Better comic writer: Jonathan Hickman or Grant Morrison

• 57 results
Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll: Better comic writer: Jonathan Hickman or Grant Morrison (39 votes)

Jonathan Hickman 38%
Grant Morrison 62%
 • 
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 morpheus_  Moderator

Hickman will one day be legend. Morrison's status is already mythic.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Vishop_

They both have contributed to so many big worldbuilding concepts in comics and they both have up and downs in my opinion. It's hard for me to choose but Hickman's ideas seems more comprehensible to me.

Scholomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison stomps.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison for sure, my appreciation of his stuff has really grown recently.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Magian

@vishop_ said: Hickman's ideas seems more comprehensible to me.

That part I agree with. Morrison has all these great ideas and concepts in his head but I think sometimes he can go a bit overboard with them, making his books a bit difficult to read through. But no one can deny he is very good.

Avatar image for finalkingthanos
FinalKingThanos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are up there in the best ever imo.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ready_4_Madness

Morrison is overrated. All Star Superman 🔥🔥🔥 though.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonathan Hickman

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison. His contribution to DC is immeasurable.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ProfessorRespect

Likely Morrison. His metafiction stuff on runs like Flex Mentallo and so forth are surprisingly refreshing, and his New X-Men run was fantastic for reinventing the team

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

morrison for sure the guy literally expanded the dc s cosmology as a whole without mentioning that he also put the vertigo wankers to shame

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hickman imo. Morrison had done some amazing stuff but he's pretty hit or miss for me

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer Hickman

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I admit that Morrison is talented, but I find his writing off-putting. Many times Hickman can lose himself in his own concepts, but the best Hickman is superior to the best Morrison.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vishop_
@adamtrmm said:

I admit that Morrison is talented, but I find his writing off-putting. Many times Hickman can lose himself in his own concepts, but the best Hickman is superior to the best Morrison.

Hickman's voice-over some characters becomes off-putting occasionally.

LukaDoncicmvp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morisson cv is way better.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_ said:

Haven't seen you in a while.

I was abroad :)

Hickman's voice-over some characters becomes off-putting occasionally.

An example?

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vishop_

I am not sure what is happening but I didn't get any notification of your reply. Something is wrong with CV lol. Happy New Year btw.

An example?

Thanos, Jean Grey, etc etc. Jean Grey and Emma's tête-à-tête on X-Men 3 was kinda off lol.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Mangaguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: That's a very interesting statement specially the latter part.

Why you think Morrison is becoming mythic ?

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hickman's Secret Wars and X-Men were awful to me. Even though I can't forgive Morrison for contributing to the Bat-God figure greatly, I love his stuff, especailly All-Star Superman.

TheSuperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Morrison

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

For me personally, I couldn't decide between the two. I enjoy both of their works immensely, yet for completely different reasons. But arguably two of the top tier best Comic Writers of all time IMO

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_ said:

@thor_parker82: What are your favorite writers' asides, Hickman?

• Stan Lee
  • JMS
  • Dan Jurgens
  • Rick Remender
  • Matt Fraction
  • Kurt Busiek
  • Brian Michael Bendis
  • Ed Brubaker

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vishop_

@thor_parker82: I guess the only reason u picked Bendis is Ultimate Spider-Man lol.

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison.

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_ said:

@thor_parker82: I guess the only reason u picked Bendis is Ultimate Spider-Man lol.

Not really, Bendis has other great stuff, he gets more hate than he deserves around here.

His Daredevil, Alias, House of M, Secret Invasion, New Avengers (Years 1-3 and Heroic Age), Avengers Vol. 4 (issues 1-12), Mighty Avengers, Dark Avengers, Ultimate Spider-Man and Defenders (2018) were all amazing, the problem is that the bad stuff he does is really bad and people like to point out mistakes more than wins.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_ said:

Not really, Bendis has other great stuff, he gets more hate than he deserves around here.

His Daredevil, Alias, House of M, Secret Invasion, New Avengers (Years 1-3 and Heroic Age), Avengers Vol. 4 (issues 1-12), Mighty Avengers, Dark Avengers, Ultimate Spider-Man and Defenders (2018) were all amazing, the problem is that the bad stuff he does is really bad and people like to point out mistakes more than wins.

lol Aside from Daredevil, Alias, Ultimate Spider-Man or even Dark Avengers, most of his comics like House of M(especially by X fans) or Avengers Vol. 4 are quite infamous. He has done more generic stuff than good or even decent comics. Avengers Vs X-Men, Age of Ultron, Civil War II, Ultimate X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, All-New X-Men, Guardians of Galaxy, Siege, Superman, Ultimate Fantastic Four are not well received by any means. I mean I was actually surprised to see that how Marvel still kept this guy around. He is worse than Aaron....

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_ said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@vishop_ said:

lol Aside from Daredevil, Alias, Ultimate Spider-Man or even Dark Avengers, most of his comics like House of M(especially by X fans) or Avengers Vol. 4 are quite infamous. He has done more generic stuff than good or even decent comics. Avengers Vs X-Men, Age of Ultron, Civil War II, Ultimate X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, All-New X-Men, Guardians of Galaxy, Siege, Superman, Ultimate Fantastic Four are not well received by any means. I mean I was actually surprised to see that how Marvel still kept this guy around. He is worse than Aaron....

House of M was pretty good though, I can obviously see the disgust by Wanda fans since it basically trashed her character, but the story itself was pretty good and engaging, from what I read non X fans like it quite a bit, and I'm a big Wanda fan myself, yet I enjoy it, especially now knowing the damage done to her in that story is mostly undone today.

Avengers Vol. 4 issues 1-12 were pretty good likewise, issues 13 and onwards were crap.

Siege was a fun read, nothing else.

I agree with the rest though, they're crap, but he does put out some amazing stories as well, like I said, he gets over-hated.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vishop_

@thor_parker82: X-fans hate HOM. Magneto was having angry daddy issues. Wolverine and Mystique were all over the place. It destroyed their legacy and mutants were on a brink of extinction. Now look, Hickman started to bring back their old status-quo, fans are actually quite happy about this.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They’re my 2 favourite writers, I’d say Morrison’s body of work is so much larger and his impact is also larger so he definitely deserves the nod on that alone. On quality, both are some of the smartest, most thought out and deep diving style of authors you can get in comics. Large plots, huge scope and scale, big seismic shifts in the franchises they work on.

I love both, I think both are the best authors of their respective companies but I give the edge to Morrison.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me personally, I couldn't decide between the two. I enjoy both of their works immensely, yet for completely different reasons. But arguably two of the top tier best Comic Writers of all time IMO

How?

They’re my 2 favourite writers, I’d say Morrison’s bodyof work is so much larger and his impact is also larger so he definitely deserves the nod on that alone. On quality, both are some of the smartest, most thought out and deep diving style of authors you can get in comics. Large plots, huge scope and scale, big seismic shifts in the franchises they work on.

I love both, I think both are the best authors of their respective companies but I give the edge to Morrison.

I think Hickman is gonna outscore Morrison soon. He has already made an influence with X-Men and he is only getting started. He said that he loves X-Men and what he is been doing on Avengers is only work. Not that he doesn't like his work but he said that his favorite characters are X-Men.

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_ said:

@thor_parker82: X-fans hate HOM. Magneto was having angry daddy issues. Wolverine and Mystique were all over the place. It destroyed their legacy and mutants were on a brink of extinction. Now look, Hickman started to bring back their old status-quo, fans are actually quite happy about this.

I don't remember anything wrong with Wolverine tbh, I'd have to re-read the event, it's been 7-8 years since I read it, it was one of the first comic books I read, so my rating might change on a re-read, but I remember enjoying it a lot back then.

Granted I barely knew anything about the characters and their history, sometimes I think that's the audience Bendis aims for, casual fans who don't care about continuity and just want to read a good/entertaining story, because that at least it was.

God_Spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#37 God_Spawn  Moderator

Hickman will one day be legend. Morrison's status is already mythic.

I’m convinced Morrison is basically a timelord.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Vishop_

@thor_parker82: Daniel Way(who is the worst Wolverine writer IIRC) was writing Wolverine's main arc and Wolverine was kinda oversaturated because the majority of the event was centred around with this character.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_ said:

I am not sure what is happening but I didn't get any notification of your reply. Something is wrong with CV lol. Happy New Year btw.

An example?

Thanos, Jean Grey, etc etc. Jean Grey and Emma's tête-à-tête on X-Men 3 was kinda off lol.

You didn't tag me, I only accidentally seen your response lol Happy new year bruv.

I wouldn't say that example is on point, it was playful and a bit on the noose, but not something I would call OOC.

If you talk about Thanos in the end of SW before Doom demolishes him it does feel stupid, but you could find subtext if we overanalyze it. For example, he knew he'd kill him and he knew he will be reborn after the universe is reset.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vishop_

@adamtrmm: @adamtrmm Sorry, I forgot to tag you.

I wouldn't say that example is on point, it was playful and a bit on the noose, but not something I would call OOC.

Oh, I was only kidding over that one lol. It was just a small chat in a friendly way. Fans on CBR took this thing way too seriously.

Though I believe how she was behaving on House of X is rather more OOC given she never feared death. Actually she was supposed to be a strong and collective character like she was portrayed on X-Force and X-Men Red.

If you talk about Thanos in the end of SW before Doom demolishes him it does feel stupid, but you could find subtext if we overanalyze it. For example, he knew he'd kill him and he knew he will be reborn after the universe is reset.

I think it was the whole thing where Thanos was obsessed about killing his son from Infinity is OOC. Thanos was supposed to be rather an intelligent being who is determined about power but he was differently portrayed by Hickman and that annoys me. Though I don't blame him for this, it was mostly Aaron's fault who wrote Thanos Rising.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_: idk about that just yet. Morrison’s put his stamp on Superman, Batman, The JLA, The X-Men, he lead the charge in making vertigo into what it was with Doom Patrol, Animal Man, Flex Mentallo and Kid Eternity, written Universe Changing events like 52, Final Crisis and Multiversity as well as currently putting his stamp on the GL Corps, all this over the course of 30+ years of working at DC with a sprinkle of Marvel.

Hickman is definitely on that track and I think in terms of quality he’s easily up there with the likes of Morrison (like I said he’s my 2nd fave comic author after Morrison) but in terms of impact and legacy he has a ways to go.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_: he wasn’t differently portrayed by Hickman? He wanted to kill his offspring so they would presumably never grow to a level where they could challenge his place in the universe.

Hickman’s Thanos was cold, calculating, emotionless and Uber powerful. Even the scene where he challenges Doom is great because it shows Thanos has no fear of death, or anything really. Even with the powers of god to him Doom was just a man, therefore beneath him.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vishop_

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

@vishop_: idk about that just yet. Morrison’s put his stamp on Superman, Batman, The JLA, The X-Men, he lead the charge in making vertigo into what it was with Doom Patrol, Animal Man, Flex Mentallo and Kid Eternity, written Universe Changing events like 52, Final Crisis and Multiversity as well as currently putting his stamp on the GL Corps, all this over the course of 30+ years of working at DC with a sprinkle of Marvel.

Hickman is definitely on that track and I think in terms of quality he’s easily up there with the likes of Morrison (like I said he’s my 2nd fave comic author after Morrison) but in terms of impact and legacy he has a ways to go.

I am not really underrating Morrison. His Batman and Invisibles are one of my favorite comics of all time. His New X-Men was good too. He has done so many worldbuilding/worldchanging comics that have affected both Marvel and DC numerous times. I have seen very few writers like him who are so much subtle towards continuity. He has been working for more than a couple of decades with respect to Hickman.

Hickman has also created quite a number of notables comics within such a short time. East of West, FF, Avengers, New Avengers, Infinity, Secret Wars, House of X and Powers of X, Manhattan Projects, Secret Warriors, Shield, Ultimates, Ultimate Thor are some of the best comics out there. Out of this East of West, New Avengers and HOX/POX are my favorite Hickman comics and he only started writing like 12 years ago.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_: he wasn’t differently portrayed by Hickman? He wanted to kill his offspring so they would presumably never grow to a level where they could challenge his place in the universe.

He was way too much obsessed with Death's love which he had left behind since IG. IIRC that was one of the reasons why he was so much obsessed to kill his son. It felt cheap as if the whole character development was vanished out of thin air. In my opinion that was the worst part from Infinity Gauntlet.

Au_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on how much you like meta stuff to be honest. They are both goat tier in my book

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_: I don’t remember him being obsessed with death all that much, in fact I was thinking about it earlier and how it was nice that Thanos wasn’t moping about his love death like he was in Thanos Rising.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_: I do think that in the amount of time Hickman’s been doing his thing, he’s made a greater stamp than Morrison did (in that specific initial 12 year time frame) and he will one day be at the same level no question. But again, like we’ve both said Morrison just has so much more time devoted to everything so rn his impact is larger. Even if you bring up creator owned, Invisibles, Filth, Sea Guy, Joe the Barbarian, Klaus, Happy! It just keeps racking up.

All in all I love both writers, no one does the comic book game better than either of them (except for maybe Alan Moore).

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vishop_

@vishop_: I don’t remember him being obsessed with death all that much, in fact I was thinking about it earlier and how it was nice that Thanos wasn’t moping about his love death like he was in Thanos Rising.

Read Thanos Rising and the beginning of Infinity. Thanos went back to his home planet to return back to so-called the love of his life i.e "Death" but she rejected her and she learned about what he is been doing when he was gone(hooking up with filthy women lol). These all connects to Hickman's Infinity.

@vishop_: I do think that in the amount of time Hickman’s been doing his thing, he’s made a greater stamp than Morrison did (in that specific initial 12 year time frame) and he will one day be at the same level no question. But again, like we’ve both said Morrison just has so much more time devoted to everything so rn his impact is larger. Even if you bring up creator owned, Invisibles, Filth, Sea Guy, Joe the Barbarian, Klaus, Happy! It just keeps racking up.

All in all I love both writers, no one does the comic book game better than either of them (except for maybe Alan Moore).

Hickman created quite a number of creator-owned comics too. But it's Fair enough to say that Morrison having more comics than Hickman. Though Hickman's concepts on worldbuilding seemed more comprehensible for me.

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Thor_Parker82

@vishop_: I just remembered another really good book from Bendis, and that was Infamous Iron Man, the last two books Bendis did in Marvel (Infamous Iron Man and Defenders) were really good.

charlesvvv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

@thor_parker82: definitely a pretty good run but the last issue was upsetting.