Better duel: Anakin vs Obi in ROTS or Vader vs Obi in OWK series

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Edited By frozen  Moderator

Poll Better duel: Anakin vs Obi in ROTS or Vader vs Obi in OWK series (34 votes)

ROTS 91%
OWK series 9%
Can't decide 0%

Which is the better duel?

I'm going to have to go with ROTS... IMO the duel in OWK was sorely disappointing for a few reasons:

• Annoying shaky cam
  • Generic music (seriously... they played Duel of The Fates on set while filming the duel but chose to replace it with generic crap?!)
  • Too dark to see anything
  • Most of all, looked... cheap? Something about it looks like a fan film compared to ROTS. Even though ROTS is in front of a green screen, it looks so much more cinematic despite predating OWK by nearly 20 years
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
CryoLancer47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Mustafar duel craps all over the duels made by Disney.

Not even comparable in the slightest.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@frozen: Are you referring to the final OWK duel?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 frozen  Moderator

How is it that a film close to 20 years old looks better than a 2022 series? Its insanity. OWK should have looked as good as Andor in terms of visuals.

Obi Wan's powerup was pretty cool but man it was so dumb lmao. Why did he suddenly become stronger than Vader? It would have made more sense if he outsmarted Vader rather than just straight up overpower him.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 frozen  Moderator
nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By nassergrant19
@frozen said:
@nassergrant19 said:

@frozen: Are you referring to the final OWK duel?

Yeah. My bad if it wasn't clear.

Yeah all good. That specific duel rivaled the Mustafar fight imo. It was obvious less flashy due to Vader’s style, but extremely well choreographed. I’d still put Anakin vs Kenobi over it overall tho.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MF duel is better.

OWK duel is further F’d up by the prop team making the lightsabers much shorter for whatever reason which screws with the spacing

SonOfDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ROTS for sure, but the new one was cool I liked how they used the force more. But I agree it looked a little low budget.

CryoLancer47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CryoLancer47
@frozen said:
@cryolancer47 said:

How is it that a film close to 20 years old looks better than a 2022 series? Its insanity. OWK should have looked as good as Andor in terms of visuals.

Obi Wan's powerup was pretty cool but man it was so dumb lmao. Why did he suddenly become stronger than Vader? It would have made more sense if he outsmarted Vader rather than just straight up overpower him.

Well, first off, it requires passion & care.

George & Crew clearly cared about the final movie and were extremely passionate about it and the presentation. And wanted to make sure it deliveres an explosive ending to the Prequels.

Everything Disney Star Wars (Except for the Vader comics & some High Republic stuff) was just an artificial copy of what we already had. But just 10 times worse from writing, to the action.

And agreed on how Kenobi beat Vader. Despite how I liked that he overpowers him. I would've honestly preferred if he tried to outsmart him via prolonging the duel & then baiting him when he finds an opportunity.

That would've served to show that Vader was still letting himself get blinded by rage, instead of thinking things through against Obi-Wan. And would've given us a more believable W for Kenobi.

Instead we got the return of High Ground Lord 9000 to low-diff Vader and close the curtain (Not that I didn't think it was cool. But Kenobi suddenly getting Nigh-Omnipotent status against Anakin/Vader, gets less & less fun as time goes on)

RedHotStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ROTS for sure. Although I really liked the OBW final duel, ROTS clearly has a far better presentation with its top notch cinematography and writing

A_FINE_EDITION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the Kenobi duel was cool. Nice to see Vader move quickly (I HATE the notion of him being slow) and it was an interesting choice throughout the show to have him sound genuinely angry. Like I don’t think we’ve ever heard him snarl like he does in this series. As for the outcome I just interpret it as Obi getting one of those super-powered amps that briefly makes him way stronger than usual.

But I do agree the music wasn’t nearly as great. I like some of the score and thought it was pretty cool during the fight, but the score for RotS is in my opinion the greatest work Williams has ever done. Seriously, every single track in that movie is incredible and memorable to the point I can listen to it and envision the scenes perfectly. The whole climax of that film is nearly unbeatable for me.

Avatar image for jedisympathiz3r
JediSympathiz3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JediSympathiz3r

I prefer the RotS duel for the same reasons Frozen listed plus it had a far more interesting and unique environment for a lightsaber duel.

reaperace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 reaperace  Moderator

ROTS

Avatar image for wordsbeyondfic0
WordsBeyondFic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think everyone knows what the right answer is.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I give the prequels a hard time and all, but the Anakin vs Obi Wan battle in Episode III is one of the greatest fights in cinema imho.

Lord_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anakin and Obi Wan.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18 krisbishop  Moderator

ROTS easily. Arguably the best duel in all of Star Wars.

redheathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OWK series was lame. There is no comparison between the fights. ROT 10/10.

LightorDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not only was the choreography better, there were actual stakes and emotion. The music set the tone, too.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ROTS, not even close. I think the OWK final duel would've been better if it weren't for all the garbage story preceding it.

mr-yes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mr-yes

Still ROTS and it’s not all too close