• 149 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Better movie - Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman (210 votes)

Captain Marvel 25%
Wonder Woman 75%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman was much better. I thought it was a genuinely great movie.

Captain Marvel was agressively mediocre, it felt like textbook early MCU to me, before they started picking up their game around late phase 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laurus said:

WW. Not only is it a better movie in it's own right, but I'd back it for nothing else than the fact it isn't a politicized feminist power trip.

Now,I liked WW... but

Ettika: I'm his assistant,means I do what he tells me,ha

WW: That's slavery!

WW: You let that little thing tell you what to do?

WW: Men aren't necessary for love..or was it marriage? Whatever she said sailing in the boat with Steve

NO ONE CAN CROSS NO MAN"S LAND!...but Wonder Woman can!

She was out of her element & kept reacting. Steve kept saying Diana no! she'd say Diana Yes! and do whatever the hell she wanted anyway because she was never wrong.

She was literally unstoppable the entire movie. You thought "Ares is making them fight" would be proved wrong...because mankind is both good and bad, But Nope. It's Ares..and everyone just stops fighting afterward.

Captain Marvel

CM: They weren't letting women fly combat missions at the time,so the only way we could get in the air was by test piloting planes. Then it literally showed her struggle to hang with Men in the military.

That's the extent of this "feminist power trip".

It's almost like...you didn't watch the movie.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman. Captain Marvel was good though.

Laurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_krown: I know but there are reasons for that, them being that the Amazons were their own culture and completely fictional. Captain Marvel was commenting on real world society, not some mythical amazonian idea of society.

I did watch the movie, but to be honest a lot of it was forgettable anyway. The best parts (unsurprisingly) were the parts with Jude Law and Sam Jackson. I hated the Skrulls being the 'good guys' in the end, as it completely removes any possiblity of a secret wars movie. Anyway, getting off track, a lot of the politicizing of Captain Marvel was done outside of the movie itself, "the future is female", and Brie Larson's twitter spree.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laurus: Being an assistant isn't "Slavery". There is no reason for that. You said "feminist power trip" yet you draw no issue with the fake female superhero crossing "No man's land". A very much real place that was called "No man's land" for a reason. Diana literally was never wrong, nor stoppable in that movie. While it was a joke that I found funny. The "that little thing tell you what to do" was a jab at Men listening to their dongs. Had nothing to do with Amazon culture, as she'd never seen a watch/dong.

Wait wait...So because she said something that was actually true... Which was Women weren't allowed to fly then, It's bad? What?You get upset when Erik Stevens/Killmonger mentioned Slavery? That makes no sense. You uncomfortable these things happen or uncomfortable you have to hear about them?

Whatever, like the movie or not, not the point here.

IT'S WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH. No sh*t she said that. How is that even an issue. Where is the power trip you mentioned?

So basically you dislike Brie Larson,by extension hate the movie despite it having none of the Politics Brie talks about?

Laurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_krown: Pretty sure the "slavery" thing was a joke.

Fake female superhero is the crux of that second statement, just as I wouldn't have a problem with a fake male superhero. Fake superheros in general are capable of doing what normal people aren't. I understand the symbolism but I'm willing to put that aside, because it's not just a normal woman crossing no mans land.

I agree her development was weak, she had pretty much no arc, but the film itself was more interesting and story driven than Captain Marvel in my opinion. And yes there were a few quips at men such as that light hearted joke, but that was just that, a joke. It was never meant to be a serious commentary on today's society or the 'perils' women face today, and that's why I can let it slide.

No it's bad when you try and equate that to modern day life for women, which is the underlying message of the film. And I'm gonna be honest here I didn't see BP, but heard it was relatively average, I don't have any particularly good or bad opinions on it.

What I want to know is when men's history month is.

I don't like Brie Larson, but the movie does a good job of making me hate it all by itself. I put this in GS's review over in the gen discussion but generally speaking it was a bland film, with a weak script, weak villians and complete dissapointment in the Kree/Skrull/Ronan department, pretty much the only reasons I watched it.

Essem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW is better by a landslide. No mans land solo this by itself. Better directed, better script, better story, action was equal. More powerful moments and better characters. Steve Trevor > Nick Fury (in that movie) not that Fury was bad, he wasnt. Just not as good as good as a supporting character as Steve.

Laurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I did see the film you know. I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not.

Laurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AngelJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW was better

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laurus: How did she try to equate that to modern life when she commented on it ONCE? It was specifically talking about when women couldn't fly because the movie TAKES PLACE IN THE 90's. If she would have said "yea I flew planes then and there" You'd be saying "bullsh*t,that's not accurate!". They couldn't then,now they can. How is that the entire message of the movie? You're straight up mad over nothing. The Room full of dudes in WW literally asked why the Woman was talking... weird you picking & choosing which parts of history not to be mad at despite them both being examples of sexism in the past...but whatever Brie Larson!

When is Men's histor--- Wow,Okay dude. You win,I'm done.

@agent41 You don't have to explain all that,I didn't say it was a bad movie. This was about him saying Cpt Marvel was a "feminist power trip" when WW was more of girl power movie than anything. I'm not saying it's a bad movie. I'm saying he's being hypocritical. It very obvious he just doesn't like Larson.

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wonder Woman only because of no Man's land scene and soundtrack.

Captain Marvel movie suffers from poor Direction and mediocre soundtrack.

Laurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Laurus

@king_krown: But for the majority of the 90s women could fly in the military. They're making problems where there weren't any. And the entire film was rife with people saying stuff like "this isn't a game for little girls" ect, who actually says that? No dad I've ever met is so discouraging to their kids, and I bet for the few there are, there are just as many mums who do the same.

Also, you cannot compare public opinions of the 1910s to public opinions of the 90s, on one hand women didn't even have the vote yet, on the other they were treated the same as men in almost every way possible.

What's wrong with having a men's history month? Feminists want equality don't they? Besides, men like it or not have contributed a lot to society over the course of Human civilization, surely we deserve a mention too if women do?

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laurus: Actually Carol Danvers is pilot in 80s in the movie. She died in 1989 in crash according to the movie. Also in the movie it is mentioned they were never given Combat missions.

Men's day is celebrated Nov 19.

Laurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraldofvengerberg: Oh yeah I forgot she was captured for six years. So it was in fact not accurate then, she wouldn't have been able to fly back then.

A day is a far cry from a month.

SpongeGar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

Captain Marvel is good, but nowhere close to Wonder Woman.

rem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By rem

No one ever challenged these too in their solo movie

Once carol unlocked her power ronan was scared of her.

Once Diana unlocked her power she beat Ares in under 1minute.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel...WW was great until the awful third act and had a lame villian...I like the twists in Captain Marvel better and the Stan Lee cameos...Steve escaping the Ottomans and the German vs Amazon battle scences make it close though.

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rem said:

No one ever challenged these too in their solo movie

Once carol unlocked her power ronan was scared of her.

Once Diana unlocked her power she beat Ares in under 1minute.

Yeah both the movie have no sense of danger and villains are defeated easily with no big fights.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By DeathandGrim

Wonder Woman by a large margin holy cow. Captain Marvel wasn't even visually more interesting which is something that's pretty easy for MCU movies.

Wonder Woman kept me engaged through the whole film and had great acting performances from Gal Gadot and Chris Pine. Brie Larson's performance...... whew boy it was stiff. Everyone in the film was stiff. I didn't believe any of them. I expected at least to be entertained a little but... nah.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While Brie Larson has a lot of haters, the more recent movie will always get more votes(unless if it's Justice League or BvS)

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#75  Edited By Mutant1230

I'm really surprised so many people are saying Captain Marvel, I thought the whole internet agreed it was going to be the worst movie ever :P

Avatar image for darkpsychiclord_prime
DarkPsychicLord_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed both

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman had more memorable moments but good god Ares was a horrible villain

Avatar image for deactivated-5c95582009caf
deactivated-5c95582009caf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW seemed less generic than CM for me.

Plus, Gal's acting was far better than Brie.

MercLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel.

Didn't like WW at all.

schedule2018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman because it has strong visuals and Diana is badass captain marvel does not stand a chance

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman easily

TourneyMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Polls say Wonder Woman is better. Yet Cap Marvel box office blows away WW own already in same time frame. Hmmmmm....

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Tie

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@agent41: it's ok we viners have different opinions all the time :p

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder woman is the movie Capt Marvel wish it was. Except for the box office probably since being a MCU movie alone at this point guarantees it'll do well.

njchrispatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gal Gadot was wonderful and I loved the characters in that movie. Captain Marvel had some good moments but it was mostly true to the Marvel Studios form; enjoyable and a bit funny but lacking any serious emotional stakes. I liked Brie much more than I thought I would, and Monica was a nice surprise to see, but the movie overall consisted of too many "Oh, that's interesting" moments instead of the "WOW!" ones I was hoping for. That said, Wonder Woman had barely any of these, which was good--in that they tried to focus on the story--and bad--in that the story wasn't really strong enough to support this kind of intense focus.

There are many parts I like about Wonder Woman but as a whole it isn't a movie that I found particularly stunning. Its uniqueness was trumped by its backstory-stuffing and overall lackluster storyline. Captain Marvel's tone was super generic, but I really enjoyed the story, even for all the disappointing parts (Mar-Vell and the Skrull motivations, mainly).

I found Captain Marvel better, but not by a huge margin. It needed Wonder Woman's uniqueness, and Wonder Woman needed Captain Marvel's engaging plot.

njchrispatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
@njchrispatrick said:

Gal Gadot was wonderful and I loved the characters in that movie. Captain Marvel had some good moments but it was mostly true to the Marvel Studios form; enjoyable and a bit funny but lacking any serious emotional stakes. I liked Brie much more than I thought I would, and Monica was a nice surprise to see, but the movie overall consisted of too many "Oh, that's interesting" moments instead of the "WOW!" ones I was hoping for. That said, Wonder Woman had barely any of these, which was good--in that they tried to focus on the story--and bad--in that the story wasn't really strong enough to support this kind of intense focus.

There are many parts I like about Wonder Woman but as a whole it isn't a movie that I found particularly stunning. Its uniqueness was trumped by its backstory-stuffing and overall lackluster storyline. Captain Marvel's tone was super generic, but I really enjoyed the story, even for all the disappointing parts (Mar-Vell and the Skrull motivations, mainly).

I found Captain Marvel better, but not by a huge margin. It needed Wonder Woman's uniqueness, and Wonder Woman needed Captain Marvel's engaging plot.

I really don't find cm's plot to be engaging at all. I found it to be underwhelming at times. There were certain things that felt they were placed in there with a shoehorn just to tie the character with the rest of the mcu. To me, Wonder Woman felt more organic and cohesive. But i know that we all have different opinions and that's fine.

I get what you mean. I mean Captain Marvel's plot wasn't GREAT, and to be honest the plot was really "meh", but I found it more engaging compared to Wonder Woman. For me, my enjoyment of Wonder Woman was lessened by the fact that the writers didn't seem to know how to use the villains and magical elements so just glossed over them, and the ending felt a bit too much like a generic superhero one. But I'm a story snob above all else, so in that sense I am biased. Either way, both are enjoyable watches, just for different reasons.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Limitless82

Wonder Woman for me, other than few moments of bad CGI (which Captain Marvel also shared) and the ending scene with a cheesy generic villain (that was also predictable for me since I saw it coming way ahead of the reveal) left me a little dissatisfied, overall, I enjoyed the film very much.

Captain Marvel on the other hand, I have more problems with it.

1) not entirely sold on the title character, to be fair I have only seen it once so repeat viewing might help, but so far her personality/characterization wasn't that impressive IMO, always appeared at arms-length and I didn't feel drawn to or connected with her somehow. I don't think its Larson's fault since she is a legit fantastic actress in Room (GOD I LOVE that film), but the way CM's character was written/portrayed in the film, it felt somewhat cold and detached and almost unwelcoming. I couldn't feel her emotion turmoil when her first mentor Lawson Died, nor do I think the display of her emotional impact after found out her past few years was all a lie AND her second mentor Yon-Rogg have been using her all along was realistic or portrayed well, it was almost like 2 seconds of her wide-eye "oh really?" then "meh, I am over it already". While I understand arguments can be made of why she acted that way, it still doesn't work for me, how can I invest in her relationships and her emotion journey when she barely has any (at least, shown any) to begin with?

2) I find Captain Marvel got the same issue most Superman stories faced-- too powerful to be interesting, the moment I saw her *SPOILER ALERT* turned back the massive missile and destroyed the rest, all the suspense died because I knew none of her enemy pose a threat any more. At least with someone powerful like Cavil superman, he got counterpart in Zod/doomsday (bad CGI aside) who can challenges him; or someone powerful like Thor, Hela was still capable of put him in danger; with CM, she is TOAA in her own movie, throughout the film she got in fights but barely been put under any danger-- as a Kree warrior she was superior than the Skrulls already and handled them just fine; then as soon as the movie revealed the true villains whom are on par with her, she unlocked her power almost immediately and became more powerful than them too; then when the space battle ships shows up seemingly unstoppable, surprise surprise, she went super Saiyan to the next level and trolled them all right away.. never for a moment did I felt there was any real stake or genuine danger for her to overcome. Frankly, I am very disappointed with most of the battles and especially the final conflict.

3) Not to mention the drastic hundredth-fold increase of power in blink of an eye once unleashed. Wonder Woman had a graduate increase in power: from a seemingly normal amazon fighter, to amazon fighter with hidden power, to a legit threat on battlefield against humans, to go toe to toe with a metahuman general whats-his-name, to taking on Ares god of war, to eventually ascend "god mode" after death of Steve, there is a growth and she earned her power through trial and hardship. CM on the other hand, started off about lower-mid tier as a Kree. In fact, I might even consider the restricted version of her to be mere top of street tier, consider the not-so-impressive Skrulls with their poor durability (killed immediately by car crush like any regular humans) could hang with her as mild challenge in 3/4 of the film. then in the last minute, BOOM! She sailed straight through entire mid tier, leapt past entire high tier, and went straight into god-tier. even Thor who had the most dramatic leap of power from Ragnorok to Stormbreaker, doesn't feel as jarring IMO.

4) the pace of the CM film feels quite uneven, there are nice scenes in between but feels kinda a drag overall to me, that is not to say I don't appreciate the quieter moments in the film, e.g. I really like the whole reunite with friend/friend's daughter arch, its quiet and doesn't contain any action but I appreciate its heart and emotion. Unfortunately, most of the rest of the film didn't give me the same sensation. Obviously this is all subjective so it's cool if others enjoyed the pacing and story telling, but sadly it didn't quite work for me.

5) soundtracks. to me it was also a let down, most of the soundtracks/music choice felt generic, even the supposed WOW moment when that song kicked in when she finally reach her full power near the end, it didn't give me any goosebumps, whereas in WW, when the music rised in the ww2 trench scene and the guitar wailed in the town siege scene, I got chill every single time.

6) the plot twist also didn't work for me since I saw it coming very early on in the film, much like the predictable-ness I found in WW's plot twist. No I am not a genius, but let's be honest, that kind of flip twist has been done to death on cinema, literature and games. So on this issue, they are a draw, no bonus point there.

So yeah, IMO Wonder Woman film is way better than Captain Marvel film. :-)

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, even Gene Colan and Roy Thomas, Carol Danvers's creators, dunked on Captain Marvel and said Wonder Woman was a better origin movie.

Ouch.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rem: No. Diana actually had flaws in her movie. Being naive and all. Not such thing with Carol.

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both were good not great. I had more fun watching captain marvel for sure.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DevilMayehm666: They basically said they thought Wonder Woman was a better origin movie and that they didn't like the portrayal of the Skrulls as Colan and Thomas also initiated the idea that those two races were at war.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both movies were garbage. But CM might be a bit less cringy.