• 91 results
#51 Posted by CosmicMuffin (476 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp:

Infinity War simply did not have as high of reviews as Black Panther.

Infinity War had a 68 on Metacritic while BP got an 88.

And obviously it does have something to do with race, because Black Panther literally talks about race as one of its main themes. You can’t say “it’s only nominated because it had black people” when the script and other aspects were literally built over the idea of race.

#52 Posted by CosmicMuffin (476 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackdog2009:

Just because you didn’t like it doesn’t mean Disney bought the nomination. Film is subjective. I loved it, many people loved it.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#53 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7163 posts) - - Show Bio

Its been a weak year for movies and this is pretty much a pitty nomination as they didnt want to face any backlash because they would have if it wasnt nominated for best picture

#54 Edited by StormShadow_X (16365 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol. Not surprised, if you like BP good on you but it wasn't even the best marvel movie we've gotten

#55 Posted by Kevd4wg (12512 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like this is a combination of reaction to Oscarssowhite(which was justified with movies like Straight out of Compton and Creed coming out that year) as well as their criticism of not nominating TDK(and to a lesser degree Logan I suppose). I would've preferred if Logan or IW got nominated, particularly Logan since other then TDK I think it's really the only cbm that deserves any sort of awards, maybe one of the Deadpool's for it's pushing of the boundary, but I think it's pretty obvious the Oscars did it for attention and don't actually see it as a best picture film.

#56 Posted by MonsterStomp (36708 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmicmuffin: Black Panther won't win. Was only nominated for its racial subject matter. But the truth is, that subject didn't make Black Panther any deeper as a film.

#57 Posted by TDK_1997 (18634 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a good movie, not a groundbreaking one definitely. It deserves its nominations in the sound department and the costume one, but it really isn't even close to being worthy for a Best Picture nomination. I know the film won't win in that category, but the mere fact that it got nominated in that category is annoying.

#58 Posted by CosmicMuffin (476 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp:

I disagree, it definitely made it a deeper film imo.

But I do agree that it won’t win

#59 Edited by DeathandGrim (4807 posts) - - Show Bio

Just gonna mind my black ass business and read these comments

No Caption Provided

Except I have to comment on people continually saying they wish Logan got nominated instead. I'd like the point out Logan came out early 2017 and can't be nominated for the 2018 awards being held in 2019.

#60 Posted by DeathandGrim (4807 posts) - - Show Bio

@magian said:

@morpheus_: Pretty sure everyone knows why BP got nominated. Personally I don't know if IW should be nominated as well but yeah, if if they had to choose one, that would have been a better pick.

I mean I don't wanna know the answer but I kinda do. So what's this reason everyone knows?

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#61 Edited by buttersdaman000 (22677 posts) - - Show Bio

It really sucks it likely got nominated on it's cultural relevance, not on it's quality. Lets be honest, if there were other big super hero films featuring a black character, BP would not have gotten this nomination. But, whatever, what's done is done. I don't think it has a chance of winning, this is just the Oscars trying appeal to larger fan bases even if they're doing it wrong.

#62 Posted by Renny (3182 posts) - - Show Bio

I really haven't watched Black Panther in months. I may go back and re-watch it so I can appreciate it more. But then I don't think I've seen any of the other films nominated for Best Picture. But I think I've forgotten how good Black Panther is.

#63 Posted by Yassassin (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@magian: The best picture nominees are:

• BlacKkKlansman
  • Black Panther
  • Bohemian Rhapsody
  • The Favourite
  • Green Book
  • Roma
  • A Star is Born
  • Vice

Damn was this year really that rough?

#64 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36601 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it will win. This is the perfect year, it’s a weak crop of Oscar movies, the Oscars want to be trendy, and they want to wash away the stain of Oscars so white.

#65 Posted by jayc1324 (26421 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do people try to separate the cultural impact of BP from the movie? Like people always bring up how it's only nominated for stuff because it deals with race, but that is kind of the point of the movie.

#66 Edited by Unusedusername (60 posts) - - Show Bio
@jayc1324 said:

Why do people try to separate the cultural impact of BP from the movie? Like people always bring up how it's only nominated for stuff because it deals with race, but that is kind of the point of the movie.

All of this. Black Panther had a far more cultural impact than any other Comic Book Movie in a long time I'm not surprised it has a huge presence at the Oscars.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#67 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9006 posts) - - Show Bio

All that salt and no 🍟.

#68 Posted by Tyger (461 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol always funny to see how pathetic people get over stupid things. So concerned about a movie winning an award, is constantly hating on the movie not enough. I hear it's overrated about 50 times a week.

#69 Posted by CosmicMuffin (476 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingofwakanda said:

@magian: The best picture nominees are:

• BlacKkKlansman
  • Black Panther
  • Bohemian Rhapsody
  • The Favourite
  • Green Book
  • Roma
  • A Star is Born
  • Vice

Damn was this year really that rough?

If I may ask, what films would you have nominated for Best Picture? All these movies are great, with the exception of Bohemian Rhapsody. Still don't understand how a movie that got mixed reviews from critics (49 on Metacritic) got nominated for Best Picture.

#70 Posted by CosmicMuffin (476 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

#71 Posted by DeathandGrim (4807 posts) - - Show Bio

Hoo Chile there's a lot of salt in here

#72 Posted by Batvibe12 (5570 posts) - - Show Bio

That's good.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#73 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22677 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it will win. This is the perfect year, it’s a weak crop of Oscar movies, the Oscars want to be trendy, and they want to wash away the stain of Oscars so white.

Then hopefully the better, more thoughtful movie, BlacKKKlansmen will win.

#74 Posted by Magian (151225 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324: Well it is a Best Picture award after all. Cultural impact aside, was the movie really that good to deserve to be nominated? It was definitely a good CBM but not award worthy. At least not in my opinion anyway.

#75 Posted by foxerdes (9960 posts) - - Show Bio

Those awards are kind of a joke at that point.

#76 Posted by ANTHP2000 (25778 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of hope it wins, just for the drama.

#77 Posted by King-Ragnar (3739 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta wonder how much Disney paid the Academy and put in their campaign to include a 7/10 movie at best in the nominees for best pictute.

#78 Posted by Magian (151225 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

I kind of hope it wins, just for the drama.

Truth be told though, part of me would like to see this happening for the exact same reason lol

#79 Posted by CosmicMuffin (476 posts) - - Show Bio

@king-ragnar:

Some dude on Comic Vine believes it’s a 7/10 movie. Therefore, Disney must have paid critics and the Academy so it gets a Best Picture nom.

Or you know, film is subjective and other people just loved it, weird concept I know.

#80 Posted by King-Ragnar (3739 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmicmuffin:

Some dude on Comic Vine believes it’s a 7/10 movie. Therefore, Disney must have paid critics and the Academy so it gets a Best Picture nom.

You do realize all studios spend money (usually ranging from 3 to 10 million dollars) on their movie campaigns to get their movies nominated for an Oscar, right?

#81 Posted by CosmicMuffin (476 posts) - - Show Bio

@king-ragnar:

Yeah, they had a major campaign for Mary Poppins Returns and that film missed out on Best Picture. Money can buy a better awards campaign, but it can’t buy a nomination.

#82 Posted by King-Ragnar (3739 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmicmuffin:

Money can buy a better awards campaign, but it can’t buy a nomination.

An award campaign with a lot of money does get you a nomination, lol.

#83 Posted by CosmicMuffin (476 posts) - - Show Bio

@king-ragnar:

Once again, why didn’t it work for Mary Poppins then? Probably because it wasn’t all together a great movie. Black Panther actually had great reviews and a message of African American celebration which they used in their campaign. And no, you can’t just say it was only nominated for that reason, because the african celebration is literally a part of the movie and one of the best aspects of it.

That’s like saying “Heath Ledger was only nominated for best supporting actor because he was good in the movie”. Alright? It’s just restating why it was nominated and trying to put a negative spin on it.

#84 Posted by King-Ragnar (3739 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmicmuffin:

Once again, why didn’t it work for Mary Poppins then? Probably because it wasn’t all together a great movie.

Because they obviously didn't invest a lot of money and time into it's campaign.

Black Panther actually had great reviews and a message of African American celebration which they used in their campaign. And no, you can’t just say it was only nominated for that reason, because the african celebration is literally a part of the movie and one of the best aspects of it.

Of course reviews matter. That's how Bohemian Rahpsody got nominated. A movie with 62% on rotten tomatoes and 49/100 on metacritic gets nomniated for best picture. But no, a good campaign doesn't get you a nomination (according to you)

#85 Posted by CosmicMuffin (476 posts) - - Show Bio

@king-ragnar:

That’s not what I said. I literally said that money can buy a better campaign, but money cannot guarantee a nomination. Like 2 posts ago, tf?

And last year there was a great campaign for a Wonder Woman in all categories, which failed to snag even one.

http://www.goldposter.com/261338/

Movie got great reviews, had cultural appropriation and nothing. The campaign failed.

Just because it worked for Bohemian Rhapsody and Black Panther doesn’t mean it works for every film.

#86 Edited by Subline (7017 posts) - - Show Bio

Best production / costume design.

Loading Video...

🤔

#87 Posted by King-Ragnar (3739 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmicmuffin:

That’s not what I said. I literally said that money can buy a better campaign, but money cannot guarantee a nomination

And you're factually mistaken there given that money can guarantee a nomination.

Just because it worked for Bohemian Rhapsody and Black Panther doesn’t mean it works for every film.

It's clear as day that you like Black Panther, a lot and won't acknowledge the fact that this how films get nominated for Oscars, so this conversation is pointless. Have a good day sir.

#88 Posted by CosmicMuffin (476 posts) - - Show Bio

@king-ragnar:

You literally ignored my points about Wonder Woman, and Mary Poppins. And just restated your claim. Where’s the evidence. You’re just saying your opinion is a fact without any support. I actually gave support, which you keep ignoring.

And just because I like Black Panther means my opinion doesn’t matter? It’s clear as day you do NOT like Black Panther, so why should I believe your claim as reliable? Hypocritical much. Where’s your proof that money guarantees a nomination?

I’m not denying that campaigning for an Oscar allows you to get nominations. I’m only saying that just because you campaign and spend a lot of money, doesn’t mean you will automatically receive a nomination. Are you dense? Where has your point ever held true in any past years of the Oscars? You know how much studios spend to campaign films, only to see them get snubbed in categories? You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

#89 Posted by modernww2fare (7017 posts) - - Show Bio

I told y'all it was overrated

#90 Posted by superman52445 (403 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Knight dont having nominated for best picture is oscar's biggest mistake.

#91 Posted by LowMageKage (122 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't see why any of this matters.