Better Action Movie - Mad Max or Civil War

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Better Action Movie - Mad Max or Civil War (51 votes)

Mad Max : Fury Road 53%
Captain America : Civil War 47%
No Caption Provided

Which is a better action movie in your opinion?

• 
GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should be a close one but there are a few minor flaws in Fury Road that prevent me from calling it the superior film to Civil War overall. Namely, the fact Furiosa is probably too dominant of a character and shown far more than the titular role of Max, which calls into question why even have the film titled Mad Max when he's more or less a supporting role. He spends half the movie either warding off the Wild boys/fixing things or needing to be rescued, whereas, Civil War did its best to show the conflicting views of Cap/Iron Man and showed both roles as having stakes whether they win or lose in their conflict. The other being the much more concise plot of Civil War, which blended in the action far more seamlessly than the epic glorified chase scene of Fury Road. There also seems to be a lot more subplots resolved between Tchalla's quest for revenge, Iron Man's conflict with Cap, and how all of the other characters fit in with their respective sides that interested me more than Furiosa keeping Immortan Joe's women safe (Which is what the plot revolved around). That and the Airport fight scene and battle scenes are slightly better in Civil War imo, they're both high tier films but Civil War is better by a bit

Drmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mad max fury road

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By PeterParkerJr

Mad Max

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mad max is one of the greatest action films I've ever witnessed , like legit , a plot so simple entertained me , amazing cinematography , great pacing , there's a reason it is placed in 50 greatest movies ever made

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CW.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm surprised Civil War is outclassing Mad Max so significantly. Then again, this is a comic book site (and general discussion).

That said, I'm partial to Captain America: Civil War. Mad Max: Fury Road was BATSHIT INSANE the first time I witnessed it in cinemas, and still borderline exhilarating on second viewing, but third viewing was stretching it, and fourth and fifth I found the film to be empty. It did something for me, but doesn't anymore. The action sequences, bar Max vs. Furiosa, are overrated. I think the film got more praise for the insanity of the atmosphere and music then the action itself. Because a lot of it is bland. The visual storytelling wasn't to my taste.

Captain America: Civil War just blows me away. The film manages to be a fun superhero event film, while also exploring the ideological conflict between Tony and Steve and making it impossible to pick a side. Virtually every character is a scene stealer - Bucky retains his badassery, the character of Scarlet Witch and Vision are bothfleshed out and get development, Black Widow is the most caring member of the "family" regarding them as nothing other than that, Black Panther completes an entire arc in 10 minutes (not the best screenwriting, but for a supporting character introduced for the sake of setting up a standalone film, that is impressive) - Spider-Man, Ant-Man and Hawkeye are all fantastic. And for the first time in a Marvel film... the villain won. I never thought we'd see that coming. Compelling story, excellent characters and outstanding action made this an instant classic for me.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Mad Max a lot more than Civil War.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

manny_int

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mad Max

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I fell asleep watching Mad Max, so Civil War automatically wins.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MAZAHS117

Fury Road, it's just so bada$$

stark05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

max lags in action scenes

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Mad Max

that movie was amazing

Civil War was just ok

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4aa3ce73eb2
deactivated-5f4aa3ce73eb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mad Max, barely.

Both are rewatchable and great movies with depth and good action scenes.

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fury Road stomps. It's not only a great action movie, but also a great example of well-crafted feminist cinema. A lot of people miss the deeper subtextual aspects of the movie, and I did for a while too. This is a great series that explores the movie's feminist themes.

And no, I'm not saying it's better than CW purely because it's a good exploration of feminist themes and a clever satirization of traditional action movies that attacks patriarchal structures, and whilst it is all that, it's also, in my opinion plainly a better movie than CW with better action, cinematography and a more coherent, tonally consistent plot.