BREAKING: Spider-Man officially out of the MCU as negotiations between Disney and Sony fallout

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

@gxrevs06 said:
@marvelanddcfan24 said:

The MCU Spiderman movies are overrated and are honestly to kiddy they just have a really good Spiderman lead

Agreed. I don't know why the studio and fans insist on this 'Spider-Boy' thing. Peter hasn't been a teenager in the comics for decades. He's been a grow adult for most of his superhero career

Didn't he get his powers anyway like right when he was graduating high school? So yeah, the child Spider-Man thing...like never was a thing.

Seriously. Personally, I am tired of teenage Spider-Man. We get him in movies; we get him in tv shows; we get him in video games. All this attention directed at a portion of his life that lasted what? 3 years in the main continuity? The other 55 years he's either been in college or an adult! I don't understand why directors keep focusing on this mundane portion of his life.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@wolfrazer said:
@gxrevs06 said:
@marvelanddcfan24 said:

The MCU Spiderman movies are overrated and are honestly to kiddy they just have a really good Spiderman lead

Agreed. I don't know why the studio and fans insist on this 'Spider-Boy' thing. Peter hasn't been a teenager in the comics for decades. He's been a grow adult for most of his superhero career

Didn't he get his powers anyway like right when he was graduating high school? So yeah, the child Spider-Man thing...like never was a thing.

Seriously. Personally, I am tired of teenage Spider-Man. We get him in movies; we get him in tv shows; we get him in video games. All this attention directed at a portion of his life that lasted what? 3 years in the main continuity? The other 55 years he's either been in college or an adult! I don't understand why directors keep focusing on this mundane portion of his life.

Tweens.

Avatar image for chuggachugga170
chuggachugga170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its just a rumour, the deal is still going on

TheDeathstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Welp, I'm not complaining. Never was a fan of Iron Man Jr anyway.

ThorofAsgard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MCU Spidey, I mean Iron Man Jr, sucked anyways. Good riddance

Avatar image for floydfromhell97
floydfromhell97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Official news, the deal is broken

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107 krisbishop  Moderator

I don't think breaking of the deal has been legitimately confirmed anywhere, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least Spidey can now be the hero we all know and love, with the character traits that make him the best hero in the world, instead of trying to fill Iron Man's boots.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Sony.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

That sucks ass. F%$k Sony and f%$k Disney if this is true.

Spiderman isn't my favourite character, but this is still stupid.

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gracetrack: like what? Him actually being a kid? Actually being smart? Him looking his age? Hell even the fact they dont replay the same stupid uncle ben death

Ryokuma100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good. MCU Spider-Man was too childish and never felt like he could make his own decisions. It’s either Stark, Fury, or someone else making him seem dumb or less independent.

Disney wasn’t going to give Spider-Man the story it needs.

The original trilogy & TASM captures who he is better, so this deal a win in my books if it goes through.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gracetrack: like what? Him actually being a kid? Actually being smart? Him looking his age? Hell even the fact they dont replay the same stupid uncle ben death

No Caption Provided

ThorofAsgard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reaperthegrim: shame on you for liking the trash MCU Spider-Man is lol

Tony501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Tony501

Yap it’s about time, SFFH was 1 movie too many and SHC wasn’t that great either, I’ll rather have another reboot than another by the number MCU Spider-Man Movie if I have to be honest.

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

While I thought Homecoming was decent (still haven't watched Far From Home), can't say I loved their version of Spider-Man. Not bad but I would have liked to see something different for a change. That said, I don't know if Sony can properly handle the character either.

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony = generic comic book movies.

I'm looking forward for his appearance in Avengers/Doctor Strange or something. Spidey 3 lvl Venom bad like, I'm gonna skip it probably.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By RBT
OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm torn in that while I loathe what Disney did with Spider-Man, Sony sucks even more and absolutely deserves to go bankrupt and close down for all the shady business c**p they've been doing over the years. I'm inclined to generally hope for Disney to fully grab the rights from Sony's slimy fingers, causing Sony to lose one of their biggest cash-cow franchises and die and then for Disney itself to go bankrupt and release all the Marvel characters into the public domain.

Bayman007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm indifferent about this. Spidey will be back, no worries

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 rogueshadow  Moderator

I don't really think that this is going to stick to be honest. I think Disney made a ridiculous offer to begin haggling (possibly as a flex) and Sony have rejected it outright and gone public as a means to assert some authority, to let Disney know they don't need them and won't bow down.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really think that this is going to stick to be honest. I think Disney made a ridiculous offer to begin haggling (possibly as a flex) and Sony have rejected it outright and gone public as a means to assert some authority, to let Disney know they don't need them and won't bow down.

This. It’s just a “who’s got the bigger stick” contest.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

This is one of those situations where I'm not really happy/satisfied, but I am not disappointed/sad either. And I can not even say I don't care because I do, I'm just not sure in what way. I hated MCU Spider-man. He hyped me up in Civil War but was truly mediocre in all honesty. He was Iron Boy in both Avengers movies with annoying dialogue, and Homecoming was outright insult to the character.

The reason why I am not celebrating is because Sony can't make good Spider-man movies either. They ruined Spider-man 3, ASM1 was nothing but false advertisement and competition with your own movies, and I am not even gonna talk about ASM2 because I'll get triggered. In other words, when it comes to Spider-man movies, you either get Sony or Disney. Neither come close to understanding Peter's character and lore.

In he end, I expect no quality content from Spider-man movies anymore.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do MCU movies where Spider-man just participated (Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame) count as Spider-man movies?

Can MCU refers to them in their future films assuming this story is true?

ElioFoudroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By ElioFoudroy

To me, MCU's Spiderman looked more like a bad family friendly version of Kick-Ass than a real Spiderman. So I'm kinda happy I won't have to see this ever again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da4168075532
deactivated-5da4168075532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: I bet Zack Snyder would make a sick Spider-Man movie.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Extremely relevant-

Loading Video...

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: IO9 got a Sony representative on the phone and the representative said they are still in negotiations. It seems like the companies are in a game of chicken to see who blinks first.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: IO9 got a Sony representative on the phone and the representative said they are still in negotiations. It seems like the companies are in a game of chicken to see who blinks first.

Yeah. The video I posted said the same thing more or less. And honestly, I'm now with Sony on this one. Disney got too greedy.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By thatduderox

@rbt: Same here. I hope Spidey stays, but Disney came with a ridiculous number. Sony can't afford a deal like that and Disney knew it. They're trying to strong arm them into a better deal, and I feel like this was a tactic to get the public on their side. And unfortunately for Sony, it kind of worked. People on every social media site is pissed, and Sony is being painted as the villain in this scenario by the public. All people are reading is that Sony pulled Spider-Man and are going after them. They are not taking the time to read why it happened. It's like a mob on twitter right now.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By BullPR

From what I read, I agree that Disney is more to blame.

I would like to see/read a structured argument from someone that thinks it is not the case. I don't see any. Just name calling

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, feck Disney, greedy bastards.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mimisalome: i don't see why not. There was an agreement at the time so all the way to FFH would be canon, even if the deal falls through.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobymaguire: she's not that bad. Seriously check the video out. It is a good analysis although by the time you read this, things may have changed.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkonast: Spider-Man is not a kid. He hasnt been a kid for 54 years. This stupid old "hu durr MCU Spider-Man is the most accurate because hes a teenager durr" argument is really getting annoying. The vast majority of great Spider-Man stories that we associate with the character occurred when he was in college or when he was already a full grown adult.

And not every teenager looks like their balls haven't dropped. Tobey looked his age (17?) in Spider-Man 1.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I didn't know so many people on the vine hated mcu spiderman like jeez lol

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Gracetrack

@heatforce said:
@darkonast said:

Hi there, Heatforce. Thanks for the reply. In response to your questions:

Peter being a kid, and smart, and looking his age are not things with which I have a problem, no. Those are more secondary aspects to Peter's character as opposed to primary. Those aspects could change (to varying degrees) and he would still be Spider-Man. In other words, those things aren't what make Spider-Man -- Spider-Man.

Whether you like it or not, the lesson of "with great power comes great responsibility" is a core value... the core value... of the character, therefore it should pervade and inform everything he does. Having watched both of the solo MCU Spidey movies, I had virtually no sense whatsoever that this was a priority for Disney. Instead, we were given a kid who was continually trying to impress and live up to his mentor Iron Man. There's nothing wrong with trying to honor one's mentors, but... 1) MCU Tony Stark was mostly not a good role model to begin with, and 2) that's what Uncle Ben is supposed to be there for. Lol. Literally, you can't have that lesson permeate Peter's life without Uncle Ben. And no, that doesn't mean they need to continually replay Ben's death on screen. That would be silly, and nobody is saying they want that.

Beyond that, and I say this with all the emphasis I can muster over the Internet...

Spider-Man is not Iron Man. He never has been and never will be.

Lol. In spite of this, after watching Far From Home, it is painfully obvious that the powers-that-be over at Disney have taken it upon themselves to try and turn the character into some kind of glorified Iron Man 2.0. This is not only a slap in the face to a lot (and I mean a lot) of Spider-Man fans, but I have to believe Stan Lee himself would be rolling over in his grave.

Peter Parker doesn't need to be Iron Man. Perhaps more importantly, Peter Parker doesn't want to be Iron Man.

Heh, anyway... that's about it. Thanks again for the reply.

Grace and peace.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Heatforce

@gracetrack said:
@heatforce said:
@darkonast said:

Hi there, Heatforce. Thanks for the reply. In response to your questions:

Peter being a kid, and smart, and looking his age are not things with which I have a problem, no. Those are more secondary aspects to Peter's character as opposed to primary. Those aspects could change (to varying degrees) and he would still be Spider-Man. In other words, those things aren't what make Spider-Man -- Spider-Man.

Whether you like it or not, the lesson of "with great power comes great responsibility" is a core value... the core value... of the character, therefore it should pervade and inform everything he does. Having watched both of the solo MCU Spidey movies, I had virtually no sense whatsoever that this was a priority for Disney. Instead, we were given a kid who was continually trying to impress and live up to his mentor Iron Man. There's nothing wrong with trying to honor one's mentors, but... 1) MCU Tony Stark was mostly not a good role model to begin with, and 2) that's what Uncle Ben is supposed to be there for. Lol. Literally, you can't have that lesson permeate Peter's life without Uncle Ben. And no, that doesn't mean they need to continually replay Ben's death on screen. That would be silly, and nobody is saying they want that.

Beyond that, and I say this with all the emphasis I can muster over the Internet...

Spider-Man is not Iron Man. He never has been and never will be.

Lol. In spite of this, after watching Far From Home, it is painfully obvious that the powers-that-be over at Disney have taken it upon themselves to try and turn the character into some kind of glorified Iron Man 2.0. This is not only a slap in the face to a lot (and I mean a lot) of Spider-Man fans, but I have to believe Stan Lee himself would be rolling over in his grave.

Peter Parker doesn't need to be Iron Man. Perhaps more importantly, Peter Parker doesn't want to be Iron Man.

Heh, anyway... that's about it. Thanks again for the reply.

Grace and peace.

No my dude, my meme reaponse was to @darkonast

While I understand the complaint of not wanting to see Uncle Ben's death again, the bolded statement caught me offguard. "The stupid Uncle Ben death" is at it's core the very foundation of Spider-Man; just like when the Waynes died protecting Bruce.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f72547f00ffd
deactivated-5f72547f00ffd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

DaSalvadore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:
@thatduderox said:

Yeah. The video I posted said the same thing more or less. And honestly, I'm now with Sony on this one. Disney got too greedy.

I'm going to copy a comment I made in another thread to this.

1 - The money in the bank and/or the money a company earns from business outside of a deal shouldn't be the deciding factor in the deal itself. If the Spider-Man films were the only thing keeping Sony afloat then that's another kettle of fish.

2 - It sounds like the attitude of Marvel was "look how successful our Spider-Man movies are. You keep screwing up so we want more of the money from the box office considering the fact we're doing the heavy lifting and it's our expansive franchise that helping the SM movies be successful."

Marvel wanted more than 5% of the box office money and Sony walked without negotiating. I can't blame Marvel. A Spider-Man movie involved in the MCU means the cost of production comes out of Marvel's pockets (or some of it at any rate) and it most likely cuts into other actors' appearances from their contracts. Regardless of how much money a company has in the bank, using up their own resources and only getting 5% of the first dollar gross without a 50/50 split on production costs is a crap deal.

And yes, I'm aware that Marvel makes money from the merchandise sales plus other things. That doesn't change the fact that the original deal for the final product is crap for Marvel considering how successful and loved their version of Spider-Man is compared to Sony's.

If Disney/Marvel were looking to split production costs on not just Spider-Man but all the other Spider films for a bigger cut of the box office money then that's a solid deal. Sony just think they can ride the MCU hype and go their own way.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tenguswordsman: it was produced by Sony, not Disney. You realize that I hope.

Essem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what i gathered Marvel wanted to co-finance and have 50% of the box office with Feige as producer of ALL Spider-man related movies. This includes Venom, Carnage, Sinister Six and whatever else. Which Sony turned down. However Sony came back to Marvel with a counter offer of a 70-30 split of just Spider-man not the whole verse, up from 95-5 which is the current deal.
Which by the sounds of it Marvel aint happy with.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

@rbt: Indeed. Uncle Ben would explode when Bulgar shoots him with a bullet, Peter's webs would create shockwaves every time he fires them, his Black Suit would be his regular suit, and his villains would move dust around by destroying buildings for no reason.

Sounds sick.

Jay_F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol for the first time ever a Spiderman movie made 1 Billion (took 3 adaptations to do so) and now we will be back to Spiderman movies that most people won't even care to watch.

Au_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys see that Heavy Spoilers video? It seems suspicious that no one else can confirm this