Posted by Blueshoecant (1186 posts) 4 months, 15 days ago

Poll: Can you understand the DCEU Ocean Master's motives for starting a war with the surface World? (44 votes)

Yes understand, because we humans have a horribly track record in maintaining environmental balance on earth 68%
No, i don't give a damn about his excuse whatsoever, he's still wrong 11%
There are good and bad people in this world 11%
He is just another example of a pathetic misguided King who is actually greedy but biased 7%
Results 2%

From your point of view.

Tell me your honest opinion on the matter

Recently my country was hit by a series of disasters, one of which was the tsunami. then when I watched the aquaman in the cinema I was reminded of a tsunami that devastated several places in my country. have we as humans been wrong with nature?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#1 Edited by Ready_4_Madness (16557 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely

#2 Posted by mrmonster (15567 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of. I mean, we humans have horribly mistreated the oceans.

But going straight to war seems like an extreme reaction. At the bare minimum he should've reached out to the surface world and tried to get us to change our ways before declaring war.

#3 Posted by Tyger (461 posts) - - Show Bio

No, i don't give a damn about his excuse whatsoever, he's still wrong

Also I hate the ocean. I prefer the 3ft section of the pool.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#4 Posted by plotweapon16255 (7813 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of. I mean, we humans have horribly mistreated the oceans.

But going straight to war seems like an extreme reaction. At the bare minimum he should've reached out to the surface world and tried to get us to change our ways before declaring war.

There's already episode based on that!

Loading Video...

#5 Posted by Chimeroid (9267 posts) - - Show Bio

His character was developed further than that.

#6 Posted by StormShadow_X (16772 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Yes it was, from his perspective he's a king whose people and way of life are being treated by inferior beings who have done nothing but wage war with themselves and hurt each other. He's honestly a better kill monger

#7 Edited by MetalJimmor (6543 posts) - - Show Bio

We are literally using his home as our toilet. We pump thousands of tons of pure garbage into the ocean every day and are personally responsible for increasing the acidity of the ocean so high that entire species are going extinct. Mostly crustaceans who's shells are becoming weaker in the new acidic ocean we're creating, making them unable to defend themselves.

At the same time we're also depleting the ocean of life. We love sea food, and we're currently fishing at such a rate that we are in real danger of eating all life in the sea. Can you even imagine that? There's a freaking Futurama episode about anchovies going extinct, and that is a real and very likely possibility we're facing right now.

Humanity is the worst thing to happen to the ocean in the history of the planet. Orm could go through with a total genocide of the surface world and I'd still argue he was justified.

The main point he messed up was not delivering a real message with his "warning shot". The warning shot doesn't mean anything in the people you're trying to threaten don't even know you exist.

#8 Posted by Heatforce (6270 posts) - - Show Bio

We are literally using his home as our toilet. We pump thousands of tons of pure garbage into the ocean every day and are personally responsible for increasing the acidity of the ocean so high that entire species are going extinct. Mostly crustaceans who's shells are becoming weaker in the new acidic ocean we're creating, making them unable to defend themselves.

At the same time we're also depleting the ocean of life. We love sea food, and we're currently fishing at such a rate that we are in real danger of eating all life in the sea. Can you even imagine that? There's a freaking Futurama episode about anchovies going extinct, and that is a real and very likely possibility we're facing right now.

Humanity is the worst thing to happen to the ocean in the history of the planet. Orm could go through with a total genocide of the surface world and I'd still argue he was justified.

The main point he messed up was not delivering a real message with his "warning shot". The warning shot doesn't mean anything in the people you're trying to threaten don't even know you exist.

Is Atlantis aware that the surface doesn't know they exist? Surely the government was aware of something. Between witches, aliens and gods they should be.c

#9 Posted by Kairan1979 (27072 posts) - - Show Bio

While his feeling towards humans are completely understandable (just imagine a bunch of aliens using Earth to dump toxic waste), to organize the false submarine attack to start the war with surface is wrong.

#10 Posted by ganon15 (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup

#11 Posted by jayc1324 (26431 posts) - - Show Bio

He had no reason to start a war. The fact that he had to stage attacks on Atlantis just proves it. He has motives for being upset at humans and he was right to dump all that trash and ship wreckage back on them in the scene where Arthur's dad almost dies, but not to start a war. He did not try diplomacy even once, he just wanted to start a war.

Humans don't even know they exist, how can you blame them for what they do. Maybe if you try to connect with them you can find a peaceful solution.

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
#12 Posted by war of light_2814 (2745 posts) - - Show Bio

Beyond the whole eco-terrorist thing, I think he hold humans responsible for dooming his mother, that's why he gives up so easily when he saw her alive. It's not really reasonable but entirely understandable.

#13 Posted by MetalJimmor (6543 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatforce:

I find it hard to believe that Atlantians aren't aware of their own hidden status. That sort of mass hiding of entire civilizations requires an active conspiracy to keep it secret. At the very least Orm and the ruling body of Atlantis should know the surface world isn't aware of them.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#14 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17641 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely understand his motivations, but I thought he had the wrong ways of going about them.

#15 Posted by APEX_pretador (20924 posts) - - Show Bio

He didn't start the war, black manta did

#16 Posted by jashro44 (53101 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand his motivations. I also think it was partially because he resented them due to blaming Arthur for his Mother's supposed death.

#17 Posted by buildhare (8712 posts) - - Show Bio

The Humans are polluting the ocean, it's genocide time!

Orm didn't care about resolving the issues, otherwise he would have tried literally anything else other than war. He just wanted to fight.

#18 Posted by kgb725 (19210 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by JasonV80 (251 posts) - - Show Bio

Humans are trashing their home and don’t care enough to make big changes. Plus, the population is increasing, which equals even more pollution. Kill em all.

#20 Posted by CCThor (1526 posts) - - Show Bio

No it’s dumb.

#21 Posted by APEX_pretador (20924 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: he hired him later to kill aquaman, not to start the war

#22 Posted by APEX_pretador (20924 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: he hired him later to kill aquaman, not to start the war

#23 Edited by kgb725 (19210 posts) - - Show Bio

@apex_pretador: It was established they had some sort of business relationship before the movie started

#24 Posted by APEX_pretador (20924 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: I might have missed it, but if it is really true then this ruins the entire film for me

#25 Posted by APEX_pretador (20924 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: I might have missed it, but if it is really true then this ruins the entire film for me

#26 Posted by Kairan1979 (27072 posts) - - Show Bio

He didn't start the war, black manta did

Like I said, the fake attack by submarine was engineered by Orm.

Avatar image for supermanforever
#27 Posted by Supermanforever (8520 posts) - - Show Bio

His motives were that surface world were ruining the seas with the polution.

Aquaman had nothing to do with that. He just hated aquaman, because he was the reason Atlanta was thrown to the trench.

He also wanted to be the Ocean master by taking control of the other Sea kingdoms by force.

To me his motives were fine. But if they dramatised sea polution, i would understand it even more. Showing how it ruins sea life etc.

#28 Posted by Tomkatie (3368 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, as a surface dweller, we do kinda suck

#29 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12716 posts) - - Show Bio

Understand? Sure.

Do what he did? Nah.

#30 Posted by APEX_pretador (20924 posts) - - Show Bio

@kairan1979: that makes the entire movie stupid and throws away any character development orm had.

#31 Posted by adamTRMM (9240 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course, if only they wouldn't have gone the Killmonger road with making him cold blooded, amoral MF, he could be one of the best villains. His reasons were on point, but since he was a scumbag, it felt more like an excuse rather than actual motivation.

#32 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (3211 posts) - - Show Bio

Atlanteans are superior to humans in every regard (except being able to breathe air). They deserve to replace the surface world

#33 Posted by Essem (336 posts) - - Show Bio

What if there was a sub human species that lives in the clouds and dumped their shit down on us. You think we wouldn't go to war with them if they wouldn't stop?