Best Vertigo series to start with?

Hamill_190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hamill_190

I'm looking to start a Vertigo collection and was wondering what you guys thought I should start with. Right now I've got my eye on Sandman, American Vampire and Y: The Last Man. What would you say is the best? Or are there any others worth diving into?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2 JediXMan  Moderator

The Sandman, followed by both Death mini series.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hamill_190: Sandman is my favorite Vertigo series of all time and it's just the right length.

Hellblazer is a close second but it gets slow at times and is pretty lengthy is your looking to complete it. ( I still haven't)

Mike Carey's Sandman spin off "Lucifer" is alot of fun but I wouldn't recommend getting into until after reading Sandman. I found the series starts kind of slow and awkward but really picks up after awhile.

Finally, Id recommend Doom Patrol and Animal Man, both by Grant Morrison. Morrison completely redefined the Doom Patrol and as for Animal Man...well....you just have to read it, its a trip.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Billy Batson

There are plenty of great Vertigo series that are worth getting into.

I wouldn't say there's a "best series to start with", they're all separate books done by various creators and most have a definite ending. If you don't like one particular series, you could still enjoy another series. Taste vary and all that.

To name some Vertigo series I've enjoyed myself besides the ones you've mentioned: 100 Bullets; DMZ; Fables; Greek Street; Hellblazer; Human Target; The Losers; Lucifer; Madame Xanadu; Northlanders; Sandman Mystery Theatre; Scalped; Shade, the Changing Man; Sweet Tooth; Transmetropolitan; Unknown Soldier; The Unwritten

I've also heard House of Secret was great too.

BB

Avatar image for thesmallvillefan12
TheSmallvillefan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They're all great but for me personally Y: The Last Man. Its my favorite comic series of all time

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Skit

Well first off there's the DC connected one's Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Hellblazer, Doom Patrol, Shade the changing man, Sandman and Lucifer.

Then there's 100 Bullets, Y: the last man, transmetropolitan , DMZ, Fables, etc. You could just pick randomly and you would have a pretty good chance of getting something good, Vertigo has consistency going for it.

If I where to pick a top 5, for me it would be. Fables, Transmetropolitan, Animal Man, Preacher and Sandman since that's basically God's gift to most people.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By the_tree

Scalped, Transmetropolitan, and iZombie are all great series you should check out.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There are plenty of great Vertigo series that are worth getting into.

I wouldn't say there's a "best series to start with", they're all separate books done by various creators and most have a definite ending. If you don't like one particular series, you could still enjoy another series. Taste vary and all that.

To name some Vertigo series I've enjoyed myself besides the ones you've mentioned: 100 Bullets; DMZ; Fables; Greek Street; Hellblazer; Human Target; The Losers; Lucifer; Madame Xanadu; Northlanders; Sandman Mystery Theatre; Scalped; Shade, the Changing Man; Sweet Tooth; Transmetropolitan; Unknown Soldier; The Unwritten

I've also heard House of Secret was great too.

BB

Great list expect that you haven't mentioned Preacher.

@hamill_190: Hellblazer basically started it all

That would be Swamp Thing way back in 83 that was the first DC comic that was released without the code and was targeted at mature readers. Sure Vertigo was first started in 93 but the journey began with Swamp Thing. Then series like Animal Man and Doom Patrol.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lykopis

@jedixman said:

This, although Y: The Last Man is a very close second. Fables is pretty cool as well.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Well I'm starting with Fables. But I got into Vertigo through Neil Gaiman's Black Orchid.

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would definately start with fables for a first vertigo series its easy to understand an has great story & art, then id start to start going towards sandman, y the last man, hellblazer, american vamp, etc...

Hamill_190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@queencorp15: I'm thinking Sandman is the way to go now, but man, there seems to be tonnes of great Vertigo stuff. I looked at starting with Fables before realising there was 19 TPBs to catch up on. Lots of money.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JediXMan  Moderator
@lykopis said:

@jedixman said:

This, although Y: The Last Man is a very close second. Fables is pretty cool as well.

Fables is really good.

I thought Y: The Last Man was a bit overrated. I enjoyed it, but it didn't live up to the hype - at least not for me. The Sandman exceeded all my expectations, despite all of the hype around it.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

i think y:the last man

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Hellblazer, Sandman, Swamp Thing, Fables, and Preacher are my personal faves

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

Great list expect that you haven't mentioned Preacher.

Huh, I thought I had put it.

@jedixman said:
@lykopis said:

@jedixman said:

Fables is really good.

I thought Y: The Last Man was a bit overrated. I enjoyed it, but it didn't live up to the hype - at least not for me. The Sandman exceeded all my expectations, despite all of the hype around it.

Yeah, Y has become pretty overhyped.

BB

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Transformers1024

Y: The Last Man is extremely good, but The Sandman is one of the best comics I have ever read. It is utterly brilliant. Oh, and Swamp Thing's run when he was in Vertigo was really good from what I've read so far.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol is really good, too.

I don't think it was originally Vertigo, but I believe the subsequent trades are - also, it's listed as Vertigo on the site, so I guess it counts.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:
@lykopis said:

@jedixman said:

Fables is really good.

I think maybe that's where I got lucky. I discovered the series without ever having heard of it before, so I went into it not expecting (or knowing) a thing about it. The Sandman I did know about and I agree -- it was even better than I expected, for sure.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JediXMan  Moderator
@lykopis said:

@jedixman said:
@lykopis said:

@jedixman said:

Fables is really good.

I think maybe that's where I got lucky. I discovered the series without ever having heard of it before, so I went into it not expecting (or knowing) a thing about it. The Sandman I did know about and I agree -- it was even better than I expected, for sure.

That might have been my problem. I hadn't heard about the series until not long after the final issue was released - a time when people were really excited and enthusiastic over the series. I ended up reading it a few years later when I got into Vertigo, and so I was a bit disappointed.

Of course, it was also after I read the Sandman. So perhaps I was subconsciously trying to compare the two and... well, that wouldn't exactly be a fair comparison (again: Sandman is my absolute favorite comic book series).

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman:

That's too funny -- I read Sandman after I read Y so I just went from good to better, lol.

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Transmetropolitan, Preacher, or Sandman. I ignored convention and started with Shade, the Changing Man. I love Peter Milligan.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Billy Batson

@misteranderson said:

I ignored convention and started with Shade, the Changing Man. I love Peter Milligan.

No Caption Provided

BB

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Fables is a good place to start.

petermed51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Y: The Last Man is the best series I have ever read so I would recommend starting there. The Sandman is in my top 3 as well so definitely pick it up and Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol is so weird and crazy that it is spectacular!

Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aero_gt

Y- the Last Man.