. Think about his average day... the man can kill hundreds with a look (heat vision) let alone all the things he can do. There is nothing that he physically can not rip to shreds with his bare hands, including people (gotta love shaking hands, let alone being intimate with anyone). And his every single day is him holding back to a near impossible degree.

Oh and then there is the whole humanity thing. Superman has to let humanity do what it wants, he has to not take away people's choices and at the same time try to help them in a way that not only makes the world better, but doesn't strip people of their independence. Think of it this way; if Superman doesn't approve of a war he could stop it. Literally he could stop every war, but if he did, who's to say that his point of view is the right one? Very easily he could be king of the world and yet everyday with everything that happens, he decides not to. And that is a decision he has to make everyday. 

Even better well said! lol  
i agree with what you said plus, people say Superman has more power so he doesn't have to risk his life as much, i admit that it comes with a bit of reassurance knowing you can stop a mugging without having to worry about getting shot, but he puts his life on the line all the time against foes much stronger than him, without a second thought, people like Superboy Prime, Darkseid, Doomsday (even giving up his life in that instance) i think both heroes risk their lives equally, just at different scales.
#46 Posted by HolySerpent (13762 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes

#47 Posted by Soulstealer (828 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@Soulstealer:

@The Stegman said:

Thank you.

Oh and then there is the whole humanity thing. Superman has to let humanity do what it wants, he has to not take away people's choices and at the same time try to help them in a way that not only makes the world better, but doesn't strip people of their independence. Think of it this way; if Superman doesn't approve of a war he could stop it. Literally he could stop every war, but if he did, who's to say that his point of view is the right one? Very easily he could be king of the world and yet everyday with everything that happens, he decides not to. And that is a decision he has to make everyday.

Even better well said! lol i agree with what you said plus, people say Superman has more power so he doesn't have to risk his life as much, i admit that it comes with a bit of reassurance knowing you can stop a mugging without having to worry about getting shot, but he puts his life on the line all the time against foes much stronger than him, without a second thought, people like Superboy Prime, Darkseid, Doomsday (even giving up his life in that instance) i think both heroes risk their lives equally, just at different scales.

Agreed.

If I had powers I'm not gonna lie and say I wouldn't want some form of invulnerability and maybe a healing factor. Regardless of knowing you'll be alright or not, no one wants to die. And besides if you die, you can't keep helping people can you? Unless you're Deadman! XD

Besides what's the point of helping complete strangers if I hurt my own love ones. A hero should want to live (some have suicidal tendencies but still), wanting to live isn't a crime. And hell even the most powerless heroes still want to live. A big section of Batman's gear is dedicated to this very purpose.

#48 Posted by Dex_Starr (4797 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Superman because for all that power that he has, he still retains his morals and strives to do the right thing instead of simply taking the easy way. Steel said it best in JLU, Superman makes the right decisions, not the easy one's. Even though I wasn't fond of the grounded storyline it did show that Superman is still modest and doesn't put himself above anyone else despite his status.

Also for the record, Captain America has given up being Captain America several times. When he wanted a life with Sharon Carter, when the government wanted to fully control Captain America, when the going got tough and Cap didn't get his way he threw in the towel. People who think that Cap has never given up need to read through his original volume.

I still have great respect for Captain America but Superman ultimately deserves more respect.

#49 Posted by Conner_Wolf (6380 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America, absolutely

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Selfless. Heroic. Inspirational. This is a man who finds himself against the impossible. No flight, no invulnerability, no planetary strength, yet he stands firm for no other reason than his convictions.

#50 Posted by StormShadow_X (17488 posts) - - Show Bio

Not Captain Hydra