Black Panther set to already cross $500M.

Avatar image for ultimateavatard
UltimateAvatard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Thanks to Black Panther and holdover business from Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Coco and Thor: Ragnarok, Walt Disney has already topped the $1 billion mark at the worldwide box office in just 52 days. And $491 million of that has come from Black Panther alone, as the MCU superhero flick races past $500m worldwide sometime today.

For what it’s worth, I would argue that every dime that Black Panther earns means one less dime that Solo needs to make to keep the whole market share thing in play. Yes, there is supreme irony in the African-set superhero movie potentially helping Disney save face if (and this is a big “if”) the Han Solo flick underperforms, but I’m not going to knock the studio that is releasing Black Panther and A Wrinkle in Time alongside that Star Wars Story.

For those who just came for Black Panther news, the Chadwick Boseman superhero movie earned another $14.5 million in North America, which is a 30% drop from Tuesday. That brings the film’s six-day total to $277.5m. That’s the fourth-biggest six-day total ever, behind The Force Awakens ($363m), The Last Jedi ($278.7m) and Jurassic World ($277.3m). We’ll see if T’Challa can catch back up to Rey and those dinos over its second weekend. Of course, Black Panther could sink like a stone from this point onward (like Fifty Shades of Grey, for example) and still end up over/under the $458m domestic total of Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Black Panther should end its first week over/under the $291 million domestic total of Man of Steel to be the 20th-biggest comic book flick and the 20th-biggest superhero movie ever in North America (sans inflation, but give it a week or so). The question heading into its second weekend (pray for Game Night and Annihilation) is whether it drops like a normal MCU flick (around 55%) or parlays its white-hot buzz into a hold closer to Wonder Woman or Spider-Man. For what it’s worth, Deadpool dropped 57% in weekend two while even The Dark Knight took a 53% drop after its record-crushing $158m Fri-Sun frame a decade ago.

The film opens in Russia today, and thus we should see a slight uptick in the overseas box office. The film earned $14.5 million overseas for a $213.6m foreign total. So yeah, it’ll pass $500m worldwide by the end of this sentence. It opens in Japan on March 1 and China on March 9, so we’ll know in early March whether the Ryan Coogler-directed flick will have all the stars or merely most of the stars. Yes, it is possible that Black Panther ends up crossing $1 billion, but I don’t want to see any tears shed if it ends up frontloaded (or if China and Japan don’t care) to the tune of $850m.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/02/22/box-office-black-panther-nears-500m-and-pushes-disney-over-1b-for-2018/amp/

Fireword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

will this surpass Avatar in the box office?

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm glad. At this point, a Black Panther 2 seems like a safe bet and I'm hoping it'll be more of a Winter Soldier or Civil War than an Iron Man 2 or 3.

IAmVerySmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fireword said:

will this surpass Avatar in the box office?

Hahaha, you must be kidding.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kgb725

@aros001: Feige said Coogler can return if he's up for it which I think he will

TheDeathstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IAmVerySmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Saberscar223

For a second I though this was another @Wakandason thread

TheDeathstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

lol ppl think its gonna beat avatar?

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. After just one week, it's made more than most movies will make in their entire runs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f
deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a second I though this was another @Wakandason thread

WakandonSon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: long as it's above DCEU quality I'm good.

Just no trash please!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WakandonSon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should be over 700mil after this weekend. And it has so many key regions left to be released in China and Japan.

Marvel is on fire. The MCU is a-list and bit shows!!