• 149 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Better movie - Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman (210 votes)

Captain Marvel 25%
Wonder Woman 75%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
CyberpunkCop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel i didn't care much for Wonder Woman

AtmExle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW is better. Not by much though.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CM.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wonder Woman

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap marvel

bleidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't seen Captain Marvel yet, but Wonder Woman, IMO, is one of the best superhero movies of the decade along with The Winter Soldier and Infinity War, with TWS being my favorite, followed by IW and then WW. I doubt CM is going to be better. However, I'll abstain from voting until I see the movie.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW is probably a better movie in terms of quality but Captain Marvel looks like it will be better for people 12 and under

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW and it is not even close

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@agent41 said:

@theamazingspidey What do you think?

Thanks for the tag homie :D

OP: It says a lot about the quality of both films that even though Captain Marvel is fresh in my mind, and even though I've seen Wonder Woman at least 3 times, I still think WW is the better movie. If the movie is good enough, recency bias will give the latest movie the edge, but I honestly feel WW was better than CM by quite a significant margin. WW felt fresh and powerful in it's optimism, and inspired me in a way I hadn't been moved by a superhero movie in a long time. When I left WW, I felt like I could take on the entire world. I felt like I had the capacity to do good, and felt like I wanted to do good." When I left CM, I felt "well, that was a decent time at the movies!" One had a much stronger impact than the other.

Here is my review for Captain Marvel, and here is my review for Wonder Woman for comparison.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Thor Ragnarok

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc073360931e
deactivated-5cc073360931e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel by far

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could't you have just waited one more week? Now the DCEU fanboys voting 1's and WW and the MCU fanboys voting 10s and CM without even watching the bloody film.

MrClarky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bleidd: pretty much this, except I reckon Civil War was better than IW ?

Avatar image for jimjaspers20675
JimJaspers20675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JimJaspers20675

Captain Marvel, by far for me. Absolutely loved it. Honestly didn't give a f about WW.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

It's probably a little premature for this poll. In my preliminary opinion I would say captain marvel is better because its non stop action and it has an array of recognized characters from captain marvel while wonder woman lacked the fantasy aspect with monsters and gods that could have appeared during WW1

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel pretty handily. It's not that WW was bad either.

ImMadNice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted before I watched for some reason. Didn’t expect CM to be that great

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

WW for me, CM was good but WW had actual emotion in the movie.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I saw CM today. Wonder Woman was better.

Laurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW. Not only is it a better movie in it's own right, but I'd back it for nothing else than the fact it isn't a politicized feminist power trip.

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw CM and it was just plain boring compared to wonder woman.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Jgames

WW easily. Despite Wonder Woman being a mary sue, they use that to their advantage. As WW own naivety and belief in good in humanity was contrasted with the evil of humanity. While in Captain Marvel, I never felt that connected to her character. Never did I felt worry because she felt too powerful and never had a moment where I was happy for her learning to control her power or anything. Not to say the movie was not entertaining, or that Brie Larson was awful, but Gal Gadot nail her role. With the WW movie having a vision and being director driven versus Captain Marvel which feel like a formulaic marvel popcorn movie.

rem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rem

WW in her movie was more of a Mary Sue than CM honestly.

OT: CM definently had its moments but I think WW was the better movie

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to watch CM again to make up my mind.

WW was great the first time I saw it but with each viewing it just gets worse and worse, whereas Ragnarok for me is the opposite lol.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@agent41: I understand completely what you mean, Brie is definitely a better actor than Gadot but Gadot gave a better performance as WW compared to Brie's CM.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily Wonder Woman

No Caption Provided
Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to watch CM again to make up my mind.

WW was great the first time I saw it but with each viewing it just gets worse and worse, whereas Ragnarok for me is the opposite lol.

This. IMO, Wonder Woman was over-rated. Well directed, Gal Gadot did fine but the setting and morality were atrocious.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Penguin-Dust

@agent41 said:

@theamazingspidey: @godzilla44@Penguin-Dust I have to say that imo, cm proves once again that being an oscar winning actor doesn't mean you will be able to top anybody else in any given film. With brie larson, i got the feeling that she was just going through the motion the entire movie. In this movie, her presence felt underwhelming. Like she wasn't interested. Gal Gadot, a model turned actress showed a deeper connection with the character she was playing, and actually felt like she was embracing Wonder Woman.

In Larson's defense, even an Oscar winner needs good direction. I didn't feel that she was phoning it in like Jennifer Lawrence in X-Men Apocalypse, but I do believe she didn't know how to approach the character. Should she be more humorous, snarky, dry, or more serious and maybe even stoic? Should she use subtle or distinct facial expressions? How much should she gesticulate? Perhaps the script was largely at fault, but Vers was boring for the greater part of the movie and only toward the end showed signs of becoming somewhat interesting. If anything, the movie left her moving in a direction that I pray the Russo brothers fully expand on. It's sad when every other character in the movie is more entertaining than the "lead" character of a solo superhero movie. I feel I must add that I didn't hate Captain Marvel, it's just that after seeing the movie I feel largely indifferent about it.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@agent41 said:

@theamazingspidey: @godzilla44@Penguin-Dust I have to say that imo, cm proves once again that being an oscar winning actor doesn't mean you will be able to top anybody else in any given film. With brie larson, i got the feeling that she was just going through the motion the entire movie. In this movie, her presence felt underwhelming. Like she wasn't interested. Gal Gadot, a model turned actress showed a deeper connection with the character she was playing, and actually felt like she was embracing Wonder Woman.

In Larson's defense, even an Oscar winner needs good direction. I didn't feel that she was phoning it in like Jennifer Lawrence in X-Men Apocalypse, but I do believe she didn't know how to approach the character. Should she be more humorous, snarky, dry, or more serious and maybe even stoic? Should she use subtle or distinct facial expressions? How much should she gesticulate? Perhaps the script was largely at fault, but Vers was boring for the greater part of the movie and only toward the end showed signs of becoming somewhat interesting. If anything, the movie left her moving in a direction that I pray the Russo brothers fully expand on. It's sad when every other character in the movie is more entertaining than the "lead" character of a solo superhero movie. I feel I must add that I didn't hate Captain Marvel, it's just that after seeing the movie I feel largely indifferent about it.

Excellent response. Not sure how much I can expand on it, but I will add one more thing.

Some actors showcase an outstanding amount of range and are able to excel at a variety of roles, but being a great actress isn't always equivalent to being a great fit for every archetype. If you ask most people what Brie Larson's best performances are, it's likely they will tell you Ma in Room, and Grace in Short Term 12. It's no coincidence that in both films, she plays vulnerable and protective characters. Just because she is great at playing vulnerable and protective characters, doesn't mean she'll be great at playing a snarky, prideful character like Carol.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41:

Oh yeah dude. No Man’s Land scene is amazing no matter how many times you watch it.

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nucleon

@agent41:The third act could have ben better. But imo the great parts in Wonder Woman remain great no matter how many times you watch it. As an origin story, it felt to have more depth and be more cohesive than cm. Also i don't see what's wrong with the morality of the film. But to each their own.

WW's humanism didn't seem to extend to WWI Germans, who were by no means nazis, but it did extend to Dr Poison - probably because she was one of 'em wimmin folk. They slurred Ludendorf's name, etc. Standard fare for whoever has been raised in a WASP environment I guess so they don't even notice them anymore.

You think the third act was weak - I think only the first one was strong. The magic disappeared as soon as men appeared. After that, there was nothing too hard for WW who benefitted from just the right amount of PIS to be up to the task, but never did we felt any tension of any kind in the movie.

But like you wrote, to each his own.

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: What pis made her be up to the task?

Whatever she needed, she pulled it out of her arse, no matter if it was associated to the character or not. That's why there was no tension whatsoever, and I am being told it's the same in Cap Marvel.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel is good, but nowhere close to Wonder Woman.

Captainplanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nucleon: @agent41: @jgames: WW is not a Mary Sue. She could have easily gotten killed by bullets. I was at the edge of my seat during no man's land scene thinking she is going to get killed any movement?.

B#t#h Captain Mary Sue, on the other hand, would probably won't feel a thing.

Captainplanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: Director Patty Jenkens herself said Diana will die from Bullets

What Source material did they use?

Captainplanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Captainplanet

@agent41: Did you watch Captain SJW movie?

Captainplanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Captainplanet