This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by etriel (513 posts) - - Show Bio

there should be an option to disallow people you block from commenting on the threads you make.

anyone agrees?

#2 Edited by Tetsukage (2012 posts) - - Show Bio

No, hard pass.

I'm new here and that sounds like an awful idea, people will get upset and end up blocking anyone who disagrees with them.

#3 Edited by etriel (513 posts) - - Show Bio

@tetsukage:

people who make threads are not allowed to involve themselves in the debates. so that is already a faulty reasoning. you could just make your own thread.

however there are delusional debaters on this forum with erroneous lies that everyone hates that one user for a good reason.

#4 Posted by zgtfreak (1455 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to agree with Etriel, however I think it should work in the sense of ban users by entering their names in the first post (can be repeated in every thread with a simple copy and paste of names). I think it should only be done on the first post or before user(s) comment, as to prevent merely banning someone mid-debate. You should only be able to ban people in the first post of the threads creation, not at any time after, otherwise the OP will start banning people mid-argument if they don't like said user's argument.

#5 Posted by Cloudguy (2216 posts) - - Show Bio

@zgtfreak: @tetsukage: @etriel: I understand the idea of wanting to block people from commenting on threads, but the feature already exists. The block button. You can't see their threads or comments. Solves your problem.

#7 Edited by etriel (513 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy:if only that was true.

blocking people on this forum only blocks all notifications from them. you still see their comments and threads.

if i block someone. they shouldnt be able to post on my blog or even be able to comment anything on a thread i make at the very least.

@zgtfreak: you know the guy who shall not be named that everyone on multiverse threads regardless of opinion hates? yeah that guy. @soratoumiga and i are etching on this proposal and several others. this non sense has to end.

i dont want to log in this forum with monitor wanking lies and non sense spewing all monitor threads all the time about how mandrakk can influence real life authors and own all fiction and non sense like that especially if it is coming from only one user and his multiple alt accounts. its getting ridiculous.

#8 Edited by IPvMan (394 posts) - - Show Bio

You're obviously a liberal.

#9 Posted by Cloudguy (2216 posts) - - Show Bio

@ipvman: Let's keep politics out of this.

@etriel I'll speak to someone about getting that sorted out. I doubt anything would change for a little while and if anything did, it would only be so that you didn't see the comments or threads. Outright blocking users from participating in threads is a bit extreme.

#10 Posted by Cloudguy (2216 posts) - - Show Bio

@etriel: Do you have a rough number of how many people would actually want this feature?

#12 Edited by zgtfreak (1455 posts) - - Show Bio

@ipvman said:

You're obviously a liberal.

I'm as conservative as you can possibly get and I know what you're trying to get at (not working FYI). Censoring wankers on a thread about meaningless fictional characters does not even remotely equate to actual corrupt liberal censorship.

Anyway, enough of this; you're about to get this thread locked.

@cloudguy There is no point in hiding someone's comments on your thread if only you personally cannot see them and others can. We want them gone from our threads period.

@etriel Monitor wankers don't bother my threads (except one time), but I've seen them and get why you want them gone. I personally want Dragon Ball wankers gone out of my threads (I actually want the DB ban completely reinforced). You've got these trash DB wankers coming into multiversal threads unrelated to DB talking about how their characters solo (even though they don't). I have to deal with Tori-bot wankers as well, who are just as bad as Monitor wankers in terms of they both transcend fiction and solo it.

#13 Posted by IPvMan (394 posts) - - Show Bio

@zgtfreak:

I'm as conservative as you can possibly get and I know what you're trying to get at (not working FYI). Censoring wankers on a thread about meaningless fictional characters does not even remotely equate to actual corrupt liberal censorship.

It's the same concept though. Silence those whose arguments you can't counter. It's a well known liberal tactic.

OT I don't agree with this obviously. How about instead of blocking people you get better and actually counter their arguments? It's a lot more satisfying that way, you'll end up arguing with yourself before long.

#14 Posted by Cloudguy (2216 posts) - - Show Bio

@ipvman: @zgtfreak: No more politics mentioned in the bug reporting thread, keep it to the politics thread or i'll call in a mod.

Also, can we cut the word wankers out of our posts please it's not needed.

I understand that you'd want them out of your threads but CV is always going to have trolls or people who you disagree with. Stopping them from commenting on your posts might stop a good thread from starting sometimes. If you have an issues with specific users take it up with them personally or contact an appropriate forum mod (Battle forums have plenty).

But at the end of the day, we're not gonna completely remove content from people because you don't like them. I'll contact a mod in the morning about talking to the staff about muting users that are blocked. If you don't want to allow what you would consider a troll ( I don't use battle forums, i'm a wiki guy) see your threads, you'd have to accept that you wouldn't be able to see people who've blocked you either.

(Personal opinion)

If you see trolling, flag them, call or mod or just don't reply. Just don't fuel the trolls it doesn't help your case because you'll become one to the other peson. If a thread dies because of it, it happens. Move on to your next post. Nothing lost, nothing gained. It's just a thread about fictional characters at the end of the day.

(End of personal opinion)

#15 Posted by Cloudguy (2216 posts) - - Show Bio

@renchamp Can I get your opinion on this matter?

#16 Edited by zgtfreak (1455 posts) - - Show Bio

@ipvman: How about instead of blocking people you get better and actually counter their arguments? It's a lot more satisfying that way, you'll end up arguing with yourself before long.

Me and Etriel counter and destroy bias arguments, but that does not stop bias people. Our little circle single-handedly dominates the multiversal side of Comicvine and refute ridiculous VSBW and SB logic on a daily, but that does not stop people from ignorantly ignoring facts because it opposes their favorite character or verse. If you disagree, then that's fine, but me and Etriel (and I don't even like Etriel) can both handle ourselves just fine in debates.

@cloudguy Also, can we cut the word wankers out of our posts please it's not needed.

Sorry, but when people start saying fictional characters exist IRL and transcend fiction, there is no other word to describe them better than a wanker. These people are actually serious too (aka not trolling), which makes it even worse. We will always call out a wanker in the battle boards, however here I'll respect your request and stop, since this is indeed not the place, so my bad.

Anyway, Etriel and me were just throwing out an opinion; whether it works out or not, thanks for taking the time to look into it regardless.

It's just a thread about fictional characters at the end of the day.

I know this. I don't take it seriously, but nonetheless it is still annoying.

#17 Posted by Cloudguy (2216 posts) - - Show Bio

@zgtfreak: They are definitely better words to use, might not have the same effect, but it's a lot less rude.

I've called in a mod to see what they think on the matter and hopefully they'll give you a rough idea on whether or not anything will happen. I've also contacted a staff member and should (hopefully) get a response in the next few days.

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#18 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (4425 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just words about a fictional character on a website, plus mods can already do plenty.

The idea of being blocked individually on threads sounds like a barrel of salt just waiting to happen. Don't like them, don't pay attention to them. Simple common sense.

#19 Posted by zgtfreak (1455 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy: Well I appreciate the time you've taken for Etriel's request, despite you not fully agreeing with it. Thanks.

#20 Posted by Heatforce (5918 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#21 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy said:

Can I get your opinion on this matter?

You probably want to ask a more competent mod for their opinion. Renchamp is a power abusing mod.

#22 Posted by Cloudguy (2216 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhood_jaytodd: Let's cut the insults out man. No need for it. Regardless of whether or not you like them, he's a mod for a reason.

#23 Edited by phillip33 (3933 posts) - - Show Bio

This is rediculous. If you don’t like one users opinion after trying to convince them otherwise, just ignore them. Quit being a damn snowflake.

#24 Edited by RedHood_JayTodd (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy said:

@redhood_jaytodd: Let's cut the insults out man. No need for it. Regardless of whether or not you like them, he's a mod for a reason.

So just because he's a mod on a comic website, his opinion is somehow always valid and reliable and that we're not supposed to challenge that. Smh what dumb logic. Being a mod doesn't make him special.

If I don't like what he's doing, I ain't afraid to say it. I don't give a damn that he's a mod.

#25 Edited by zgtfreak (1455 posts) - - Show Bio

@phillip33: We do ignore them, but it's nice to have them not coming to our own thread that we made. Why don't you actually form a real argument instead of spouting insults out of nowhere? Or are you incapable of that?

*Ridiculous : )

#26 Posted by Cloudguy (2216 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhood_jaytodd: I don't disagree with you, if you don't like someone, that's fine. You just don't need to go around insulting them because you disagree with one another. Their's such a thing called respect. Ren can be wrong at times, so can anyone, doesn't mean you get to insult them, I doubt he does it back.

I'm not defending him, I'm just calling you out for your unwarrented behaviour.

#27 Edited by phillip33 (3933 posts) - - Show Bio

@zgtfreak: it’s not your own thread though. These are public, open forums that anyone can post on as long as they aren’t using over derogatory language... once you start being able to ban whoever the hell you want just because they have a different opinion than yours, it ruins th whole public and open forum thing and degenerates threads into a place where there’s no argument because everyone who has the opposite opinion is banned from even voicing it on your privately public wankfest. It also shows the insecurity you have in your own argument... but hey, surely you aren’t incapable of understanding that right?

There are mods for a reason, let them do their jobs.

Start a private message if you really want something all to your self

#28 Posted by InvadedTBD (1371 posts) - - Show Bio

Unnecessary, just debunk or ignore them no need to ban people from coming in your thread.

I understand what you are going for tho cuz some viners are just that frustrating and annoying.

#29 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy said:

@redhood_jaytodd: I don't disagree with you, if you don't like someone, that's fine. You just don't need to go around insulting them because you disagree with one another. Their's such a thing called respect. Ren can be wrong at times, so can anyone, doesn't mean you get to insult them, I doubt he does it back.

I'm not defending him, I'm just calling you out for your unwarrented behaviour.

So you want me to respect a mod who abuses his position? Respect has to be earned, not given man. His position doesn't warrant special treatment. This goes beyond simply disagreeing on issues. There's people who don't share my views on politics, religion, movies, etc. doesn't mean that I have to call them out because thatis unwarranted. And I've never called anyone out on everyday issues like those. That would be unwarranted and unacceptable. What this particular mod is doing is abusing his power as a mod at times, and I find that to be unfair.

By the way, he has called out people for simply disagreeing with his actions.

#30 Posted by zgtfreak (1455 posts) - - Show Bio

@phillip33: It's still a thread that I created. I already voiced my opinion on how it works, in order to prevent banning someone mid-argument.

It also shows the insecurity you have in your own argument...

That's the thing... you CAN'T heavily argue against wank in your own thread because it is against the rules to do so, meaning there is no "argument" from me to be had.

#31 Posted by Cloudguy (2216 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhood_jaytodd: And once again, I don't disagree with you, call people out if you want. Just leave out the insults. I don't have a problem with Ren myself, you do, but I would defend anyone who hasn't even had a chance to say anything. You don't have to respect him, just be polite and mature.

Yes, respect is earned, but you're doing exactly what you're stating, calling someone out for everyday issues. This is a forum, he's a mod. Whether or not he abuses his power is down to what you believe, but he was given that role for a reason. You have to respect that, even if you don't like him.

I'm not on the forums all that much as I'm a wiki user, so I haven't exactly seen what he's done, but just have a civil argument about things and leave the insults out of it.

#32 Edited by phillip33 (3933 posts) - - Show Bio

@zgtfreak: come on, chances are if you’ve been debating for certain characters then Arguments are going to come up from the same few people and you’re going to know who’s going to chime in on the thread just specifically on the matchup you made. Yes, banning someone mid argument is bad, but banning someone before they can even form an argument is just as bad.

But you CAN heavily argue against wank in a thread as long as you’re being civil. People CAN also wank characters as long as they’re being civil. If the other wanker is so bad to the point they are using doragatory language and being uncivil, yeah you have a reason to contact a mod and have them judge the offense. But we all have our biases, that includes you and me, so these petty things like who’s being a wanker and not really don’t matter, and coming from our own biases it’s pretty easy to label someone a wanker for disagreeing with us, which is why a mod is necessary to judge the conduct of the dispute, and not up to every individual who seems someone a wanker. Once again, these are public, open forums and once we start banning people for disagreeing with us then the forums start to degenerate into one sided wankfests, because anyone willing to even put up an argument is probably banned from even trying.

You say you’re conservative in your views on censorship, but you seem to be taking a very radical approach to this very subject.

And like I said, you can already do what you’re trying to accomplish on a private message or a CAV

#33 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36610 posts) - - Show Bio

U can already do that...it’s called a pm

#34 Edited by RedHood_JayTodd (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy said:

@redhood_jaytodd: And once again, I don't disagree with you, call people out if you want. Just leave out the insults. I don't have a problem with Ren myself, you do, but I would defend anyone who hasn't even had a chance to say anything. You don't have to respect him, just be polite and mature.

Yes, respect is earned, but you're doing exactly what you're stating, calling someone out for everyday issues. This is a forum, he's a mod. Whether or not he abuses his power is down to what you believe, but he was given that role for a reason. You have to respect that, even if you don't like him.

I'm not on the forums all that much as I'm a wiki user, so I haven't exactly seen what he's done, but just have a civil argument about things and leave the insults out of it.

Fair enough. If you really want his opinion on this matter (which I am personally neutral on), then by all means. I haven't had good encounters with that dude, so I guess that got in the way when I saw that you asked for his opinion. You don't seem to have any issues with him like I do, so there's no harm in asking him for his opinion (or any other mod for that matter).

I don't like him. I don't respect him. And I don't give a damn if he's the President of the United States. But I'll be polite and sincere because the main issue on the thread is important and should indeed require a mod's opinion, of which I totally respect.

#35 Posted by AlexTheBoss (17003 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see why you want this, but it would probably lead to more problems than it’s worth.

#36 Posted by mrmonster (14696 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know. On one hand, this could be good to reduce outright trolling, but as others have said, this could lead to problems.

#37 Posted by Cloudguy (2216 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhood_jaytodd: The only reason I tagged him was because he's one of the few mods I've spoken to that interact on the forums, the others are wiki. If you think someone else can also contribute, tag them.

But thank you for understanding the point I was making.

#38 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy said:

@redhood_jaytodd: The only reason I tagged him was because he's one of the few mods I've spoken to that interact on the forums, the others are wiki. If you think someone else can also contribute, tag them.

But thank you for understanding the point I was making.

Oh ok I understand. And sure thing.

No problem man. I offer my sincere apologies.

#39 Edited by zgtfreak (1455 posts) - - Show Bio

@phillip33: Yes, banning someone mid argument is bad, but banning someone before they can even form an argument is just as bad.

The difference is that you can ban someone from your thread the moment their view goes a direction that you don't like, which is ridiculously stupid. Banning someone before they even comment based off what you've seen of them prior is fine, as you are simply not allowing them to participate in your thread, as opposed to "Oh, let me cut you off via ban mid-argument because you said something I don't like."

But you CAN heavily argue against wank in a thread as long as you’re being civil.

Seems at the very best to be a grey area in your own thread, as rules state that you can't debate in your own thread.

But we all have our biases, that includes you and me, so these petty things like who’s being a wanker and not really don’t matter, and coming from our own biases it’s pretty easy to label someone a wanker for disagreeing with us, which is why a mod is necessary to judge the conduct of the dispute, and not up to every individual who seems someone a wanker.

Pretty sure someone saying that fictional characters transcend fiction and can effect real life, or that a character is above omnipotence is objectively stupid and asinine.

Once again, these are public, open forums and once we start banning people for disagreeing with us then the forums start to degenerate into one sided wankfests, because anyone willing to even put up an argument is probably banned from even trying.

I understand what you're saying, but then I think you should be allowed to debate in your own thread against wank if we can't thread ban people.

You say you’re conservative in your views on censorship, but you seem to be taking a very radical approach to this very subject.

One: the dude earlier said we can't discuss politics here, and two: this is a discussion about fictional characters, not a serious issue effecting the real world that should not be censored.

Again though, you need to drop the politics, otherwise we'll get in trouble for derailing.

#40 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1445 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Cloudguy (2216 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhood_jaytodd: Apology accepted, although not needed. Just happy that we agreed in the end.

#42 Posted by Fabricolage (1885 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, can be abused.

#43 Posted by StormShadow_X (16372 posts) - - Show Bio

No...

#44 Posted by phillip33 (3933 posts) - - Show Bio

@zgtfreak: I thought you meant arguing against wank in general. You can’t argue in a thread you created because it shows that you have an inherent bias for about the outcome, and that you made the thread with a winner in mind, and if that’s the case why even make the thread at all? Based on your opinion, the thread is rigged from the get go, of course you can’t argue on a thread you made.You seem to have your mind made up already.

You keep calling these threads YOUR thread when it’s really just a thread that you made for comicvine and for the purpose of seeing a debate. Once again, these threads are public and available to everyone, none of the threads belong to anyone but comicvine itsself.

The argument may be asinine or stupid, but that doesn’t mean the user can’t have and voice that opinion. I don’t get why it’s so hard to just ignore someone. At the very worst you get an extra notification.

That had nothing to do with politics, simply on an ideological hypocrisy in your argument.

It seems we are not going to come to an agreement on this subject, so I’ll just let the rest of comicvine and the moderators judge who’s made a more reasonable argument.....

and that’s^^^ all you need to do when arguing with someone who has their mind set on a subject and simply won’t be swayed. It’s not hard, and a cheap price to pay as opposed to letting anyone ban whoever they want from the threads they create.

#45 Posted by pikahyper (18383 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a ridiculous idea.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
#46 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9296 posts) - - Show Bio

You are posting to a public forum. People that have different opinions than you aren't breaking any rules.

There are a thousand other features that would benefit the site more than this request.

#47 Edited by Renchamp (7738 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart said:

You are posting to a public forum. People that have different opinions than you aren't breaking any rules.

There are a thousand other features that would benefit the site more than this request.

This is exactly what I would have said. High fives all around.