Better film: The Batman or The Northman?

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Limitless82

The Batman and The Northman:

two dark, gritty, haunting, atmospherical, "realistic", slow-burn action films, about two broody macho-heroes haunted by their childhood tragedies and obsessed with vengeance, which film do you think is better? And which did you enjoy more?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2 frozen  Moderator

Haven't seen The Northman but man I really need to see it. Excited for it.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I would highly recommend The Northman. absolutely freaking amazing film. As much as I loved The Batman, I think I enjoyed this even slightly more. Its tone, pace, style, and cinemaphotography share many similarities with The Batman actually, while its soundtracks reminded me of The Witcher video games.

A small reminder though -

The Northman is a very personal and slow-burn grim tale centered around the title character and his one-man-army quest for vengeance. So if you are going in expecting Braveheart/Troy/Spartacus/LOTR grand army-clashing epic-style battle scenes involving thousands, you will be absolutely disappointed. There are a few awesome action scenes full of blood and gore, but it is small-scaled and intimate, so yeah, adjust your expectation before you go in :-)

Instead of Braveheart, this is more like The Batman (the tone and style), meet Hamlet (the protagonist), meet Macbeth (the antagonists), meet Django Unchained (the journey).

BOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I didn't like the The Batman - so the comparisons to it aren't exactly encouraging - but you have enticed me to watch The Northman, lol.

Avatar image for jimjaspers20675
JimJaspers20675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Northman was Incredible.

Better then the Batman, and easily at that.

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Northman, loved it. Robert Egger is an amazing director

KingCarcosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Northman, by a decent margin.

LordTwigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The northman

Killer94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What kind of salt is this lmao

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 frozen  Moderator

@frozen: I would highly recommend The Northman. absolutely freaking amazing film. As much as I loved The Batman, I think I enjoyed this even slightly more. Its tone, pace, style, and cinemaphotography share many similarities with The Batman actually, while its soundtracks reminded me of The Witcher video games.

A small reminder though -

The Northman is a very personal and slow-burn grim tale centered around the title character and his one-man-army quest for vengeance. So if you are going in expecting Braveheart/Troy/Spartacus/LOTR grand army-clashing epic-style battle scenes involving thousands, you will be absolutely disappointed. There are a few awesome action scenes full of blood and gore, but it is small-scaled and intimate, so yeah, adjust your expectation before you go in :-)

Instead of Braveheart, this is more like The Batman (the tone and style), meet Hamlet (the protagonist), meet Macbeth (the antagonists), meet Django Unchained (the journey).

Damn this sounds like The Revenant, straight up my alley. Ill check it out. Also want to see Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Limitless82

Yeah now that you have mentioned it, it has a bit of The Revenant in it too. Put it this way - The Northman is not just another movie in the cinema, it is a cinematic experience to behold.

And yep I have also heard great thing about Everything Everywhere All At Once and looking forward to see it too, it is not yet available in my local cinema sadly, but it is definitely on my agenda.

Ningenoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ningenoid

Northman easily

vjbthe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like something that should be compared to green knight and not batman

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 frozen  Moderator

Yeah now that you have mentioned it, it has a bit of The Revenant in it too. Put it this way - The Northman is not just another movie in the cinema, it is a cinematic experience to behold.

And yep I have also heard great thing about Everything Everywhere All At Once and looking forward to see it too, it is not yet available in my local cinema sadly, but it is definitely on my agenda.

You've convinced me to fast track this, I've booked tickets to watch it. Looking forward to it, love meditative films like this.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16 socajunkie  Moderator

@vjbthe3: Why? The Green Knight was about a character’s journey to try passing tests centred around traditional knightly values.

Not much in common with The Northman besides both taking place in a fictional past.

vjbthe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@socajunkie: "very personal and slow-burn grim tale centered around the [main] character...it is small-scaled and intimate" that being said, after watching the movie, I agree. Not much in common. Though I'd say the northman had his own test to pass, if not as obviously presented.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

You've convinced me to fast track this, I've booked tickets to watch it. Looking forward to it, love meditative films like this.

Yep definitely check it out on the big screen with a good sound system, it is a treat. I look forward to hear what you think. :)

And yeah I do hope more people give films like The Northman and Everything Everywhere a chance. It kinda annoys me whenever I heard people whines about how Hollywood keeps pumping sequels/remakes and doesn't make creative original films anymore, yet the chance is most of them are also the ones who can't be bothered to go to the cinema to support the brilliant but lesser-known niche titles like this.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 frozen  Moderator

@limitless82:

@limitless82:I just finished it. I was blown away by it. Highly immersive and captivating. I'd have to say The Northman is superior here.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Damn, I'm surprised but glad you enjoyed it this much. I know The Batman is a high bar for you.

BOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Northman. Watched it earlier today and I thought it was underwhelming, but good nonetheless, tbh. Have it around a 6/10.

a8612152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By a8612152

Viners should stop making comparisons of completely different types of movies.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@limitless82:I just finished it. I was blown away by it. Highly immersive and captivating. I'd have to say The Northman is superior here.

I am really glad you have enjoyed it :)

Have you seen EVerything Everywhere All At Once yet?

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're not even in the same league.

D00mSlayer1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As simple and kinda cliche as the overall plot of The Northman was, it was still pretty entertaining and enjoyable. But I prefer The Batman. Interestingly, we did also see Robert Pattinson in The Lighthouse, another Robert Eggers movie.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

goldeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman. The Northman was good, but it kind of had a cliche ending.

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're not even in the same league.

Oh which is in the superior league of the other?

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers