Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (1223 posts) 28 days, 13 hours ago

Poll: Better performance: RDJ as Iron Man or Bryan Cranston as Walter White? (42 votes)

RDJ as Iron Man 33%
Bryan Cranston as Walter White 67%
#1 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually gonna have to go with Cranston here.

#2 Posted by KillBilly (2288 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even close...

#3 Edited by Richubs (5700 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn that's tough.

We've seen too much of Walter White.

Cranston went from nice old Chem teacher to scarface its amazing.

I have a feeling that RDJ would've done a better job if his character's writing was even better.

Walter White wins by a fair margin.

#4 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#5 Posted by Doom_Phd (1589 posts) - - Show Bio

Again RDJ is just playing RDJ. Saying RDJ is the living embodiment of Tony in the comics is funny tho.

#6 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

@doom_phd: It's ignorance, I read Iron Man comics for a period of weeks and I never found him to be any way like RDJ, he behaves more professionally and is often more serious, hardly ever cracked jokes too.

#7 Posted by PayneInTheAss (11911 posts) - - Show Bio

Cranston no contest, no disrespect to RDJ tho.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#8 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7665 posts) - - Show Bio

Cranston no contest

#9 Posted by Darkthunder (3135 posts) - - Show Bio

Cranston. Sorry tony

#10 Posted by SocaJunkie (8813 posts) - - Show Bio

White’s transformation from a mild mannered teacher into a ruthless drug kingpin was more narratively gripping and the acting level required for that development surpasses what RDJ leant for Tony Stark IMO.

#11 Posted by CreoleCuddy (776 posts) - - Show Bio

Cranston, but RDJ is still the goat.

#12 Edited by mrmonster (15906 posts) - - Show Bio

It's really not even close. It's not an exaggeration to say that Bryan Cranston's performance in Breaking Bad is one of the best acting performances of all time, movie or TV. RDJ's performance was pretty good, but nothing award-worthy.

Avatar image for the-finger-snap
#13 Posted by The-Finger-Snap (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Bryan Cranston stomps. Walter White was a thing of beauty

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#14 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17090 posts) - - Show Bio

Cranston

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#15 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17824 posts) - - Show Bio

Cranston's performance is better, but RDJ's charisma in the role is unparalleled, and he does a fantastic job with the emotional moments as well.

@doom_phd said:

Again RDJ is just playing RDJ. Saying RDJ is the living embodiment of Tony in the comics is funny tho.

This is a banal way to discredit RDJ's acting.

Loading Video...

Also, it isn't available online yet, but have you not watched the scene where he's emaciated at the beginning of Endgame and lashing out on Cap for the Avengers breaking apart?

There are numerous scenes in the MCU where RDJ goes beyond and demonstrates a range of emotions as the character. Sure, there are a lot of core similarities between the personalities of the two, but it's absurd to write these scenes off as "RDJ as being RDJ" unless you think RDJ was actually angry at finding out that Sebastian Stan killed his mother in the scene I just posted.

Avatar image for eternaldarkfury
#16 Posted by EternalDarkFury (2539 posts) - - Show Bio

Cranston.

#17 Posted by Doom_Phd (1589 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Nothing you mention disproved RDJ is playing RDJ. 90% of the time it’s being a wise guy. Beyond the range of a character because he has a few emotional scenes, just stop please. He has far more range as Sherlock Holmes and Sgt Lincoln Osiris (which is RDJ best performance to date)

#18 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17824 posts) - - Show Bio

@doom_phd: your insistence that RDJ is just playing RDJ stems from your limited understanding on the meaning of acting, and your peephole perspective that acting requires you to put on a different accent and adopt an entirely different persona.

In the scenes I mentioned, do you genuinely think RDJ felt angry and betrayed because he just found out his friend hid a secret from him regarding who killed his mother? Or how about the scene in Endgame? Do you think RDJ was genuinely emotionally drained after being stranded with very little food for a long period of time? If your answer to any of these questions is ‘No’ then you can’t tell me he’s playing himself. He’s channeling emotions and putting himself into the shoes of a character who is experiencing emotions he isn’t, and is bringing them to life.

If you want to argue he has more range in Sherlock Holmes and Tropic Thunder, that’s perfectly arguable, but your insistence that RDJ is playing himself as Iron Man is just wrong - as he has to bring emotions and stories to life that he isn’t actually experiencing. And I mentioned some scenes to disprove it.

#19 Edited by TheHercules (928 posts) - - Show Bio

Cranston, but RDJ is good

#20 Posted by Doom_Phd (1589 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: you’re not going to convince anyone that RDJ playing Stark is an example of pinnacle acting.

Him in tropic thunder was far better performance and would have gotten him an Oscar if Heath ledger wasn’t his competition

#21 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17824 posts) - - Show Bio

@doom_phd: are you hallucinating, dude? Cuz I don’t recall calling it pinnacle acting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf823e3012e8
#22 Posted by deactivated-5cf823e3012e8 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

Cranston and it's not close. It's one of the greatest performances ever.

#23 Posted by AchievedHero (262 posts) - - Show Bio

RBJ acts like himself most of the time for Iron Man. Bryan Cranston acted as a character that went from a boring science teacher to a drug kingpin. Both are good actors but the perfomance goes to Cranston in a heartbeat.