Bruce Lee in Ip Man 3??

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, Bruce Lee is to appear in Ip Man 3.......in the form of CGI! Apparently they couldn't get any actor to do him justice, so decided to go the way of cgi. Not the first time it's been done, Lee was in a Johny Walker add. Can they pull it off? Should they do it? Sounds interesting. Also, Mike Tyson has been cast in the film? One could assume as a villain? Thoughts?

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/03/26/martial-arts-legend-bruce-lee-set-for-a-cgi-comeback-in-ip-man-3-2810418?lt_source=external,manual

Not to mention the dream fight with Donnie Yen

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some things are better left untouched.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking similar, but, if the quality of the cgi Lee is the same as the JW ad and it's only a small role, one can only hope for something good....or at least decent.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheVivas  Online

I thought there already was an Ip Man 3...

Shows how much I know. Lol

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legacy6364 said:

I was thinking similar, but, if the quality of the cgi Lee is the same as the JW ad and it's only a small role, one can only hope for something good....or at least decent.

Fair enough. I'd love to be proven wrong.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@legacy6364 said:

I don't know how they would've left it untouched. He's the only reason these Ip Man movies exist. No one would care about the story of Yip Man if he didn't go on to train Bruce Lee, so you've got to get to that part in his life at some point.

I'm just annoyed by the Mike Tyson plot. We had a boxing narrative in the last movie. Ugh.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator
@jaken7 said:

@lordraiden said:

@legacy6364 said:

I don't know how they would've left it untouched. He's the only reason these Ip Man movies exist. No one would care about the story of Yip Man if he didn't go on to train Bruce Lee, so you've got to get to that part in his life at some point.

I'm just annoyed by the Mike Tyson plot. We had a boxing narrative in the last movie. Ugh.

I agree they should do Lee, but they shouldn't use CGI, the technology just isn't there yet, it could ruin the whole film.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@lordraiden said:

@legacy6364 said:

I agree they should do Lee, but they shouldn't use CGI, the technology just isn't there yet, it could ruin the whole film.

...did you see the Johnnie Walker commercial?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rogueshadow  Moderator

@jaken7: You thought that looked good?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rogueshadow  Moderator
JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@rogueshadow said:

@jaken7: You thought that looked good?

Yupp.

No Caption Provided

The only parts I had a problem with was when he was talking a lot to the camera, and that zoom-in face shot at the end. But, for a damn Scotch commercial, I was beyond impressed. Imagine what they could do with a feature film budget and talent.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rogueshadow  Moderator

@jaken7: They'll never be able to get it right though, it'll just pull me (personally) out of the film. I'd rather they just got somebody who looks like him, like they did with Dennis To for the young Ip. Also, I just checked and it only has a budget of $36 million.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JakeN7

@rogueshadow said:

@jaken7: They'll never be able to get it right though, it'll just pull me (personally) out of the film. I'd rather they just got somebody who looks like him, like they did with Dennis To for the young Ip. Also, I just checked and it only has a budget of $36 million.

"Only"

This isn't Hollywood (Chinese labor is cheap, yo). Even if it was, that's still a moderate budget.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem its that Donnie Yen said this its his last action movie(Of course Jackie Chan has being saying this since the 90s).

So i think they want to make it a huge thing.

I think the problem its Bruce Lee family, they are famous for lying about Bruce and want to keep an weird image of who he was.

So they could try ti hijack this movie and change it as much as they can.

Also CGI its so overrated isnt even funny anymore.

@jaken7 said:

@rogueshadow said:

"Only"

This isn't Hollywood (Chinese labor is cheap, yo). Even if it was, that's still a moderate budget.

Not true, several Hollywood star are making Hong Kong films, even Hugh Jackman did one and Christian Bale, but he is Bale.

Hollywood waste tons of money.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JakeN7

@deathpoolthet1000: What?

A Western actor starring in a Chinese production has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Ip Man is not a Hollywood film. It's a Chinese one.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@deathpoolthet1000: What?

A Western actor starring in a Chinese production has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Ip Man is not a Hollywood film. It's a Chinese one.

It shows how much money they have.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rogueshadow  Moderator

@jaken7: Just noticed my comment didn't come through. I regularly see high budget films with glancing shots of CGI characters that don't look convincing, and would ruin it if we were to have extended close up shots with said CGI. If it's good for you, that's great, but it will definitely pull me out of the film, it's not at the level that is even close to where I could watch it and not be distracted.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I did not know that.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Actors wins millions and millions of bucks, huge part of the budget goes into paying them.

Hong Kong has enough to pay them.

So they do have money, not Hollywood money, but several of their productions show how much money they put in their massive movies.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rogueshadow  Moderator

@jaken7: The technology just isn't there, if much higher budget films can't do it, I don't see why this one could.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JakeN7

@deathpoolthet1000: It's like you're replying to a completely different topic.

My point was, I thought a pretty clear one, that Chinese productions involve very cheap labor. Therefore, they're able to do the things Hollywood can do for less money. This was in response to RogueShadow being worried that the budget was "only" 36 Mill (something that is still moderate by even Hollywood standards).

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: Which films are you specifically referring to?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rogueshadow  Moderator

@jaken7 said:

@rogueshadow: Which films are you specifically referring to?

Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel, but I know there are more I just can't recall right now.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: Those are the films that lead you to believe the technology isn't there? Not only do I not recall any fully CG humans in those films, but I also don't recall having a problem with any of the CG that was involved anyways.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@jaken7 said:

@rogueshadow: Those are the films that lead you to believe the technology isn't there? Not only do I not recall any fully CG humans in those films, but I also don't recall having a problem with any of the CG that was involved anyways.

Pause some scenes in mid flight in MoS and you'll see it, Tony was digitally recreated in an early scene in his Malibu home. If they can't get faces right on a sweeping shot right, how's a close up dialogue scene going to play?

Again, this is just for me. It'll pull me out of the film, it won't look convincing enough, I've never seen a truly convincing CGI face, never mind in close up shots. I'm clearly just more pernickety than you about it, but if it isn't 100% legit, it won't look right for me, I know it won't, I'd much rather a real face.

I don't know why you're trying to convince me otherwise, I'm more knowledgeable about myself than you are.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rogueshadow  Moderator
JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: Why don't you ask that mole on our left butt cheek? ;D

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know a whole lot about the plot/movie yet, but, I don't believe it's going to be a huge role, and again, if done right, I think could be pulled off. Now, whether or not they do (pull it off) is another story.

I have to agree with @jaken7 for the most part. If you have to pause a scene mid fight at home on your player to try and notice differences and what is cgi, then they (the movie makers) aren't doing such a bad job! If your looking for utter perfection, your in the wrong life time, imo! Come back in fity to a hundred or so years ;-)