Better character: Spider-Man or Daredevil?

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Better character: Spider-Man or Daredevil? (34 votes)

Peter 62%
Matt 38%

Spidey is far more iconic and by far my personal favourite but an argument can be made for Matt being the overall better character.

• 
TheWillOfD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter Parker

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil stomps. I love spider-man but matt is written a lot better and his stories have much more consistent quality

BOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the version, but conceptually, I prefer Matt.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6010236cc
deactivated-628e6010236cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matt.

D00mSlayer1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By D00mSlayer1993

Daredevil for sure. Although I do prefer Spider-Man’s villains over most of Daredevil’s. His are so lame imo. Bullseye’s sick tho.

TheWillOfD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm honestly surprised people chose Dare Devil over Spider-man 🤔

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewillofd: Glad to see most people here are cultured. I swear, Spidey would get 90% of votes if you just ask casuals.

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Honestly both are great but overrated characters.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heiqn: Every character with a sizeable following will inevitably get overrated.

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@heiqn: Every character with a sizeable following will inevitably get overrated.

Agreed

JComics2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heiqn said:

Honestly both are great but overrated characters.

That's right.

KingCarcosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil. He's maybe the best character Marvel ever created.

dami24434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matt cos better comics, i don't read spiderman comics tbh ,not my type

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingcarcosa: He's got so many great comic runs: Frank Miller, Ann Noncenti (not sure if I spelled her name right), Kevin Smith (brief though it was), Brian Michael Bendis, Mark Waid, Ed Brubaker and Chip Zdarsky all wrote great DD comics. Few comic characters have this many good comics.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Him

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Peter, but they‘re both top 2 in Marvel. Daredevil is more consistently well-written though.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah as a character I prefer Spider-Man over DD, but DD has had better writing throughout the years

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

If I am being honest Matt is great but most of the time he's a bit of a dick. Peter is the nicest guy ever and probably has one of the best personalities in comics.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Parker.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-man- The greatest Marvel character in my opinion. It's between Spider-man and Batman for best superhero. Spider-man was good from the getgo and Batman was still alright from his origins but was consistently good from the 1980s to 2000s where I think he surpassed Spider-man in writing, and Batman crushed it with the Batman Animated Series adaptation which reaches even more people beyond having two acclaimed stories Dark Knight Returns and Year One that most people are more likely to read than Spider-man...although, if people were to read a comic run, then they'd probably go with Stan Lee's Spider-man over any long running Batman run.

Daredevil was a weaker Spider-man and Batman.

Daredevil has great runs but I didn't think he was interesting pre-Miller, and even, Miller's 1980s Daredevil wasn't that interesting of a character. Great vehicle for action but the story elements around him were better.

I don't think Daredevil was that interesting until Ann Nocenti and then Frank Miller's Man Without Fear was interesting, and for better character...I don't think Daredevil has the superpower fantasy appeal as Spider-man. He's kinda emo Spidey or Batman more appealing to a teenage angst artsy "intellectual" crowd if you get my drift.

Not saying he is that, but for a better character in a general sense, Spider-man has more appeal for an uplifting powerfantasy for most people, especially children which I think is the most important audience for superheroes.

Hulk might be the second best Marvel character after Spider-man but I have to read more.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man because I've never read a DD comic and the versions of Matt I know are way below most versions of Peter.

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22 Lilbroomstick  Online

I'm biased for Parker

Darkvanderling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter Parker easily. Matt is a great character though.

RIKR2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Peter Parker easily. Matt is a great character though.

this

NovaPrime2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tie.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Absolutely, Peter is really down to earth and a very likeable person. You can admire many superheroes for their abilities or their cool designs but Spidey is one of few you'd adore mostly for his personality.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-man- The greatest Marvel character in my opinion. It's between Spider-man and Batman for best superhero. Spider-man was good from the getgo and Batman was still alright from his origins but was consistently good from the 1980s to 2000s where I think he surpassed Spider-man in writing, and Batman crushed it with the Batman Animated Series adaptation which reaches even more people beyond having two acclaimed stories Dark Knight Returns and Year One that most people are more likely to read than Spider-man...although, if people were to read a comic run, then they'd probably go with Stan Lee's Spider-man over any long running Batman run.

Daredevil has great runs but I didn't think he was interesting pre-Miller, and even, Miller's 1980s Daredevil wasn't that interesting of a character. Great vehicle for action but the story elements around him were better.

I don't think Daredevil was that interesting until Ann Nocenti and then Frank Miller's Man Without Fear was interesting, and for better character...I don't think Daredevil has the superpower fantasy appeal as Spider-man. He's kinda emo Spidey or Batman more appealing to a teenage angst artsy "intellectual" crowd if you get my drift.

Not saying he is that, but for a better character in a general sense, Spider-man has more appeal for an uplifting powerfantasy for most people, especially children which I think is the most important audience for superheroes.

Hulk might be the second best Marvel character after Spider-man but I have to read more.

Disagree with you on about no decent run after Miller's run till Nocenti. Dennis I Neil. I am not here to pick pointers about what were the specifics that Neil's makes it so goooood and underrated. But It introduced Yuriko one of the Logan's antatognist plus it was the sheer aftermath and how Matt swore to revenge upon Bullseye which went one of best climaxes in entire Daredevil comic book history where Daredevil had one v one against Bullseye in his father's ring.I thought Nocenti's was way too peaceful and it was only notable because it introduced Mary.

About Spider-Man, I am sure there is not enough quality compared to modern Daredevil comics which had some of the iconic runs starting with Miller's Born Again. Spider-Man doesn't have any iconic book. Heck Spider-Man had some of the downright atrocious comics.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_ said:
@infinitehope said:

Disagree with you on about no decent run after Miller's run till Nocenti. Dennis I Neil. I am not here to pick pointers about what were the specifics that Neil's makes it so goooood and underrated. But It introduced Yuriko one of the Logan's antatognist plus it was the sheer aftermath and how Matt swore to revenge upon Bullseye which went one of best climaxes in entire Daredevil comic book history where Daredevil had one v one against Bullseye in his father's ring.I thought Nocenti's was way too peaceful and it was only notable because it introduced Mary.

About Spider-Man, I am sure there is not enough quality compared to modern Daredevil comics which had some of the iconic runs starting with Miller's Born Again. Spider-Man doesn't have any iconic book. Heck Spider-Man had some of the downright atrocious comics.

I didn't finish reading Denny O'Neil's run, so I might agree with you if I finish it. Great to hear it's so good! His Iron Man run was one of my favorites!

While I think David Micheline's Iron Man characterization was better, Denny O'Neil's Iron Man run was up there as one of the most heartwrenching comic runs I've read with his Tony dealing with his addiction, and with how dark of a character Daredevil can get, I wouldn't be surprised if I agree with you that it was a good run so I'm now looking forward to checking out again.

Nocenti's Daredevil wasn't as much of my cup of tea either, but, impartially, I think it was the best characterization for Daredevil I read up to that point, and one of the better characterizations in comics with how she fleshed out Daredevil's struggle with vice and virtue, his belief system, and politics, but D.G. Chichester's Daredevil was my favorite since, if I remember correctly, moved Daredevil past the dualistic belief that Nocenti established. It's not as good of a run as Nocenti since it didn't bring as much to the table with how much she explored and didn't bring so much lore wise to Daredevil like Frank Miller (although, I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who was too bored to read pre-Miller....I tried reading the Stan Lee run multiple times and Daredevil was lame Spider-man/Batman) and action wise Frank Miller's Daredevil is at the top....possibly the best action Marvel run ever, but characterization-wise, I think D.G. Chichester's was the most interesting besides Frank Miller's Man Without Fear characterization.

Daredevil might have had many good runs from a plot perspective even before Miller starting from Stan Lee's run, and with how good of a writer Gerry Conway is, I wouldn't be surprised if his run was well written but we're talking about who is the better character, so I'm referring to specific characterization, and I don't think Daredevil was that interesting a character until Nocenti.

Regarding Spider-man, I agree with you modern Spider-man not comparing to modern Daredevil. If we were to judge superheroes the way things are right now, from what I read, Daredevil is the top Marvel character but it's probably only a matter of time before Daredevil is...I don't even want to think about it with the direction of DC and Marvel have been going. Thankfully, I don't think Daredevil has had anything as bad as Spider-man One More Day.

Spider-man, with the exception of Denny O'Neil's run (woof!) was well written from his 1962 origins to maybe the early 90s.

Spider-man had some decent stuff after that but Daredevil is probably better than any Marvel character that I read in the 2000s.

Even though Chip Zdarksy's Daredevil run didn't bring as much to the lore as Brubaker where it may have come across as a retread, I thought it was a better written characterization for Daredevil.

Lee Week's Daredevil characterization for Daredevil might be the most virtuous Marvel superhero I read in the more modern time but I don't think it was one the most interesting characterizations.

When talking about what's the better character, I think it's important to look at the foundational origins because of the creative directions with these characters since I think so much of it is going to the gutter.

And it's important to look at what what's going to appeal to the majority of people in a way that will hold up throughout time.

Of course, the writing has to be there. If Spider-man is a more appealing concept to more people but doesn't have writing that compares to Daredevil, then Daredevil wins, but being that I think Spider-man does have good writing and has a more appealing concept, he wins out.

I think Daredevil is too dark of a superhero to have the appeal like Spider-man.

And I think the Spider-man Master Planner Saga is better than any Daredevil story.

Born Again is better than Kraven's Last Hunt though...but Spider-man is a more compelling character in Kraven's Last Hunt than Daredevil is in Born Again.

Captain America is a more compelling character than Daredevil is in Born Again in my opinion.

Thanks for your reply. It's been awhile since we had one of these conversations.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infinitehope: Batman and Daredevil have both similar dark character tropes. I am surprised you havent noticed that yet since you are big Batman fan. Spider-Man had dark comics too and some of them are bleak and nihilistic. Then there is Raimi Spider-Man which is also pretty dark compared to usual goofy Spider-Man. Also if you think Born Again is better than Last Hunt(which I havent read so I cant comment on that). Why do think BA Daredevil is not better than Last Hunt? It's even written in the title that this whole story is character driven with respect to Daredevil's identity being exposed to Fisk.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By infinitehope

@vishop_: I agree that they are similar. That's a reason I thought Daredevil was originally a weaker Batman/Spider-man based on my readings of Stan Lee's run, but I never finished it.

Recent modern Batman might be darker than Daredevil going by recent comics that I read, and not in a good way such as, if I remember correctly, Daredevil Born Again is one of the more hopeful uplifting comic stories with Daredevil going through the wringer facing so much darkness but coming up on top in a hopeful direction.

Maybe I need to re-read Born Again to see how much characterization it gave to Matt but I don’t think there was characterization insight like Batman Year One's Bruce’s “Fear of God repetition.

Brian Azarrello's and Scott Snyder's was nihilistic as well as New 52 Batman and Robin Tomasi. I don't even want to get into the Tom King garbage. Although, I thought Brian Azarrello's was garbage.

I would not argue for Batman being one of the best superheroes based on those runs, moreso runs from 1980s and despite Batman's 1939 origins of little 8 year old Bruce Wayne swearing by the spirits of his parents to wage war on all criminals, and still being a dark character, I don't think he was a bleak character in the Bill Finger comics, especially when he focused more on raising Robin to help him mature. It was kinda of an innocent struggling older brother relationship. Daredevil was fatalistic in the Stan Lee comics I read and Ann Nocenti fleshed that out, and then I think DG Chichester moved Daredevil into being a struggling Catholic. Although, I didn't finish reading Stan Lee's Daredevil so maybe he moved him past being fatalistic, especially since Daredevil might have been younger and with all the tragedy he dealt with growing up, it's understandable why he'd have a darker outlook, and despite the darker outlook, he chose the path of the hero, which could him a more hopeful character to audiences, similar to how Batman is a dark, yet hopeful character fighting through Hell every day in what could appear like a hopeless situation in Gotham. It just seemed like in the early Stan Lee comics, Daredevil didn't have much going on psychologically where he was just more simply happy go lucky swashbuckler as opposed to Batman and Spider-man having their quippy ness but they still were more psychologically more realistic, which is why I'm arguing for them being better characters. But maybe Stan Lee played up Daredevil's happy go lucky swashbuckler characterization as a mask for Matt hiding his pain which then would elevate him to Batman and Spider-man being a more realized character.

For me, Nightwing was a more realized cheery character since Batman put in the years of work going through the pain so that Dick didn't have to go through what he did, so Dick didn't suffer like Bruce so he could be more cheery.

Aesthetically, with Batman's more theatrical blue/black and grey outfit and vehicles and toys, which I do think reflects on Batman's psychology, Batman doesn't have that visual darkness that Daredevil has being dressed as a devil where I don't think that devil aspect was even built into the psychology of Daredevil like Batman using his Bat theatrics to strike fear in the hearts of criminals. I forget if Frank Miller established the Daredevil outfit being tied to Matt being bullied and taking up his father's daredevil boxing mantle or if Stan Lee established that.

I think Chip Zdarksky might have built into the psychology of his interpretation of Daredevil being that he went more into his faith, but originally, I think he's just a guy supposed to be dressed as a devil, and I think that's a visual turn off to people compared to Batman where Batman's more amicable look is more appealing to general audiences...but if Batman is as nihilistic and dark as he was written in runs such as Brian Azarrello, it doesn't matter how visually nicer Batman looks, I would not prop him up as an appealing character to most people young or old.

Going by those recent comics, I think I'd put Daredevil as the best superhero thanks to Chip Zdarksy and Lee Week's Daredevil but he's one of the only superheroes I bothered to check out since so much is lousy, but thankfully there's still stand alone interpretations if people don't want to continue with comic continuity, and I doubt most people would read all of a characters continuity but Batman Year One stands alone as a great characterization, and people have a great version with Batman the Animated Series as well as the great 90s Batman the Animated Series comics and even the recent Batman the Animated Series comics were good. And the Christopher Nolan Batman was a good hero.

I'd say Nolan Batman and Raimi Spider-man were among the best live action superheroes. I'm missing out on various live action superheroes though such as the Linda Carter Wonder Woman.

Regarding, Kraven's Last Hunt...I think it's overrated but it's still good so I would recommend it.

I think Spider-man was a more interesting character in Kraven's Last Hunt with how they showed Spider-man's relationship with Mary Jane and struggle with descending into madness whereas I don't think Daredevil was that interesting in Born Again.

There needed to be some more internal monologue or maybe more visual nuances to elevate his characterization more, and maybe if taken into continuity, it wasn't necessary for fans, but as a standalone comic, Spider-man was more interesting in Kraven's Last Hunt.

Thanks for following up. It's great hearing from you.