Can Thor destroy a city?

• 125 results
xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Can Thor destroy a city? (104 votes)

Yes, easily 49%
Maybe 15%
No, he's still too weak 36%

Thor's "city busting" feat from AOU was shot down by most viners as being "inaccurate". I personally believe that Thor could have caused the entire city to crack open with his strike (as said by Friday)

Tony: I could get Thor to hit it

Friday: It will crack. That's not enough. The impact would still be devastating.

However, Thor couldn't totally vaporize the city without the heat seal. What the heat seal was meant to do was "get the atomic action doubling back". Hence, all of this WAS Thor's power to begin with, but his power would basically be doubled to vaporize the city instead of just cracking/destroying it. Now, that being said, what do you think? Thor has amassed quite a few more feats since AOU, but is it enough?

• 
Eric_of_Apotos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stormbreaker seems to be a far superior weapon to Mjolnir. I would be surprised if he couldn't city bust with it.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MCU? He could planet bust, obviously.

Avatar image for gokuandsuperman
GokuAndSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No feats to back it up. Only town buster at best.

IceHeart_30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dumb question :|

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shoot... Just realized I posted this in battles and it's not letting me edit this. @jedixman: would you mind moving this to general discussion

AngelJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan said:

MCU? He could planet bust, obviously.

Stop lowballing, he could bust our universe if he wanted

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xzone: Fun fact, if you press "@", you can tag people with just searching their usernames.

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Mrnoital

nice way to shorten the quote, they were talking about getting Thor to hit the machine, and he'd be able to crack the machine thats making the city fly and holding it together

Eaglesong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Eaglesong

Supposed to.

Emanresu_20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lucano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone said, town level at best. He did not bust Sokovia... And what he did to Jotunheim, was, first, several hits and second, most of those shockwaves were not even city-block in size. Asgard was not even planet sized, probably somewhere along moon-sized and in his god-mode he wasn't able to even bust the city portion of Asgard to begin with... We have never seen him going all out in AOE mode with Storm-Breaker tho, which meant a huge power-up for him, but most likely he will be a large town buster with it, if he uses it for an AOE all-out attack in Avengers 4.

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucano: Um, Thor only hit Jotunheim once.

Lucano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xzone: Well, he certainly didn't bust it... o.O

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No he can't bust an actual city. There was heavy context in the sokovia incident that can't be replicated anywhere. Hell his biggest lightning bolt couldn't even damage a portion of asgard, just took out a balcony

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucano: He took a large portion of jotunheim out. That still might be his most impressive striking feat

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DammeFavour: That's a low ball and you know it. Thor was clearly aiming for Hela, not the palace. His lighting bolts have destroyed multiple building sized leviathan.

Lucano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xzone: I actually saw Thor not too long ago (due to wanting to remember some things before watching IW) and to be honest, it wasn't even THAT big of a portion of Jotunheim... I see some of his later feats as better, mostly because the Jotunheim feat was basically on an empty area, while his later feats actually busted buildings, yes, I know I said he did not bust Sokovia, but for sure busted the buildings close by. His feats in Ragnarok were also pretty neat, considering his hits were knocking back and down The Hulk.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xzone: no its not. You people constantly claim it's mountain sized, it covered a huge portion of the palace yet didn't damage anything but the balcony. And no he never 'destroyed' any leviathans, if they were destroyed, wouldn't they have fallen or something? Instead if going back into the portal. The same leviathan iron man destroyed with a missile

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucano: I respectfully disagree. That Ice was more than likely more durable than concrete or steel (cause it's been frozen hard for centuries) so the fact that he destroyed such a large area is incredibly impressive

Lucano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xzone: Well, I respect your opinion, I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. Tho I have to admit the ice point might actually be convincing.

Avatar image for deactivated-61a1b6940ec47
deactivated-61a1b6940ec47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony: The spire's vibranium. If I get Thor to hit it...

Friday: it'll crack, but that's not enough, the impact would still be devastating.

Thor didn’t crack vibranium, yet haters use this dialogue as proof that Thor couldn’t bust the city. Cause tony is always right, right?

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DammeFavour: Lost, again. Do you close your eyes when you watch these movies praying that Thor won't get a feat? And when he does you say.. meh. Thor's lightning strike on Hela was specifically targeting her. She took the full force of the hit. Why would it destroy anything besides the balcony if that's what he was aiming for? Why would the leviathan fall when they had barely gotten out of the portal and then were forced back. Stark couldn't destroy the leviathan with a missile are you kidding me? The only reason Stark could break apart the leviathan is because hulk broke the armor off. Thor had no such help when he killed/destroyed 3 of them with one strike.

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cromulor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cromulor

Infinity War served to only give Thor a durability feat and a new cool acting weapon. If Avengers 4 gives him some more definable strength and destructive capability, then maybe we can start looking at his tiers for stats, but we don’t have evidence for anything right now. Looking at his previous moments from Ragnarok and earlier, no. He did some impressive striking with Mjolnir for certain and his lightning makes powerful explosions but nothing the size of a city.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starbuster.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b728068f211c
deactivated-5b728068f211c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, he can hurt City level characters, but he can't destroy a city in one hit.

Gamer-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes

omriamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By omriamar

Gamer-Guy how? with god blast he doesn’t have or any feat to suggest that, other than a chain reaction in sokovia he started, common you called me a DCEU fan boy, you got to admit you are to if I can right, omri is both dc and marvel fan but definitely more of a Superman than both if you really want to know and even though I’ll wank him at times I’ll try to use reasonable explanation rather than excuses so try not to give lame excuses like most here and I’ll actually might change my mind

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

omriamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OT: in this point id say thor is a town level or even a bit above but a city?? not like where i leave obviously but a true city like NY, LA or DC, LOL. not even close

he dosent have anything close to say that other than the sokovia feat which at first i thought was legit until i saw the viners analyzing it and change my mind cuz they were right

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is Star level.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Alavanka

Thor's feat involves blowing up multiple chitauri ships, and then blowing up the head of the leviathan (blue explosion at the end of the gif). There is actually a second leviathan behind the first one that turned around when the first one got hit. It looks like a piece of shrapnel hits the 2nd leviathan in its body or tail, causing an explosion. Unknown if the 2nd leviathan died from that, but the first one is probably dead as there was a massive explosion at it's head. As Thor's job was to destroy anything coming out of the portal, the 2 leviathans never got past the portal.
Thor's feat involves blowing up multiple chitauri ships, and then blowing up the head of the leviathan (blue explosion at the end of the gif). There is actually a second leviathan behind the first one that turned around when the first one got hit. It looks like a piece of shrapnel hits the 2nd leviathan in its body or tail, causing an explosion. Unknown if the 2nd leviathan died from that, but the first one is probably dead as there was a massive explosion at it's head. As Thor's job was to destroy anything coming out of the portal, the 2 leviathans never got past the portal.
Ironman's feat is actually a continuation of Hulk's feat. Hulk punched the leviathan, causing it to flip. The force of the impact causes the leviathan's armour to fall off, and Tony shoots a missile at the exposed area. The leviathan explodes from that. A key point to keep in mind is that Tony on his own cannot penetrate the armour of the leviathan. So he needs to either shoot at exposed areas, or destroy the leviathan from the inside.
Ironman's feat is actually a continuation of Hulk's feat. Hulk punched the leviathan, causing it to flip. The force of the impact causes the leviathan's armour to fall off, and Tony shoots a missile at the exposed area. The leviathan explodes from that. A key point to keep in mind is that Tony on his own cannot penetrate the armour of the leviathan. So he needs to either shoot at exposed areas, or destroy the leviathan from the inside.
Loading Video...

Finally, the leviathan itself is large building scale, so none of this proves city-scale. Though in terms of distance and range, just reaching the leviathan from the tower where Thor was standing would require the lightning bolt to be city-block in length. Thor is roughly small town level going from his Jotunheim and fair analysis of his Sokovia feat. Jotunheim feat speaks for itself, as you can scale the destruction the actual city of Jotunheim in the background. For the Sokovia feat, it's fair to give the initial shockwave impact at ground level to Thor. The number of buildings he takes out with the initial shockwave roughly amounts to small town, in line with the Jotunheim feat. So Thor's striking is not city level (at least, not with Mjolnir in AoU). Surviving the explosion from it's epicenter is arguably grounds for giving him city-level durability though.

macleen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor's "city busting" feat from AOU was shot down by most viners as being "inaccurate". I personally believe that Thor could have caused the entire city to crack open with his strike (as said by Friday)

Tony: I could get Thor to hit it

Friday: It will crack. That's not enough. The impact would still be devastating.

However, Thor couldn't totally vaporize the city without the heat seal. What the heat seal was meant to do was "get the atomic action doubling back". Hence, all of this WAS Thor's power to begin with, but his power would basically be doubled to vaporize the city instead of just cracking/destroying it. Now, that being said, what do you think? Thor has amassed quite a few more feats since AOU, but is it enough

You left out the part where they were talking about the vibranium spire and not the whole landmass in general.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, do we really need another thread about a topic that has been argued to death, revived on several different occasions just to be put to death again?

Of all Live Action topics, this has been the most discussed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dbe38e11d7b7
deactivated-5dbe38e11d7b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for onlyoneempereor
OnlyOneEmpereor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It already happened on screen.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...Oh God, plz no 🤦‍♂️

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 takenstew22  Moderator

The Sokovia feat wasn't a whole city.

He can destroy a town at best.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What of the landmass? Or if he was bloodlusted like in Jotunheim? Small mountain?

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 takenstew22  Moderator

@reevjar said:
@takenstew22 said:

What of the landmass?

It made it bigger but it still might not be city level.

Or if he was bloodlusted like in Jotunheim? Small mountain?

You mean this?

It was a pretty good feat but once again idk if it was city level.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reevjar said:
@takenstew22 said:

What of the landmass?

It made it bigger but it still might not be city level.

Or if he was bloodlusted like in Jotunheim? Small mountain?

You mean this?

It was a pretty good feat but once again idk if it was city level.

Neither were city-level, but if Thor was bloodlusted in Sokovia and focused the lightning like that. To be more specific,

Revive Bolt.

No Caption Provided

Jotunheim bolt.

No Caption Provided

Ragnarok bolt.

No Caption Provided

And this goodie here, that's even bigger.

No Caption Provided

All focused into Stormbreaker.

And Thor flies toward the ground, either by low altitude Bifrost drop velocity or just supersonic flight.

OR

If it the bolts were focused into Mjolnir, and it did this -

No Caption Provided

And he told it to fly to the ground.

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He did Sokovia before Stormbreaker and lightning amp. If he was a "maybe" before he's definitely a citybuster now

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He did Sokovia before Stormbreaker and lightning amp. If he was a "maybe" before he's definitely a citybuster now

except he wasn't "maybe" before, the context of the scene made it very clear that it was Ironman messing with the machine that actually busted the city, all Thor did was crack the machine that was holding the landmass together

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: Iron Man created a heal seal so that Thor's energy doubled back and stayed within the landmass. Thor still provided the energy

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mrnoital

@kryptonianking88: no, he created a heat seal so the energy the machine was creating was doubling back, the kind of energy that can make a large chunk of land fly up or explode

this is very visible that the energy was building up way before thor hit it

No Caption Provided

the movie made it very clear that Ironman did all the work, and Thor just released the energy Ironman built up

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe with Stormbreaker, but Endgame didn't do a really good job at convincing me