I prefer TWS right now.

#4 Posted by PayneInTheAss (11916 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by rogueshadow (29423 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by PayneInTheAss (11916 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Most impressive.

And yes. They are not working

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#7 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24982 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Killmonger a good villain in general?

#8 Posted by Wakel (827 posts) - - Show Bio

As this says spoilers I will post my unfiltered opinion.

I won't delve much into it.

Killmonger was good. However, his way of speaking was really out of place in the film. It makes sense because he didn't grow up in Wakanda, but it just came across as cringe often.

The fact he was more skilled as a fighter than Tchalla was also strange. Can the military make better fighters than Wakanda's King? I wish he had more scenes to show his beliefs about the rest of the world needing Wakanda's help. Those parts really showed his characters depth.

I think the action scenes were good but could've been better, just in terms of seeing more skilled fighting, if that makes sense?

Despite this I did enjoy the film and will likely see it again before it's on DVD.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65
#9 Edited by deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65 (4972 posts) - - Show Bio

I've watched it, and I have to agree with @wakel here. Killmonger (to me, at least) was a one-dimensional villain who was an exact replica T'Challa, it reminded me of Yellowjacket, Abomination, Whiplash, etc. And him being more skilled made as much sense as MCU Daredevil becoming more skilled during his hiatus.

Can't say I liked the film, had a very formulaic and predictable plot (we all knew T'Challa would lose the second he was challenged by Erik), the more likable antagonist got killed off halfway (a prequel with T'Chaka and Klaw, anyone?) and the emotions felt forced (also why do the Wakandans just accept Martin Freeman's character into their civilisation?). Special effects and acting were decent from everyone though.

Although, T'Challa has accumulated the feats and gear to put him at the top of the live-action street levelers, so for debaters that's good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aad0467ddfcf
#10 Edited by deactivated-5aad0467ddfcf (965 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact he was more skilled as a fighter than Tchalla was also strange. Can the military make better fighters than Wakanda's King?

he said in the movie he trained day in day out for his duel with t'challa. doesn't necessarily mean his sole teacher was the US army

#11 Posted by The_Magister (14423 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact he was more skilled as a fighter than Tchalla was also strange. Can the military make better fighters than Wakanda's King?

he said in the movie he trained day in day out for his duel with t'challa. doesn't necessarily mean his sole teacher was the US army

Also, this is a universe in which exceptional prodigies like Frank Castle can be produced by the military. Could very well be that Erik is a talent on that level.

#12 Posted by deltahuman (4986 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly what I feared it would be. I saw some spoilers beforehand and was very disappointed. I thought BP would be TWS level. Ratings are very deceptive these days.

#13 Posted by silent_bomber (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't enjoy this film much, actually I'd say the first 1/3rd was legitimately boring.

It picked up after Killmonger was established, leading it to be an okay-ish movie overall.

#14 Posted by Thorthunder98 (6876 posts) - - Show Bio

Was amazing I loved it I thought the action was great and so was the acting, some things were predictable but I still loved it.

@rogueshadow: What did you think of it?

#15 Posted by rogueshadow (29423 posts) - - Show Bio

Was amazing I loved it I thought the action was great and so was the acting, some things were predictable but I still loved it.

Liked it a lot, but I don't think I loved it tbh. There were some great moments, like when Killmonger bodied T'Challa. I was really tired when I saw it though. Like, exhausted, I fell asleep on the bus home afterwards.

M'Baku was a boss. I really liked the scenes where he saw the Black Panthers of the past as well. I want to see Bast though. I was surprised I liked Shuri, she seemed annoying in the marketing but she was good.

#16 Posted by Thorthunder98 (6876 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorthunder98 said:

Liked it a lot, but I don't think I loved it tbh. There were some great moments, like when Killmonger bodied T'Challa. I was really tired when I saw it though. Like, exhausted, I fell asleep on the bus home afterwards.

M'Baku was a boss. I really liked the scenes where he saw the Black Panthers of the past as well. I want to see Bast though. I was surprised I liked Shuri, she seemed annoying in the marketing but she was good.

Yeaa like some stuff was predictable like I knew M'Baku would turn up at the end and T'Challa obviously returning, but when they happened I was still hyped up and loved it. Yea I really liked M'Baku too and I feel the same about Shuri I thought she'd annoy me but she was actually great, Okoye was great too she was a badass.

Was expecting to see the soul stone be related to the Heart Shaped Herb but I guess this means it will most likely be in Heimdall then?

#17 Posted by tj849 (8569 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly what I feared it would be. I saw some spoilers beforehand and was very disappointed. I thought BP would be TWS level. Ratings are very deceptive these days.

I dont understand why people were overhyping it so much. Its a good film tho.

#18 Edited by rogueshadow (29423 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorthunder98 said:
@rogueshadow said:
@thorthunder98 said:

Yeaa like some stuff was predictable like I knew M'Baku would turn up at the end and T'Challa obviously returning, but when they happened I was still hyped up and loved it. Yea I really liked M'Baku too and I feel the same about Shuri I thought she'd annoy me but she was actually great, Okoye was great too she was a badass.

Was expecting to see the soul stone be related to the Heart Shaped Herb but I guess this means it will most likely be in Heimdall then?

I was on the Heimdall train but when it wasn't established in Ragnarok I figured it must be in Wakanda. It's possible that the Soul Stone is somewhere we simply don't know yet and will be revealed in IW. Opening scene could be Thanos strolling through some planet to take the soul stone from them.

Okoye was a real stand out for me, I liked her a lot, she was a badass and had a good character dilemma, same with W'Kabi. The film was very good with character motivations in general. W'Kabi and M'Baku were pretty justified in their anger at the royal family. Also, when Okoye decided she was sick of Killmonger's shit and banged the staff on the ground so all the Dora got into formation and attacked. Awesome. The Dora in general were badasses.

I was hoping Klaue and Killmonger would wind up in the Raft. Seemed like a waste of them both.

I was hoping T'challa would get better skill feats though tbh.

#19 Posted by Thorthunder98 (6876 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorthunder98 said:
@rogueshadow said:
@thorthunder98 said:

I was on the Heimdall train but when it wasn't established in Ragnarok I figured it must be in Wakanda. It's possible that the Soul Stone is somewhere we simply don't know yet and will be revealed in IW. Opening scene could be Thanos strolling through some planet to take the soul stone from them.

Okoye was a real stand out for me, I liked her a lot, she was a badass and had a good character dilemma, same with W'Kabi. The film was very good with character motivations in general. W'Kabi and M'Baku were pretty justified in their anger at the royal family. Also, when Okoye decided she was sick of Killmonger's shit and banged the staff on the ground so all the Dora got into formation and attacked. Awesome. The Dora in general were badasses.

I was hoping Klaue and Killmonger would wind up in the Raft. Seemed like a waste of them both.

I was hoping T'challa would get better skill feats though tbh.

Yeaa same I thought it'd be revealed in Raganarok if not then Black Panther, I feel it could be revealed at the start of Infinity War that Heimdall maybe has it and Thanos kills him for it at the beginning but idk. You could be right it might just be in some random place, I guess Thanos' army must just be attacking Wakanda for the Vibranium then or I was told that it's possible the Asgardians and Heimdall are there protecting Heimdall and the stone. But idk at this point it's all up in the air now.

Yea same she was badass throughout the whole film, and yess so many moments gave me chills in that sequence that being one of them, and when T'Challa first did the energy pulse and then the second one when he saved Shuri.

Yea I was at least expecting Klaue to survive, and same I was hoping he'd get some crazy h2h feats but oh well maybe in Infinity War.

Do you think Killmonger was actually more skilled than him or do you think T'Challa's mental state was hindering him?

#20 Posted by wildvine (14882 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Mind if I pin this for a bit? Nice idea to have an official spoiler discussion thread for casual conversations

#21 Posted by rogueshadow (29423 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorthunder98:

• Getting the space and soul stone in one film seems too easy though. But I have considered that Loki might use an illusion to try and slow down Thanos and send the space stone to Earth/the Sorcerers with Banner. I can see Loki trying to use an illusion on Thanos to give Thor/the Asgardians some time to escape. It probably won't work, Thanos immediately sees through it and Loki gets murdered, Thor goes into a rage, Thanos wrecks him and pimpslaps him into space but the rest of the Asgardians do just about manage to escape. I can see that being the opening scene of the film.
  • It's still possible they have the Soul stone and it just wasn't pertinent in this film, but I didn't catch even the slightest hint, so I don't know.
  • Personally, I think Killmonger was harbouring a decades long grudge whereas T'Challa was still shook from the revelation and was processing that, his heart wasn't fully in it, he wanted to win but he didn't have the fire he usually has. I think he went into beast mode when he saw Erik was about to kill Shuri.
  • I wish they had the FF already, I would have loved for the post-credits scene to be Doom watching T'challa's speech to the U.N. from his throne-room in Latveria.

@wildvine - Sure.

#22 Edited by deltahuman (4986 posts) - - Show Bio

@tj849:

Yeah. People went so far as to say that Black Panther is the first superhero movie that predominantly features a black person and character but we've already had the Blade Trilogy more than a decade ago. They just plainly disregarded it.

Anyway, I think Killmonger still doesn't solve the villain problem. I mean Michael B. Jordan was terrific as per reports and looks like his performance was the highlight of the movie but his character is the same old one dimensional villain that almost all MCU origin stories feature. He has the same powers and abilities as the protagonist, has had some history with him, defeats the protagonist and makes him go into a journey of self discovery or whatever and then the protagonist returns to defeat him in the end and then he announces himself to the world. Exact replica of Iron Man, Thor and has similarities with Dr Strange, Ant Man and others. It's the same old tried and tested formula. Nothing new. Also what's the point of killing both Killmonger and Klaue. This is beyond my comprehension. Why would you make Michael B. Jordan's character another disposable villain if he did so good in the first place. That just puts him in the league of the other disposable MCU villains like Yellowjacket, Iron Monger, Whiplash, Malekith, Kaecilius etc. They should've kept at least one alive, imprisoned in the Raft. Also is it true that Erik is T'Chala's half brother or something? If it is then I'm surprised they used this theme immediately here after Ragnarok.

Just saw a thread comparing Killmonger to Heath Ledger's Joker BTW. I don't know what to say. Just SMH.

And yeah I'm glad the soul stone isn't in Wakanda. Would be a terrible idea to put 3 stones on earth itself. I hope its in Nidavellir. Thor and Eitri will probably use it to craft new weapons or something.

#23 Posted by tj849 (8569 posts) - - Show Bio

@deltahuman: They did it different with Killmonger tho imo as they started with the flashback scene, seeing him kill a big character like klaw and I really liked his plan, it was some different to the "oh im gonna destroy the world" generic type of villain, he was quality and I love his final moments with T'Challa, very emotional. But certainly hes no where near Nolans Joker level, or MCU Kilgrave or DCEU Zod and hes not on Yellowjackers tier for sure lol. T'Challa didnt really learn how to beat him tbh, Killmonger only lost because of his ego. They're just cousins. It will be interesting to see what they do with the soul stone, I have no clue where it is now.

#24 Posted by GateOfBabylon (4574 posts) - - Show Bio

Best MCU villain in a while, but the movie itself wasn't that amazing. The final fight between Panther and Jaguar was kinda underwhelming; I was more interested in the fight between the Dora Milaje and the Border Tribe.

#25 Posted by buildhare (8752 posts) - - Show Bio

He tackled a rhino! What!

#26 Edited by Thorthunder98 (6876 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: That does seem possible, I'm pretty sure Loki isn't going to betray Thor again or he might pretend to but is really trying to stop Thanos, I do think Loki is going to die though. And Thor almost certainly will get wrecked by Thanos at the start. I'm on the Heimdall train again for now.

Yeaa Killmonger seemed like he'd already knew he'd win, T'Challa seemed more in shock from it.

That would've been a perfect post-credits scene because as they were I was expecting a bit more from the credits scene tbh.

#27 Edited by Asgaard (4548 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther has great characters, very good narrative and worldbuilding, and good visuals and cinematography.

But when you self-contain and tone it down (specially blockbuster wise) you have to give your movie intensity & tension, if not there will be some pace issues where the spectacle of big battles or action scenes may feel disjointed from the rest of the movie, Black Panther has some of that moments.

8/10

#28 Posted by jashro44 (53741 posts) - - Show Bio

@wakel said:

The fact he was more skilled as a fighter than Tchalla was also strange. Can the military make better fighters than Wakanda's King? I wish he had more scenes to show his beliefs about the rest of the world needing Wakanda's help. Those parts really showed his characters depth.

Killmonger wasn't just a soldier. Evert Ross said he was a part of the ghost units which are trained to sabotage an entire nation or something similar to the same statement Bucky made about the winter soldiers in civil war. As killmonger said he trained his entire life for that moment and all those scars he had on his body were meant to represent a kill.

This is beyond my comprehension. Why would you make Michael B. Jordan's character another disposable villain if he did so good in the first place. That just puts him in the league of the other disposable MCU villains like Yellowjacket, Iron Monger, Whiplash, Malekith, Kaecilius etc. They should've kept at least one alive, imprisoned in the Raft.

I don't see how killmonger being killed puts him in the same league as the other villains? Regardless they can easily bring him back with the resurrection alter. That is how Priest did it.

Just saw a thread comparing Killmonger to Heath Ledger's Joker BTW. I don't know what to say. Just SMH.

Pretty sure that was a bait thread.

#29 Edited by deltahuman (4986 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44:

Well I didn't mean to say that Killmonger is now in the same league. No. Characters like yellowjacket were terrible. Killmonger looks like a genuinely good character and very well acted. I just didn't want him to be treated like a disposable villain. Not even Klaue. I liked his AoU performance.

Anyway, so you've seen it? Is it as good as TWS. I mean TWS didn't feel slow or boring at any point. The action sequences in were great, there were good monologues, the acting was relatively better than most MCU movies, well fleshed out characters and no terrible jokes. Like the Russo's said, they tried to make TWS, Honest Trailer proof. Is Black Panther on that level? I mean absence of lazy writing and stuff?

Cuz Ratings are much better than TWS but I'm sceptical.

#30 Posted by jashro44 (53741 posts) - - Show Bio

@deltahuman:

Well I didn't mean to say that Killmonger is now in the same league. No. Characters like yellowjacket were terrible. Killmonger looks like a genuinely good character and very well acted. I just didn't want him to be treated like a disposable villain. Not even Klaue. I liked his AoU performance.

Well it would be very easy to bring him back. As Killmonger has been resurrected before and received amp stats when he was resurrected. So I wouldn't give up on hope of seeing Killmonger in the future. Its possible we might not but its possible we will.

Anyway, so you've seen it? Is it as good as TWS. I mean TWS didn't feel slow or boring at any point. The action sequences in were great, there were good monologues, the acting was relatively better than most MCU movies, well fleshed out characters and no terrible jokes. Like the Russo's said, they tried to make TWS, Honest Trailer proof. Is Black Panther on that level? I mean absence of lazy writing and stuff?

Cuz Ratings are much better than TWS but I'm sceptical.

Personally I was entertained through out all moments in the film. There are some cool action sequences but I felt the real strength of the film were the characters. They were all likeable and they all had moments.

#31 Posted by rogueshadow (29423 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: That does seem possible, I'm pretty sure Loki isn't going to betray Thor again or he might pretend to but is really trying to stop Thanos, I do think Loki is going to die though. And Thor almost certainly will get wrecked by Thanos at the start. I'm on the Heimdall train again for now.

Yeaa Killmonger seemed like he'd already knew he'd win, T'Challa seemed more in shock from it.

That would've been a perfect post-credits scene because as they were I was expecting a bit more from the credits scene tbh.

• If they have Loki turn evil again it will be very poor. I don't see it happening.
  • Same with the P-C scenes.
#32 Edited by Emanresu_20 (3113 posts) - - Show Bio

Very solid film and it has moments where it was comparable to TWS but not all the way through. Killmonger was one of the most developed villians I’ve seen in an MCU movie second only to Loki.

I applaud the movie for not being washed out by political statements other than Killmongers radical biew of the World and Zuri’s humorous quips.

Other than that it did a great job not forcing humor like most MCU movies, great action sequences, introduced the world of Wakanda perfectly, excellent cinematography, and amazing direction.

The CGI was shaky at times though

8/10.

#33 Edited by silent_bomber (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

Disclaimer - I am always at odds with Comicvine opinion, so don't take this too seriously.

I think its crazy to compare this movie to Winter Soldier, to me this is one of the weakest MCU movies so far, maybe in the top 5 weakest, this movie is not written or acted particularly well, and its action scenes are a mixed bag.

The antagonists in this movie are the only memorable characters in it, Andy Serkis brings a lot of energy and enthusiasm to his role as Klaw, and he is generally entertaining to watch, Killmonger is the only character in the whole movie who comes close to being an interesting character, and Michael B Jordan does it with a lot of swagger and confidence.

The Protagonists; The love interest in the movie is completely forgettable, she could've been written entirely out of the film and it would have made little difference, the romance scenes between her and Black Panther are lazy and underwritten. Black Panther and Okoye are a little better but not much. It would be unfair to call them one dimensional characters but there's really not much there to work with, Black Panther is "guy who tries to do his best", and Okoye is a sort of archetypal "honourable" character, there's little else going for them, the conflict between Okoye and W'Kabi is wasted.

But a bigger problem is Chadwick Boseman's acting, he is mediocre in this movie, I'm sorry, he just is. The guy never looks like he falls into his role as Black Panther, he always looks uncomfortable, and his delivery of lines is often strained.

The plot of the movie is very, very predictable, there is little to nothing surprising at all (maybe Klaw's death) the plot basically just pushes the film from set-piece to fight scene to set piece, with the only exception being the sections about Killmonger's backstory and motivations. The world-building is however first-rate for the most part.

Some action scenes are good, others are unimaginative, there's some shakey cam here and there, and a lot of CGI.

Just some of my thoughts on it, I'm sure most people with disagree

#34 Edited by WhyZoSerious (1824 posts) - - Show Bio

Muhahahhaha, I'm going in few hours. Wish me luck, is it worth it staying till the very end, I mean right after the lights are turned on?

#35 Posted by Reactor (4417 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really into doing full reviews myself, so I'll just get to the point. I really loved the movie and fully intend to watch it again. It was fun, enjoyable, engaging, unique (stylization, less so in substance; it was a very traditional "Hero's Journey"), and for the first time in I don't know how long, it didn't feel like just another cog in the MCU machine. It felt different and I loved it

#36 Posted by Thorthunder98 (6876 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get why Killmonger having the same powers as Black Panther is a bad aspect of him as a villain it makes no sense. What about Zod he has the exact same powers as Supes that doesn't take away from him being a good villain just don't see how that's a problem.

#37 Posted by DrPepperMan (6288 posts) - - Show Bio

Really liked it. Not as much as my sister (Dark Knight level, lol) but really liked it. Kill monger and BP were very good characters, and the girls were amazing, though I couldn't tell who was who among them, and I don't even know their names. But between T'Challa, Kill monger, and BP's sister, I don't know who was my favorite. And the movie was a perfect balance of real life and fiction, humor and seriousness. Easy 7/10 to potential 9/10.

#38 Posted by Asgaard (4548 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get why Killmonger having the same powers as Black Panther is a bad aspect of him as a villain it makes no sense. What about Zod he has the exact same powers as Supes that doesn't take away from him being a good villain just don't see how that's a problem.

There was absolutely no problem there... In fact (narrative wise) it made sense to legitimize T'challa as the only one that gets the opportunity to be the Black Panther. Its demonstrated that not everyone can be the Black Panther, it had some worthiness vibe...

#39 Edited by Thor_Parker82 (16446 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the movie, it was great.

I did find T'Challa's skill to be very unimpressive though, he almost got bested by M'Baku and got humilliated by Killmonger, seemed that his suit is the thing that made him special, I mean, he is still very skilled, but I wouldn't put him in the same ballpark as Steve/Matt Murdock....

Also, Bucky has awoken, I was very glad to see him, I have liked his character journey very much and I'm eager to see him next, I am also curious as to how the world will react to Wakanda's technology, we know how greedy the world is, so I doubt it won't have bad repercusions.

#40 Edited by jashro44 (53741 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82: Well keep in mind that T'challa has actually been the black panther for 8-10 years by this point. He is use to fighting with the powers of the herb. Its an entirely different experience for him to fight without it. Cap/T'challa/ and Bucky all incorporate their physicals into there fighting style because that is how they have trained. Not to mention it was actually said the herb gives the user super human instincts so he is probably more skilled with it. If you think about it like that than beating M'baku is actually a pretty decent feat.

Plus he did beat killmonger in there second fight.

#41 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16446 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44:

Well keep in mind that T'challa has actually been the black panther for 8-10 years by this point. He is use to fighting with the powers of the herb. Its an entirely different experience for him to fight without it.

Huh ?? When did they say that ?? He became the Black Panther when his father died, and the movie was set just a few weeks after, unless I missed something.

Cap/T'challa/ and Bucky all incorporate their physicals into there fighting style because that is how they have trained. Not to mention it was actually said the herb gives the user super human instincts so he is probably more skilled with it. If you think about it like that than beating M'baku is actually a pretty decent feat.

Well, we did already see in Civil War that Panther is superior to Bucky in all ways, even getting the best of him without the suit, so he also implements his enhanced physicals in fights, but remove the effects of the herb and I found him very unimpressive skill-wise, even with the herb, his moves just weren't as flashy as Cap's, not that flashy equals more skilled but it does give the audience a sense of flashier moves meaning more skilled fighter.

Plus he did beat killmonger in there second fight.

That was mostly due to Killmonger's arrogance, he had him on the ropes about to throw him again into the abyss, and stopped to brag, which T'Challa used to his advantage.

#42 Posted by TheVivas (19552 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82: Why is Killmonger beating BP a bad feat for BP and not a good feat for Killmonger?

#43 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16446 posts) - - Show Bio

@thevivas said:

@thor_parker82: Why is Killmonger beating BP a bad feat for BP and not a good feat for Killmonger?

Because Black Panther didn't have a single noteworthy skill feat throughout the entire film.

#44 Posted by TheVivas (19552 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82: And it’s not like we can look at his skill feats in Civil War right? Oh wait...

Not to mention he *does* have skill feats in the movie, so that point is moot.

#45 Posted by jashro44 (53741 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82:

Huh ?? When did they say that ?? He became the Black Panther when his father died, and the movie was set just a few weeks after, unless I missed something.

It was said in the tie-in comics.

Well, we did already see in Civil War that Panther is superior to Bucky in all ways, even getting the best of him without the suit, so he also implements his enhanced physicals in fights,

That is my point. Clearly T'challa is good but the thing is with him and the super soldiers is that they train using techniques by incorporating there physicals into there fighting style. There no where near as capable without there enhancements. Not just because they are physically weaker but there fighting style has to change completely. Moves like these aren't possible without super human physicals:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

but remove the effects of the herb and I found him very unimpressive skill-wise, even with the herb, his moves just weren't as flashy as Cap's, not that flashy equals more skilled but it does give the audience a sense of flashier moves meaning more skilled fighter.

Well again you have to keep in mind that to T'challa he did feel weaker and slower than normal, and his instincts would also be dulled compared to how he usually felt.

That was mostly due to Killmonger's arrogance, he had him on the ropes about to throw him again into the abyss, and stopped to brag, which T'Challa used to his advantage.

I need to rewatch the film but what I recall is T'challa disarmed Killmonger and impaled him with his own weapon. I don't recall Killmonger stopping to gloat and T'challa killing him while he was gloating?

#46 Posted by GateOfBabylon (4574 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44:

Well keep in mind that T'challa has actually been the black panther for 8-10 years by this point. He is use to fighting with the powers of the herb. Its an entirely different experience for him to fight without it.

He became King when his father died, he's been Black Panther for way longer. That's why he already has his suit. He's presumably been using it for a long time to protect Wakanda. You couldn't expect the old man in Civil War to still have been Black Panther.

#47 Posted by jashro44 (53741 posts) - - Show Bio

@nehyolaw said:
@thor_parker82 said:

@jashro44:

He became King when his father died, he's been Black Panther for way longer. That's why he already has his suit. He's presumably been using it for a long time to protect Wakanda. You couldn't expect the old man in Civil War to still have been Black Panther.

The prelude to black panther tie-in comic takes place 10 years from now. He was operating as black panther as Tony revealed himself to the world.

#48 Posted by King_Krown (1253 posts) - - Show Bio

Just came back from the theater. I enjoyed the hell out it. 9/10. T'Challa character develops. They handled his character greatly. Kilmonger was actually a good villain. One with a point,You even agree with SOME of his points. That's something that's key to any good villain in my opinion. He's personally my top MCU Villain. Micheal B. Jordan did an awesome job. Klaue/Andy Serkis was entertaining as hell. I even enjoyed the supporting cast. The Comedic timing was great,though it wasn't overdone. The visuals were amazing! The soundtrack was great. My only take away was the action being just "good." If the Russos(and whomever does their choreography) isn't handing the action,I'm a little disappointed.

#49 Edited by TheNoobStomper (795 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't really like it either. It felt blunt, rushed and not fully thought out. There were these moments that could have been very powerful, and yet they simply wasted away.

SPOILERS:

The scene where T'Challa gets to talk to his father again, could have been a great moment, if only the dialogue had been worked upon a little bit better.

Claw getting killed was really unecessary as he was a rather interesting, weird character that i believe would be positive to keep around.

I really liked T'Challa's sister as a character, but i could do without some of her lines which were drawn from the depths of hell like "What are THOOOOOOOSE?".

Killmonger should have been given a little more backstory, maybe have a few flashbacks of him in which we see what leads him to think the way he thinks.

Not enough blood considering the wounds in combat. The Dora Miraje that Killmonger killed by slitting her throat didn't seem to drop any blood. T'Challa got cut like 3-4 times and no blood (not even the water getting red or something). It really felt pussified.

The last scene between Killmonger and T'Challa could have been better by having a sort of emotional moment between the two.

After T'Challa took him to see the sunset, he could have said something along the lines of "I cannot correct the wrongs that our ancestors made, but i can promise you, i will make sure none will again be left behind". Give the dude some positive closure.

Nakia was a useless character if you ask me, she didn't really bring anything to the movie other than the love interest. Aside from that, she is quite a shallow, generic character.

Also, Ross not knowing T'Challa has access to vibranium or even that his suit is vibranium is rediculous. Even Captain America realised it when he asked T'Challa "Your suit, is it vibranium?". I mean, Stark has Captain's shield with him and its obvious it has scratch marks on it. It really doesn't take Sherlock (pun intended) to realise the dude who made the scratch marks has access to vibranium.

I really liked how the connected Ultron to Wakanda in a sense. You know how in the opening on BP we get the whole talk about how their entire advanced civilization is based upon the qualities of vibranium, which reminded me of Ultron's line "Vibranium, the most versatile substance on the planet, and they used it to make a frisby".

#50 Posted by CitizenSurfer (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

Why's this pinned?