Today I'd like to share with you the legend behind the character of Isshiki Otsutsuki, from "Boruto: Naruto Next Generation".
The Otsutsuki Clan - Folklore and Manga
Maybe you don't know that but Kishimoto took into consideration real Japanese Legends for the main branch of the Otsutsuki Clan. . . and some of their related powers.
- Momoshiki Otsutsuki & Momotaro ---> is a popular hero of japanese folklore and his three companion beasts (pheasant, monkey, dog).
We can find the connection between Momoshiki and Momotaro in his three beasts:
- Inukai Takeru no Mikoto - (Dog)
- Saruiwa - (Monkey)
- Kijigari - (Pheasant)
- Kinshiki Otsutsuki & Kintaro ---> another hero from japanese folklore. Phenomenally strong and wielder of the axe called Masakari.
- Urashiki Otsutsuki & Urashima Taro ---> the protagonist of the fairy tale called "Otogi Banashi", a fisherman rewarded for rescuing a turtle, and carried on its back to the Dragon Palace (Ryugu-jo) beneath the sea. When he returns to his home village, he discovers he has been gone for at least 100 years.
The connection with Urashiki's Dragon Palace/Time Freeze and Karasuki is very clear.
- Kaguya Otsutsuki & Princess Kaguya ---> the main character from "Taketori Monogatari", which is said to be one of the oldest Japanese legends in written record. According to the legend, Princess Kaguya wears a hagoromo ("feather mantle") when she returns home to her kingdom. The name Ōtsutsuki (大筒木) roughly means "big bamboo tree" and is derived from an obscure passage in the second volume of the Kojiki about the genealogies of Emperor Suinin, eleventh emperor of Japan, which states that he had a consort named Kaguyahime no Mikoto, the daughter of a king named Ōtsutsukitarine no Miko; tradition holds that these individuals served as the basis for Princess Kaguya and the old bamboo cutter in the aforementioned tale.
Her horn-like appendages symbolise rabbit ears, representing her connection to the moon by evoking the moon-rabbit; pop culture depictions of Princess Kaguya and the moon-folk often incorporate features like rabbit ears for this reason. This also fits with her being known as the "Usagi no Megami".
Isshiki Otsutsuki & The Legend of Issun Boshi
- What is "Issun Boshi" and how it's related to Isshiki ---> it's the JP folklore references to Isshiki, Issun-Boshi (“One-Inch-Boy”) & Uchide No Kozuchi (“Magic Wish-Granting Mallet”).
A folklore where are present these themes that you surely recognise.
So far the manga shown some of the stuff present in the folklore of Issun Boshi, such as ---> changing size, being stuck inside a body, conjuring food/wealth...
Furthermore the real power of Isshiki' shrink ability might have been hinted by Kashin Koji in the last chapter:
Not just that. . . the manga also shown us therice bowl from Issun Boshi's tale, as a Fuinjutsu used to seal Naruto for good.
The Miracle Mallet & The True Power of Isshiki
- We know that Issun Boshi can shrink himself but. . . how can he do that? Thanks to:
"Miracle Mallet" aka "Uchide no Kozuchi" ---> It is a legendary artefact, a small hammer with the power to change an object's size.
However. . . this isn't the only power Uchide no Kozuchi grants to hiw wielder. It's also known to be able to realize anything wished for. This explains the name "Miracle Mallet" or "The Wish Granting Mallet".
It was also hinted by Jigen, as Kara's true and final purpose.
Uchide no Kozuki symbol is also present on Isshiki's body and outfit :
That said, the Miracle Mallet grants several unique abilities, such as:
1- size manipulation
2- mind manipulation
3- reality warping
5- gravity manipulation
6- water manipulation
8- life manipulation
Do you remember when Naruto wasn't able to sense Jigen's presence? Someone thought it was due to him being shrinked to a micro-size, like atom or molecule. . . others said Naruto was nerfed.
Actually this was due to one of Uchide no Kozuki's effects --->
Dharmachakra - The New Isshiki's Dojutsu
---> The last chapter of Boruto has introduced a new Dojutsu, that resembles The Eight-Spoked Dharma Wheel or Dharmachakra.
The Dharmachakra ---> comes from the Dharma, which is the path to attaining enlightenment and reaching Nirvana (the highest state of being a person can achieve). It also means "the Wheel of Law":
- If you wanna know more about it I leave right here this link ---> http://www.aisf.or.jp/~jaanus/deta/n/nyoirinkannon.htm
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________That said and taking into consideration the folklore behind the char. . . we know just the 10% of Isshiki's true power.
special thanks to:
- OrganicDinosaur (Twitter)
- AnimeFreak1 (Twitter)
- Issun_Ōtsutsuki (Twitter)
For the informations!